Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.3

on 11/24/2017 12:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

It is my first retinoid. I started every other night and I realised that's way too much. My face starting breaking out like crazy and I thought it was just the "purging phase" but after some research (read: googling) I toned down the regimen to once a week for a month and recently I just increased the frequency to 2x a week.

I think this product is really helpful? It helps with the existing acne scars/redness from previous acne. Though it does cause me to break out at places I don't normally have breakouts, which is my jawline.

Although it smells a little funky, it absorbs really fast (this seems to be common with all The Ordinary products) which is great.

on 11/21/2017 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I have used the Verso n 4 serum, which is also a serum with this new type of retinol but this comes with a remarkable lower price and I think this works even better than Verso. The only minus (as with all TO products) is that is easy to overdose. I also feel you need a higher amount of product when applying compared to Verso. But this will be my go to Retinol from now on.

on 10/31/2017 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

There really isn't any reason not to try this.

on 10/25/2017 10:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have combo/oily/acne prone skin that is also sensitive.
I use this 2-3 times a week and the glow in my skin is definitely noticeable!
Acne spots are starting to fade and any slight pigmentation is barely visible. Been using for about 2-3 months now and it's amazing!
My skin does slightly peel but it is very controllable compared to retinoids Drs have prescribed me! Worth every dollar!

The Ordinary is a brand under the mothership Deciem The Abnormal Beauty Company.

The Ordinary has all "things" going for it. Excellent packaging, stable active ingredients at the highest available concentrations and an excellent extremely affordable price range.

So theoretically one should expect and receive visible dramatic results. I've found many of this line's Vitamin C serums to deliver however when it comes to this particular product the Retinoid 2% I have to say it fails and does not deliver.

Perhaps it is because I have used Retinly Palmitate, Retinol(Paula's Choice) and prescription Retinoids(Retin-A) in the past and now no longer see any visible results with ingredients less intense than these more active forms of Vitamin A.

Or it could be due to the possible fact that many of the active ingredients in The Ordinary skin care range, despite being at highest legal possible concentrations in a skin care product, aren't entirely bio available. That is one of the common things I have read from top dermatologists and serious skin care enthusiasts that despite the ingredient listings looking very scientific and generous with actives they for some reason don't really deliver the results you'd expect.

It is a very strange situation and one that I've never quite been in having used some of the best active cosmeceutical skin care in the industry(PAULA'S CHOICE, RATIONALE, SYNERGIE)

I suppose it might be down to the supplier of their ingredients, they might not be getting what they think they are getting.

This ineffectiveness with a handful of their products extends to their acid peel serums 5 and 10% lactic acid etc, with the exception of the 30% peel which is marvellous that is definitely working for me and a must have.

But this having researched and discovered that the particles are too large to enter unlike Retinol etc which are better absorbed and produce faster results, that may be the very reason this product takes its time.

I have used this product every evening almost three months now and no real change has been detected. I will not be repurchasing. I would only recommend this product for those with very intolerant sensitive skin who cannot even tolerate retinyl palmitate a Vitamin A derivative just one step less intense than Retinol and see whether they receive any results.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wrote a review before but had to rewrite it as the effects of this product changed for the better. This review will be useful to those acne-prone who don't want to have all the retinoid uglies at once, and need to minimize the effects of this product, which is well-tolerated by a majority of people but will cause problems if you tend to break out a lot, or are sensitive to retinoids because you never used any before.

The first time I started using it, I applied it every other night, which is too much if you have never used retinol or retinoids before. Within days, my skin had become a very sensitive mess, and my face was covered with small, painful pimples. I wasn't too pleased and I knew I had to stick to it for several weeks, but I didn't have the time or courage to go through this. I went back to my AHAs and serums with a sigh of relief and stored this in a bag with a bunch of stuff I don't want to use/ consider to give away.

A few months later, I was PMSing and starting to get really tired of my hormonal acne, which was still bad (I don't use any specific long-term treatment). It comes and goes and makes life difficult, especially because I teach to students who are slightly younger than me and still have better skin than I do. Also, the anti-aging benefits sound very appealing. Although I don't need them right now, I'm sure I'll appreciate being preventive when I'm in my 30s. So I decided to re-introduce this product this very progressively in my nighttime routine. This is my retinoid timeline:

Week 1: 1 time /week
Weeks 2-3-4: 2 times/week
Weeks 5-6: 3 times/ week
Week 7 and after: Every other night.

3/4 drops will suffice first; you can add more after the 5th week. (I now use as much as I do a regular serum.)

At the beginning, my skin was sensitive and felt irritated. I got a few pimples, but nothing too crazy or noticeable: I just used a full coverage foundation, or heavy-duty concealer.

It felt extremely dry soon after: thirsty like never before. For reference, I'm usually super duper oily. I made sure not to use a very rich cream (they're usually too occlusive and therefore pore-clogging), but instead I started layering a hydrating serum and a face oil/ a nice moisturizer which I know doesn't clog my pores, like MV Oxygen Moisturizer. I did a lot of moisturizing masks, made sure to drink a lot, used mists and sprays, and stopped using oil-free foundations in favor of richer complexion products that were usually too dewy, like Cle Cosmetics CCC cream, or Zelens Youth Glow. Always use SPF- either replace the moisturizer/ oil with a good SPF Cream, apply some on top of it, or make sure your complexion product has SPF in it.

After a full month, I started appreciating the effects of this product. I now use it every other night. I wake up to a smooth, clearer, brighter complexion. I'm still a bit dry but not flakey, and never irritated. Also, I had to stop using AHAs so much, I now do around once a week on nights where I don't use the Advanced Retinoid 2%. I make sure to moisturize well on other nights, taking time to re-build my skin's barrier.

All in all, I think this is worth it. I have some discoloration that I hope will fade completely. I'll probably start using the Vit C cream from the same brand in the morning for added brightening benefits, and I'll try a more potent retinol product such as Shani Darden's when I'm finished with this.

on 10/22/2017 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I love the way my skin feels the morning after I apply it. I get absolutely no irritation, even under the eyes, unless I use it every day.

I am not seeing a DRAMATIC difference in my skin, but it might be because I already use a lot of actives. Maybe I should get the 5% strength.
I doubt any of them will actually improve my acne scarring (mild ice pick), but it does help with healing fresh pimples.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

This is one of the more powerful OTC retinols available. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, although I have used retinols for a while now. My 65y old mother is obsessed with this, I have to bring her shipments back to the US whenever I see her.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Well, I tried but ended up tossing. I'm not at all convinced that this particular retinol formulation is enough to produce any results on skin that is used to regular retinols (not Rx, just over the counter ). It felt nice enough but a little too moisturizing for my oily/combo skin. I think for a first time retinol user it would be a good way to ease in to retinols if your skin is sensitive or dry-ish.

on 10/10/2017 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I really wanted to like this, I admire The Ordinary brand and their efforts to simplify skincare choices at a great price point. BUT, this has done nothing for my skin except dry it out, even with moisturiser and oil on top, and using only every other night - I always had flaky skin around my nose which would only come off with manual exfoliation. I used to use Paula's Choice 1% retinol, with minimal irritation so I don't think it was a acclimation issue. The lines on my face have gotten worse (granted, this has been a very stressful year for me), so after persevering through a bottle and a half of this, I'm switching to a more emollient retinol product.