Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

3.8

The Ordinary is a brand under the mothership Deciem The Abnormal Beauty Company.

The Ordinary has all "things" going for it. Excellent packaging, stable active ingredients at the highest available concentrations and an excellent extremely affordable price range.

So theoretically one should expect and receive visible dramatic results. I've found many of this line's Vitamin C serums to deliver however when it comes to this particular product the Retinoid 2% I have to say it fails and does not deliver.

Perhaps it is because I have used Retinly Palmitate, Retinol(Paula's Choice) and prescription Retinoids(Retin-A) in the past and now no longer see any visible results with ingredients less intense than these more active forms of Vitamin A.

Or it could be due to the possible fact that many of the active ingredients in The Ordinary skin care range, despite being at highest legal possible concentrations in a skin care product, aren't entirely bio available. That is one of the common things I have read from top dermatologists and serious skin care enthusiasts that despite the ingredient listings looking very scientific and generous with actives they for some reason don't really deliver the results you'd expect.

It is a very strange situation and one that I've never quite been in having used some of the best active cosmeceutical skin care in the industry(PAULA'S CHOICE, RATIONALE, SYNERGIE)

I suppose it might be down to the supplier of their ingredients, they might not be getting what they think they are getting.

This ineffectiveness with a handful of their products extends to their acid peel serums 5 and 10% lactic acid etc, with the exception of the 30% peel which is marvellous that is definitely working for me and a must have.

But this having researched and discovered that the particles are too large to enter unlike Retinol etc which are better absorbed and produce faster results, that may be the very reason this product takes its time.

I have used this product every evening almost three months now and no real change has been detected. I will not be repurchasing. I would only recommend this product for those with very intolerant sensitive skin who cannot even tolerate retinyl palmitate a Vitamin A derivative just one step less intense than Retinol and see whether they receive any results.

on 6/21/2017 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

So good, non-irritating, and very well priced!

on 5/8/2017 8:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

As someone who hasn't really given any thought to skincare before, I have bought only the occasional oil or moisturiser. My main concern was always the eye area (hollowed, dark circles, so much fun overall). BUT I found myself turning 30 and reading on Korean Skincare about how Koreans like to start their skincare regimes early on, like 14 or so and I was mortified. And as someone who always tries to be as thrifty as possible, I started researching affordable anti-aging choices to get me started, even though I was late to the skincare party. Now, I have to say that I consider my skin (apart from the eye area) fairly good, with the occasional spot and somewhat visible pores but that's about it. My extensive internet research guided me to retinols and in turn that led me to the Advanced Retinoid 2%.
This is the first time I've applied anything retinol related to my skin. I apply it all over, including the area under the eyes, as I've read that it can help with the hollows. I have been using this for the past month and I have to say that my skin is visibly smoother and actually softer in the morning, but that's about it. No change yet under the eyes. I have had some scaling, mostly around the mouth. I like its consistency - it's white and has a serum-like feel, though on the heavier side -and I find it easy to spread and quick to absorb. Will continue to use in hopes of staving the lines and wrinkles off a little bit longer.

OK. so I recently purchased a few items from this line. I was already using the 1% retinol and had no issues with it, so why not go a bit harder with the 2%? Anyway, this comes in a dropper bottle and the consistency and colour is like milk. It really reminds me of a product I used to use called Synergie A+ serum in feel and texture on the skin. I placed a few drops on my palm and then dotted this over my clean skin. The first thing I noticed was how quickly it dries on the skin. 3 drops did my entire face, but once you have rubbed it in, it completely absorbs. I followed up with The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factor. On initial application, I had absolutely no adverse reaction. The following morning, my skin felt completely normal and there were no reactions over night. My skin is very clear, but I am 51, so anti ageing is my ultimate goal with skincare. I am seriously impressed with this range so far. The only product that I haven't liked is the Caffeine Eye solution.