Wet 'n' Wild Photo Focus Foundation

Filtered by age: 30-35
Wet 'n' Wild Photo Focus Foundation
Photo Focus FoundationPhoto Focus FoundationPhoto Focus FoundationPhoto Focus Foundation

3.3

This is one of my favourite inexpensive foundations. I was able to find a colour with a slightly pink base which matches my skin tone. It covers well without settling into my lines too deeply. About halfway through the day, my nose needs a touch up, but I've not yet found a foundation that doesn't need a touch up on my nose.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I like this foundation. I do not love it, but I would probably repurchase it. It smells like latex wall paint, but I have gotten used to that. The coverage is nice, and the shade selection is amazing for drug store--and it does not oxidize on me at all, which is rare in less expensive foundations. I like applying this with a buffing brush and setting with powder. As the day wears on it goes from matte to satin-y, which I am fine with, but if you have oily skin you'd probably want to use a mattifying primer with this. The glass bottle the product comes in is nice and heavy, and it looks pretty fancy for such an inexpensive product, but I think Wet n Wild really messed up by not putting this in a pump bottle. The product is too runny for the little spatula thingie to be very effective and a pump would've been so much more sanitary and thoughtful.

on 9/21/2017 11:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

So I have been looking for a new HG foundation for awhile now. I decided to give this ago after seeing Casey Holmes YT video. I initially bought soft beige. I really like the coverage it is versatile coverage from light to full coverage. It does not look cakey, shade ranges. I did find soft beige to oxidize a lot on me and was too dark of a shade to begin with. So I bought soft ivory which seems to be my correct shade and does not oxidize. I really like this foundation, I would prefer a pump to a spatula, but for the price I can't complain. This foundation looks good, last a good 8 hours. I would recommend to use a primer for longevity. This is a foundation that I will continue to use and will repurchase. This is a really good drugstore foundation.

on 9/20/2017 11:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I deleted my first review of this foundation which was Jan 2017 - when it was brand new. There were only about three shades available to choose from in-store, and the one I picked was ghastly too light and I hated it. It was super dry, emphasized all my dry skin - even though I'm highly combo (so both oily and dry). Now that it's been out for almost a year - I decided to try this foundation again, since I found a shade that is almost identical to my skin tone (Soft Beige). I am mostly looking for a foundation that is light/medium, doesn't feel heavy on the skin. I have tried Revlon Colorstay (too heavy for my needs), Covergirl Outlast (same thing, too heavy), Physicians Formula, Burts Bees BB (too moisturizing), Tarte, Rimmel foundations (good, but still a bit too heavy but would still use over others), and then my HG NYX Total Control (the best foundation for my skin, I've used a full bottle).

I give this four lippies because for the cheap price ($4.98 is what I paid), the amount you get, the solid nice bottle (except wish it had pump) -- it's a really good CHEAP simple/basic foundation. Also, after side to side comparison on my face applied with a buffing brush - this foundation looks identical on my skin as my $13.99 HG NYX Total Control foundation. So identical that I couldn't tell the difference between the two on my face. My NYX shade is "Natural" and is a little more yellow than WnW's "Soft Beige" which pulls yellow but a little more pink (so neutral), but once applied to my face, you can't tell at all. It must just neutralize out. But the finish on my skin is EXACT (with moisturizer). I was blown away. That's a $9 price difference for me-- and WnW is a full ounce, NYX is barely .5 an ounce for $9 more.

If I prep my skin with my daily moisturizer well before I apply this (which I do anyways) it works very well for me with combo skin. I start out dry and turn oily by 4 hours. With moisturizing properly (which takes me seconds) - this stuff can look just a little powdery on my forehead (notorious spot for me) but I spray with a matte setting spray - and after an hour or two it settles into my skin and looks very natural. I highly recommend giving this a try if you've haven't tried it, or are looking for a cheap, basic foundation to cover discoloration/melasma, light scarring - I think it's great. It also is talc free, just like NYX. I think the NYX and this foundation are pretty identical in ingredients, but the NYX is obviously much runnier in consistency but this one blended out easily. I don't wear heavy foundation, and only dot it on a few places on my face and then blend out with a RT buffing brush for light coverage - so if you are looking for that - try this out. I had no issues with oxidization, "Soft Beige" was a perfect match for me with a lighter powder on top to set. I am also very sensitive to smells, but the smell of this didn't bother me since it goes away immediately - and I'm not sensitive to paint/medicinal smells, but fragrance and this isn't heavily fragranced/floral. So the smell for me was not a problem. This also washes off very easily - I wash with a light cleanser but always use a Simple makeup wipe to help remove most of my foundation. This came off easily like NYX.

I'm really glad I decided to give this a try again 9 months later - and if I have any issues, I'll for sure update my review. This $5 foundation is a go-to for me and is replacing my empty HG $14 NYX Total Control.

on 9/19/2017 12:32:00 AM

This is my favorite cheap foundation. Covers well. Only bad thing is that I tend to look oily mid day even I use this, I must powder my nose! I'm also not a darn of the smell. I find the product hard to remove when the product is about 3/4 gone.

I do use this on days I don't want to use my good makeup though! Definitely covers well.

on 9/12/2017 9:52:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

This foundation is so amazing, I cannot believe it was $6. I am oily skinned. Bought this in Espresso and I apply with a damp beauty blender. I wear a lot of foundation. Base makeup is my favorite because I love a flawless base every time I do my makeup. This is medium coverage so I use more of it than I would loreal infallible pro matte for instance. I like the way it smells and I lasts decently when set with a powder. I use the spatchula to place the fiubdation on my skin then blen with the beauty blender. I love the packaging. Wet n wild has certainly outdone themselves with this one. I will be repurchased hen I run out.

on 9/12/2017 8:22:00 PM

I was surprised by how much i liked this foundation. It has such a natural looking finish and is easily build-able. Not cakey at all and blends beautifully. My only complaint is it does smell a bit paste-ey but it doesn't linger too long.

on 7/25/2017 11:35:00 PM

First I'll tell you about the pros: price is amazing, I like the spatula applicator, easy to blend, I love that the colours and shade are written on the bottle. It makes it very easy to find your colour. I use a brush with this foundation which applies nicely. I don't find it blends well with a sponge. It's a sticky formula which in turns makes the sponge very sticky. The cons for this product are the smell (it smells like paint,) it clings to dry patches and it doesn't last long. It also makes me look a little oily yet still clinging to dry patches if that makes any sense. All together I don't think I'd buy again. I would recommend for you to try as everyone's skin reacts differently. For the price it's worth buying

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

For reference; my favourite foundation is Tarte Rainforest Of The Sea, for which I wear Fair Neutral. I went for Porcelain in Photo Focus - a teensy bit too yellow toned, but it blends easily to a great match.

Photo Focus is wonderful for this time of year; My skin is dry and sensitive and the weather makes it worse, so I need something that won't feel heavy, or show up the dry patches and make my skin flake. This feels so light and silky on my skin and blending is easy (a damp beauty sponge is my preferred application method). Once blended, the results are a smooth satin finish, with build-able sheer to medium coverage. The feel and finished look of Photo Focus reminds me of my old favourite foundation; the discontinued Max Factor Xperience Weightless foundation.

I've found Photo Focus to be transfer resistant and I've worn with a primer, without one, with powder and alone; It is long lasting and gives a natural, un-cakey look any way I wear it, but I do recommend using the Wet n Wild Photo Focus setting spray for a really long wear time, as I prefer the natural look that combo gives the most. I'm really liking this and can't find any real negative points with it; the smell is a small niggle, but it fades before I can pinpoint it, so it's nowhere near as strong as reviewers & vloggers lead me to believe it would be.

Photo Focus is not my favourite foundation, but it's very close - Rainforest Of The Sea just feels more moisturizing and refreshing as it's water based. However when I'm cracking down on how much I spend and can't justify the expense of Rainforest Of The Sea [or when QVC UK runs out of my shade & take forever to restock], I'll very happily buy this again.

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I honestly can't remember the last time I tried a Wet N Wild foundation. It must have been the Cover All that came out a few years ago which is now discontinued I believe. Anyway, I heard so many good things about this foundation and because of its price point I decided it couldn't hurt to test it out and see what the hype was all about.
First off, the shade selection is quite extensive although confusing. Shades labeled warm looked cooler and shades labeled neutral looked warmer. I tend to lean toward neutral or cool undertones because warm (i.e. Pink) just typically makes me look orange. So, I did the best I could and chose Soft Ivory even though it's categorized as warm because the shade up looked a touch too pink even though it was supposed to be neutral. Okay Wet n Wild, whatever you say.
Unlike some I like the spatula situation, granted it's not a pump so it's not perfect but spatulas are not something you see in drugstore makeup regularly. I find it a bit easier to get product with a spatula and obviously it's a personal preference so if the spatula is not your thing, it's totally fine. Just be aware that this is what Wet N Wild has given us with this foundation.
The smell does have quite a strong paint like aroma, however it's not nearly as bad imo as say the Maybelline Matte and Poreless (which I detest btw).
This foundation is rather thin and has almost an oily viscosity. Swatched on my hand it looked and felt gorgeous but my face was another story altogether.
This foundation felt difficult to blend out because it dries so quickly and the coverage is minimal whether using a beauty blender or a brush. It didn't cover any of the redness around my nostrils and it didn't do a thing for my under eye situation which is not heavily discolored mind you. I found myself having to use more concealer than I typically do.
The finish looked powdery and I spent what seemed like an eternity continuously trying to buff it into my skin to minimize this.
I did the best I could but I finally decided it wasn't going to get much better and surrendered. I set my undereyes and T Zone with setting powder, baked it for a few minutes and carried on.
About 30 mins after my entire makeup application I went outside to take a look. It was not good, not by a long shot.
This foundation accentuates and clings to eveeeeeerything. I'm a masking fiend and I use a sheet mask every night, so, my skin is hydrated and exfoliated to the max. Let me tell you, this foundation made my skin look like I've never used an exfoliator or a moisturizer in my life.
I will say that 7 hours into wearing I'm not oily and there's no pooling into my pores, but I also use the YSL blur primer (the one with the gold sparkles) and set it with Laura Mercier translucent setting powder so I don't know how much can be attributed to these products and how much is the foundation.
All in all, this may be decent for evening out skin tone for those with already great skin with no redness or discoloration, but it's definitely not as fantastic as the hype suggests. It's does look great in selfies, but irl not so much.
For its price point it's okay, I will say that. It's just not a foundation I'll likely use on any kind of consistent basis and zip definitely will not repurchase.