wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.4

on 9/18/2018 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Bought this on a whim to test out - I picked up shade 366C Buff Bisque, I'm normally NC20-25-ish during the summer/spray tan months. In a nutshell, this looks GREAT in photos, smells horrible, packaging is a little bulky, and the spatula probably has a lot of bacteria lingering on it. It's cheap (like $5 or so at ULTA?) This isn't as long lasting as my go to matte formulas, but for flawless foundation in photographs I'm willing to keep it around. I'd repurchase!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

After test-running this on myself for a while, I ended up adding it to my pro-kit because it really does photograph GORGEOUSLY and the price can't be beat. The main drawbacks are thus: it smells like paint...literally Home Depot interior latex house paint; It is not specifically a long-wear formula. I have worked around this for a recent bridal party job by using Wayne Goss' technique of combining and layering with setting spray and it really did the trick! My bride was asked about 8 hours after her makeup was done if it had just been done an hour or 2 before. The color range on this is decent for a drugstore and some websites like Ulta offer an extended range. Coverage is medium and fairly buildable. Texture blends out nicely and can be sheered. Shades may set darker than they appear in bottle, but oddly the color range skews toward paler than you would expect from the description. (I'm usually around NC20 and wear mostly "fair-light" range products and I was in the "light-medium" category with this product. ") This may not be a luxury foundation, but it works and it does the job very, very well. For someone like me who needs to keep multiple shades on hand and can't shell-out for $45 a bottle, it's fantastic!

on 3/30/2018 3:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This is one of my favourite drugstore foundation (I also love the Milani Conceal & Perfect 2-1; Covergirl Ready Set Gorgeous; l’Oréal Infaillible Pro-Matte; L’Oréal Infaillible Pro-Glow) and in my experience with the foundation, the pros outweigh the cons.

For reference: I’m a NC 42 (MAC), I have combo-oily skin with medium size pores and redness accross my cheeks and nose. I used the color Desert Beige in the Photo Focus Foundation but it’s a tad too dark during winter time so I have to mix in the color Classic Beige.

Pros: medium buildable to full coverage, matte but not flat finish, lasts all day long, doesn’t break up during the day, a little goes a long way, oil-controling very cheap price point (7$cad/5$usd)

Cons: doesn’t have a pump, packaging with a spatula which I find very messy, may not be suitable for dry skin as it was mattifying on my combo-oily skin and controlled my oil throughout the day, can look heavy if applied too much, nasty plastic-y smell

on 1/22/2018 11:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This product looked really great upon initial application. The color was a perfect match and gave a natural finish with medium coverage which I loved. However a couple hours into the wear, it began to feel heavy on the skin and made me look oilier than normal for someone with combination/oily skin. I also came to find out that it was causing me to breakout, which may have been the glycerin ingredient in it as MAC Fix + also broke me out. Everyone is right regarding the smell, it smells like paint but I found that it faded and I couldn't smell it throughout the day. If this foundation didn't make my skin react the way it did, I would actually like it.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I would try this again because it is so cheap. $4.68 at Walmart and this product does have $1.00 off coupons! A foundation for $3.68?! I originally got Golden Beige, but it is a bit too dark for me (little too orange). The color I needed was not available, so I will keep an eye out for a lighter shade and try again. I forgot to take my sample with me to the store.

The coverage is light/medium. I was able to get it to medium, but not full coverage because I did not want to look cakey. The product does come with a spatula built into the lid, I like that since it is better than using your fingers or no pump. This foundation does have a paint like smell, but it does go away when it dries. I was worried this would break me out because of the smell, but I only used this for a 14 hour day. So not sure with continuous use if breakout will occur.

The color will oxidize a bit, so pick a shade a bit lighter.

I was comparing this side by side with Estee Lauder double wear on my face, because EL is my holy grail foundation. For 14 hours, the performance was quite comparable. This foundation did help to control my oils. I did not get greasy at all. It did disappear on the area that I did a second coat. My freckles and sun spots started to peek through, while they were still hidden on the EL side.

But for the price, I say give it a try.

on 11/22/2017 3:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I really like this foundation (bronze beige is my shade) and prefer to apply with a sponge although a brush works okay too. I like to use a light layer of it because it can settle into my laugh lines easily. It lasts long, covers well, and I think does what it says it'll do. I don't put the applicator directly on my face (idk if that's what it's for or not) but I also don't do that with any other foundations. I think it performs well for the price point. I think the foundation range REALLY SUCKS and I took points off for that (so I guess there's 20 shades available but they only had 6 of the lightest shades on display at the CVS I went to. In fact, mine was the third darkest). It matches me well, but it's really limited for others so minus points. I'd definitely repurchase though. Another thing, it has a strong chemical scent which can be annoying but it does go away.
UPDATE- I'm actually looking for other foundations because I really hate the smell. I think on a budget, this is really good. If I really didn't want to spend much on foundation, I would go back to this.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

The Wet n Wild Photofocus foundation is a very basic foundation. I heard so much hype about this product that I had to try it out for myself and was pretty underwhelmed with my own personal results. For background info, I have oily, acne-prone skin with slight acne scarring. I'm light/medium with very warm undertones. I think this foundation is okay. It's not the best foundation I've tried, but I've also used far worse foundation. The color selection seems a bit off to me. The Soft Beige is just a touch too dark, but I can work with it. A shade lighter would have been too light. This foundation is definitely a medium coverage, but is buildable without looking cakey. Even so, I feel like on days where my skin isn't looking so great, I wouldn't wear this foundation without also using concealer. I feel like the finish is more satin than matte and found that my T-Zone ended up being extra oily by the end of the day. There's also no photo flashback, which is super nice. I'd prefer a pump over the spatula, but it's not super inconvenient. I personally wouldn't repurchase this, but it's not a bad foundation! I imagine this would look better on someone with a more even complexion and skin that's more on the dry side.

on 9/25/2017 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

i have tried many foundations from high end to very low end and this is the first one that i dont have ANY complaints about.

i wear this foundation in shell ivory and it blends seamlessly. i have never found a foundation shade that matches me so well. i like that i can use a little bit and get a light natural coverage or i can build it up to a more complete coverage. it stays in place all day on my dry/oily skin.

i like the sturdy glass bottle it comes in and i do like the spatula applicator but i feel that is not always the most sanitary way to apply it.

i love that i can pick it up at my local drugstore. i highly recommend trying it out if you're on the fence.

on 9/21/2017 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

So I have been looking for a new HG foundation for awhile now. I decided to give this ago after seeing Casey Holmes YT video. I initially bought soft beige. I really like the coverage it is versatile coverage from light to full coverage. It does not look cakey, shade ranges. I did find soft beige to oxidize a lot on me and was too dark of a shade to begin with. So I bought soft ivory which seems to be my correct shade and does not oxidize. I really like this foundation, I would prefer a pump to a spatula, but for the price I can't complain. This foundation looks good, last a good 8 hours. I would recommend to use a primer for longevity. This is a foundation that I will continue to use and will repurchase. This is a really good drugstore foundation.

on 9/15/2017 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

UPDATE 10/: I really really like this. It is similar to UD Naked Skin (but without zany skin care ingredients). If you need something quick from the drugstore, this is a great buy! It's the price of getting a coffee...not much to complain about for that! When I first tried this it didn't impress me, and I suspected it was a shade issue. Sure enough, when I found Bronze Beige it made a complete difference. Unfortunately, on my skin this "oxidizes" the opposite way...it doesn't get darker, it gets lighter (is that oxidation?) By the end of the day I looked ridiculously pale. Part of it was that this seemed to disappear, and all that was left was my paste-like Anthelios SPF 50 primer. (A side note - if you want an SPF that stays put, Anthelios SPF 50 Primer is your dream come true.)

ORIGINAL 8/17: I like it...for a very, VERY, basic foundation. It has good coverage, and a nice finish. It reminds me of the discontinued Estee Lauder Lucidity, only it's more matte. It also reminds me of the discontinued Clinique Stay True, only it's less matte. It's also very similar to a foundation made by Arbonne, and Maybelline Fit Me foundation...and many BB creams. To me it smells like a "vintage" formula...or something like that...because the smell of it transports me somewhere in time. I guess, for me, there are so many foundations these days that have additional advantages, like "blurring", skin care ingredients, pore-minimizing, etc., this doesn't seem outstanding to me, although it sure is cheap. I think it looks like makeup, but I think that's not something anyone cares about anymore. Trying to remember what it is this smells like is going to drive me nuts. It smells SO familiar...it kind of smells like oil paints...If this came a pump it would be much easier to use.