Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.4

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have normal/dry skin and I am 30. My skin had no major issues except it looks unhealthy, dull and uneven due to pimple marks, freckles etc. This is my first retinoid product.

I bought this together with Alpha-H Liquid gold since everybody is raving about the LG. My skin improved drastically in a few weeks with daily LG and twice a week of this product. No sensitivity, no peeling. I just looked glowing and healthy. I assumed this was due to LG because it had so many good reviews and cost three times as much as The Ordinary. It should work, right? Also, I was expecting some kind of horrible peel with my very first retinoid and it just never happened. After 3-4 weeks makeup wasn't settling on my face though, mostly whatever I put on my face just looked flakey and like above my skin, not on my skin. So I bought a daily scrub and that fixed it completely. But it has never peeled as it was described to me so I assumed the retinoid must be useless, and I should get one of the better ones.

Then I went on a month-long summer trip and left the retinoid behind because I heard sunlight and retinoids don't mix. I kept using the LG daily.

My oh my, my face looked awful when I got back. It just looked sick. So I started using it again, two weeks in and wow I'm getting so many compliments on my glowing skin.

As some other reviewers said, the texture feels like it's difficult to absorb but just put it on your face 15 minutes before you go to bed and you'll be fine. This stuff is the bomb!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this. I alternate between using this and Skinceuticals 0.3 retinol and my skin is definitely looking brighter, although only time will tell whether this fades my pigmentation. Even with my acne scars however, I notice my skin glows and looks fresh and for the price point this product cant be beat.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is a great retinol product especially for the price! Would definitely buy again :)
My skin type: sensitive, dehydrated & extremely prone to acne and clogged pores

Pros:
- didn't break me out (didn't even experience purging which is normal for retinol products)
- great texture similar to that of a thin moisturizer/ emulsion
- did not make my skin drier or cause any flakiness/ dry patches, which I used to get from prescription retinol
- good stable packaging

Cons:
- effects aren't as fast/ extreme as prescription retinol

on 6/8/2017 7:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had mild to moderate acne since the age of 16 (now 28) and have been put on accutane regime twice. I have done several chemical peels and microdermabrasion. I used tretinoine (in the form of isotrex) until december 2016. On january 2017 I purchased a La Roche Posay retinol product called Redermic R with no positive outcomes. I have been reading and informed from my derm about the benefits of retinoids and that's why I insisted.
Now about the actual condition of my skin. I do have enlarged pores and a lot of blackheads. I do get the occasional breakout usually around the beginning or end of my cycle (my acne was and still is hormone related) and am prone to comedones and whiteheads. What really bothers me and I want to solve is acne scarring and signs of premature aging which I have a lot due to harsh chemicals used to cure acne. I have a lot of small lines on my cheeks which are visible when I smile, am developing crows feet and permanent lines on my forehead.
I have used this product so far JUST ONCE,yesterday evening. I put it all over my face and neck. I even put it around my eyes and I didn't use any hydrator cause it felt pretty oily afterwards. The results I got in the morning were AMAZING!! My skin looked plump and healthy and my crows feet weren't that much noticeable. I still can't believe this isn't total bs and waste of money. I have been buying estee lauder eye creams, with no results, for about 4 years now and those things are damn expensive. This on the other hand is so cheap! I really hope it works in the long run! I don't care about the purging phase ,if it will happen to me, I am already used to acne. Just want something to incorporate to my routine that actually does a difference.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

So I started using this 3 days ago, and WOW. I tried a retinol cream from my dermatologist once, and I was dry nonstop, even though my skin is usually oily. I know it's normal with retinoids, but who has time for that? Lol. I gave up on retinol and wasn't really thinking about trying it again until I found out about this line. I get lots of clogged pores, especially on the cheeks. After 3 days of use, my skin already looks smoother, and the overall tone is much more even. I use this after cleansing and applying a toner, I wait 30 mins to an hour, then apply moisturizer. It's important with any serum to let it sit on your face for a little while, I find that they are much more effective this way. It is a little sticky, but it dries fast. I don't need a lot of product, only a few drops. I'm amazed that it does not dry my skin out whatsoever, even after using it for a few days in a row. I hear that this is great for aging skin as well. Try this serum out. It seems to be super effective, and it's very affordable compared to other products like this!

on 6/3/2017 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This serum is absolutely brilliant for my skin. I'm used to retin A a couple of times a week and have no sensitivity issues. I wanted to keep up my retinoid during the week but without necessarily resorting to strong retinol as I'm not totally convinced that aggressive products are good in the long run for my skin.
I've used this serum for about two months now and I love how it leaves my skin. Fresh, peachy, even toned. I never fail to notice how the general tone of my skin looks rested and even in the morning. I also apply it around my eyes as a treatment at night and never had any problem. I apply this serum and after about 30 minutes I top it up with an oil or hyaluronic acid and moisturizer.
I love most Ordinary products but this is really my favourite. Needless to say I'll keep repurchasing it.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

EPIC!!!! This is the perfect retinoid product for my skin! It doesn't irritate one bit or overly dry me out. This along with the Buffet is my HG night treatment. This is a watery, yellowish serum that absorbs immediately into the skin for me. I use about 4 drops for the face and 2 drops for the neck after my Buffet application and wake up to super smooth, clear, renewed skin! It has also lessened my fine lines on my forehead and smile lines greatly. You cannot beat the price either! I find this product along with the Buffet and this company groundbreaking and game changing. Fabulous! xoxoxox

on 3/31/2017 5:45:00 PM

Another great product from The Ordinary. This is beautifully formulated, non irritating, fast absorbing and doesn't dry me out. Also, I have found this to be very effective for my nasty KP on the back of my arms! On my face I am using 3-4 x a week, with the B5 serum around my eyes and cheeks, and moisturizer on top of everything. This has improved my skin texture and helped with blackheads around my nose.Also a super reasonable price, like all of the Ordinary products. Highly recommend!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This review is for the ordinary 1% retinol. Can't find a thread for the 1%.Please use this product with caution! I practically burnt my skin using this product. I've been using Paula's choice clinical 1% so thought my skin could tolerate this! I was very wrong! I should have been more careful using it. Firstly, be careful with the amount that is squeezed from the tube - in hindsight I may have used WAY too much. If the packaging had a pump it would make it way easier to use. Secondly, I did not have any sensitivity after using this product two nights in a row so was lulled into a false sense of security. I'm currently 2 full days with itchy, flaky, red, sore and tight skin. Never again will I chance using this. Unless you're skin is able to tolerate potent retinol proceed with caution.

on 3/24/2017 4:41:00 AM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I am in love with this product. Admittedly I only ever tried quite low concentrations of retinol (or similar) in products because higher concentrations were either hard to come by or too expensive, so I can't really compare to other retinol/retinoid formulas - but this one is just so lovely.
I have a sensitive skin prone to breaking out but it seems like most (looking at you, Matrixyl) Ordinary products have such simple formulas that my skin is more than happy to cooperate. This retinoid caused no itching or peeling, just makes my skin feel fresh and healthy and makes healing of blemishes faster.
It also smells like almond milk, so of all my Ordinaries this is definitely the one that feels the most like a spa treat.