Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

on 6/14/2018 7:09:00 PM

I've just finished my bottle of this. I used it every 4th night and applied moisturiser and oil over the top of it. I have dry aging skin with a lot of sun damage. I have wrinkles.

This didn't magically make my wrinkles disappear or cause me to wake up one morning looking like a 20 year old.

It feels nice on the skin, it doesn't upset my skin, it doesn't dry out my skin. It didn't cause break outs or irritation or any other issues and its cheap.

I added retinoids to my skincare routine a year ago as i had noticed my skin was dull and had a lot of texture on my cheek bones. At the time I added a retinoid product (LRP), the lactic acid from The Ordinary and Vitamin C products. Over the past 12 months I've noticed an improvement in my skin, the texture slowly sloughed away and my skin became brighter and softer. I have gone from using heavier foundations to cover up non healthy looking skin to using sheer coverage because I'm happy with how healthy my skin looks. I still have discolouration from years of living outdoors in the sun, but overall my skin looks so much nicer. I attribute those positive changes to adding retinoids along with a gentle AHA and vitamin C into my skincare routine. I will continue to use retinoid products, especially affordable ones such as this one.

on 4/27/2018 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Eyyyy, Deciem is really on their game with bringing affordable, high-performance products to the game!

I didn't know TO had a huge cult following behind it when I bought this, I really bought it for the retinol concentration. Retinol has literally performed miracles on my skin, I used to have deep acne scarring that I thought I couldn't get rid of from my life! My skin is prone to discoloration, scarring, etc. Recently the texture of my skin had been getting bumpy, so I pulled this out and tried it.

It comes in a tinted glass bottle with a dropper, and it's really thin and serum-y. This is very unlike other retinols I've used which were usually thick creams or lotions. It dries to a sticky, tacky film that has a bit of shine. I recommend applying it before you go to sleep so you wake up to bright, even toned skin! For less than $10, this is probably the most affordable way of getting the results of a visit to the aesthetician at home!

I was loving retinol for years, swearing by it and even had it prescribed before it became a thing.

Only used it at night, had it build up to a stronger percentage slowly etc.

After 7 years use I started to get thinner skin. Like a lot thinner. So I contacted a (well known, very expensive) doctor who specializes in skin (not a mere dermatologist). He told me it’s a normal, should be expected, side effect of retinols and what might also have happened is the sun. Even tough I only ever wore retinols at night and wore spf 50 in the day, every day, it was not enough. He told me most girls today wear too many acids, not knowing how much might hide in all their different products, and that almost no one knows your skin gets “raw” for approx 4 days after applying retinol.

So what should be helping against wrinkles might actually cause more down the line, unless you wear a hat or like he said smear spf 50 on every 45 minutes of the day, no exception.

I know people will hate this review with a passion but like everything skin most isn’t tested decades down the line, so I wanted to give my 2 cents. Do what you will with it.

on 3/22/2018 10:44:00 AM

I don't know why but it works. My skin has not been happy with the majority of The Ordinary's products: they break me out and I find them difficult to apply - they either make my skin uncomfortably sticky, form a film on my skin or just peel off. This product has been a pleasant surprise. I use it at night, after cleansing and toning. I usually don't put anything on top or use some light oil if my skin is flaky. It really helps me to calm any inflammations and heal up my acne. I am not sure if it's retinol or any other ingredient in the formula, but it works and significantly improves overall skin texture. I hope they don't reformulate it.

on 3/13/2018 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Just love The Ordinary!

on 11/24/2017 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It is my first retinoid. I started every other night and I realised that's way too much. My face starting breaking out like crazy and I thought it was just the "purging phase" but after some research (read: googling) I toned down the regimen to once a week for a month and recently I just increased the frequency to 2x a week.

I think this product is really helpful? It helps with the existing acne scars/redness from previous acne. Though it does cause me to break out at places I don't normally have breakouts, which is my jawline.

Although it smells a little funky, it absorbs really fast (this seems to be common with all The Ordinary products) which is great.

UPDATE: I read somewhere that retinoid can take 8-12 weeks to have its effect and I think that's the case. Right now, I'm breaking out a lot less than before and my remaining acne have more or less cleared up. I do still get some occasional breakout but nothing compared to before.

on 11/21/2017 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I have used the Verso n 4 serum, which is also a serum with this new type of retinol but this comes with a remarkable lower price and I think this works even better than Verso. The only minus (as with all TO products) is that is easy to overdose. I also feel you need a higher amount of product when applying compared to Verso. But this will be my go to Retinol from now on.

on 10/31/2017 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

There really isn't any reason not to try this.

on 10/22/2017 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I love the way my skin feels the morning after I apply it. I get absolutely no irritation, even under the eyes, unless I use it every day.

I am not seeing a DRAMATIC difference in my skin, but it might be because I already use a lot of actives. Maybe I should get the 5% strength.
I doubt any of them will actually improve my acne scarring (mild ice pick), but it does help with healing fresh pimples.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Well, I tried but ended up tossing. I'm not at all convinced that this particular retinol formulation is enough to produce any results on skin that is used to regular retinols (not Rx, just over the counter ). It felt nice enough but a little too moisturizing for my oily/combo skin. I think for a first time retinol user it would be a good way to ease in to retinols if your skin is sensitive or dry-ish.