Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.6

on 5/13/2018 5:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have used prescription retinoids in the past and I found that they worked fine on the oilier parts of my skin by wreaked havoc on any drier areas. I don't have any wrinkles or fine lines yet so I decided to take a step back and start with retinol. I always had a hard time securing a retinol product I liked because they were so expensive. I could not fathom paying more money for a product that was weaker than prescription strength Retin A. I was really glad when The Ordinary introduced their retinol products. The Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum works very well. I did not experience any irritation. The formula went on nicely and absorbs quickly. After weeks I could definitely see that my skin was clearer and more even. By the time I finished the bottle I was hooked. I wish the formula included some other antioxidants or ceramides but it is excellent value and it works.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I've been using it for 2 weeks daily (yet my skin isn't irritated) and I feel ready to write a review because I'm seeing results already!! It retails for 6£ and is probably the cheapest retinoid product in the market especially with such high potency. I really love this, my skin feels glowy and even toned. My light scarring and discoloration are slowly fading away. I wake up in the morning with a much smoother and fresher complexion. I keep my skincare routine very minimal, I use a face wash and toner daily, exfoliate 3 times a week, apply this serum daily and add a moisturizer on top, that is all. TO is making a huge difference on my skin texture. I've tried other Retinol products such as the much raved about LRP Redermic R who had zero results on me and even irritated my skin (check my full review) so I'm happy I found TO which actually works and is 5 times cheaper. I've ordered a 2nd bottle.

on 4/27/2018 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Eyyyy, Deciem is really on their game with bringing affordable, high-performance products to the game!

I didn't know TO had a huge cult following behind it when I bought this, I really bought it for the retinol concentration. Retinol has literally performed miracles on my skin, I used to have deep acne scarring that I thought I couldn't get rid of from my life! My skin is prone to discoloration, scarring, etc. Recently the texture of my skin had been getting bumpy, so I pulled this out and tried it.

It comes in a tinted glass bottle with a dropper, and it's really thin and serum-y. This is very unlike other retinols I've used which were usually thick creams or lotions. It dries to a sticky, tacky film that has a bit of shine. I recommend applying it before you go to sleep so you wake up to bright, even toned skin! For less than $10, this is probably the most affordable way of getting the results of a visit to the aesthetician at home!

Was having problematic skin and didn’t know what product to turn to. This is coming from someone who had the clearest of skins. People used to come up close to check my face as to how clear it was. I used to wear minimal make up too. A few years down the line, I noticed my skin started to look off. It was dull and I somehow developed these small under skin bumps. No idea where they came from. It covered well with make up, however, it just wasn’t good enough for me. I had to look into different skin care products to get rid of these bumps. I did a chemical peel and that helped somewhat. But not enough. I changed my skin care routine completely. I decided to try a few The Ordinary products. They were reasonably priced so I didn’t have much to lose. I purchased the Retinol, AHA peel and the Buffet. AHA I do every 10 days as it will be too harsh to use frequently as it’s an exfoliant. I also purchased a hyaluronic acid serum from another brand which I use everyday. All of these products seems to have helped my skin look more alive and glowy. Bumps have gone and I can feel my complexion getting better every day. Finally I found a few products that’s working and getting my good skin back! I read another review in regards to Retinol thinning the skin down the line. Decided to skip the Retinol every night and use it once or twice a week. I also use Vitamin E oil on top of my Hyaluronic acid serum. They all seem to work wonders on skin. Will continue to use the Retinol but not every night. I always use SPF50 but apparently, it’s just not enough to prevent skin damage when using Retinol. I don’t really want to wear a hat everyday either. Loving The Ordinary range.

on 3/22/2018 10:44:00 AM

I don't know why but it works. My skin has not been happy with the majority of The Ordinary's products: they break me out and I find them difficult to apply - they either make my skin uncomfortably sticky, form a film on my skin or just peel off. This product has been a pleasant surprise. I use it at night, after cleansing and toning. I usually don't put anything on top or use some light oil if my skin is flaky. It really helps me to calm any inflammations and heal up my acne. I am not sure if it's retinol or any other ingredient in the formula, but it works and significantly improves overall skin texture. I hope they don't reformulate it.

on 3/15/2018 3:15:00 PM

I think this retinoid is largely responsible for my quickly clearing skin. My acne started from a combination of taking and stopping birth control pills and eating too many nuts and nut butters (nuts are very high in omega 6 fatty acids, which cause internal inflammation). I would keep getting 3-4 new pimples everyday for the past two years.

I started with my internal problems: First I completely quit birth control pills and nuts about two months ago; Second, I started taking Pantothenic Acid supplements (vitamin B5) with every meal. Then I changed my topical products. I've been using this product for about one month now, along with these products:

Morning:
Clindamycin phosphate gel (prescription)
Neutrogena On the Spot 2.5 % benzoyl peroxide

Evening:
Clindamycin phosphate gel
The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2%

These products are clarifying and smoothing my bumpy cheeks and forehead. At first, I used this retinoid only 2x a week and gradually built up to 5-6 times per week. I skip this on the days I use glycolic acid products (Herbivore Blue Tansy Resurfacing Mask or CosRx AHA 7 Whitehead Power Liquid). Three drops of the milky serum covers my entire face after toning and left slightly damp. It leaves my skin dewy and balanced, even if I don't layer moisturizer on top. In the morning, my face looks 50% more glow-y and smoother than the night before.

My skin isn't perfect because I have hyperpigmentation from healing acne, but now my face is smoother and almost bump free. I can live with that! Now I can just wear concealer to work and skip a full face of make up on casual days.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

It has changed my skin, evening out the discoloration. Nothing beats retinol! The Ordinary sells Retinol 2%. That has made the most impact on my skin feeling smoother, and definitely and quickly decreasing freckles, discoloration, and hyperpigmentation. It's done this in two weeks, but I am able to use it nightly. Can't recommend enough! The bottle with the dropper works great. Looks great with all my face oils (I buy jojoba, sweet almond, and especially argan oil from Amazon for a steal). The dark bottle protects the ingredients from oxidizing. Many, many products at ten times the price have not had the impact that this does at $10. I have sensitive skin, and even I can use it every night (because of the squalene in it probably).

FavoriteIs this review helpful? YesNo

on 11/24/2017 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It is my first retinoid. I started every other night and I realised that's way too much. My face starting breaking out like crazy and I thought it was just the "purging phase" but after some research (read: googling) I toned down the regimen to once a week for a month and recently I just increased the frequency to 2x a week.

I think this product is really helpful? It helps with the existing acne scars/redness from previous acne. Though it does cause me to break out at places I don't normally have breakouts, which is my jawline.

Although it smells a little funky, it absorbs really fast (this seems to be common with all The Ordinary products) which is great.

UPDATE: I read somewhere that retinoid can take 8-12 weeks to have its effect and I think that's the case. Right now, I'm breaking out a lot less than before and my remaining acne have more or less cleared up. I do still get some occasional breakout but nothing compared to before.

on 10/25/2017 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have combo/oily/acne prone skin that is also sensitive.
I use this 2-3 times a week and the glow in my skin is definitely noticeable!
Acne spots are starting to fade and any slight pigmentation is barely visible. Been using for about 2-3 months now and it's amazing!
My skin does slightly peel but it is very controllable compared to retinoids Drs have prescribed me! Worth every dollar!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Well, I tried but ended up tossing. I'm not at all convinced that this particular retinol formulation is enough to produce any results on skin that is used to regular retinols (not Rx, just over the counter ). It felt nice enough but a little too moisturizing for my oily/combo skin. I think for a first time retinol user it would be a good way to ease in to retinols if your skin is sensitive or dry-ish.