Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.9

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have normal/dry skin and I am 30. My skin had no major issues except it looks unhealthy, dull and uneven due to pimple marks, freckles etc. This is my first retinoid product.

I bought this together with Alpha-H Liquid gold since everybody is raving about the LG. My skin improved drastically in a few weeks with daily LG and twice a week of this product. No sensitivity, no peeling. I just looked glowing and healthy. I assumed this was due to LG because it had so many good reviews and cost three times as much as The Ordinary. It should work, right? Also, I was expecting some kind of horrible peel with my very first retinoid and it just never happened. After 3-4 weeks makeup wasn't settling on my face though, mostly whatever I put on my face just looked flakey and like above my skin, not on my skin. So I bought a daily scrub and that fixed it completely. But it has never peeled as it was described to me so I assumed the retinoid must be useless, and I should get one of the better ones.

Then I went on a month-long summer trip and left the retinoid behind because I heard sunlight and retinoids don't mix. I kept using the LG daily.

My oh my, my face looked awful when I got back. It just looked sick. So I started using it again, two weeks in and wow I'm getting so many compliments on my glowing skin.

As some other reviewers said, the texture feels like it's difficult to absorb but just put it on your face 15 minutes before you go to bed and you'll be fine. This stuff is the bomb!

on 9/27/2017 6:27:00 PM

this is wonderful for my skin. It is not harsh at all. I use it every night on my face and neck. My skin is looking better and better

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This has worked miracles on my skin! After one use, I noticed my acne was much less angry, my skin was smoother, and I had a glow.
After weeks of use, my skin is much brighter and I barely break out anymore! It is gentle enough on my skin that I haven't had any redness, peeling or irritation. Other retinols I have used in the past have caused sensitivity and flaking, bit this one is just so soothing. This even fixed spots/blackheads/texture that even my trusty Paula's Choice BHA and AHA gels can't rid!
My nightly routine is cleanse, BHA, AHA, this retinoid, moisturiser with a couple of drops of the Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid and then let it absorb before bed. My skin hasn't looked better!
I am 32, have dry skin and starting to get forehead and undereye lines. Hopefully the retinol slows this process!

on 8/13/2017 2:39:00 PM

Retinol isn't an exfoliant per se, but its ability to turn over skin cells could be said to have an exfoliating-like effect.

And while it may give you peeling and flaking skin, its’ actions are different than a topical AHA or BHA chemical exfoliant.

AHA’s and BHA’s work by “un-glueing” the bonds that keep dead skin cells attached to the surface of the uppermost layer of our skin.

Vitamin A (retinols/retinoids) function very differently.
They get to work at a much deeper level to increase cell turnover, and push up new skin cells to the surface at a faster rate. What's happening biologically is “retinol binds to DNA, and immediately begins directing the skin's proteins and enzymes to do certain things - the first of which is to cast off the piled-up dead cells from your skin's surface. Normalizing that top layer causes some water loss initially, which can make skin seem drier and more irritable," and flake as old cells are cast off and new cells are pushed up.

It's the difference between applying a weed killer to your lawn which makes it initially look better when the weeds are gone, to applying a fertiliser which makes it look better because there's lots of new growth underneath.

A weed killer and a fertiliser are two different things.
As with this.
It's a different mechanism of action.

on 7/27/2017 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Fantastic product! I use 2 times a week at night time and next morning my skin feels bright and soft. For the price, it is a winner.

This worked wonders for my skin, dealt with my spots perfectly.

on 7/8/2017 4:25:00 PM

Deciem/The Ordinary currently offer 2 retinol products (the 1% Retinol Emulsion and this one - the Advanced Retinoid 2%). The 1% is actually the stronger of the two because of the difference in ingredients (retinol vs retinoid).

I found perhaps the best review I've ever read of all The Ordinary’s products on a U.K. website called Victoria Health (https://www.victoriahealth.com/editorial/the-ordinary-the-definitive-review-1).

And in their words:
“There is a big difference between a retinoid and retinol, which is why the [2%] product is more gentle than the [1%] retinol despite being double the strength.
Retinoid esters (like those in the 2% product) are structurally larger, so they take longer to be absorbed into the skin, which is what makes the ingredient so non-irritating”.

Most prescription retinols come in roughly these strengths (in order of potency);

0.01%, 0.025%, 0.050% and finally the 0.1% (or 1%).

So The Ordinary’s 1% product is equivalent (in retinol strength) to the strongest of the RetinA’s, therefore if you haven't used retinols before, bear in mind you're jumping in at the very deepest end with that one, and will more than likely be flaky, peeling, red and inflamed for the best part of a week. With retinols you have to work up SLOWLY (some dermatologists advise 3-4 months on each strength).

If you're new to retinols or want something a little less aggressive this 2% is very effective but still gentle and non-irritating.

To the product itself - it's a milky fluid easily added to other products, or used alone. I use it either undiluted as a first layer, or sometimes will add 3-4 drops mixed in with my moisturiser, three or four times a week. Used either way (for me anyway) it's very gentle and I experienced no shedding, flaking or peeling whatsoever.

The Ordinary state that their 2% Advanced Retinoid is superior and less irritating than the 1%, saying:

“The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% contains two actives [and] offers a multi-fold better effect against signs of ageing than retinol, retinyl palmitate and nearly all other forms of non-prescription retinoid. Both forms of retinoid used [in the 2%] avoid the irritation associated with retinol use while delivering better visible results”.

I’ve had a very basic Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturiser sitting in the cupboard for a year that I've never liked that much. It was always too thick (though that's probably not a bad thing for winter). In trying to use it up I added some warm water and a good shake to wash down the product from inside the bottle (which vastly improved its consistency). But adding just 3-4 drops of Advanced Retinoid to it prior to each use not only gives it some muscle, but turns it into THE creamiest, most easily absorbed, beautiful and nourishing lotion (that I'm almost tempted to buy another bottle because they mix so perfectly).
This is where The Ordinary products really shine and come into their own. They “power up” other more basic formulations.

So now having used both of The Ordinary’s retinol products, it would appear (from my own experience) that the 2% is less irritating and I had no shedding at all with that product, and it's gentle enough to use every second day.
The 1% caused a full shedding 48 hours later (which is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as I know it's coming. It just takes 3 or 4 more days to resolve itself which can be a bit of a pain). Other than that I like the idea of having a simple product on hand that can initiate a mini at-home peel when I feel my skin is in need of it, so I'll keep and continue to use both.

PS:
Retinoids will make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so they should only be used at night (& obviously use SPF during the day). But there's also some evidence that retinoids break down and turn toxic in sunlight (hence the dark bottles) and another reason why their use should be restricted to nighttime only.

I am just now starting this line and I am very impressed. I like Paula's Choice products, but they can run pricey, even with the 20% off sales. The reviews on her site are not favorable, but she has a lot to lose.

I personally love the idea of customizing my own skin care line. I don't mind mixing several serums together to make a cocktail that works for me. I purchased 6 items and the net cost of all six were still LESS than some of my most expensive serums.

The company has a great philosophy and great products that WORK and do not kill your wallet.

This retinol is great. My skin did not react adversely and looks great. Retinol is an important part of any skincare regimen. I have read some reviews that the 1% is somehow more potent (which I don't understand), so next time I will try it instead since I've been a retinol user for years. I do not use prescription Retin-A as I do not like the red faced peely look that accompany its use. This does not cause any irritation on my skin. Highly recommend.

on 6/3/2017 5:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This serum is absolutely brilliant for my skin. I'm used to retin A a couple of times a week and have no sensitivity issues. I wanted to keep up my retinoid during the week but without necessarily resorting to strong retinol as I'm not totally convinced that aggressive products are good in the long run for my skin.
I've used this serum for about two months now and I love how it leaves my skin. Fresh, peachy, even toned. I never fail to notice how the general tone of my skin looks rested and even in the morning. I also apply it around my eyes as a treatment at night and never had any problem. I apply this serum and after about 30 minutes I top it up with an oil or hyaluronic acid and moisturizer.
I love most Ordinary products but this is really my favourite. Needless to say I'll keep repurchasing it.

on 3/30/2017 5:55:00 PM

The price is amazing, of course, and the ingredients are stellar. I use the 2% (y'all, reviews have titles, review the product in the title or create a new review, for real) every other night at maximum, about 4-5 drops. No burning. It's well known that overdoing retinol will give you side effects, so if this gives you side effects because you used too much... that's because it works. Just saying. The retinol 1 % is a different product altogether and the retinoid 2% says right in the description of the product that it is next-gen, more advanced and less irritating than retinol 1%. Quote from Deciem: 'Advanced Retinoid 2% achieves better visible anti-ageing results than Retinol 1% with less irritation...'
Ingredients don't lie!