Wet 'n' Wild Photo Focus Foundation

Wet 'n' Wild Photo Focus Foundation
Photo Focus FoundationPhoto Focus FoundationPhoto Focus FoundationPhoto Focus Foundation

3.2

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is a decent drugstore foundation in my own opinion. I have been searching for this foundation for months and alas it finally arrived in Canada and Walmart has fully restocked their shelves with this foundation.

I got mine in two shades Buff Bisque (Light/Medium Neutral) and Soft Beige (Light/Medium Warm). I am MAC NC 20 - 25 and I find that these two shades work pretty well for me. However, I am loving how the Buff Bisque matches me quite better.

I have a dry combination skin that gets worse during the winter months. If you are a dry skin gal, please prep your skin pretty well with this foundation. It is very POWDERY!

I knew from the get go that this will be drying and I made sure that I used a beauty oil and a moisturizing sun block with my skin care routine. I also used FIX+ before and after makeup application.

The coverage is light - medium buildable but has the tendency to get cakey if you don't layer carefully.

Overall, it is a great foundation for combo and not too oily skin gals once your oils mixes with the foundation.
I got this for $ 7.49 CAD at Walmart - not too bad

I hope this review helps.

P.S. Anyone complaining about the Spatula applicator, please bear in mind ladies. You don't pour out your concealer in a dish. You're actually dipping back your doe foot applicator in and out of the concealer tube all the time and you are still alive, just saying.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Man, I'm bummed. I really thought I'd love this foundation, seeing as I have hero worship for their Coverall Creme. I bought Coverall as soon as it came out and haven't so much as glanced at another foundation in 4 years. But then Wet 'n' Wild releases a new one. So, logically, if Coverall is my $4 love, then Photo Focus will probably walk on water or cure cancer, right? I digress, but I had high hopes for this.

To be clear, I think this foundation can work for specific people. But-but... Coverall just works for almost every skin type, issue, and need under the sun. Oh well. It's not a bad foundation, it's just not my favorite.

The coverage itself is pretty negligible. If you have off skin like I do (acne, pitting, scarring and the like) you will need a heavy duty concealer (I'd rec Hard Candy Glamoflague for this). But the finish itself is pretty impressive. It's a very natural looking foundation. It dried to a matte finish, and only upon close examination is it obvious that I'm wearing product.

Despite the matte finish, I'm an oily-skinned gal, so I'm pretty cautious. When testing this foundation, I always set it with powder. Same results. After about 6-8 hours, there's consistent fading around my nose and chin. I've tried different powders, primers, methods of application... it still fades.

On the plus side, it didn't appear to irritate my stupid sensitive skin, which is an accomplishment in and of itself. I'm starting to think if I stare too hard at my face, I'll breakout.

And it does look beautiful in photography. Nary a flashback in sight. This was also pretty impressive too. I'm super pale, my natural skintone alone probably looks like flashback. But whatever, I looked nice in photos. Can't complain.

Overall, I wouldn't buy unless you're normal to dry skinned with relatively few flaws. But if you wanna give it a go, it's only $5. I love Wet 'n' Wild for that, the day they raise their prices is probably the day I'll pass Calculus. So... never.

I think I'll keep it around for special events where I know pictures will be taken. Or a hot revenge selfie sent to my ex. Take your pick, it'll work for both.

on 6/26/2017 11:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

This foundation is NOT for textured skin, if you have flaws, acne scars, discoloration, dry patches. Just skip this one. Granted, this foundations DOES look amazing in photos, it looks cakey in real life. The formula is sheer and can be built to medium coverage with lots of coats and it dries down with a heavy feel to it. *Scent!! It literally smells like a bucket of Sherwin Williams house paint! Not kidding. I applied 3 coats on my cheeks since I have acne scars on that area and when I was in the sunlight I realized this foundation enhanced every one of my pores and made my skin look "rough" like when you haven't exfoliated for a while. And the pores on my nose where gigantic craters, not cute!

I would recommend as an alternative for photography makeup but in real life this foundation does not provide much coverage and ends up feeling and looking cakey. Hard pass for me and my acne scars.

on 3/5/2017 10:37:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Now, I am most definitely not a fussy person. Only one word can is needed to begin this review, and I'm positive you know what it's going to be.

PAINT.

Ok. Maybe I'm just having a hard last couple of weeks because I am not usually bothered by smells, the only thing that really turns my stomach is the smell of death. If you're lucky enough to not have smelled it before, death is the smell of a (insert unlucky creature's species name HERE) carcass that's been baking all day on the hot asphalt of an old country road, under the searing rays of the mid-August sun somewhere in Alabame. Down south, the heat and obnoxious humidity will only cause this poor critter to decompose at an extraordinary rate. Decomposing critters combined with the thickness and stale air experienced during those long summer days means that you better roll them windows up or you'll learn about the stench of death quick, fast and in a hurry! So tell me why the smell of this foundation was utterly unbearable to me?!

And who else is over new gadgets and contraptions? Remember those days when all we wanted was a PUMP?! It's like we blazed past pumps, probably the most universally perfect method for dispensing almost all foundations, to droppers and now spatulas. Even if you only casually read reviews here on MUA or elsewhere on the Internet, you will quickly learn that the droppers were universally disliked by the populace. It seemed like not a single brand, whether drugstore or HE, was able to get it right. I'm always game for something new but I just can't get behind the included spatula either...This issue is similar my issue with the overwhelming (to ME) paint smell: I am NOT a germaphobe! When I first opened it, I looked at the odd little spatula and was truly at a loss for what to do next. I deduced through careful analysis (HAHAHA not really) and came to the conclusion that, unless you deposit what you'll need from the spatula onto a mixing palette, a CLEAN foundation brush or a CLEAN beauty sponge, you WILL introduce germs, bacteria and oils back into the bottle. Yuck. I honestly don't know why this is even an issue for me but it is. I don't doubt for a hot second that there's ladies out there that will sanitize that silly little spatula after every use! To that, I say, "Do you baby girl!!"

The 'Photo Focus' formula is too lacking for me to even consider that kind of effort. When I wore it last, I applied it, walked away and several minutes later, I returned to see that the foundation had at least set to a wonderful looking satin finish. Please note that the satin finish may have more to do with my own personal skincare than the foundation itself. Unfortunately, the next step in my makeup application process was its third strike against it. Using the Real Techniques, I dusted what I felt was a light amount of the powder also released as part of the collection...And I suddenly looked like a freaking corpse!! The foundation went completely stark flat and matte!! It was like the foundation had absorbed the powder and not in a way that could work in our favor. It was true a mask, clinging and suffocating to my skin.

Asta la vista baby! It's rare for me to not find something workable within a product but, man, this one was just not good for me. As we all know, YMMV. I did what felt right to me and promptly exchanged it for 'Wet N Wilds' resurrected and insanely hyped 'Precious Petals' highlighter at my local CVS. Winning!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Kinky, Fine

I tried this foundation out for a first impression on my youtube channel (chloeluckin), and wasn't expecting much at all. For a foundation which doesn't have any claims about coverage, lasting ability or which skin type it's more suitable for, I just expected it to give a light coverage and to slide off ofmy face after a couple of hours.

I was amazed at how flawless my skin looked when I used it! This is my new obsession, and I've worn it several times since testing it out! The shade I tested was Buff Bisque, which is light-medium neutral. I would have purchased the warm shade, however, they had a very limited selection in Walmart when I went to America for my holiday, as they had all basically SOLD OUT! For a colour reference, I'm always between (or one of these) the Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation in 1W2 Sand and 2W1 Dawn. The colour match was very good, however the undertone was a little too pink.

I feel like this foundation is a dupe for the Estee Lauder Double wear. It has the same constancy, feels and looks the same on the skin. A little less coverage, as you need more to build up to the same as the Double Wear. Doesn't last as long, but lasted amazingly for 9 hours.

My Skin Type:
Oily-Combination Skin, very oily t-zone with redness and blemishes, acne prone.

PROS:
Very affordable - retails for $5-$6.
Long lasting - still looked flawless after 9 hours of wear.
Great for oily skin.
Didn't break me out.
Didn't irritate my sensitive skin.
Looks HD, and evens out skin texture and pores.
Amazing selection of colour - Fair-Deep Dark colours in Cool, Neutral and Warm undertones.
Easily build able.
Great coverage - medium and can be built up to almost full.
No flashback or white cast in photos.
No strong scent.
Spatula Applicator.
Packaging is glass, and feels very luxurious.

CONS
Very hard to find if you don't live in the US or Canada - Wet n Wild doesn't ship internationally.
Sells out very quickly, so very hard to find your shade in stock.
Sinks into pores after 6 hors if not used with a pore-filling primer.

For more reviews, check our my youtube channel: Chloeluckin

on 2/14/2017 6:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I think I've finally my holy grail foundation. My skin is normal/combo mostly, prone to dry areas on the cheeks and oilier around the sides of the nose and t zone. I have big pores and dark spots/scarring in spots. Nothing severe.
The color match is good, the coverage is good, I've applied with both damp sponge & brush and coverage is good both ways. Its not streaky, cake like and looks surprisingly natural. It doesn't settle into my pores or emphasize them. It doesn't settle into my fine lines either.
It does smell like paint tho. And its very liquidy. I actually like the spatula that comes with it. The finish is matte so if you're dry skinned this might not be for you.

UPDATE 4/17/17
I have to lower my review, unfortunately. It's now starting to look very textured and drying on my face. And i really did want to love this but its not working well for me anymore... So I shall continue my foundation hunt.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I first bought this foundation from my local Ealgreens, just as soon as I saw it on display. Even though they offer 20 colors of foundation in the line only about 4-5 were on display, so I picked up 2 foundations in Peach Natural, 2 in Golden Beige, and 2 pressed powders in Neutral Beige. Peach Natural is slightly more lighter than my natural skintone, but I am able to work with it, so that's all good. Golden Beige is the most closest match to my skintone, and is probably going to be the most wearable shade for most people who have medium skintones, which is why, if you do not have a very tan medium complexion, then I would certainly start out with Golden Beige.

The Neutral Beige pressed powder has a consistency that is very soft and silky and reminds ne a lot of MAC's Mineralize Skin Finish, in the way that it is shaped, and how much of a super natural finish it gives to the face. my skin is very dry at this time, however, even though the foundation dries matte, it does not make my face look like a dry overly mess. It leaves a natural matte look to my face, and I just lightly dust the Neutral a Beige pressed powder over it, and my face stays set. For individuals with oily to possibly very oily skin, they may need to use a mattifying setting powder over it instead of the Photofocus pressed powder instead.

With the foundation, I do not use a moisturizer or primer underneath. As, I applly the foundation straight to my face with the spatula applicator it cones with. Some individuals have complained that this foundation smells like paint. To be honest, this foundation has a slight chemical smell, very similar to Estee Lauder's Double Wear Stay In Place Makeup. The snell of the PhotoFocus Foundation is not overwhelming, and after you have the foundation on after a short period or do, the slight smell ends up fading away anyways. As, thus foundation is fragrance free, so whst you smell coming from it is its raw ingredients only ( which are totally bearable).

I actually just placed an order on Wet in Wild's website, for 3 foundation in the shade Golden Beige, and another pressed powder in the shade Neutral Beige too. As, I can honestly say there is no really huge cons with either the new Wet n Wild PhotoFocus Foundation of PhotoFocus pressed powder that I can honestly speak of. Which is why, I highly recommend giving them a try!

I really like this foundation! Close to an HG drugstore foundation in my opinion. I'm a BB cream woman on a daily basis because any foundation that has oil, oxidizes and turns orange or darker on me. But when photos need to be taken, I tend to op for foundations to avoid camera flashbacks. This foundation gives medium to full semi matte finish depending on how much you apply. I wear this foundation with a primer and a setting spray and it makes skin looks flawless on camera. This foundation do however oxides a little but does not turn orange. I wear shade Soft Beige which is a light warm shade(yellow undertone). I will say this, the only con about this foundation is that it does not last all day. It starts to wear off and makes my skin somewhat oily and only lasts 4hrs at the most for me even with setting spray. So I'm not quite sure if this would work with oily skin. And with regards to the smell, it smells like any other drugstore foundation but it does not linger. So if you're looking for something drugstore, inexpensive, looks good on photos and don't care so much about lasting power, give this foundation a try!

More about my Skin Type and Other Concerns: Light-Medium, Neutral-Warm (yellow) undertone, tans easily (hardly burns), easily irritated, clear/no breakouts(only during menstrual cycle), dry-combination and very little to no wrinkles.

Other foundations tried or did not like either because it oxidized(orange), made my skin oily, or has a pink undertone regardless of how warm and yellow it claims to be: Urban Decay(worst highend), Nars Sheer Matte, Kat Von D Lock It, Cover Girl, Revlon, Almay, Laura Mercier, L'Oreal, Prescriptives, Bourjois, Maybelline(Worst drugstore found), MAC, Chanel, Christian Dior, Cargo, Shiseido, IMAN, Make Up For Ever

MY Shades in other foundations:
Estee Lauder: Double Wear Rattan 2W2
Kat Von D: Medium 52
MAC: NC-30/35
Christian Dior: Linen 021
Urban Decay: 2
Laura Mercier: 3(Powder Foundation), Sunny Beige(Liquid), Ochre Tinted Moisturizer
Nars: Ceylan
Chanel: 40 or 50
Shiseido: O20 or O40 (Ochre)
L'Oreal: Nude Beige
Bourjois: 52 Vanille
Revlon: Buff Beige
IMAN: Sand 3
Covergirl: Nude Beige 832
Cargo: F-50 (tanned summer shade)
Make Up For Ever: HD Invisible (120), Mat Velvet (No.40), Face&Body (Alabaster Beige 32)

on 4/19/2017 7:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Like most of the reviews, YouTube made me buy this. It goes on nice with a brush or beauty blender. Looks great for about 30 minutes then just goes down hill from there. I want to wash my face within a few hours of wearing this. My skin feels and looks terrible. It accentuates my pores, wrinkles and rubs off with the slightest touch. Not to mention it oxidizes terribly. I even tried mixing it with my sunscreen that usually dries me out. Nope. Also mixed it with my trusty Revlon colorstay..nope. Tried no setting powder, with setting powder..nope. Blotting didn't even take away the sticky/oily/tacky weirdness. I literally had to peel the tissue away from my skin while blotting. So bizarre.

on 4/7/2017 11:40:00 AM

To be honest, this is the closest thing I've found to "holy grail" status. This foundation has its issues, but it also has some great points.

I have the world's dryest (sp?) skin, rosacea, sensitive skin, and areas of huge pores, as well as aging skin and a couple of areas that look like little pinholes in the skin. I'm sensitive to dimethicone, and I'm freakishly sensitive to aloe of all things. I used to have beautiful skin, and suddenly it just went downhill fast. It's been a struggle to find things that work for me now, and even more of a struggle to get a good color match and finish.

I'm a fan of Wet N Wild, so I picked this up without having read reviews or checking ingredients. I know, sounds like a recipe for disaster, right? I immediately put it on and could not BELIEVE how nice it was. The websit says matte finish, but I'd call it more of a demi matte or satin finish. I was not like POWDERY matte, but Not shiny or dewy either. The weight and initial feel was very Luminous Silk from Armani, which concerned me because LS sinks into my pores and slides around my face like an oil slick (weird for dry skin), and then I'm somehow DRYER when I take it off. However, the WnW stayed put without setting powder or primer, it didn't itch or feel heavy, didn't oxidize, didn't sink into pores and lines, and didn't budge for hours except at the very tip of my nose. Awesome, right?

I tried a second layer for a bit more coverage, and I did notice a little accentuation of pores and lines at that point, but it still didn't settle in like everything else I tried in the past.

So what's wrong with it? Well, sadly, there a few things. The first issue is the consistency from one day to the next. Some days it looks really perfect and flawless and a perfect color match, and other days it oxidizes (though less than some brands), settles more into nooks and crannies, and doesn't play well with others products. It also breaks down quicker on those days. I just want a product that is easy to use, makes me still look like me but better, and that will always give the same result.

So can I recommend this? For six bucks, absolutely. Will I keep looking for better? Yeah.