Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.2

on 12/12/2018 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I'm on my 5th bottle and this is THE ONE skincare product I literally cannot live without.
In my mid 30's, my skin is constantly battling whiteheads, photodamage (i live in the tropics) where sun exposure lasts all year round, working indoor with the AC on, so my skin is also dry. I'm active and having small pores make them clogged easily, turn into cystic acnes or whiteheads.
I've tried to stop using this for a while since I was afraid of acid resistance -where your skin doesnt respond to acid treatment; but it was a mistake. My whiteheads,milia, and cystic acnes return, and my skin is so so dry and patchy it doesnt look good in the most hydrating foundationg either.
This is a milk-like runny liquid, and the pipette is brilliant. It has no smell, no sticky residue on my fingers, it doesnt make your skin dry. It is very soft but effective exfoliating product that helps your skin to regenerate faster.

I use this in the PM, along with my FTE and other serums, seal it with Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream for chronic dry skin, and The Ordinary Plant Derived Squalane. It absorps quickly, as I usually massage it into my skin and then do some patting.
When I add this back to my PM routine, my skin clears up, the whiteheads and acnes gone, and it is now plumped, and hydrated. I cant live without this. Happy skin, happy me. I will keep buying this as I recommend it to everyone who has the same problems with mine and they too are satisfied with the result. With very very affordable price tag, I cant complain and I am thankful for this brilliant, brilliant product.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I changed from Peter Thomas Roth and Paula's Choice to the Ordinary because of the price. The consistency is a bit thicker compared to the other brands I was using. I don't know about the results, I cannot see anything evident from any brand, so I will continue using it.

on 6/14/2018 7:09:00 PM

I've just finished my bottle of this. I used it every 4th night and applied moisturiser and oil over the top of it. I have dry aging skin with a lot of sun damage. I have wrinkles.

This didn't magically make my wrinkles disappear or cause me to wake up one morning looking like a 20 year old.

It feels nice on the skin, it doesn't upset my skin, it doesn't dry out my skin. It didn't cause break outs or irritation or any other issues and its cheap.

I added retinoids to my skincare routine a year ago as i had noticed my skin was dull and had a lot of texture on my cheek bones. At the time I added a retinoid product (LRP), the lactic acid from The Ordinary and Vitamin C products. Over the past 12 months I've noticed an improvement in my skin, the texture slowly sloughed away and my skin became brighter and softer. I have gone from using heavier foundations to cover up non healthy looking skin to using sheer coverage because I'm happy with how healthy my skin looks. I still have discolouration from years of living outdoors in the sun, but overall my skin looks so much nicer. I attribute those positive changes to adding retinoids along with a gentle AHA and vitamin C into my skincare routine. I will continue to use retinoid products, especially affordable ones such as this one.

on 6/8/2018 12:57:00 PM

This stuff gave me BAD breakouts!!! Bought a setup suited for dry skin butt hell no. Took months to recover the skin. Contacted them and got a full refund which made my heart melt a bit. Advanced stuff full of shit. Go for eco instead.

on 5/13/2018 5:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have used prescription retinoids in the past and I found that they worked fine on the oilier parts of my skin by wreaked havoc on any drier areas. I don't have any wrinkles or fine lines yet so I decided to take a step back and start with retinol. I always had a hard time securing a retinol product I liked because they were so expensive. I could not fathom paying more money for a product that was weaker than prescription strength Retin A. I was really glad when The Ordinary introduced their retinol products. The Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum works very well. I did not experience any irritation. The formula went on nicely and absorbs quickly. After weeks I could definitely see that my skin was clearer and more even. By the time I finished the bottle I was hooked. I wish the formula included some other antioxidants or ceramides but it is excellent value and it works.

on 5/10/2018 12:09:00 AM

This diffinitely beats out the Neutrogena antiwrinkle creams I've used in the past. It's so light and easily absorbed, I love it! It doesn't irritate my skin, but between this and the ordinary's vitamin c serum every morning, my skin has never looked or felt better. If you've tried retinol creams before and didn't like them, I encourage you to try this out. Plus, the price is HALF of what I used to pay for Neutrogena.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I've been using it for 2 weeks daily (yet my skin isn't irritated) and I feel ready to write a review because I'm seeing results already!! It retails for 6£ and is probably the cheapest retinoid product in the market especially with such high potency. I really love this, my skin feels glowy and even toned. My light scarring and discoloration are slowly fading away. I wake up in the morning with a much smoother and fresher complexion. I keep my skincare routine very minimal, I use a face wash and toner daily, exfoliate 3 times a week, apply this serum daily and add a moisturizer on top, that is all. TO is making a huge difference on my skin texture. I've tried other Retinol products such as the much raved about LRP Redermic R who had zero results on me and even irritated my skin (check my full review) so I'm happy I found TO which actually works and is 5 times cheaper. I've ordered a 2nd bottle.

on 4/27/2018 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Eyyyy, Deciem is really on their game with bringing affordable, high-performance products to the game!

I didn't know TO had a huge cult following behind it when I bought this, I really bought it for the retinol concentration. Retinol has literally performed miracles on my skin, I used to have deep acne scarring that I thought I couldn't get rid of from my life! My skin is prone to discoloration, scarring, etc. Recently the texture of my skin had been getting bumpy, so I pulled this out and tried it.

It comes in a tinted glass bottle with a dropper, and it's really thin and serum-y. This is very unlike other retinols I've used which were usually thick creams or lotions. It dries to a sticky, tacky film that has a bit of shine. I recommend applying it before you go to sleep so you wake up to bright, even toned skin! For less than $10, this is probably the most affordable way of getting the results of a visit to the aesthetician at home!

Was having problematic skin and didn’t know what product to turn to. This is coming from someone who had the clearest of skins. People used to come up close to check my face as to how clear it was. I used to wear minimal make up too. A few years down the line, I noticed my skin started to look off. It was dull and I somehow developed these small under skin bumps. No idea where they came from. It covered well with make up, however, it just wasn’t good enough for me. I had to look into different skin care products to get rid of these bumps. I did a chemical peel and that helped somewhat. But not enough. I changed my skin care routine completely. I decided to try a few The Ordinary products. They were reasonably priced so I didn’t have much to lose. I purchased the Retinol, AHA peel and the Buffet. AHA I do every 10 days as it will be too harsh to use frequently as it’s an exfoliant. I also purchased a hyaluronic acid serum from another brand which I use everyday. All of these products seems to have helped my skin look more alive and glowy. Bumps have gone and I can feel my complexion getting better every day. Finally I found a few products that’s working and getting my good skin back! I read another review in regards to Retinol thinning the skin down the line. Decided to skip the Retinol every night and use it once or twice a week. I also use Vitamin E oil on top of my Hyaluronic acid serum. They all seem to work wonders on skin. Will continue to use the Retinol but not every night. I always use SPF50 but apparently, it’s just not enough to prevent skin damage when using Retinol. I don’t really want to wear a hat everyday either. Loving The Ordinary range.

I was loving retinol for years, swearing by it and even had it prescribed before it became a thing.

Only used it at night, had it build up to a stronger percentage slowly etc.

After 7 years use I started to get thinner skin. Like a lot thinner. So I contacted a (well known, very expensive) doctor who specializes in skin (not a mere dermatologist). He told me it’s a normal, should be expected, side effect of retinols and what might also have happened is the sun. Even tough I only ever wore retinols at night and wore spf 50 in the day, every day, it was not enough. He told me most girls today wear too many acids, not knowing how much might hide in all their different products, and that almost no one knows your skin gets “raw” for approx 4 days after applying retinol.

So what should be helping against wrinkles might actually cause more down the line, unless you wear a hat or like he said smear spf 50 on every 45 minutes of the day, no exception.

I know people will hate this review with a passion but like everything skin most isn’t tested decades down the line, so I wanted to give my 2 cents. Do what you will with it.