Kat Von D Alchemist Palette

Kat Von D Alchemist Palette
Alchemist PaletteKVD Alchemy Alchemist PaletteAlchemist Palette

4.5

on 8/18/2017 12:15:00 PM

This type of product isn't anything new, but I'm in love with the formula and the colour combination. Lately I've been using this every day on my eyes and cheeks because the glow it gives me makes my tummy warm and fuzzy.
I love love love how there is 0 white cast. When I'm feeling adventurous, ill use all 4 shades on my cheekbones for a subtle rainbow highlight. And yes, I meant subtle, in the sense that people might slightly notice it in the right light.
This is soo fun to use and my favourite one to use on the eyes is Pink Opal, with a subtle transition colour in the crease.
Get this, you want it.

I love love love this product. Im not very into darker shades so this is perfect for me. I even used the shade Opal as a highlighter and it worked great. And i also love the packaging. The KVD logo is so cute. The white packaging is so sleek and sophisticated, i love it. WILL DEFINITELY REPURCHASE.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse

Before I get into the review, I wanted to say that the Alchemist palette is £25 - £12 cheaper than the Shade & Light contour palette - so I was expecting something a bit smaller and have no complaints over the size myself. However I want to let people know that yes, it is a small palette [the pans are roughly the same size as 50p coins].

When I first opened the palette I was disappointed, as the four shades didn't look wildly dissimilar from one another, but then I tried them on skin as highlighters.... Love at first swipe; a little goes a long way as the powder is highly pigmented, so creamy, no chunky shimmer, and the shades come to life. When I look straight-on into a mirror I can't see anything, but when I turn my head the powders catch the light and flash green, blue, violet, or pink. A perfect highlighter - it's not just sitting there as a strip of colour on skin ala Adam Ant, instead managing to be both subtle and eyecatching at the same time.

When I apply my morning I'll usually use a setting spray [a NYX one at the minute], and I'll find that the highlighter will last until I'm ready to remove my makeup in the evening - although it does lose a bit of it's intensity after the first four/five hours.

I was already fully sold on this palette solely as a highlighter one, but I was surprised at how well it works as an eyeshadow and eyeliner 'transformer'; my favourite way to wear them is the over natural skintone-type shades over the lids for a more subtle flash of colour, on my more 'natural' makeup days. The more saturated the base shadow, the more vivid the powders appear - medium grey shadow appears to make the best base for a more 'pow' look, as the highlighters lighten the darker shadows too much to be able to tell much difference between medium and dark.

I've only played around with the powders over lipstick - the ombre lip look isn't my cup of tea. However I want to point out how even the green and blue shades are very wearable over lipsticks. Also; the powders lighten darker shades; so if you have a deeper lipstick shade that you don't feel confident in, a quick dab of one of the powders over it sorts the problem instantly.

omg I am in love with the formula of these r highlighting shades. they all look light in the pan but don't let it cool you,it has a gorgeous duo chrome look when applied to the cheek and when light hits the face it is amazing. perfect for people who are Into highlighters that are not the standard gold.

on 6/18/2017 10:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

In love! It's very light feeling on the skin but extremely pigmented. As far as I can tell, none of Kat's products have ever irritated my skin, and this palette is no exception. It has incredible shine and you don't have to use alot for it to be blinding. I would absolutely buy this again. These are my favorite highlighters.

on 7/14/2017 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm super late to the game with this one!! The colors are fantastic and stay on really well. I wear the purple and pink colors for an everyday highlighter and the green and blue for more interesting days. I got compliments all day while I was working when I wore the purple highlight. I had people tell me I looked more lively and upbeat than usual which I took as a compliment and I had people asking me where I got it from. The entire day I felt like a space girl which was fantastic. I definitely recommend this to anyone to expand their collection and step out of their comfort zone. This is a great way to test the waters and see how you like the look. I really don't like standing out too much but wearing this made me want to show off and tell everyone what I was wearing. 100% go buy this right now.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I'm not normally into this brand but I've been on a holographic/prismatic/iridescent tear so I had to buy Alchemist. It's pretty similar to the Anastasia Beverly Hills Moonchild Glow Kit, which I also own and love. I swatched them side by side and it looks like the Emerald shade is identical to the Lucky Clover shade in the ABH Moonchild palette. Opal is nearly identical to ABH's Pink Heart; the only difference is that the latter seems to have a slightly stronger pink shift. Amethyst is also nearly identical to ABH's Purple Horseshoe except that one has ever so slight micro-glitter/tiny sparkles that don't actually show up on my face, so once applied they're the same. The only really different color in the Alchemist palette from Moonchild is Saphyre, which leans more greenish blue than purple blue like ABH's Blue Ice shade. Both palettes are comparable in terms of pigmentation - sheer but buildable so you can use them on eyes or cheeks. Overall, while the textures of the shades in the Alchemist palette are slightly smoother than Moonchild, I still prefer Moonchild. Though it doesn't have a mirror, you get more shades and also product by weight (0.90oz for $40 vs. Alchemist's 0.20oz. for $32). But if you can't use the Blue Moon and Silver Star shades in the Moonchild palette, Alchemist might be for you.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

First off let me say I think love Kat Von D shadows, but this one does not impress me. As a layering and highlight palette it performs ok but not in any way special. These shades do not do anything that duochrome highlighters can't do and you get a lot more product for the money. Even the spring 2017 Wet n Wild highlighter that is lavender/pink gives the same effect as two of the shades in this palette. I expected these to have more intense iridescence to them. I've used them with Mehron mixing liquid as well as UD All nighter spray then applied over light and dark shadows and I'm just not wowed by the results. I suppose if someone did not have any duochrome shadows or highlighters then MAYBE it would be worth the $32 price but for those who do this palette is a bit of a letdown.

on 3/20/2017 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Finally makeup that's actually got me excited.. hasn't happened in a while. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't like this pallet. They were probably expecting something else. I just got it yesterday and tried if for the first time today, and I'm in love. I have so many inspirational ideas to try. I purchased this for using it on my eyes mainly. I'm not into the whole metallic lip or different lip looks that's have been on trend lately, but I think the pink Opal would look amazing over a light nude pink lip. you don't need a lot at all, a little goes a very long way because if the effect that it gives off... I mean if your into that, this does build up nice. I used the violet on my lid, the green on my lower last line( I wet the brush first and it stands out that much more when used wet.) I don't recommend wetting the product, but using a slightly damp brush works great. Then I used the pink in the inner corners layered over one of my light gold mac pigments ... looked awesome, and then used the pink for highlight... I also added a little of another highlighter with it because it's my first time using a holographic highlight I wanted to ease myself onto it with a more "toned down wearable". look first. Very happy. I think the people who said it wasn't pigmened was expecting it to be a more opaque product. It's not supposed to be like a Huda beauty / Nicole Guerriero ABH highlight- see-it-from-space type of highlight. And I think for the price it's worth it. I don't think I'll ever hit pan on these, unless it's the only highlight your using and you use it everyday you might run out. These have so much more versatility then a highlight that's 50+ and only has 1 shade to work with. You can wear these alone or over so many things. Complete win in my books!! great addition to any makeup lovers/ makeup artists collection.

on 3/11/2017 7:14:00 PM

I had this delivered today from Sephora and was so excited to open this as it looks absolutely stunning on their website but I have to say I was slightly disappointed by the size of it as I was expecting it to be a little bigger for some reason, think the pics are deceiving. Anyway, on to the good bits.... I swatched all of the shades and I was literally rolling all over the floor with pure excitement lol the shades are so pigmented and beautiful that each one I tried I got even more hysterical, they seemed to get better and better. I'm not entirely sure whether this is supposed to be an eyeshadow palette or highlighting palette but I've bought it with the intention of using it as a highlighter and having the bonus of maybe using it on my eyes too. This is my second time using Kat Von D products and I have to say the first time i wasn't overly impressed by her eyeshadow quad but the Alchemist palette is none other than stunning in terms of packaging and quality. I can't wait to really get experimenting with this as I think it's going to be amazing especially with what I've seen so far.