Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

3.9

on 11/21/2017 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

I have used the Verso n 4 serum, which is also a serum with this new type of retinol but this comes with a remarkable lower price and I think this works even better than Verso. The only minus (as with all TO products) is that is easy to overdose. I also feel you need a higher amount of product when applying compared to Verso. But this will be my go to Retinol from now on.

The Ordinary is a brand under the mothership Deciem The Abnormal Beauty Company.

The Ordinary has all "things" going for it. Excellent packaging, stable active ingredients at the highest available concentrations and an excellent extremely affordable price range.

So theoretically one should expect and receive visible dramatic results. I've found many of this line's Vitamin C serums to deliver however when it comes to this particular product the Retinoid 2% I have to say it fails and does not deliver.

Perhaps it is because I have used Retinly Palmitate, Retinol(Paula's Choice) and prescription Retinoids(Retin-A) in the past and now no longer see any visible results with ingredients less intense than these more active forms of Vitamin A.

Or it could be due to the possible fact that many of the active ingredients in The Ordinary skin care range, despite being at highest legal possible concentrations in a skin care product, aren't entirely bio available. That is one of the common things I have read from top dermatologists and serious skin care enthusiasts that despite the ingredient listings looking very scientific and generous with actives they for some reason don't really deliver the results you'd expect.

It is a very strange situation and one that I've never quite been in having used some of the best active cosmeceutical skin care in the industry(PAULA'S CHOICE, RATIONALE, SYNERGIE)

I suppose it might be down to the supplier of their ingredients, they might not be getting what they think they are getting.

This ineffectiveness with a handful of their products extends to their acid peel serums 5 and 10% lactic acid etc, with the exception of the 30% peel which is marvellous that is definitely working for me and a must have.

But this having researched and discovered that the particles are too large to enter unlike Retinol etc which are better absorbed and produce faster results, that may be the very reason this product takes its time.

I have used this product every evening almost three months now and no real change has been detected. I will not be repurchasing. I would only recommend this product for those with very intolerant sensitive skin who cannot even tolerate retinyl palmitate a Vitamin A derivative just one step less intense than Retinol and see whether they receive any results.

on 10/10/2017 4:14:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I really wanted to like this, I admire The Ordinary brand and their efforts to simplify skincare choices at a great price point. BUT, this has done nothing for my skin except dry it out, even with moisturiser and oil on top, and using only every other night - I always had flaky skin around my nose which would only come off with manual exfoliation. I used to use Paula's Choice 1% retinol, with minimal irritation so I don't think it was a acclimation issue. The lines on my face have gotten worse (granted, this has been a very stressful year for me), so after persevering through a bottle and a half of this, I'm switching to a more emollient retinol product.

on 8/26/2017 11:37:00 PM

This is one of my favorite products from The Ordinary. It feels light, absorbs quickly, and doesn't irritate my skin. I've been using for about a month and use this every night. Each morning, I wake up to a smoother, more even complexion. I don't ever want to be without this.

on 7/27/2017 12:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Fantastic product! I use 2 times a week at night time and next morning my skin feels bright and soft. For the price, it is a winner.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm working my way through all The Ordinary products but this was the first one I tried, so the one I've been using the longest. I haven't used many other retinol products in the past but the one I have been using the past year is tested on animals and my new year's resolution was to purge my life of anything that isn't cruelty free. I was very excited to discover The Ordinary because they state very clearly that they are a cruelty free brand. I switched to this retinol about 6 weeks ago and haven't seen any drastic results, I only use it on my forehead area because I have incredibly purge prone skin and learnt my lesson with retinols but my forehead is also the only area of my face that is showing signs of ageing. I experienced a tiny purge, a couple of small pimples after a few weeks but overall my skin has reacted very well to this. It's extremely gentle, I use a small amount every night and have experienced no dryness or peeling, the texture is milky and a little greasy once on but as my forehead is quite dry I actually like this. Nothing drastic has happened to the lines or pores on my forehead but it's certainly maintaining the results from my pervious retinol, I'm going to keep going with it because it's such a gentle product and so cheap but I will probably add their 1% and compare at some point.

on 5/20/2017 3:40:00 AM

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Realised it was time I started adding some higher strength retinol to my skincare again, and given how much I trust these guys, this was my first choice.

It's great - the most important thing is that there's pretty much none of the usual initial retinol soreness from using this stuff. (don't know if anyone else finds that off putting but it has stopped me from using other products in the past )

My skin was a little on the pink/ fresh side the first time but I built up the dose gradually.

It's a thin milky fluid so you need to layer it on damp skin or other product so it spreads properly but that really is the only downside. Other people may actually like that about it.

Anyhow, I'm a few months and half a bottle down and this is helping my skin look fresher, firmer and clearer.

Absolutely brilliant, especially considering the price.

on 5/2/2017 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Bought this as a replacement for my more expensive retinol cream and have been loving it. I must admit having that I have changed a lot of steps in my skincare regime as of lately, having added a lot of The Ordinary products.
I have been using this for about a month and noticed a slight improvement around my eye area (yes I do use it as an eye cream as well) and the skin on my face in general. Since the price point is so reasonable I decided to use it on my neck and chest as well , starting only a a couple of weeks back. I have seen a huge improvement especially on the neck and chest, quite dramatically actually. Will definitely repurchase, just need them to stock up and a few other things that I will be buying, to qualify for the free shipping.

on 4/15/2017 1:19:00 PM

Yay.Another excellent serum from The Ordinary. This is well formulated, non irritating( retiniods usually are not), fast absorbing and gives me nice glow. On my face I am using 3 times a week with Matrixyl +HA serum on the top.my skin looks almost glowing and the pores looks more smooth. i did notice the skin is much more sensitive to the sun(thats retinoids for you), so i started using spf 50 protection.
the only negative is packing, as it not air tight (so after a while the product will be less effective) so i am replacing the product every two months.

on 3/31/2017 5:45:00 PM

Another great product from The Ordinary. This is beautifully formulated, non irritating, fast absorbing and doesn't dry me out. Also, I have found this to be very effective for my nasty KP on the back of my arms! On my face I am using 3-4 x a week, with the B5 serum around my eyes and cheeks, and moisturizer on top of everything. This has improved my skin texture and helped with blackheads around my nose.Also a super reasonable price, like all of the Ordinary products. Highly recommend!