Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.4

on 6/14/2018 7:09:00 PM

I've just finished my bottle of this. I used it every 4th night and applied moisturiser and oil over the top of it. I have dry aging skin with a lot of sun damage. I have wrinkles.

This didn't magically make my wrinkles disappear or cause me to wake up one morning looking like a 20 year old.

It feels nice on the skin, it doesn't upset my skin, it doesn't dry out my skin. It didn't cause break outs or irritation or any other issues and its cheap.

I added retinoids to my skincare routine a year ago as i had noticed my skin was dull and had a lot of texture on my cheek bones. At the time I added a retinoid product (LRP), the lactic acid from The Ordinary and Vitamin C products. Over the past 12 months I've noticed an improvement in my skin, the texture slowly sloughed away and my skin became brighter and softer. I have gone from using heavier foundations to cover up non healthy looking skin to using sheer coverage because I'm happy with how healthy my skin looks. I still have discolouration from years of living outdoors in the sun, but overall my skin looks so much nicer. I attribute those positive changes to adding retinoids along with a gentle AHA and vitamin C into my skincare routine. I will continue to use retinoid products, especially affordable ones such as this one.

on 5/13/2018 5:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have used prescription retinoids in the past and I found that they worked fine on the oilier parts of my skin by wreaked havoc on any drier areas. I don't have any wrinkles or fine lines yet so I decided to take a step back and start with retinol. I always had a hard time securing a retinol product I liked because they were so expensive. I could not fathom paying more money for a product that was weaker than prescription strength Retin A. I was really glad when The Ordinary introduced their retinol products. The Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum works very well. I did not experience any irritation. The formula went on nicely and absorbs quickly. After weeks I could definitely see that my skin was clearer and more even. By the time I finished the bottle I was hooked. I wish the formula included some other antioxidants or ceramides but it is excellent value and it works.

on 5/10/2018 12:09:00 AM

This diffinitely beats out the Neutrogena antiwrinkle creams I've used in the past. It's so light and easily absorbed, I love it! It doesn't irritate my skin, but between this and the ordinary's vitamin c serum every morning, my skin has never looked or felt better. If you've tried retinol creams before and didn't like them, I encourage you to try this out. Plus, the price is HALF of what I used to pay for Neutrogena.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I've been using it for 2 weeks daily (yet my skin isn't irritated) and I feel ready to write a review because I'm seeing results already!! It retails for 6£ and is probably the cheapest retinoid product in the market especially with such high potency. I really love this, my skin feels glowy and even toned. My light scarring and discoloration are slowly fading away. I wake up in the morning with a much smoother and fresher complexion. I keep my skincare routine very minimal, I use a face wash and toner daily, exfoliate 3 times a week, apply this serum daily and add a moisturizer on top, that is all. TO is making a huge difference on my skin texture. I've tried other Retinol products such as the much raved about LRP Redermic R who had zero results on me and even irritated my skin (check my full review) so I'm happy I found TO which actually works and is 5 times cheaper. I've ordered a 2nd bottle.

on 3/22/2018 10:44:00 AM

I don't know why but it works. My skin has not been happy with the majority of The Ordinary's products: they break me out and I find them difficult to apply - they either make my skin uncomfortably sticky, form a film on my skin or just peel off. This product has been a pleasant surprise. I use it at night, after cleansing and toning. I usually don't put anything on top or use some light oil if my skin is flaky. It really helps me to calm any inflammations and heal up my acne. I am not sure if it's retinol or any other ingredient in the formula, but it works and significantly improves overall skin texture. I hope they don't reformulate it.

on 3/15/2018 3:15:00 PM

I think this retinoid is largely responsible for my quickly clearing skin. My acne started from a combination of taking and stopping birth control pills and eating too many nuts and nut butters (nuts are very high in omega 6 fatty acids, which cause internal inflammation). I would keep getting 3-4 new pimples everyday for the past two years.

I started with my internal problems: First I completely quit birth control pills and nuts about two months ago; Second, I started taking Pantothenic Acid supplements (vitamin B5) with every meal. Then I changed my topical products. I've been using this product for about one month now, along with these products:

Morning:
Clindamycin phosphate gel (prescription)
Neutrogena On the Spot 2.5 % benzoyl peroxide

Evening:
Clindamycin phosphate gel
The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2%

These products are clarifying and smoothing my bumpy cheeks and forehead. At first, I used this retinoid only 2x a week and gradually built up to 5-6 times per week. I skip this on the days I use glycolic acid products (Herbivore Blue Tansy Resurfacing Mask or CosRx AHA 7 Whitehead Power Liquid). Three drops of the milky serum covers my entire face after toning and left slightly damp. It leaves my skin dewy and balanced, even if I don't layer moisturizer on top. In the morning, my face looks 50% more glow-y and smoother than the night before.

My skin isn't perfect because I have hyperpigmentation from healing acne, but now my face is smoother and almost bump free. I can live with that! Now I can just wear concealer to work and skip a full face of make up on casual days.

on 2/15/2018 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I tried Retin a once and it made my skin burn and peel, I’m scared to use it again because it made me breakout as well. I tried this retinoid 3 nights in a row and didn’t have any peeling or burning and my skin did feel smoother and looked more even.
This is an amazing product for the price (around 10.00 cdn) considering most retinol products are at least three times the cost. I love the sleek packaging and will continuing using considering it has improved my skin in such a short time.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This is one of the more powerful OTC retinols available. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, although I have used retinols for a while now. My 65y old mother is obsessed with this, I have to bring her shipments back to the US whenever I see her.

I have been reading a lot about this brand and I was so eager to try it. Among other products that I bought from them, I also included this one. My skin is sometimes dry, sometimes acne-prone, sometimes just dull and you can see all the motherhood and the daily stress on it. Of course, the fine lines are knocking on my door, ya know! So I bought it thinking it would give that kind of glow and to ease my transition into the world of anti aging regimens. I usually use it before I exfoliate my face with the Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% from the brand, a night before, then I apply the Retinoid 2% and I end up using the Buffet Serum.

Tbh I was expecting to see a stronger reaction of my face (flakiness and all that) but nope...I do wake up with a brighter, smoother skin and I also feel it helps with my sometimes sent from Hell acne. I find it kinda difficult to do "layering" with it, with all their products actually, but maybe it's just because I am a newbie to it :)

I find it suitable for someone who isn't that accustomed to retinoids and the price is such a great deal! I'd buy again this product but I would also like to try something more stronger.

on 8/27/2017 6:42:00 PM

Background: 35, normal to dry-ish skin, occasional breakouts.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about this. I tried it for texture issues after using their moisturiser, and for fine lines around my eyes. For the price and percentage of retinoid, I didn't think it would make much of a difference. I was amazed how wrong I was. My skin loved it. After applying it the first night, I woke up to significant improvement in the texture of my skin. It felt and looked smoother. The colour was more even. It felt more hydrated. People commented on how well I looked. The more I used it, the smoother and more even my skin became. It also seemed to tighten my skin (being 35, the elasticity of my skin isn't the same). It won't get rid of significant wrinkles, but it has definitely improved the fine lines around my eyes.

The dropper bottle means it's easy to apply but sometimes the dropper can become clogged. I just wash it out in hot water, let it dry, and it's as good as new.

Only negative is that I suspect it is breaking me out around my chin line, but salicylic acid clears them up overnight so I'm not too bothered. They're more like blind pimples but aren't painful and are easily concealed when doing my makeup.

Definitely recommend trying it.