Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.9

on 4/27/2018 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Eyyyy, Deciem is really on their game with bringing affordable, high-performance products to the game!

I didn't know TO had a huge cult following behind it when I bought this, I really bought it for the retinol concentration. Retinol has literally performed miracles on my skin, I used to have deep acne scarring that I thought I couldn't get rid of from my life! My skin is prone to discoloration, scarring, etc. Recently the texture of my skin had been getting bumpy, so I pulled this out and tried it.

It comes in a tinted glass bottle with a dropper, and it's really thin and serum-y. This is very unlike other retinols I've used which were usually thick creams or lotions. It dries to a sticky, tacky film that has a bit of shine. I recommend applying it before you go to sleep so you wake up to bright, even toned skin! For less than $10, this is probably the most affordable way of getting the results of a visit to the aesthetician at home!

Was having problematic skin and didn’t know what product to turn to. This is coming from someone who had the clearest of skins. People used to come up close to check my face as to how clear it was. I used to wear minimal make up too. A few years down the line, I noticed my skin started to look off. It was dull and I somehow developed these small under skin bumps. No idea where they came from. It covered well with make up, however, it just wasn’t good enough for me. I had to look into different skin care products to get rid of these bumps. I did a chemical peel and that helped somewhat. But not enough. I changed my skin care routine completely. I decided to try a few The Ordinary products. They were reasonably priced so I didn’t have much to lose. I purchased the Retinol, AHA peel and the Buffet. AHA I do every 10 days as it will be too harsh to use frequently as it’s an exfoliant. I also purchased a hyaluronic acid serum from another brand which I use everyday. All of these products seems to have helped my skin look more alive and glowy. Bumps have gone and I can feel my complexion getting better every day. Finally I found a few products that’s working and getting my good skin back! I read another review in regards to Retinol thinning the skin down the line. Decided to skip the Retinol every night and use it once or twice a week. I also use Vitamin E oil on top of my Hyaluronic acid serum. They all seem to work wonders on skin. Will continue to use the Retinol but not every night. I always use SPF50 but apparently, it’s just not enough to prevent skin damage when using Retinol. I don’t really want to wear a hat everyday either. Loving The Ordinary range.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

It has changed my skin, evening out the discoloration. Nothing beats retinol! The Ordinary sells Retinol 2%. That has made the most impact on my skin feeling smoother, and definitely and quickly decreasing freckles, discoloration, and hyperpigmentation. It's done this in two weeks, but I am able to use it nightly. Can't recommend enough! The bottle with the dropper works great. Looks great with all my face oils (I buy jojoba, sweet almond, and especially argan oil from Amazon for a steal). The dark bottle protects the ingredients from oxidizing. Many, many products at ten times the price have not had the impact that this does at $10. I have sensitive skin, and even I can use it every night (because of the squalene in it probably).

FavoriteIs this review helpful? YesNo

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have normal/dry skin and I am 30. My skin had no major issues except it looks unhealthy, dull and uneven due to pimple marks, freckles etc. This is my first retinoid product.

I bought this together with Alpha-H Liquid gold since everybody is raving about the LG. My skin improved drastically in a few weeks with daily LG and twice a week of this product. No sensitivity, no peeling. I just looked glowing and healthy. I assumed this was due to LG because it had so many good reviews and cost three times as much as The Ordinary. It should work, right? Also, I was expecting some kind of horrible peel with my very first retinoid and it just never happened. After 3-4 weeks makeup wasn't settling on my face though, mostly whatever I put on my face just looked flakey and like above my skin, not on my skin. So I bought a daily scrub and that fixed it completely. But it has never peeled as it was described to me so I assumed the retinoid must be useless, and I should get one of the better ones.

Then I went on a month-long summer trip and left the retinoid behind because I heard sunlight and retinoids don't mix. I kept using the LG daily.

My oh my, my face looked awful when I got back. It just looked sick. So I started using it again, two weeks in and wow I'm getting so many compliments on my glowing skin.

As some other reviewers said, the texture feels like it's difficult to absorb but just put it on your face 15 minutes before you go to bed and you'll be fine. This stuff is the bomb!

on 9/27/2017 6:27:00 PM

this is wonderful for my skin. It is not harsh at all. I use it every night on my face and neck. My skin is looking better and better

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

This has worked miracles on my skin! After one use, I noticed my acne was much less angry, my skin was smoother, and I had a glow.
After weeks of use, my skin is much brighter and I barely break out anymore! It is gentle enough on my skin that I haven't had any redness, peeling or irritation. Other retinols I have used in the past have caused sensitivity and flaking, bit this one is just so soothing. This even fixed spots/blackheads/texture that even my trusty Paula's Choice BHA and AHA gels can't rid!
My nightly routine is cleanse, BHA, AHA, this retinoid, moisturiser with a couple of drops of the Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid and then let it absorb before bed. My skin hasn't looked better!
I am 32, have dry skin and starting to get forehead and undereye lines. Hopefully the retinol slows this process!

on 8/13/2017 2:39:00 PM

Retinol isn't an exfoliant per se, but its ability to turn over skin cells could be said to have an exfoliating-like effect.

And while it may give you peeling and flaking skin, its’ actions are different than a topical AHA or BHA chemical exfoliant.

AHA’s and BHA’s work by “un-glueing” the bonds that keep dead skin cells attached to the surface of the uppermost layer of our skin.

Vitamin A (retinols/retinoids) function very differently.
They get to work at a much deeper level to increase cell turnover, and push up new skin cells to the surface at a faster rate. What's happening biologically is “retinol binds to DNA, and immediately begins directing the skin's proteins and enzymes to do certain things - the first of which is to cast off the piled-up dead cells from your skin's surface. Normalizing that top layer causes some water loss initially, which can make skin seem drier and more irritable," and flake as old cells are cast off and new cells are pushed up.

It's the difference between applying a weed killer to your lawn which makes it initially look better when the weeds are gone, to applying a fertiliser which makes it look better because there's lots of new growth underneath.

A weed killer and a fertiliser are two different things.
As with this.
It's a different mechanism of action.

on 7/27/2017 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Fantastic product! I use 2 times a week at night time and next morning my skin feels bright and soft. For the price, it is a winner.

This worked wonders for my skin, dealt with my spots perfectly.

on 7/8/2017 4:25:00 PM

Deciem/The Ordinary currently offer 2 retinol products (the 1% Retinol Emulsion and this one - the Advanced Retinoid 2%). The 1% is actually the stronger of the two because of the difference in ingredients (retinol vs retinoid).

I found perhaps the best review I've ever read of all The Ordinary’s products on a U.K. website called Victoria Health (https://www.victoriahealth.com/editorial/the-ordinary-the-definitive-review-1).

And in their words:
“There is a big difference between a retinoid and retinol, which is why the [2%] product is more gentle than the [1%] retinol despite being double the strength.
Retinoid esters (like those in the 2% product) are structurally larger, so they take longer to be absorbed into the skin, which is what makes the ingredient so non-irritating”.

Most prescription retinols come in roughly these strengths (in order of potency);

0.01%, 0.025%, 0.050% and finally the 0.1% (or 1%).

So The Ordinary’s 1% product is equivalent (in retinol strength) to the strongest of the RetinA’s, therefore if you haven't used retinols before, bear in mind you're jumping in at the very deepest end with that one, and will more than likely be flaky, peeling, red and inflamed for the best part of a week. With retinols you have to work up SLOWLY (some dermatologists advise 3-4 months on each strength).

If you're new to retinols or want something a little less aggressive this 2% is very effective but still gentle and non-irritating.

To the product itself - it's a milky fluid easily added to other products, or used alone. I use it either undiluted as a first layer, or sometimes will add 3-4 drops mixed in with my moisturiser, three or four times a week. Used either way (for me anyway) it's very gentle and I experienced no shedding, flaking or peeling whatsoever.

The Ordinary state that their 2% Advanced Retinoid is superior and less irritating than the 1%, saying:

“The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2% contains two actives [and] offers a multi-fold better effect against signs of ageing than retinol, retinyl palmitate and nearly all other forms of non-prescription retinoid. Both forms of retinoid used [in the 2%] avoid the irritation associated with retinol use while delivering better visible results”.

I’ve had a very basic Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturiser sitting in the cupboard for a year that I've never liked that much. It was always too thick (though that's probably not a bad thing for winter). In trying to use it up I added some warm water and a good shake to wash down the product from inside the bottle (which vastly improved its consistency). But adding just 3-4 drops of Advanced Retinoid to it prior to each use not only gives it some muscle, but turns it into THE creamiest, most easily absorbed, beautiful and nourishing lotion (that I'm almost tempted to buy another bottle because they mix so perfectly).
This is where The Ordinary products really shine and come into their own. They “power up” other more basic formulations.

So now having used both of The Ordinary’s retinol products, it would appear (from my own experience) that the 2% is less irritating and I had no shedding at all with that product, and it's gentle enough to use every second day.
The 1% caused a full shedding 48 hours later (which is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as I know it's coming. It just takes 3 or 4 more days to resolve itself which can be a bit of a pain). Other than that I like the idea of having a simple product on hand that can initiate a mini at-home peel when I feel my skin is in need of it, so I'll keep and continue to use both.

PS:
Retinoids will make your skin more sensitive to the sun, so they should only be used at night (& obviously use SPF during the day). But there's also some evidence that retinoids break down and turn toxic in sunlight (hence the dark bottles) and another reason why their use should be restricted to nighttime only.