Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

on 11/24/2017 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It is my first retinoid. I started every other night and I realised that's way too much. My face starting breaking out like crazy and I thought it was just the "purging phase" but after some research (read: googling) I toned down the regimen to once a week for a month and recently I just increased the frequency to 2x a week.

I think this product is really helpful? It helps with the existing acne scars/redness from previous acne. Though it does cause me to break out at places I don't normally have breakouts, which is my jawline.

Although it smells a little funky, it absorbs really fast (this seems to be common with all The Ordinary products) which is great.

on 11/21/2017 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I have used the Verso n 4 serum, which is also a serum with this new type of retinol but this comes with a remarkable lower price and I think this works even better than Verso. The only minus (as with all TO products) is that is easy to overdose. I also feel you need a higher amount of product when applying compared to Verso. But this will be my go to Retinol from now on.

on 10/31/2017 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

There really isn't any reason not to try this.

on 10/22/2017 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I love the way my skin feels the morning after I apply it. I get absolutely no irritation, even under the eyes, unless I use it every day.

I am not seeing a DRAMATIC difference in my skin, but it might be because I already use a lot of actives. Maybe I should get the 5% strength.
I doubt any of them will actually improve my acne scarring (mild ice pick), but it does help with healing fresh pimples.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Well, I tried but ended up tossing. I'm not at all convinced that this particular retinol formulation is enough to produce any results on skin that is used to regular retinols (not Rx, just over the counter ). It felt nice enough but a little too moisturizing for my oily/combo skin. I think for a first time retinol user it would be a good way to ease in to retinols if your skin is sensitive or dry-ish.

on 10/10/2017 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I really wanted to like this, I admire The Ordinary brand and their efforts to simplify skincare choices at a great price point. BUT, this has done nothing for my skin except dry it out, even with moisturiser and oil on top, and using only every other night - I always had flaky skin around my nose which would only come off with manual exfoliation. I used to use Paula's Choice 1% retinol, with minimal irritation so I don't think it was a acclimation issue. The lines on my face have gotten worse (granted, this has been a very stressful year for me), so after persevering through a bottle and a half of this, I'm switching to a more emollient retinol product.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This is one of the more powerful OTC retinols available. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, although I have used retinols for a while now. My 65y old mother is obsessed with this, I have to bring her shipments back to the US whenever I see her.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is a great retinol product especially for the price! Would definitely buy again :)
My skin type: sensitive, dehydrated & extremely prone to acne and clogged pores

Pros:
- didn't break me out (didn't even experience purging which is normal for retinol products)
- great texture similar to that of a thin moisturizer/ emulsion
- did not make my skin drier or cause any flakiness/ dry patches, which I used to get from prescription retinol
- good stable packaging

Cons:
- effects aren't as fast/ extreme as prescription retinol

Edit: changed from 4 to 3 lippies,as I've realized this (and other retinol products) makes my textured skin and pitted scars look even more obvious :(

on 8/23/2017 12:43:00 PM

I've been using this for about a month now, I started off with every other night use and now I apply it every night as I haven't found it harsh on my skin like I though I would, it's really affordable and for the first time in forever I'm not paranoid going out of the house without putting on foundation, its given my skin a nice glow and faded away red acne patches I had around my chin :) definitely going to give some of the other ordinary products a try

on 8/13/2017 2:39:00 PM

Retinol isn't an exfoliant per se, but its ability to turn over skin cells could be said to have an exfoliating-like effect.

And while it may give you peeling and flaking skin, its’ actions are different than a topical AHA or BHA chemical exfoliant.

AHA’s and BHA’s work by “un-glueing” the bonds that keep dead skin cells attached to the surface of the uppermost layer of our skin.

Vitamin A (retinols/retinoids) function very differently.
They get to work at a much deeper level to increase cell turnover, and push up new skin cells to the surface at a faster rate. What's happening biologically is “retinol binds to DNA, and immediately begins directing the skin's proteins and enzymes to do certain things - the first of which is to cast off the piled-up dead cells from your skin's surface. Normalizing that top layer causes some water loss initially, which can make skin seem drier and more irritable," and flake as old cells are cast off and new cells are pushed up.

It's the difference between applying a weed killer to your lawn which makes it initially look better when the weeds are gone, to applying a fertiliser which makes it look better because there's lots of new growth underneath.

A weed killer and a fertiliser are two different things.
As with this.
It's a different mechanism of action.