Kat Von D Alchemist Holographic Palette

Kat Von D Alchemist Holographic Palette
Alchemist Holographic PaletteAlchemist Holographic PaletteKVD Alchemy Alchemist Holographic PaletteAlchemist Holographic Palette

4.5

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

This is such a pretty little palette. The cardboard packaging is surprisingly sturdy and the magnetic closure is very nice. It's more compact then I thought it would be so it's easy to store. The 4 shades duochrome shades are very versatile. I do wish there was a peachy one and/or an orangey one but it covers a lot of area color wise. The shadows are pigmented and firmly pressed but not too firm. Used dry they have an almost glittery effect on the eye (but there is no glitter or fall out). Used wet, they are very bright and full on. I get so many compliments when I wear these shadows especially wet. I like them as highlighters as well, but I like them best as eyeshadows. I would definitely repurchase this if I ever ran out. I hope they make it permanent. This clearly meant as an accent palette and it's very lovely used that way.
I debated on this or the Anastasia Moon Child palette. Swatching them both, there was no comparison. The Alchemist palette is far brighter, far more sparkly, no glitter. The shades are more distinct from each other. I think the Moon Child palette could have been much better if they didn't have about 4 of the same shade in it.

on 11/4/2017 9:56:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love Kat von D products,with that being sad I love this palette.The shades are amazing,intense,they last long ,but I have a problem with it and I never heard of anyone having this problem.I use it to highlight my cheekbones,but when I use it on my eyes it stings my eyes!!! Immediately when I apply it on my eyes it stings!It goes away after a few minutes,but I don't understand why.I don't have sensitive eyes and I've never experienced anything like it before.I used a lot of things on my eyes(cheap,expensive palettes,many kinds of glitter,eyeliners etc) so I don't understand why:(.I love it but because of this I will not repurchase or ever use it on my eyes again.

on 8/18/2017 12:15:00 PM

This type of product isn't anything new, but I'm in love with the formula and the colour combination. Lately I've been using this every day on my eyes and cheeks because the glow it gives me makes my tummy warm and fuzzy.
I love love love how there is 0 white cast. When I'm feeling adventurous, ill use all 4 shades on my cheekbones for a subtle rainbow highlight. And yes, I meant subtle, in the sense that people might slightly notice it in the right light.
This is soo fun to use and my favourite one to use on the eyes is Pink Opal, with a subtle transition colour in the crease.
Get this, you want it.

I love love love this product. Im not very into darker shades so this is perfect for me. I even used the shade Opal as a highlighter and it worked great. And i also love the packaging. The KVD logo is so cute. The white packaging is so sleek and sophisticated, i love it. WILL DEFINITELY REPURCHASE.

on 6/18/2017 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

In love! It's very light feeling on the skin but extremely pigmented. As far as I can tell, none of Kat's products have ever irritated my skin, and this palette is no exception. It has incredible shine and you don't have to use alot for it to be blinding. I would absolutely buy this again. These are my favorite highlighters.

on 7/14/2017 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm super late to the game with this one!! The colors are fantastic and stay on really well. I wear the purple and pink colors for an everyday highlighter and the green and blue for more interesting days. I got compliments all day while I was working when I wore the purple highlight. I had people tell me I looked more lively and upbeat than usual which I took as a compliment and I had people asking me where I got it from. The entire day I felt like a space girl which was fantastic. I definitely recommend this to anyone to expand their collection and step out of their comfort zone. This is a great way to test the waters and see how you like the look. I really don't like standing out too much but wearing this made me want to show off and tell everyone what I was wearing. 100% go buy this right now.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm not normally into this brand but I've been on a holographic/prismatic/iridescent tear so I had to buy Alchemist. It's pretty similar to the Anastasia Beverly Hills Moonchild Glow Kit, which I also own and love. I swatched them side by side and it looks like the Emerald shade is identical to the Lucky Clover shade in the ABH Moonchild palette. Opal is nearly identical to ABH's Pink Heart; the only difference is that the latter seems to have a slightly stronger pink shift. Amethyst is also nearly identical to ABH's Purple Horseshoe except that one has ever so slight micro-glitter/tiny sparkles that don't actually show up on my face, so once applied they're the same. The only really different color in the Alchemist palette from Moonchild is Saphyre, which leans more greenish blue than purple blue like ABH's Blue Ice shade. Both palettes are comparable in terms of pigmentation - sheer but buildable so you can use them on eyes or cheeks. Overall, while the textures of the shades in the Alchemist palette are slightly smoother than Moonchild, I still prefer Moonchild. Though it doesn't have a mirror, you get more shades and also product by weight (0.90oz for $40 vs. Alchemist's 0.20oz. for $32). But if you can't use the Blue Moon and Silver Star shades in the Moonchild palette, Alchemist might be for you.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

Before I get into the review, I wanted to say that the Alchemist palette is £25 - £12 cheaper than the Shade & Light contour palette - so I was expecting something a bit smaller and have no complaints over the size myself. However I want to let people know that yes, it is a small palette [the pans are roughly the same size as 50p coins].

When I first opened the palette I was disappointed, as the four shades didn't look wildly dissimilar from one another, but then I tried them on skin as highlighters.... Love at first swipe; a little goes a long way as the powder is highly pigmented, so creamy, no chunky shimmer, and the shades come to life. When I look straight-on into a mirror I can't see anything, but when I turn my head the powders catch the light and flash green, blue, violet, or pink. A perfect highlighter - it's not just sitting there as a strip of colour on skin ala Adam Ant, instead managing to be both subtle and eyecatching at the same time.

When I apply my morning I'll usually use a setting spray [a NYX one at the minute], and I'll find that the highlighter will last until I'm ready to remove my makeup in the evening - although it does lose a bit of it's intensity after the first four/five hours.

I was already fully sold on this palette solely as a highlighter one, but I was surprised at how well it works as an eyeshadow and eyeliner 'transformer'; my favourite way to wear them is the over natural skintone-type shades over the lids for a more subtle flash of colour, on my more 'natural' makeup days. The more saturated the base shadow, the more vivid the powders appear - medium grey shadow appears to make the best base for a more 'pow' look, as the highlighters lighten the darker shadows too much to be able to tell much difference between medium and dark.

I've only played around with the powders over lipstick - the ombre lip look isn't my cup of tea. However I want to point out how even the green and blue shades are very wearable over lipsticks. Also; the powders lighten darker shades; so if you have a deeper lipstick shade that you don't feel confident in, a quick dab of one of the powders over it sorts the problem instantly.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

First off let me say I think love Kat Von D shadows, but this one does not impress me. As a layering and highlight palette it performs ok but not in any way special. These shades do not do anything that duochrome highlighters can't do and you get a lot more product for the money. Even the spring 2017 Wet n Wild highlighter that is lavender/pink gives the same effect as two of the shades in this palette. I expected these to have more intense iridescence to them. I've used them with Mehron mixing liquid as well as UD All nighter spray then applied over light and dark shadows and I'm just not wowed by the results. I suppose if someone did not have any duochrome shadows or highlighters then MAYBE it would be worth the $32 price but for those who do this palette is a bit of a letdown.

omg I am in love with the formula of these r highlighting shades. they all look light in the pan but don't let it cool you,it has a gorgeous duo chrome look when applied to the cheek and when light hits the face it is amazing. perfect for people who are Into highlighters that are not the standard gold.