Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

3.8

on 12/9/2017 10:30:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

After all the rave reviews & the promise for highly effective Retinol product, I’m quite disappointed!
Here’s why..
My skin is the kind who react extremely fast & well to effective compound.
After three months of use I haven’t notice any change in my fine line what so ever. I was about to categorize this as a dud, but decided to test it all over my skin. I did notice my overall complexion looks more youthful and glowy, I’ll say that,
However, I can achieve the same effect with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil just as good, And These fine lines are still there..
(35, smooth skin, no skin issues,some fine lines)
I adore The Ordinary for being so affordable & the use of all natural high-quality ingredients,
But, at the end of the day this product didn’t delivered.

on 11/24/2017 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It is my first retinoid. I started every other night and I realised that's way too much. My face starting breaking out like crazy and I thought it was just the "purging phase" but after some research (read: googling) I toned down the regimen to once a week for a month and recently I just increased the frequency to 2x a week.

I think this product is really helpful? It helps with the existing acne scars/redness from previous acne. Though it does cause me to break out at places I don't normally have breakouts, which is my jawline.

Although it smells a little funky, it absorbs really fast (this seems to be common with all The Ordinary products) which is great.

on 10/10/2017 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I really wanted to like this, I admire The Ordinary brand and their efforts to simplify skincare choices at a great price point. BUT, this has done nothing for my skin except dry it out, even with moisturiser and oil on top, and using only every other night - I always had flaky skin around my nose which would only come off with manual exfoliation. I used to use Paula's Choice 1% retinol, with minimal irritation so I don't think it was a acclimation issue. The lines on my face have gotten worse (granted, this has been a very stressful year for me), so after persevering through a bottle and a half of this, I'm switching to a more emollient retinol product.

on 10/6/2017 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

ive only used this once (i just started introducing retinol into my skincare routine) but so far i havent got any negative reaction from it whatsoever. i have a good feeling about the product coz i was afraid that my skin wasnt going to respond well to a retinol treatment but so far there has been no irritation no nothing so thats good. will continue using it for a year and see how i get on with it and update this review.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I was wary using this because I've never used any advanced Skincare products before this. I have to say I'm pleased with the results so far. It's been a week and my skin is looking brighter and clearer. I hope to see even more results with prolonged use.

on 7/31/2017 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I'm a bit up in the air with how I feel about this product. I'm still in the "testing" phase, but I didn't see results like most people did. I have clear skin from use of topical BP and have sensitive skin with melasma.

I used this for a little more than a week - and I don't know how others are seeing immediate, next day results - but my skin didn't look any different. It FELT smoother, but I'm aiming for fading of fine lines, wrinkles, and melasma. I didn't see any of this better after a week, but I'm not surprised. I believe it takes much longer (like 4 weeks) to see serious results with retinoids. Just keep that in mind when trying this product out.

I did, however, start to see little whiteheads appear on my left side of nose area. I didn't break out/purge anywhere else - but at this point, I was using this stuff every other night and noticed my skin was starting to get a bit greasier than normal. I'm guessing - for me - it was overuse of this product -- AKA: too much exfoliation. I stopped using it - but plan to try going back to using this once, maybe 2 times a week AT THE MOST.

Because this product is a chemical exfoliant, I'm a bit shocked that most websites recommend using it nightly if your skin can tolerate it. I've seen the same recommendations for AHA, too. I didn't think ANYONE should be exfoliating their skin every single night. It seems a bit harsh, and a bit overkill. If your skin is like mine, the excessive exfoliation started to cause more oil production and I was getting more greasy. This happens when you overexfoliate (high turnover of cells). I use my moisturizer twice a day - so it's not for a lack of moisturizer. I wouldn't do a skin scrub on my face every single night, why in the world would I use a chemical one? Even the most basic facial scrubs (like my elf one that I love) will tell you to not exfoliate every night.

Will see how my skin handles once/twice a week.

on 6/25/2017 9:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I tried a lot of products from the Ordinary due to its price point. This is one of my favorite products hands down. I've tried a lot of retinoid products, this is the only one that not only packs a punch but is also non-irritating. My skin is very tolerant to retinoids so i'm not sure how sensitive skin users would like this product but for my acne prone, combination skin, this is great. I would recommend to anyone who is acne prone but wants a treatment serum which also has hydration.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I have used it for 6-7 weeks, only during PM.
Started slow using once a week for 3 weeks, then twice a week for 2 weeks, then every third day, now every day.
I use it to fade acne scars, get better skin texture and avoid future wrinkles as much as possible.
Consistency is rather thick and doesn't feel like it gets absorbed no matter how much I wait.
I do not like it is not an air-tight packaging.
I have yet not see difference in my acne scars, but I do see difference in skin texture (tighter pores). Having at the moment patches of peeling/irritated skin and dryness around my chin so I think I will switch to every third day again.
I wear high SPF during am.

my pm routine:
CLINIQUE Dramatically Different Moisturizing Cream
ESTEE LAUDER Advanced Night Repair
LEEJIHAM Vita Propolis Ampoule
SKINFOOD Royal Honey Propolis Shield Cream

Might be harsh to use p50 along with retinol but all doctors agree p50 is fine with over the counter retinol.

am routine:
CLINIQUE Liquid Facial Soap Extra Mild with flannel
BIOLOGIQUE RECHERCHE Lotion P50
HADALABO Gokujun Hyaluronic Lotion
CLINIQUE Dramatically Different Moisturizing Cream
LEEJIHAM Vita Propolis Ampoule
CLINIQUE Smart Day Cream SPF15
CLINIQUE SPF 50 Mineral Sunscreen for Face.
LA ROCHE-POSAY Anthelios Invisible Face Mist SPF 50+ (in the middle of the day)

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm working my way through all The Ordinary products but this was the first one I tried, so the one I've been using the longest. I haven't used many other retinol products in the past but the one I have been using the past year is tested on animals and my new year's resolution was to purge my life of anything that isn't cruelty free. I was very excited to discover The Ordinary because they state very clearly that they are a cruelty free brand. I switched to this retinol about 6 weeks ago and haven't seen any drastic results, I only use it on my forehead area because I have incredibly purge prone skin and learnt my lesson with retinols but my forehead is also the only area of my face that is showing signs of ageing. I experienced a tiny purge, a couple of small pimples after a few weeks but overall my skin has reacted very well to this. It's extremely gentle, I use a small amount every night and have experienced no dryness or peeling, the texture is milky and a little greasy once on but as my forehead is quite dry I actually like this. Nothing drastic has happened to the lines or pores on my forehead but it's certainly maintaining the results from my pervious retinol, I'm going to keep going with it because it's such a gentle product and so cheap but I will probably add their 1% and compare at some point.

on 5/17/2017 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

So I decided to jump on The Ordinary bandwagon after:

1. getting sick of spending my hard earned cash on average serums (Khiels midnight recovery, Aesop and Estee Lauder anyone?); and

2. seeing it on sale on AdoreBeauty.

Although it seems impossible, after two nights of using this serum I can tell it's a winner.

At first I was a bit apprehensive because of low price (hoowww do they make it so potent but so cheap?) and some reviews on here (people say it's sticky).

I won't lie, on application I did find it slightly sticky. However, this went away about 3 minutes later and the product had completely absorbed. Great.

For background, I am not an alabaster beauty. My skin is medium tone, combination/oily, uneven and generally looks terrible without makeup.

Woke up this morning and had to look twice.

My usually tired, blotchy and sallow skin looked even, plump and bright. My frown line (which is there constantly) was so much less pronounced. My makeup went on like a dream also.

This is probably the first skincare item that I have used where I have noted a substantial difference.

When I think about all the money I have wasted on expensive skincare, I cringe. Don't bother with the expensive stuff, save your cash and buy this instead!