Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Oil

No Image

2.8

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 11/11/2017 12:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I have this in the crimson color. The color itself is very nice on me. BUT

It lasts less than 20 minutes. It isn't very moisturizing despite being an oil. Seriously, the moisture is GONE in minutes after applying.

Reapplication is tedious due to the brush and click system here. This is totally OTT for what is basically, gloss.

TBH, I have only used it a few times and I may just toss it.

on 3/19/2017 10:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

i wear crimson breeze over a lipstain and it works wonderfully. lasts about as long as gloss but its not gluey, sticky or tacky and deepens the color of my stain. feels wonderful going on so i dont mind reapplying.

on 1/21/2017 7:03:00 PM

This is moisturizing for about ten minutes. The color is soft and pretty. Doesn't last any longer than the moisture. The brush applicator is hard and uncomfortable, and does not spread the product very well. It has a very artificial chemical smell, but is fruity once on the lips. It cost about 9 dollars, which is about 5 too many, imo. It was my first and only foray into the arena of lip oils, and will likely be my last, although I understand the YSL lip oil is nice. I just don't want to pay that much for what is more or less a gloss.

on 1/5/2017 5:38:00 PM

I'm a bit torn on this product. I love Burt's Bees products, and really love nearly all their lipsticks and balms. This, though, I'm not sure about.

It's a tinted lip oil, and has a lot of good ingredients (glycerin, meadowfoam oil, coconut oil, sunflower seed oil, etc.).

I picked up the shade Rustling Rose. It's kind of a neutral mauve color. It's not very pigmented, however. When you twist the clicker pen so the oil comes out of the brush tip (it takes a lot of clicks, too, which seems to be the norm for any product with this type of applicator), it's a pretty rosy-mauve pink that comes out, but it's quite sheer. That also makes it easy to wear, without worrying about messing up application or it being too pigmented for young wearers, but it's a touch disappointing that it doesn't have more color. It looks pretty, lending lips a nice sheen. It's not super long lasting or anything, because it's mostly oils, and it feels comfortable while it lasts. It's not sticky or tacky, either, which is nice. (Sip some tea or coffee or have a bite to eat and it's gone, but if you, say have this on one morning with no drinking or eating, you'll get two or more hours of wear.) There is no strong scent or flavor. It's kind of comparable to the Burt's Bees tinted lip balms. (The level of pigmentation is comparable, too.)

My one gripe is the price. It's about $9, though I scored $1 off with a coupon by a drugstore display. There is 0.04 fl oz./1.18 mL product in the tube, and it consistently takes a lot of twists of the base to squeeze more product out at the tip. I'm not sure if I got a tube that maybe didn't have a full amount in it, or if it's just a stingy delivery system. (For comparison, the Burt's Bees lipsticks have 0.12 oz product for the same price.)

In terms of the actual product itself, for the pretty (albeit extremely) sheer color and the feel of it, I'd give it five lippies. For the packaging it's one lippie, and that's for the stinginess of the delivery system and for the packaging, which isn't terribly substantial. The cap, I should add, sort of indicates the color of the contents inside. In this case the cap reflects a more pigmented version of the contents.

As it stands I don't see myself buying another one of these, unless I come across them on sale or something. I'd rather put the same amount of money toward the lipsticks and get more color and more staying power.

Video Reviews & Tutorials