Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.2

on 6/8/2018 12:57:00 PM

This stuff gave me BAD breakouts!!! Bought a setup suited for dry skin butt hell no. Took months to recover the skin. Contacted them and got a full refund which made my heart melt a bit. Advanced stuff full of shit. Go for eco instead.

on 10/10/2017 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I really wanted to like this, I admire The Ordinary brand and their efforts to simplify skincare choices at a great price point. BUT, this has done nothing for my skin except dry it out, even with moisturiser and oil on top, and using only every other night - I always had flaky skin around my nose which would only come off with manual exfoliation. I used to use Paula's Choice 1% retinol, with minimal irritation so I don't think it was a acclimation issue. The lines on my face have gotten worse (granted, this has been a very stressful year for me), so after persevering through a bottle and a half of this, I'm switching to a more emollient retinol product.

on 7/31/2017 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

ETA - 3.28.2018 - almost a year later - I'm still up in the air with this stuff. My bottle I have only is good once opened for a year - so I decided to try it again - and do it consistently 3 times a week (and have used this on and off throughout the year when I feel like I should try it again). I'm on my second week - and woke up with a large cyst forming on my chin. I do not believe this was retinoid related (tried a new moisturizer which I believe caused it) but I REEEEALLY dislike how greasy and tacky this makes my face feel. I apply it before bed - and let it sit and apply my moisturizer -- and it's just greasy. I hate the smell of it, too. I'm also oily skinned/shiny from BP gel treatment - so this stuff just makes my face feel GROSS three times a week. I do wake up with soft skin - but my moisturizer does this, too. I do not see any brightening etc.. - and because the expiration date is coming up ( June it expires) - I just do not think I'll retry this. I'm a bit weary - and all the greasy, smelly side effects are just not worth it. Everyone keeps mentioning getting drier skin - I WISH. This stuff just makes my skin more greasy (which looking at my first review - I recalled happening too). Tossing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bit up in the air with how I feel about this product. I'm still in the "testing" phase, but I didn't see results like most people did. I have clear skin from use of topical BP and have sensitive skin with melasma.

I used this for a little more than a week - and I don't know how others are seeing immediate, next day results - but my skin didn't look any different. It FELT smoother, but I'm aiming for fading of fine lines, wrinkles, and melasma. I didn't see any of this better after a week, but I'm not surprised. I believe it takes much longer (like 4 weeks) to see serious results with retinoids. Just keep that in mind when trying this product out.

I did, however, start to see little whiteheads appear on my left side of nose area. I didn't break out/purge anywhere else - but at this point, I was using this stuff every other night and noticed my skin was starting to get a bit greasier than normal. I'm guessing - for me - it was overuse of this product -- AKA: too much exfoliation. I stopped using it - but plan to try going back to using this once, maybe 2 times a week AT THE MOST.

Because this product is a chemical exfoliant, I'm a bit shocked that most websites recommend using it nightly if your skin can tolerate it. I've seen the same recommendations for AHA, too. I didn't think ANYONE should be exfoliating their skin every single night. It seems a bit harsh, and a bit overkill. If your skin is like mine, the excessive exfoliation started to cause more oil production and I was getting more greasy. This happens when you overexfoliate (high turnover of cells). I use my moisturizer twice a day - so it's not for a lack of moisturizer. I wouldn't do a skin scrub on my face every single night, why in the world would I use a chemical one? Even the most basic facial scrubs (like my elf one that I love) will tell you to not exfoliate every night.

Will see how my skin handles once/twice a week.

on 2/18/2017 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I wanted to try this out because the price point is ridiculous and I've been wanting to add a retinoid product into my skincare routine, so this was a no-brainer. After about two months of trying this out, I have come to the conclusion that this has done absolutely nothing for my skin. I had a bit of mild purging for the first week and a half or so, but that was to be expected. After that, I was hoping to see a gradual improvement in the appearance of my skin. It never happened. On nights that I decided to skip this product, I noticed no difference compared to the nights that I did use it.

I recently started Curology, and my skincare expert actually advised me to stop using this product as it has Carrageenan, which is a level 5 on the comedogenic scale on cosDNA. Since I've stopped using this, I actually think my skin has gotten better. I really wanted to like this, but I just did not.

I was loving retinol for years, swearing by it and even had it prescribed before it became a thing.

Only used it at night, had it build up to a stronger percentage slowly etc.

After 7 years use I started to get thinner skin. Like a lot thinner. So I contacted a (well known, very expensive) doctor who specializes in skin (not a mere dermatologist). He told me it’s a normal, should be expected, side effect of retinols and what might also have happened is the sun. Even tough I only ever wore retinols at night and wore spf 50 in the day, every day, it was not enough. He told me most girls today wear too many acids, not knowing how much might hide in all their different products, and that almost no one knows your skin gets “raw” for approx 4 days after applying retinol.

So what should be helping against wrinkles might actually cause more down the line, unless you wear a hat or like he said smear spf 50 on every 45 minutes of the day, no exception.

I know people will hate this review with a passion but like everything skin most isn’t tested decades down the line, so I wanted to give my 2 cents. Do what you will with it.

The Ordinary is a brand under the mothership Deciem The Abnormal Beauty Company.

The Ordinary has all "things" going for it. Excellent packaging, stable active ingredients at the highest available concentrations and an excellent extremely affordable price range.

So theoretically one should expect and receive visible dramatic results. I've found many of this line's Vitamin C serums to deliver however when it comes to this particular product the Retinoid 2% I have to say it fails and does not deliver.

Perhaps it is because I have used Retinly Palmitate, Retinol(Paula's Choice) and prescription Retinoids(Retin-A) in the past and now no longer see any visible results with ingredients less intense than these more active forms of Vitamin A.

Or it could be due to the possible fact that many of the active ingredients in The Ordinary skin care range, despite being at highest legal possible concentrations in a skin care product, aren't entirely bio available. That is one of the common things I have read from top dermatologists and serious skin care enthusiasts that despite the ingredient listings looking very scientific and generous with actives they for some reason don't really deliver the results you'd expect.

It is a very strange situation and one that I've never quite been in having used some of the best active cosmeceutical skin care in the industry(PAULA'S CHOICE, RATIONALE, SYNERGIE)

I suppose it might be down to the supplier of their ingredients, they might not be getting what they think they are getting.

This ineffectiveness with a handful of their products extends to their acid peel serums 5 and 10% lactic acid etc, with the exception of the 30% peel which is marvellous that is definitely working for me and a must have.

But this having researched and discovered that the particles are too large to enter unlike Retinol etc which are better absorbed and produce faster results, that may be the very reason this product takes its time.

I have used this product every evening almost three months now and no real change has been detected. I will not be repurchasing. I would only recommend this product for those with very intolerant sensitive skin who cannot even tolerate retinyl palmitate a Vitamin A derivative just one step less intense than Retinol and see whether they receive any results.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Well, I tried but ended up tossing. I'm not at all convinced that this particular retinol formulation is enough to produce any results on skin that is used to regular retinols (not Rx, just over the counter ). It felt nice enough but a little too moisturizing for my oily/combo skin. I think for a first time retinol user it would be a good way to ease in to retinols if your skin is sensitive or dry-ish.

on 8/27/2017 7:37:00 AM

I give this product two lippies because it's a great concept and the price is right. However, I had hoped that since this was advertised as a next-gen Retinoid, it would provide a superior performance to the other retinol type products I've used in the past. All the cult products (e.g., Neutrogena Healthy Skin) have been disastrous for my skin -- I have never had acne, but retinol seems to be the one ingredient that can form (nearly immediately!) HUGE, super painful, deep cysts that wreck my skin for literally months even after I discontinue use. This was (so sadly!) no different. If you are like me and were hoping for something different, unfortunately this probably won't work for you. Such a bummer!

on 7/26/2017 1:24:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Sad face from the Ordinary 2% Retinoid. It has caused a bit of havoc on my face (havoc for me as I don't have skin issues) Had hoped to use this for fine lines. Surprised as it sounded like this would be a super star based on all the other reviews. Three Big raised pimples appeared after using it. I have never had any skin issues with pimples or acne. One or two pimples around that time of month. So was shocked at what happened. The pimples are large and deep. Oddly they do not hurt. I stopped using it to see if the Retinoid was the culprit. I had used a strong AHA/BHA Mask prior to staring the Retinoid so was not sure what caused the breakout. I took an antibiotic for a few days along with a steroid and my face cleared. I used it again ONE time and wham a giant pimple appeared! It is trying to heal right now. Very upsetting. Could my skin be purging? I plan to get in to see a Dermatologist. Hope others have better results with the product. Again, sad face as I did like it a first.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Seems too mild for a version of retinol. May be good for those under 30. Retinol works for those over 30. This one is filled with soft mild actives without irritation such as dryness and peeling