wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

Filtered by skin type : Oily
wet n wild Photo Focus Foundation

3.5

Hair: Red, Kinky, Fine

I tried this foundation out for a first impression on my youtube channel (chloeluckin), and wasn't expecting much at all. For a foundation which doesn't have any claims about coverage, lasting ability or which skin type it's more suitable for, I just expected it to give a light coverage and to slide off ofmy face after a couple of hours.

I was amazed at how flawless my skin looked when I used it! This is my new obsession, and I've worn it several times since testing it out! The shade I tested was Buff Bisque, which is light-medium neutral. I would have purchased the warm shade, however, they had a very limited selection in Walmart when I went to America for my holiday, as they had all basically SOLD OUT! For a colour reference, I'm always between (or one of these) the Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation in 1W2 Sand and 2W1 Dawn. The colour match was very good, however the undertone was a little too pink.

I feel like this foundation is a dupe for the Estee Lauder Double wear. It has the same constancy, feels and looks the same on the skin. A little less coverage, as you need more to build up to the same as the Double Wear. Doesn't last as long, but lasted amazingly for 9 hours.

My Skin Type:
Oily-Combination Skin, very oily t-zone with redness and blemishes, acne prone.

PROS:
Very affordable - retails for $5-$6.
Long lasting - still looked flawless after 9 hours of wear.
Great for oily skin.
Didn't break me out.
Didn't irritate my sensitive skin.
Looks HD, and evens out skin texture and pores.
Amazing selection of colour - Fair-Deep Dark colours in Cool, Neutral and Warm undertones.
Easily build able.
Great coverage - medium and can be built up to almost full.
No flashback or white cast in photos.
No strong scent.
Spatula Applicator.
Packaging is glass, and feels very luxurious.

CONS
Very hard to find if you don't live in the US or Canada - Wet n Wild doesn't ship internationally.
Sells out very quickly, so very hard to find your shade in stock.
Sinks into pores after 6 hors if not used with a pore-filling primer.

For more reviews, check our my youtube channel: Chloeluckin

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

(FOR REFERENCE I HAVE COMBINATION/OILY SKIN)
With this product all I can say is: Less is definitely more.
Following what I read here, I dabbed teeny tiny amounts of this with the spatula all over my face and proceeded to blend with a damp sponge in a downward motion. The coverage was pretty impressive and natural looking in my opinion. I even applied this underneath my eyes as a concealer, and didn't set it with a powder. Even though it had a tacky feeling I trusted the foundation and it did not budge throughout the day (I even went to the beach wearing this and it stayed put).
I feel like if you apply more than one layer of this, it will look very cakey and weird. The consistency is light and watery but it sets down to a powder satin finish.
Now for the many cons: The smell is just like house paint, no exaggeration and no joke.
Even though I have pale skin with strong yellow undertones, it was a hassle for me to find a matching shade. The color selection is either too pale and pink or too orange and tan (my closest match was bronze beige). If you don't blend and fade this out on the perimeters of your face it will set weird like a mask so you need to blend and work this a lot before it dries.
If you have dry skin or dry patches DO NOT BUY THIS FOUNDATION.
I will edit this review in case more thoughts about this product come to mind during the week.

on 3/3/2017 12:05:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

My new favorite foundation! It's a good price and has a great color selection. The finish says it's supposed to be matte but I disagree on my skin it look very natural and a skin like finish with I would say build-able coverage

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

After test-running this on myself for a while, I ended up adding it to my pro-kit because it really does photograph GORGEOUSLY and the price can't be beat. The main drawbacks are thus: it smells like paint...literally Home Depot interior latex house paint; It is not specifically a long-wear formula. I have worked around this for a recent bridal party job by using Wayne Goss' technique of combining and layering with setting spray and it really did the trick! My bride was asked about 8 hours after her makeup was done if it had just been done an hour or 2 before. The color range on this is decent for a drugstore and some websites like Ulta offer an extended range. Coverage is medium and fairly buildable. Texture blends out nicely and can be sheered. Shades may set darker than they appear in bottle, but oddly the color range skews toward paler than you would expect from the description. (I'm usually around NC20 and wear mostly "fair-light" range products and I was in the "light-medium" category with this product. ") This may not be a luxury foundation, but it works and it does the job very, very well. For someone like me who needs to keep multiple shades on hand and can't shell-out for $45 a bottle, it's fantastic!

on 3/18/2017 10:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Skin Type: This is the foundation for combo/oily skin! If you have dry skin and dry patches, be sure to put a hydrating primer before application.
Coverage: Medium. I don't recommend layering this foundation. it would look cakey.
Finish: satin-matte. It also blurs my pores.
Fragrance: it smells like paint but doesn't linger.
Staying Power: 8-10 hrs. For my oily skin, I need to blot after 6 hrs, but the foundation stays on pretty well. It doesn't become blotchy. Still beautiful.

This foundation is a little tricky to use. I don't why that it accentuates my dry patches whenever i use my Laura Mercier setting powder. It works well with some primers but not for all. I haven't found a perfect foundation routine to use it. If i know which primer and powder work for it, i would update.
Overall, this is a decent foundation. I like the finish and staying power for my oily skin.

on 2/4/2017 7:34:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This foundation is amazing and for the price you can't beat it. This is one of my favorite foundations, it's not heavy on the skin and just looks flawless.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I had high hopes for this foundation since Wet n Wild puts out some outstanding products at an affordable price point.

This foundation offers very light coverage. I would say give it a go if you don't have anything major to cover. I have some rosacea redness and I had to use a lot of this foundation and a lot of concealer to get any coverage. This stuff also looked cakey on me. This is also a no-go if you are oily. I looked greasy and patchy within a couple of. I'm not sure about the photo friendliness since I didn't take any photo's with it.

The packaging sux with the weird spatula. Wet n Wild probably could have put a pump here for the same cost as this dumb spatula.

If you are oily and need to cover redness I highly recommend ELF acne foundation. I have to order it online since I have never seen it in a store. It offers excellent coverage, long wear, no mask like appearance and it's six bucks!

on 9/15/2017 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

UPDATE 10/: I really really like this. It is similar to UD Naked Skin (but without zany skin care ingredients). If you need something quick from the drugstore, this is a great buy! It's the price of getting a coffee...not much to complain about for that! When I first tried this it didn't impress me, and I suspected it was a shade issue. Sure enough, when I found Bronze Beige it made a complete difference. Unfortunately, on my skin this "oxidizes" the opposite way...it doesn't get darker, it gets lighter (is that oxidation?) By the end of the day I looked ridiculously pale. Part of it was that this seemed to disappear, and all that was left was my paste-like Anthelios SPF 50 primer. (A side note - if you want an SPF that stays put, Anthelios SPF 50 Primer is your dream come true.)

ORIGINAL 8/17: I like it...for a very, VERY, basic foundation. It has good coverage, and a nice finish. It reminds me of the discontinued Estee Lauder Lucidity, only it's more matte. It also reminds me of the discontinued Clinique Stay True, only it's less matte. It's also very similar to a foundation made by Arbonne, and Maybelline Fit Me foundation...and many BB creams. To me it smells like a "vintage" formula...or something like that...because the smell of it transports me somewhere in time. I guess, for me, there are so many foundations these days that have additional advantages, like "blurring", skin care ingredients, pore-minimizing, etc., this doesn't seem outstanding to me, although it sure is cheap. I think it looks like makeup, but I think that's not something anyone cares about anymore. Trying to remember what it is this smells like is going to drive me nuts. It smells SO familiar...it kind of smells like oil paints...If this came a pump it would be much easier to use.

on 7/14/2017 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This is my usual go to foundation for every day. The main issue I had with this in the beginning was that it has a smell similar to nail polish, but after using it a few times I don't mind it. The texture is not my favorite but you get what you pay for ($5.99). I use it every day because it is cheap and replaceable, unlike my Lancome foundation. The coverage is light to medium, I feel if you work with it a bit and use powder it has the potential to be full coverage. I have oily skin and this does not cover that up at all even though it doesn't claim to. Since I am oily it can rub off on my shirt or on my hand if I rub on my face, but I am fairly good at not touching it. I have broken out slightly after using this regularly so if you have super sensitive skin I wouldn't recommend this. Definitely not long lasting.
However, this is not the perfect foundation and not ideal, this is perfect if you are in a pinch and can't afford to replace your more high-end product right away. I used this during my first year of college when I couldn't afford to use up my pricey items. Since I am not big on instagram or anything, I cannot confirm or deny that the claims on the bottle are true (perfect in any lighting on camera).

on 4/27/2017 7:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Great foundation - made my sensitive skin freak out!

This foundation has a fabulous price point and blends beautifully on the skin. With a setting powder, it stays fresh-looking for the majority of the day. Unfortunately for me and my very sensitive, allergy-prone skin, it was just too harsh. It definitely smells a little chemically, and my cheeks (which have a little eczema) flared up immediately and felt rough in texture after wearing this 1x. I also noticed that I would experience a lot more breakouts and irritation on my skin after wearing.

Overall:
PROS
-blends well on skin
-stays in place, lasts a long time
-amazing price point
-cruelty-free

CONS
-smell
-too harsh for sensitive skin
-broke me out