Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.3

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This is one of the more powerful OTC retinols available. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, although I have used retinols for a while now. My 65y old mother is obsessed with this, I have to bring her shipments back to the US whenever I see her.

I have been reading a lot about this brand and I was so eager to try it. Among other products that I bought from them, I also included this one. My skin is sometimes dry, sometimes acne-prone, sometimes just dull and you can see all the motherhood and the daily stress on it. Of course, the fine lines are knocking on my door, ya know! So I bought it thinking it would give that kind of glow and to ease my transition into the world of anti aging regimens. I usually use it before I exfoliate my face with the Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% from the brand, a night before, then I apply the Retinoid 2% and I end up using the Buffet Serum.

Tbh I was expecting to see a stronger reaction of my face (flakiness and all that) but nope...I do wake up with a brighter, smoother skin and I also feel it helps with my sometimes sent from Hell acne. I find it kinda difficult to do "layering" with it, with all their products actually, but maybe it's just because I am a newbie to it :)

I find it suitable for someone who isn't that accustomed to retinoids and the price is such a great deal! I'd buy again this product but I would also like to try something more stronger.

on 8/27/2017 6:42:00 PM

Background: 35, normal to dry-ish skin, occasional breakouts.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this. I tried it for texture issues after using their moisturiser, and for fine lines around my eyes. For the price and percentage of retinoid, I didn't think it would make much of a difference. I was amazed how wrong I was. My skin loved it. After applying it the first night, I woke up to significant improvement in the texture of my skin. It felt and looked smoother. The colour was more even. It felt more hydrated. People commented on how well I looked. The more I used it, the smoother and more even my skin became. It also seemed to tighten my skin (being 35, the elasticity of my skin isn't the same). It won't get rid of significant wrinkles, but it has definitely improved the fine lines around my eyes.

The dropper bottle means it's easy to apply but sometimes the dropper can become clogged. I just wash it out in hot water, let it dry, and it's as good as new.

Only negative is that I suspect it is breaking me out around my chin line, but salicylic acid clears them up overnight so I'm not too bothered. They're more like blind pimples but aren't painful and are easily concealed when doing my makeup.

Definitely recommend trying it.

on 8/27/2017 7:37:00 AM

I give this product two lippies because it's a great concept and the price is right. However, I had hoped that since this was advertised as a next-gen Retinoid, it would provide a superior performance to the other retinol type products I've used in the past. All the cult products (e.g., Neutrogena Healthy Skin) have been disastrous for my skin -- I have never had acne, but retinol seems to be the one ingredient that can form (nearly immediately!) HUGE, super painful, deep cysts that wreck my skin for literally months even after I discontinue use. This was (so sadly!) no different. If you are like me and were hoping for something different, unfortunately this probably won't work for you. Such a bummer!

on 8/26/2017 11:37:00 PM

This is one of my favorite products from The Ordinary. It feels light, absorbs quickly, and doesn't irritate my skin. I've been using for about a month and use this every night. Each morning, I wake up to a smoother, more even complexion. I don't ever want to be without this.

on 8/23/2017 12:43:00 PM

I've been using this for about a month now, I started off with every other night use and now I apply it every night as I haven't found it harsh on my skin like I though I would, it's really affordable and for the first time in forever I'm not paranoid going out of the house without putting on foundation, its given my skin a nice glow and faded away red acne patches I had around my chin :) definitely going to give some of the other ordinary products a try

on 7/26/2017 1:24:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Sad face from the Ordinary 2% Retinoid. It has caused a bit of havoc on my face (havoc for me as I don't have skin issues) Had hoped to use this for fine lines. Surprised as it sounded like this would be a super star based on all the other reviews. Three Big raised pimples appeared after using it. I have never had any skin issues with pimples or acne. One or two pimples around that time of month. So was shocked at what happened. The pimples are large and deep. Oddly they do not hurt. I stopped using it to see if the Retinoid was the culprit. I had used a strong AHA/BHA Mask prior to staring the Retinoid so was not sure what caused the breakout. I took an antibiotic for a few days along with a steroid and my face cleared. I used it again ONE time and wham a giant pimple appeared! It is trying to heal right now. Very upsetting. Could my skin be purging? I plan to get in to see a Dermatologist. Hope others have better results with the product. Again, sad face as I did like it a first.

on 7/22/2017 11:42:00 PM

I have uneven skin tone and some recurring acne and bumps on my cheeks (which I think is hormonal and cystic but nothing major that warrants a trip to the dermatologist). I started using the retinoid three weeks ago and I must say that my skin texture has smoothened and overall a brighter complexion. My blemishes are lighter than before and it seemed to be keeping any new spots or acne from popping up.

I can't wait to try something stronger from The Ordinary!

PS: This is my first time using a retinoid/retinol product so I started using it on alternate nights for about three days before using it nightly. I don't have any side effects or "purging" or dried out skin after usage. (I use La Roche Posay Toleriane Fluide moisturizer for sensitive skin)

on 7/16/2017 10:59:00 PM

I have used 1% trentinoin in the past and my skin went crazy for about a month afterwards just gettinf used to it/purging. with this formula from The Ordinary, there is none of that purging. My skin didn't break out but it just worked to create smooth skin right from the first use. 2 drops is enough to cover my entire face. There is no smell and it is a milky formula that glides on easily. I have been using this for a month and a half. These usually take a while longer to see more dramatic results. But so far my skin has smoothed out and some shallow lines have softened out.

This is a great product and I highly recommend it. It delivers great results just after few uses and after 2 weeks I can see my skin improved a lot.