Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.2

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wrote a review before but had to rewrite it as the effects of this product changed for the better. This review will be useful to those acne-prone who don't want to have all the retinoid uglies at once, and need to minimize the effects of this product, which is well-tolerated by a majority of people but will cause problems if you tend to break out a lot, or are sensitive to retinoids because you never used any before.

The first time I started using it, I applied it every other night, which is too much if you have never used retinol or retinoids before. Within days, my skin had become a very sensitive mess, and my face was covered with small, painful pimples. I wasn't too pleased and I knew I had to stick to it for several weeks, but I didn't have the time or courage to go through this. I went back to my AHAs and serums with a sigh of relief and stored this in a bag with a bunch of stuff I don't want to use/ consider to give away.

A few months later, I was PMSing and starting to get really tired of my hormonal acne, which was still bad (I don't use any specific long-term treatment). It comes and goes and makes life difficult, especially because I teach to students who are slightly younger than me and still have better skin than I do. Also, the anti-aging benefits sound very appealing. Although I don't need them right now, I'm sure I'll appreciate being preventive when I'm in my 30s. So I decided to re-introduce this product this very progressively in my nighttime routine. This is my retinoid timeline:

Week 1: 1 time /week
Weeks 2-3-4: 2 times/week
Weeks 5-6: 3 times/ week
Week 7 and after: Every other night.

3/4 drops will suffice first; you can add more after the 5th week. (I now use as much as I do a regular serum.)

At the beginning, my skin was sensitive and felt irritated. I got a few pimples, but nothing too crazy or noticeable: I just used a full coverage foundation, or heavy-duty concealer.

It felt extremely dry soon after: thirsty like never before. For reference, I'm usually super duper oily. I made sure not to use a very rich cream (they're usually too occlusive and therefore pore-clogging), but instead I started layering a hydrating serum and a face oil/ a nice moisturizer which I know doesn't clog my pores, like MV Oxygen Moisturizer. I did a lot of moisturizing masks, made sure to drink a lot, used mists and sprays, and stopped using oil-free foundations in favor of richer complexion products that were usually too dewy, like Cle Cosmetics CCC cream, or Zelens Youth Glow. Always use SPF- either replace the moisturizer/ oil with a good SPF Cream, apply some on top of it, or make sure your complexion product has SPF in it.

After a full month, I started appreciating the effects of this product. I now use it every other night. I wake up to a smooth, clearer, brighter complexion. I'm still a bit dry but not flakey, and never irritated. Also, I had to stop using AHAs so much, I now do around once a week on nights where I don't use the Advanced Retinoid 2%. I make sure to moisturize well on other nights, taking time to re-build my skin's barrier.

All in all, I think this is worth it. I have some discoloration that I hope will fade completely. I'll probably start using the Vit C cream from the same brand in the morning for added brightening benefits, and I'll try a more potent retinol product such as Shani Darden's when I'm finished with this.

The Ordinary is a brand under the mothership Deciem The Abnormal Beauty Company.

The Ordinary has all "things" going for it. Excellent packaging, stable active ingredients at the highest available concentrations and an excellent extremely affordable price range.

So theoretically one should expect and receive visible dramatic results. I've found many of this line's Vitamin C serums to deliver however when it comes to this particular product the Retinoid 2% I have to say it fails and does not deliver.

Perhaps it is because I have used Retinly Palmitate, Retinol(Paula's Choice) and prescription Retinoids(Retin-A) in the past and now no longer see any visible results with ingredients less intense than these more active forms of Vitamin A.

Or it could be due to the possible fact that many of the active ingredients in The Ordinary skin care range, despite being at highest legal possible concentrations in a skin care product, aren't entirely bio available. That is one of the common things I have read from top dermatologists and serious skin care enthusiasts that despite the ingredient listings looking very scientific and generous with actives they for some reason don't really deliver the results you'd expect.

It is a very strange situation and one that I've never quite been in having used some of the best active cosmeceutical skin care in the industry(PAULA'S CHOICE, RATIONALE, SYNERGIE)

I suppose it might be down to the supplier of their ingredients, they might not be getting what they think they are getting.

This ineffectiveness with a handful of their products extends to their acid peel serums 5 and 10% lactic acid etc, with the exception of the 30% peel which is marvellous that is definitely working for me and a must have.

But this having researched and discovered that the particles are too large to enter unlike Retinol etc which are better absorbed and produce faster results, that may be the very reason this product takes its time.

I have used this product every evening almost three months now and no real change has been detected. I will not be repurchasing. I would only recommend this product for those with very intolerant sensitive skin who cannot even tolerate retinyl palmitate a Vitamin A derivative just one step less intense than Retinol and see whether they receive any results.

on 10/25/2017 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have combo/oily/acne prone skin that is also sensitive.
I use this 2-3 times a week and the glow in my skin is definitely noticeable!
Acne spots are starting to fade and any slight pigmentation is barely visible. Been using for about 2-3 months now and it's amazing!
My skin does slightly peel but it is very controllable compared to retinoids Drs have prescribed me! Worth every dollar!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Well, I tried but ended up tossing. I'm not at all convinced that this particular retinol formulation is enough to produce any results on skin that is used to regular retinols (not Rx, just over the counter ). It felt nice enough but a little too moisturizing for my oily/combo skin. I think for a first time retinol user it would be a good way to ease in to retinols if your skin is sensitive or dry-ish.

on 10/6/2017 1:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

ive only used this once (i just started introducing retinol into my skincare routine) but so far i havent got any negative reaction from it whatsoever. i have a good feeling about the product coz i was afraid that my skin wasnt going to respond well to a retinol treatment but so far there has been no irritation no nothing so thats good. will continue using it for a year and see how i get on with it and update this review.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have normal/dry skin and I am 30. My skin had no major issues except it looks unhealthy, dull and uneven due to pimple marks, freckles etc. This is my first retinoid product.

I bought this together with Alpha-H Liquid gold since everybody is raving about the LG. My skin improved drastically in a few weeks with daily LG and twice a week of this product. No sensitivity, no peeling. I just looked glowing and healthy. I assumed this was due to LG because it had so many good reviews and cost three times as much as The Ordinary. It should work, right? Also, I was expecting some kind of horrible peel with my very first retinoid and it just never happened. After 3-4 weeks makeup wasn't settling on my face though, mostly whatever I put on my face just looked flakey and like above my skin, not on my skin. So I bought a daily scrub and that fixed it completely. But it has never peeled as it was described to me so I assumed the retinoid must be useless, and I should get one of the better ones.

Then I went on a month-long summer trip and left the retinoid behind because I heard sunlight and retinoids don't mix. I kept using the LG daily.

My oh my, my face looked awful when I got back. It just looked sick. So I started using it again, two weeks in and wow I'm getting so many compliments on my glowing skin.

As some other reviewers said, the texture feels like it's difficult to absorb but just put it on your face 15 minutes before you go to bed and you'll be fine. This stuff is the bomb!

on 9/27/2017 6:27:00 PM

this is wonderful for my skin. It is not harsh at all. I use it every night on my face and neck. My skin is looking better and better

on 8/27/2017 6:42:00 PM

Background: 35, normal to dry-ish skin, occasional breakouts.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this. I tried it for texture issues after using their moisturiser, and for fine lines around my eyes. For the price and percentage of retinoid, I didn't think it would make much of a difference. I was amazed how wrong I was. My skin loved it. After applying it the first night, I woke up to significant improvement in the texture of my skin. It felt and looked smoother. The colour was more even. It felt more hydrated. People commented on how well I looked. The more I used it, the smoother and more even my skin became. It also seemed to tighten my skin (being 35, the elasticity of my skin isn't the same). It won't get rid of significant wrinkles, but it has definitely improved the fine lines around my eyes.

The dropper bottle means it's easy to apply but sometimes the dropper can become clogged. I just wash it out in hot water, let it dry, and it's as good as new.

Only negative is that I suspect it is breaking me out around my chin line, but salicylic acid clears them up overnight so I'm not too bothered. They're more like blind pimples but aren't painful and are easily concealed when doing my makeup.

Definitely recommend trying it.

on 8/27/2017 7:37:00 AM

I give this product two lippies because it's a great concept and the price is right. However, I had hoped that since this was advertised as a next-gen Retinoid, it would provide a superior performance to the other retinol type products I've used in the past. All the cult products (e.g., Neutrogena Healthy Skin) have been disastrous for my skin -- I have never had acne, but retinol seems to be the one ingredient that can form (nearly immediately!) HUGE, super painful, deep cysts that wreck my skin for literally months even after I discontinue use. This was (so sadly!) no different. If you are like me and were hoping for something different, unfortunately this probably won't work for you. Such a bummer!

on 8/26/2017 11:37:00 PM

This is one of my favorite products from The Ordinary. It feels light, absorbs quickly, and doesn't irritate my skin. I've been using for about a month and use this every night. Each morning, I wake up to a smoother, more even complexion. I don't ever want to be without this.