Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

on 3/15/2018 3:15:00 PM

I think this retinoid is largely responsible for my quickly clearing skin. My acne started from a combination of taking and stopping birth control pills and eating too many nuts and nut butters (nuts are very high in omega 6 fatty acids, which cause internal inflammation). I would keep getting 3-4 new pimples everyday for the past two years.

I started with my internal problems: First I completely quit birth control pills and nuts about two months ago; Second, I started taking Pantothenic Acid supplements (vitamin B5) with every meal. Then I changed my topical products. I've been using this product for about one month now, along with these products:

Clindamycin phosphate gel (prescription)
Neutrogena On the Spot 2.5 % benzoyl peroxide

Clindamycin phosphate gel
The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2%

These products are clarifying and smoothing my bumpy cheeks and forehead. At first, I used this retinoid only 2x a week and gradually built up to 5-6 times per week. I skip this on the days I use glycolic acid products (Herbivore Blue Tansy Resurfacing Mask or CosRx AHA 7 Whitehead Power Liquid). Three drops of the milky serum covers my entire face after toning and left slightly damp. It leaves my skin dewy and balanced, even if I don't layer moisturizer on top. In the morning, my face looks 50% more glow-y and smoother than the night before.

My skin isn't perfect because I have hyperpigmentation from healing acne, but now my face is smoother and almost bump free. I can live with that! Now I can just wear concealer to work and skip a full face of make up on casual days.

on 3/13/2018 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Just love The Ordinary!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Seems too mild for a version of retinol. May be good for those under 30. Retinol works for those over 30. This one is filled with soft mild actives without irritation such as dryness and peeling

on 2/15/2018 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I tried Retin a once and it made my skin burn and peel, I’m scared to use it again because it made me breakout as well. I tried this retinoid 3 nights in a row and didn’t have any peeling or burning and my skin did feel smoother and looked more even.
This is an amazing product for the price (around 10.00 cdn) considering most retinol products are at least three times the cost. I love the sleek packaging and will continuing using considering it has improved my skin in such a short time.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

It has changed my skin, evening out the discoloration. Nothing beats retinol! The Ordinary sells Retinol 2%. That has made the most impact on my skin feeling smoother, and definitely and quickly decreasing freckles, discoloration, and hyperpigmentation. It's done this in two weeks, but I am able to use it nightly. Can't recommend enough! The bottle with the dropper works great. Looks great with all my face oils (I buy jojoba, sweet almond, and especially argan oil from Amazon for a steal). The dark bottle protects the ingredients from oxidizing. Many, many products at ten times the price have not had the impact that this does at $10. I have sensitive skin, and even I can use it every night (because of the squalene in it probably).

FavoriteIs this review helpful? YesNo

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

*I use this product ONCE a week only.

So far, I have noticed fantastic results. My skin feels more youthful and glowy, and it also helps slightly with my under eye creases/bags. I do layer a moisturizer on top of it at night, as it helps to "lock in" the serum. Can't beat the price and I will be purchasing again!

on 12/9/2017 10:30:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

After all the rave reviews & the promise for highly effective Retinol product, I’m quite disappointed!
Here’s why..
My skin is the kind who react extremely fast & well to effective compound.
After three months of use I haven’t notice any change in my fine line what so ever. I was about to categorize this as a dud, but decided to test it all over my skin. I did notice my overall complexion looks more youthful and glowy, I’ll say that,
However, I can achieve the same effect with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil just as good, And These fine lines are still there..
(35, smooth skin, no skin issues,some fine lines)
I adore The Ordinary for being so affordable & the use of all natural high-quality ingredients,
But, at the end of the day this product didn’t delivered.

on 11/24/2017 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It is my first retinoid. I started every other night and I realised that's way too much. My face starting breaking out like crazy and I thought it was just the "purging phase" but after some research (read: googling) I toned down the regimen to once a week for a month and recently I just increased the frequency to 2x a week.

I think this product is really helpful? It helps with the existing acne scars/redness from previous acne. Though it does cause me to break out at places I don't normally have breakouts, which is my jawline.

Although it smells a little funky, it absorbs really fast (this seems to be common with all The Ordinary products) which is great.

UPDATE: I read somewhere that retinoid can take 8-12 weeks to have its effect and I think that's the case. Right now, I'm breaking out a lot less than before and my remaining acne have more or less cleared up. I do still get some occasional breakout but nothing compared to before.

on 11/21/2017 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I have used the Verso n 4 serum, which is also a serum with this new type of retinol but this comes with a remarkable lower price and I think this works even better than Verso. The only minus (as with all TO products) is that is easy to overdose. I also feel you need a higher amount of product when applying compared to Verso. But this will be my go to Retinol from now on.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wrote a review before but had to rewrite it as the effects of this product changed for the better. This review will be useful to those acne-prone who don't want to have all the retinoid uglies at once, and need to minimize the effects of this product, which is well-tolerated by a majority of people but will cause problems if you tend to break out a lot, or are sensitive to retinoids because you never used any before.

The first time I started using it, I applied it every other night, which is too much if you have never used retinol or retinoids before. Within days, my skin had become a very sensitive mess, and my face was covered with small, painful pimples. I wasn't too pleased and I knew I had to stick to it for several weeks, but I didn't have the time or courage to go through this. I went back to my AHAs and serums with a sigh of relief and stored this in a bag with a bunch of stuff I don't want to use/ consider to give away.

A few months later, I was PMSing and starting to get really tired of my hormonal acne, which was still bad (I don't use any specific long-term treatment). It comes and goes and makes life difficult, especially because I teach to students who are slightly younger than me and still have better skin than I do. Also, the anti-aging benefits sound very appealing. Although I don't need them right now, I'm sure I'll appreciate being preventive when I'm in my 30s. So I decided to re-introduce this product this very progressively in my nighttime routine. This is my retinoid timeline:

Week 1: 1 time /week
Weeks 2-3-4: 2 times/week
Weeks 5-6: 3 times/ week
Week 7 and after: Every other night.

3/4 drops will suffice first; you can add more after the 5th week. (I now use as much as I do a regular serum.)

At the beginning, my skin was sensitive and felt irritated. I got a few pimples, but nothing too crazy or noticeable: I just used a full coverage foundation, or heavy-duty concealer.

It felt extremely dry soon after: thirsty like never before. For reference, I'm usually super duper oily. I made sure not to use a very rich cream (they're usually too occlusive and therefore pore-clogging), but instead I started layering a hydrating serum and a face oil/ a nice moisturizer which I know doesn't clog my pores, like MV Oxygen Moisturizer. I did a lot of moisturizing masks, made sure to drink a lot, used mists and sprays, and stopped using oil-free foundations in favor of richer complexion products that were usually too dewy, like Cle Cosmetics CCC cream, or Zelens Youth Glow. Always use SPF- either replace the moisturizer/ oil with a good SPF Cream, apply some on top of it, or make sure your complexion product has SPF in it.

After a full month, I started appreciating the effects of this product. I now use it every other night. I wake up to a smooth, clearer, brighter complexion. I'm still a bit dry but not flakey, and never irritated. Also, I had to stop using AHAs so much, I now do around once a week on nights where I don't use the Advanced Retinoid 2%. I make sure to moisturize well on other nights, taking time to re-build my skin's barrier.

All in all, I think this is worth it. I have some discoloration that I hope will fade completely. I'll probably start using the Vit C cream from the same brand in the morning for added brightening benefits, and I'll try a more potent retinol product such as Shani Darden's when I'm finished with this.