Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

on 10/10/2017 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I really wanted to like this, I admire The Ordinary brand and their efforts to simplify skincare choices at a great price point. BUT, this has done nothing for my skin except dry it out, even with moisturiser and oil on top, and using only every other night - I always had flaky skin around my nose which would only come off with manual exfoliation. I used to use Paula's Choice 1% retinol, with minimal irritation so I don't think it was a acclimation issue. The lines on my face have gotten worse (granted, this has been a very stressful year for me), so after persevering through a bottle and a half of this, I'm switching to a more emollient retinol product.

on 7/31/2017 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I'm a bit up in the air with how I feel about this product. I'm still in the "testing" phase, but I didn't see results like most people did. I have clear skin from use of topical BP and have sensitive skin with melasma.

I used this for a little more than a week - and I don't know how others are seeing immediate, next day results - but my skin didn't look any different. It FELT smoother, but I'm aiming for fading of fine lines, wrinkles, and melasma. I didn't see any of this better after a week, but I'm not surprised. I believe it takes much longer (like 4 weeks) to see serious results with retinoids. Just keep that in mind when trying this product out.

I did, however, start to see little whiteheads appear on my left side of nose area. I didn't break out/purge anywhere else - but at this point, I was using this stuff every other night and noticed my skin was starting to get a bit greasier than normal. I'm guessing - for me - it was overuse of this product -- AKA: too much exfoliation. I stopped using it - but plan to try going back to using this once, maybe 2 times a week AT THE MOST.

Because this product is a chemical exfoliant, I'm a bit shocked that most websites recommend using it nightly if your skin can tolerate it. I've seen the same recommendations for AHA, too. I didn't think ANYONE should be exfoliating their skin every single night. It seems a bit harsh, and a bit overkill. If your skin is like mine, the excessive exfoliation started to cause more oil production and I was getting more greasy. This happens when you overexfoliate (high turnover of cells). I use my moisturizer twice a day - so it's not for a lack of moisturizer. I wouldn't do a skin scrub on my face every single night, why in the world would I use a chemical one? Even the most basic facial scrubs (like my elf one that I love) will tell you to not exfoliate every night.

Will see how my skin handles once/twice a week.

I stumbled across this product looking for an alternative to a more expensive retinoid product (Sunday Riley Luna). I love everything about this product! My skin has never looked so healthy. This product has improved my texture issues, decreased breakouts, and made my skin look plump and hydrated. I could not ask for anything more. And the price is incredible!

on 5/20/2017 3:40:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Realised it was time I started adding some higher strength retinol to my skincare again, and given how much I trust these guys, this was my first choice.

It's great - the most important thing is that there's pretty much none of the usual initial retinol soreness from using this stuff. (don't know if anyone else finds that off putting but it has stopped me from using other products in the past )

My skin was a little on the pink/ fresh side the first time but I built up the dose gradually.

It's a thin milky fluid so you need to layer it on damp skin or other product so it spreads properly but that really is the only downside. Other people may actually like that about it.

Anyhow, I'm a few months and half a bottle down and this is helping my skin look fresher, firmer and clearer.

Absolutely brilliant, especially considering the price.

on 5/2/2017 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Bought this as a replacement for my more expensive retinol cream and have been loving it. I must admit having that I have changed a lot of steps in my skincare regime as of lately, having added a lot of The Ordinary products.
I have been using this for about a month and noticed a slight improvement around my eye area (yes I do use it as an eye cream as well) and the skin on my face in general. Since the price point is so reasonable I decided to use it on my neck and chest as well , starting only a a couple of weeks back. I have seen a huge improvement especially on the neck and chest, quite dramatically actually. Will definitely repurchase, just need them to stock up and a few other things that I will be buying, to qualify for the free shipping.

OK. so I recently purchased a few items from this line. I was already using the 1% retinol and had no issues with it, so why not go a bit harder with the 2%? Anyway, this comes in a dropper bottle and the consistency and colour is like milk. It really reminds me of a product I used to use called Synergie A+ serum in feel and texture on the skin. I placed a few drops on my palm and then dotted this over my clean skin. The first thing I noticed was how quickly it dries on the skin. 3 drops did my entire face, but once you have rubbed it in, it completely absorbs. I followed up with The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factor. On initial application, I had absolutely no adverse reaction. The following morning, my skin felt completely normal and there were no reactions over night. My skin is very clear, but I am 51, so anti ageing is my ultimate goal with skincare. I am seriously impressed with this range so far. The only product that I haven't liked is the Caffeine Eye solution.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This review is for the ordinary 1% retinol. Can't find a thread for the 1%.Please use this product with caution! I practically burnt my skin using this product. I've been using Paula's choice clinical 1% so thought my skin could tolerate this! I was very wrong! I should have been more careful using it. Firstly, be careful with the amount that is squeezed from the tube - in hindsight I may have used WAY too much. If the packaging had a pump it would make it way easier to use. Secondly, I did not have any sensitivity after using this product two nights in a row so was lulled into a false sense of security. I'm currently 2 full days with itchy, flaky, red, sore and tight skin. Never again will I chance using this. Unless you're skin is able to tolerate potent retinol proceed with caution.

on 3/24/2017 4:41:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I am in love with this product. Admittedly I only ever tried quite low concentrations of retinol (or similar) in products because higher concentrations were either hard to come by or too expensive, so I can't really compare to other retinol/retinoid formulas - but this one is just so lovely.
I have a sensitive skin prone to breaking out but it seems like most (looking at you, Matrixyl) Ordinary products have such simple formulas that my skin is more than happy to cooperate. This retinoid caused no itching or peeling, just makes my skin feel fresh and healthy and makes healing of blemishes faster.
It also smells like almond milk, so of all my Ordinaries this is definitely the one that feels the most like a spa treat.

on 3/18/2017 7:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Brilliant addition to my bedtime beauty regime! I didn't get on very well with using pure retinol as I just couldn't cope with the excessive peeling on my face. So I thought I'd give this a go. I have only been using this for about a month and I can see the difference in my skin/fine lines. I know this product will take longer to achieve the results of pure retinol but this does not give you any peeling whatsoever, so for me it's a winner! I have tried all the products from The Ordinary and they are all truly amazing!!