Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.4

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm working my way through all The Ordinary products but this was the first one I tried, so the one I've been using the longest. I haven't used many other retinol products in the past but the one I have been using the past year is tested on animals and my new year's resolution was to purge my life of anything that isn't cruelty free. I was very excited to discover The Ordinary because they state very clearly that they are a cruelty free brand. I switched to this retinol about 6 weeks ago and haven't seen any drastic results, I only use it on my forehead area because I have incredibly purge prone skin and learnt my lesson with retinols but my forehead is also the only area of my face that is showing signs of ageing. I experienced a tiny purge, a couple of small pimples after a few weeks but overall my skin has reacted very well to this. It's extremely gentle, I use a small amount every night and have experienced no dryness or peeling, the texture is milky and a little greasy once on but as my forehead is quite dry I actually like this. Nothing drastic has happened to the lines or pores on my forehead but it's certainly maintaining the results from my pervious retinol, I'm going to keep going with it because it's such a gentle product and so cheap but I will probably add their 1% and compare at some point.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

EPIC!!!! This is the perfect retinoid product for my skin! It doesn't irritate one bit or overly dry me out. This along with the Buffet is my HG night treatment. This is a watery, yellowish serum that absorbs immediately into the skin for me. I use about 4 drops for the face and 2 drops for the neck after my Buffet application and wake up to super smooth, clear, renewed skin! It has also lessened my fine lines on my forehead and smile lines greatly. You cannot beat the price either! I find this product along with the Buffet and this company groundbreaking and game changing. Fabulous! xoxoxox

on 5/20/2017 3:40:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Realised it was time I started adding some higher strength retinol to my skincare again, and given how much I trust these guys, this was my first choice.

It's great - the most important thing is that there's pretty much none of the usual initial retinol soreness from using this stuff. (don't know if anyone else finds that off putting but it has stopped me from using other products in the past )

My skin was a little on the pink/ fresh side the first time but I built up the dose gradually.

It's a thin milky fluid so you need to layer it on damp skin or other product so it spreads properly but that really is the only downside. Other people may actually like that about it.

Anyhow, I'm a few months and half a bottle down and this is helping my skin look fresher, firmer and clearer.

Absolutely brilliant, especially considering the price.

on 5/17/2017 8:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

So I decided to jump on The Ordinary bandwagon after:

1. getting sick of spending my hard earned cash on average serums (Khiels midnight recovery, Aesop and Estee Lauder anyone?); and

2. seeing it on sale on AdoreBeauty.

Although it seems impossible, after two nights of using this serum I can tell it's a winner.

At first I was a bit apprehensive because of low price (hoowww do they make it so potent but so cheap?) and some reviews on here (people say it's sticky).

I won't lie, on application I did find it slightly sticky. However, this went away about 3 minutes later and the product had completely absorbed. Great.

For background, I am not an alabaster beauty. My skin is medium tone, combination/oily, uneven and generally looks terrible without makeup.

Woke up this morning and had to look twice.

My usually tired, blotchy and sallow skin looked even, plump and bright. My frown line (which is there constantly) was so much less pronounced. My makeup went on like a dream also.

This is probably the first skincare item that I have used where I have noted a substantial difference.

When I think about all the money I have wasted on expensive skincare, I cringe. Don't bother with the expensive stuff, save your cash and buy this instead!

on 5/8/2017 8:40:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

As someone who hasn't really given any thought to skincare before, I have bought only the occasional oil or moisturiser. My main concern was always the eye area (hollowed, dark circles, so much fun overall). BUT I found myself turning 30 and reading on Korean Skincare about how Koreans like to start their skincare regimes early on, like 14 or so and I was mortified. And as someone who always tries to be as thrifty as possible, I started researching affordable anti-aging choices to get me started, even though I was late to the skincare party. Now, I have to say that I consider my skin (apart from the eye area) fairly good, with the occasional spot and somewhat visible pores but that's about it. My extensive internet research guided me to retinols and in turn that led me to the Advanced Retinoid 2%.
This is the first time I've applied anything retinol related to my skin. I apply it all over, including the area under the eyes, as I've read that it can help with the hollows. I have been using this for the past month and I have to say that my skin is visibly smoother and actually softer in the morning, but that's about it. No change yet under the eyes. I have had some scaling, mostly around the mouth. I like its consistency - it's white and has a serum-like feel, though on the heavier side -and I find it easy to spread and quick to absorb. Will continue to use in hopes of staving the lines and wrinkles off a little bit longer.

on 5/2/2017 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Bought this as a replacement for my more expensive retinol cream and have been loving it. I must admit having that I have changed a lot of steps in my skincare regime as of lately, having added a lot of The Ordinary products.
I have been using this for about a month and noticed a slight improvement around my eye area (yes I do use it as an eye cream as well) and the skin on my face in general. Since the price point is so reasonable I decided to use it on my neck and chest as well , starting only a a couple of weeks back. I have seen a huge improvement especially on the neck and chest, quite dramatically actually. Will definitely repurchase, just need them to stock up and a few other things that I will be buying, to qualify for the free shipping.

on 4/16/2017 7:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a life changer. This, and the other serums from The Ordinary that consist 90 % of my skincare routine has given me the best skin days of my life. This serum is my "heavy hitter" that I use at night, and I believe this has done the most for my fine lines and a scar I had on the forehead from when I was a kid. The scar is almost completely vanished, and my fine lines around my eyes (because of too much tanning when I was a teen) are also almost gone.

Of all the Ordinary products I have, this is by far my favourite. Serious skin food, it leaves my skin plump and is helping with my battle against comedones. I highly reccomend!!

on 4/15/2017 1:19:00 PM

Yay.Another excellent serum from The Ordinary. This is well formulated, non irritating( retiniods usually are not), fast absorbing and gives me nice glow. On my face I am using 3 times a week with Matrixyl +HA serum on the top.my skin looks almost glowing and the pores looks more smooth. i did notice the skin is much more sensitive to the sun(thats retinoids for you), so i started using spf 50 protection.
the only negative is packing, as it not air tight (so after a while the product will be less effective) so i am replacing the product every two months.

OK. so I recently purchased a few items from this line. I was already using the 1% retinol and had no issues with it, so why not go a bit harder with the 2%? Anyway, this comes in a dropper bottle and the consistency and colour is like milk. It really reminds me of a product I used to use called Synergie A+ serum in feel and texture on the skin. I placed a few drops on my palm and then dotted this over my clean skin. The first thing I noticed was how quickly it dries on the skin. 3 drops did my entire face, but once you have rubbed it in, it completely absorbs. I followed up with The Ordinary Natural Moisturising Factor. On initial application, I had absolutely no adverse reaction. The following morning, my skin felt completely normal and there were no reactions over night. My skin is very clear, but I am 51, so anti ageing is my ultimate goal with skincare. I am seriously impressed with this range so far. The only product that I haven't liked is the Caffeine Eye solution.