NYX Total Control

NYX Total Control

3.9

Cyclopentasiloxane, Water / Aqua / Eau, Glycerin, Vinyl Dimethicone / Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Propylene Glycol, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Isododecane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Propylene Carbonate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 10/3/2017 11:06:00 PM

I've heard good things about this but never bought. Then my sister bought it and told me how amazing it is so of course I had to finally try it because I love a good lightweight foundation. The colour buff matches me so well, I don't think I've found a foundation colour more of a perfect match for me... the coverage doesn't get more than probably medium/full, not quite full, however I'm not a full coverage lover so the claim that it could reach full coverage wasn't a selling point for me. I thought that because it was so lightweight it would be great for my oily skin but within not even a couple hours my face gets extremely shiny and I feel like the coverage wears off :( super disappointed, had to return it.

on 9/26/2017 9:29:00 PM

Honestly, I love this! It's a little drying in my nostril area, but every foundation is. Really runs out quickly though, which is insane for a $16 CAD foundation. Would I buy it again, for sure. Would I recommend it? Yes. But it's not a drugstore price for the amount!!!!

on 9/23/2017 7:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

There were only 10 shades offered at my Ulta when I bought this, so I had no idea there are actually 24 shades to choose from. It is insanely frustrating that the places that sell NYX nearest to me: Ulta, Target, Walgreens, and Walmart, don't carry the full NYX range in their stores. On the websites of these retailers, you can see that ALL of the medium-dark and dark shades say "Online only"!! I would love to hear L'Oreal's explanation for this. I know for sure it's not that they're worrying about selling too much stuff. I figured because Total Control is a liquid, it would be easy to color correct by mixing with lotion or cream foundation, so I purchased Beige. For me, mixing it with another foundation doesn't work, because this little foundation packs quite a punch! Total Control has the consistency of water, but the pigments are remarkably concentrated. In fact, this formulation puts other "drop" foundations to shame. With the correct shade, the coverage is outstanding...it can be sheared out with a wet sponge (not dry or even damp), applied with fingers, painted on with a brush...it all works. If you find a shade match, this will melt into your skin and make your skin look impeccable. Beige sits on my skin and it oxidizes terribly. I've even mixed this 50/50 with MustaeV Melting Cream Foundation in White, and it was still too orange! Total Coverage has a bit of an oily-looking finish, but this might be made obvious because it doesn't match my skin.The heavy finish emphasizes, rather than disguises, imperfections. I think dry skin might love it though. I'm guessing that Medium Olive would have been a much better shade match for me, and if I ever do see Medium Olive, I will try it. It's unlikely I will repurchase this, though, because this foundation seems to be a blend of every silicone used in cosmetics. Sadly, after trying this three times, I had a cystic breakout. In addition to the breakout being a reason not to repurchase, I don't like the dropper because it's messy and wasteful. If I add drops of this on the back on my hand, it runs down my whole arm and drips onto my cabinet. If I put it on a mixing palette, it spreads out before I can pick up enough with a brush or a sponge, and a lot gets wasted. I've tried dropping this directly onto my Beautyblender and brushes, but it soaks right into the sponge, super-fast, and it drips off the brushes. This is likely my pecular problem, or some lack of coordination or patience on my part, but if you saw my sink after I use this stuff, you wouldn't like dropper liquids either.

on 8/27/2017 7:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I've read reviews for years on this site but this is my first review. I have tried many many foundations over the years and this is the best I've found for my very fair oily skin. I bought this from Target on a whim and was surprised by how light and natural it felt and looked on my skin while covering all my redness and scarring completely.

Why I like it:
1. The formula is very watery and it's very easy to dispense just the right amount with the dropper and consistently use the same amount by counting drops
2. I need very little to cover my whole face
3. Does not turn my face into an oil slick like most other foundations
4. Looks just like the skin on the rest of my body
5. The lightest shade is a perfect neutral pale match. Most drug store foundations are much too dark for me, and too orange or pink so I have to pay top dollar for pale foundations that don't deliver in other respects
6. Nice packaging
7. Price is very good

I drop it into my hand and apply with a flat foundation brush. Very quick and low maintenance, no buffing needed! Then I apply sunscreen powder and use a sephora finishing spray. Doesn't budge! Best face makeup I've ever used in my 30 years on this earth.

on 9/17/2017 4:36:00 AM

Overall would recommend if you're looking for a drop foundation or natural looking foundation on a budget. Also the shade range is good for yellow/warm tones. I used this in shade 08 and 11 (when I'm not tan/when I'm tan). I have very yellow undertones & this matches me great (some other shades I've used for reference: Hourglass sand/warm ivory mixed, MAC NC 35 when paler, diorskin nude in linen, Fenty 290, urban decay 4.0/5.0)

I have minor redness when my skin is irritated & have mild acne. Also very oily ie shiny in an hour or two usually. This combined with concealer on blemishes/acne scarring is enough coverage for me. Does not oxidize & blends really nicely. Very watery consistency as expected from drop foundation but coverage is truly buildable & is blendable.

Being oily I have to blot or touch up regardless so no this does not stay matte all day but I also know that's totally expected for me. I set this using LM loose translucent or more recently the Fenty blotting powder & it subsides any shininess for at least 3/4 hours or so before I need to blot ( which is not bad considering I naturally get oily after like 45 minutes it seems :/ )

For medium/full coverage I use 2 large drops (running down large) on each cheek & two drops on forehead. Apply with damp beauty blender and the finish is very natural. Not matte, not satin or dewy, literally just looks like your skin.

That being said is this the best foundation I've used? No. The coverage could be better and the finish although natural, could be more elegant - like a soft matte finish if you know what I mean. Price wise and in terms of shade range this is great. But if you have the money to spend I would definitely make other recommendations (for ex. I've tried the Dior drop foundation and I think its much better but they do not have a good shade range for me)

on 9/6/2017 7:14:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Colour matched my skin perfectly. Glides on so smoothly and stay all day. great coverage and easy to build on.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

The only thing I really like about this foundation is the shade range, I have porcelain and it's a shade match and the undertone is right. I have used this with two different primers, a moisturizing one and a mattifying. This foundation transferred, and it felt like it was sliding off half way through the day. Also, I've used it on it's own with no primers and the same thing happened. Such a disappointment.

This also broke me out badly. So anyone whose acne-prone, watch out.

on 8/11/2017 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Very good. Extraordinary. Good buy.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This foundation definitely lived up it's hype for me. I LOVE it! I've been using Maybelline's FitMe Foundation for years now but I think I've found a replacement. I have oily to combination skin and I tend to get oily throughout the day with other foundations but not with this one!! I loved the flawless finish it gave, I set it with the NYX Studio Finishing Powder & I couldn't stop looking in the mirror. My makeup looked freshly applied all day. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the brush NYX recommends. It was okay. I used it throughout the whole application and kinda warmed up to it- but wasn't in love with it. The bottles packaging is nice & sleek. I wish it was a littttle bit bigger, but I'm not too pissed about it. Love this foundation!! Definitely recommend

Firstly, this gets points for being the first ever foundation I've found to match my skin. I don't want to think about how much money I've thrown away on foundations that oxidised even over primer or that were starkly different to my neck.

I use Porcelain, and it hasn't oxidised even without primer. It also has a good finish, although if your skin isn't very clear be aware that it isn't easy to get good coverage with the dropper.

The packaging and the price get me. $25 for such a small bottle is galling. I have repurchased this once but if I could find a different brand with this shade I probably would not repurchase. It doesn't last nearly as long as most foundations.

The packaging is better in theory. The dropper is cumbersome and I know a lot of people have concerns about accidentally knocking the bottle and breaking. I don't know how likely this is to be a problem as it hasn't happened to me.