Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.2

on 10/6/2017 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

ive only used this once (i just started introducing retinol into my skincare routine) but so far i havent got any negative reaction from it whatsoever. i have a good feeling about the product coz i was afraid that my skin wasnt going to respond well to a retinol treatment but so far there has been no irritation no nothing so thats good. will continue using it for a year and see how i get on with it and update this review.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I was wary using this because I've never used any advanced Skincare products before this. I have to say I'm pleased with the results so far. It's been a week and my skin is looking brighter and clearer. I hope to see even more results with prolonged use.

on 7/31/2017 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I'm a bit up in the air with how I feel about this product. I'm still in the "testing" phase, but I didn't see results like most people did. I have clear skin from use of topical BP and have sensitive skin with melasma.

I used this for a little more than a week - and I don't know how others are seeing immediate, next day results - but my skin didn't look any different. It FELT smoother, but I'm aiming for fading of fine lines, wrinkles, and melasma. I didn't see any of this better after a week, but I'm not surprised. I believe it takes much longer (like 4 weeks) to see serious results with retinoids. Just keep that in mind when trying this product out.

I did, however, start to see little whiteheads appear on my left side of nose area. I didn't break out/purge anywhere else - but at this point, I was using this stuff every other night and noticed my skin was starting to get a bit greasier than normal. I'm guessing - for me - it was overuse of this product -- AKA: too much exfoliation. I stopped using it - but plan to try going back to using this once, maybe 2 times a week AT THE MOST.

Because this product is a chemical exfoliant, I'm a bit shocked that most websites recommend using it nightly if your skin can tolerate it. I've seen the same recommendations for AHA, too. I didn't think ANYONE should be exfoliating their skin every single night. It seems a bit harsh, and a bit overkill. If your skin is like mine, the excessive exfoliation started to cause more oil production and I was getting more greasy. This happens when you overexfoliate (high turnover of cells). I use my moisturizer twice a day - so it's not for a lack of moisturizer. I wouldn't do a skin scrub on my face every single night, why in the world would I use a chemical one? Even the most basic facial scrubs (like my elf one that I love) will tell you to not exfoliate every night.

Will see how my skin handles once/twice a week.

on 6/25/2017 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I tried a lot of products from the Ordinary due to its price point. This is one of my favorite products hands down. I've tried a lot of retinoid products, this is the only one that not only packs a punch but is also non-irritating. My skin is very tolerant to retinoids so i'm not sure how sensitive skin users would like this product but for my acne prone, combination skin, this is great. I would recommend to anyone who is acne prone but wants a treatment serum which also has hydration.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I have used it for 6-7 weeks, only during PM.
Started slow using once a week for 3 weeks, then twice a week for 2 weeks, then every third day, now every day.
I use it to fade acne scars, get better skin texture and avoid future wrinkles as much as possible.
Consistency is rather thick and doesn't feel like it gets absorbed no matter how much I wait.
I do not like it is not an air-tight packaging.
I have yet not see difference in my acne scars, but I do see difference in skin texture (tighter pores). Having at the moment patches of peeling/irritated skin and dryness around my chin so I think I will switch to every third day again.
I wear high SPF during am.

my pm routine:
CLINIQUE Dramatically Different Moisturizing Cream
ESTEE LAUDER Advanced Night Repair
LEEJIHAM Vita Propolis Ampoule
SKINFOOD Royal Honey Propolis Shield Cream

Might be harsh to use p50 along with retinol but all doctors agree p50 is fine with over the counter retinol.

am routine:
CLINIQUE Liquid Facial Soap Extra Mild with flannel
BIOLOGIQUE RECHERCHE Lotion P50
HADALABO Gokujun Hyaluronic Lotion
CLINIQUE Dramatically Different Moisturizing Cream
LEEJIHAM Vita Propolis Ampoule
CLINIQUE Smart Day Cream SPF15
CLINIQUE SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen for Face.
LA ROCHE-POSAY Anthelios Invisible Face Mist SPF 50+ (in the middle of the day)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm working my way through all The Ordinary products but this was the first one I tried, so the one I've been using the longest. I haven't used many other retinol products in the past but the one I have been using the past year is tested on animals and my new year's resolution was to purge my life of anything that isn't cruelty free. I was very excited to discover The Ordinary because they state very clearly that they are a cruelty free brand. I switched to this retinol about 6 weeks ago and haven't seen any drastic results, I only use it on my forehead area because I have incredibly purge prone skin and learnt my lesson with retinols but my forehead is also the only area of my face that is showing signs of ageing. I experienced a tiny purge, a couple of small pimples after a few weeks but overall my skin has reacted very well to this. It's extremely gentle, I use a small amount every night and have experienced no dryness or peeling, the texture is milky and a little greasy once on but as my forehead is quite dry I actually like this. Nothing drastic has happened to the lines or pores on my forehead but it's certainly maintaining the results from my pervious retinol, I'm going to keep going with it because it's such a gentle product and so cheap but I will probably add their 1% and compare at some point.

on 5/17/2017 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

So I decided to jump on The Ordinary bandwagon after:

1. getting sick of spending my hard earned cash on average serums (Khiels midnight recovery, Aesop and Estee Lauder anyone?); and

2. seeing it on sale on AdoreBeauty.

Although it seems impossible, after two nights of using this serum I can tell it's a winner.

At first I was a bit apprehensive because of low price (hoowww do they make it so potent but so cheap?) and some reviews on here (people say it's sticky).

I won't lie, on application I did find it slightly sticky. However, this went away about 3 minutes later and the product had completely absorbed. Great.

For background, I am not an alabaster beauty. My skin is medium tone, combination/oily, uneven and generally looks terrible without makeup.

Woke up this morning and had to look twice.

My usually tired, blotchy and sallow skin looked even, plump and bright. My frown line (which is there constantly) was so much less pronounced. My makeup went on like a dream also.

This is probably the first skincare item that I have used where I have noted a substantial difference.

When I think about all the money I have wasted on expensive skincare, I cringe. Don't bother with the expensive stuff, save your cash and buy this instead!

on 5/8/2017 8:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

As someone who hasn't really given any thought to skincare before, I have bought only the occasional oil or moisturiser. My main concern was always the eye area (hollowed, dark circles, so much fun overall). BUT I found myself turning 30 and reading on Korean Skincare about how Koreans like to start their skincare regimes early on, like 14 or so and I was mortified. And as someone who always tries to be as thrifty as possible, I started researching affordable anti-aging choices to get me started, even though I was late to the skincare party. Now, I have to say that I consider my skin (apart from the eye area) fairly good, with the occasional spot and somewhat visible pores but that's about it. My extensive internet research guided me to retinols and in turn that led me to the Advanced Retinoid 2%.
This is the first time I've applied anything retinol related to my skin. I apply it all over, including the area under the eyes, as I've read that it can help with the hollows. I have been using this for the past month and I have to say that my skin is visibly smoother and actually softer in the morning, but that's about it. No change yet under the eyes. I have had some scaling, mostly around the mouth. I like its consistency - it's white and has a serum-like feel, though on the heavier side -and I find it easy to spread and quick to absorb. Will continue to use in hopes of staving the lines and wrinkles off a little bit longer.

on 11/23/2016 11:26:00 AM

This brand has got to be the biggest game-changer in the skincare industry in decades. If you haven't heard of them yet, you better get on it because it is simply amazing! If you're looking for specific ingredients without all the fancy marketing, and with a mind-bogglingly low price point, this is absolutely for you. There are many skincare ingredients I've been meaning to try and incorporate into my regime, and this gives me the opportunity to do so.

I'm reaching a certain age in my life when my skin is starting to need a little help to look its best so I wanted to add an anti-aging component to my routine. I've heard all the benefits of retinols so when I found this gem I had to have it. From what I've learned, there are slight differences from retinols and retinoids, and there is also a difference between this formula and the traditional ones. They describe this formula to contain the "next-generation form of retinoid actives" which are supposed "avoid the irritation associated with retinoid (including retinol) use while delivering better visible results against signs of ageing". So from what I understand, although they say this formula is a 2% concentration, it can't be compared to regular retinoids with the same concentration. I personally haven't tried traditional retinoids so I can't really compare the effectiveness of both, but I can give you my opinion as a newbie.

The product has a milky consistency and smells a bit like oil. It spreads easily and absorbs quickly without being greasy. I use it after my toner, and before my moisturizer at night exclusively. On my first application, I did feel a slight tingle and warming sensation. I thought I had to remove it but the sensation did not get more severe so I left it on and had no problems (fyi I use AHA/BHAs on a regular basis so my skin may be more tolerant). I've heard so much about peeling so I was very cautious with how I used this. I started using it about twice a week, and eventually every other day, and now I use it every night and I never had any horror stories. In terms of efficacy, I did have slight/gradual purging and some dryness. I noticed some more stubborn under-the-skin bumps are surfacing, and pigmentation from acne are healing. I developed some dry patches after I started, but I was able to use my Ole Henriksen Lemon Strip Flash Peel to remove dead surface skin and it solved it. I initially avoided AHA/BHA products when I started this product to avoid irritation, but after about a month I reincorporated those products, and they work well together.

Its been about two months now, and my skin is still transforming but I can see a difference, and I can see what direction it is going. It hasn't helped with sun spots as much as I'd like, but it is definitely making a difference in skin texture and clarity. The clincher is that it cost under 10$CAD with free shipping, when a serum like this could easily cost 60+$ at Sephora. Nothing costs over 15$ at The Ordinary. I look forward to trying more formulations soon!

EDIT: free shipping is now on orders of 25+$ (5$ for shipping if your total is less than 25$). Not that that's bad by any means, but it used to be free regardless of purchase total which was better.