Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.2

on 5/13/2018 5:23:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have used prescription retinoids in the past and I found that they worked fine on the oilier parts of my skin by wreaked havoc on any drier areas. I don't have any wrinkles or fine lines yet so I decided to take a step back and start with retinol. I always had a hard time securing a retinol product I liked because they were so expensive. I could not fathom paying more money for a product that was weaker than prescription strength Retin A. I was really glad when The Ordinary introduced their retinol products. The Advanced Retinoid 2% Serum works very well. I did not experience any irritation. The formula went on nicely and absorbs quickly. After weeks I could definitely see that my skin was clearer and more even. By the time I finished the bottle I was hooked. I wish the formula included some other antioxidants or ceramides but it is excellent value and it works.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I've been using it for 2 weeks daily (yet my skin isn't irritated) and I feel ready to write a review because I'm seeing results already!! It retails for 6£ and is probably the cheapest retinoid product in the market especially with such high potency. I really love this, my skin feels glowy and even toned. My light scarring and discoloration are slowly fading away. I wake up in the morning with a much smoother and fresher complexion. I keep my skincare routine very minimal, I use a face wash and toner daily, exfoliate 3 times a week, apply this serum daily and add a moisturizer on top, that is all. TO is making a huge difference on my skin texture. I've tried other Retinol products such as the much raved about LRP Redermic R who had zero results on me and even irritated my skin (check my full review) so I'm happy I found TO which actually works and is 5 times cheaper. I've ordered a 2nd bottle.

Was having problematic skin and didn’t know what product to turn to. This is coming from someone who had the clearest of skins. People used to come up close to check my face as to how clear it was. I used to wear minimal make up too. A few years down the line, I noticed my skin started to look off. It was dull and I somehow developed these small under skin bumps. No idea where they came from. It covered well with make up, however, it just wasn’t good enough for me. I had to look into different skin care products to get rid of these bumps. I did a chemical peel and that helped somewhat. But not enough. I changed my skin care routine completely. I decided to try a few The Ordinary products. They were reasonably priced so I didn’t have much to lose. I purchased the Retinol, AHA peel and the Buffet. AHA I do every 10 days as it will be too harsh to use frequently as it’s an exfoliant. I also purchased a hyaluronic acid serum from another brand which I use everyday. All of these products seems to have helped my skin look more alive and glowy. Bumps have gone and I can feel my complexion getting better every day. Finally I found a few products that’s working and getting my good skin back! I read another review in regards to Retinol thinning the skin down the line. Decided to skip the Retinol every night and use it once or twice a week. I also use Vitamin E oil on top of my Hyaluronic acid serum. They all seem to work wonders on skin. Will continue to use the Retinol but not every night. I always use SPF50 but apparently, it’s just not enough to prevent skin damage when using Retinol. I don’t really want to wear a hat everyday either. Loving The Ordinary range.

I was loving retinol for years, swearing by it and even had it prescribed before it became a thing.

Only used it at night, had it build up to a stronger percentage slowly etc.

After 7 years use I started to get thinner skin. Like a lot thinner. So I contacted a (well known, very expensive) doctor who specializes in skin (not a mere dermatologist). He told me it’s a normal, should be expected, side effect of retinols and what might also have happened is the sun. Even tough I only ever wore retinols at night and wore spf 50 in the day, every day, it was not enough. He told me most girls today wear too many acids, not knowing how much might hide in all their different products, and that almost no one knows your skin gets “raw” for approx 4 days after applying retinol.

So what should be helping against wrinkles might actually cause more down the line, unless you wear a hat or like he said smear spf 50 on every 45 minutes of the day, no exception.

I know people will hate this review with a passion but like everything skin most isn’t tested decades down the line, so I wanted to give my 2 cents. Do what you will with it.

on 3/15/2018 3:15:00 PM

I think this retinoid is largely responsible for my quickly clearing skin. My acne started from a combination of taking and stopping birth control pills and eating too many nuts and nut butters (nuts are very high in omega 6 fatty acids, which cause internal inflammation). I would keep getting 3-4 new pimples everyday for the past two years.

I started with my internal problems: First I completely quit birth control pills and nuts about two months ago; Second, I started taking Pantothenic Acid supplements (vitamin B5) with every meal. Then I changed my topical products. I've been using this product for about one month now, along with these products:

Morning:
Clindamycin phosphate gel (prescription)
Neutrogena On the Spot 2.5 % benzoyl peroxide

Evening:
Clindamycin phosphate gel
The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2%

These products are clarifying and smoothing my bumpy cheeks and forehead. At first, I used this retinoid only 2x a week and gradually built up to 5-6 times per week. I skip this on the days I use glycolic acid products (Herbivore Blue Tansy Resurfacing Mask or CosRx AHA 7 Whitehead Power Liquid). Three drops of the milky serum covers my entire face after toning and left slightly damp. It leaves my skin dewy and balanced, even if I don't layer moisturizer on top. In the morning, my face looks 50% more glow-y and smoother than the night before.

My skin isn't perfect because I have hyperpigmentation from healing acne, but now my face is smoother and almost bump free. I can live with that! Now I can just wear concealer to work and skip a full face of make up on casual days.

on 3/13/2018 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Just love The Ordinary!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wrote a review before but had to rewrite it as the effects of this product changed for the better. This review will be useful to those acne-prone who don't want to have all the retinoid uglies at once, and need to minimize the effects of this product, which is well-tolerated by a majority of people but will cause problems if you tend to break out a lot, or are sensitive to retinoids because you never used any before.

The first time I started using it, I applied it every other night, which is too much if you have never used retinol or retinoids before. Within days, my skin had become a very sensitive mess, and my face was covered with small, painful pimples. I wasn't too pleased and I knew I had to stick to it for several weeks, but I didn't have the time or courage to go through this. I went back to my AHAs and serums with a sigh of relief and stored this in a bag with a bunch of stuff I don't want to use/ consider to give away.

A few months later, I was PMSing and starting to get really tired of my hormonal acne, which was still bad (I don't use any specific long-term treatment). It comes and goes and makes life difficult, especially because I teach to students who are slightly younger than me and still have better skin than I do. Also, the anti-aging benefits sound very appealing. Although I don't need them right now, I'm sure I'll appreciate being preventive when I'm in my 30s. So I decided to re-introduce this product this very progressively in my nighttime routine. This is my retinoid timeline:

Week 1: 1 time /week
Weeks 2-3-4: 2 times/week
Weeks 5-6: 3 times/ week
Week 7 and after: Every other night.

3/4 drops will suffice first; you can add more after the 5th week. (I now use as much as I do a regular serum.)

At the beginning, my skin was sensitive and felt irritated. I got a few pimples, but nothing too crazy or noticeable: I just used a full coverage foundation, or heavy-duty concealer.

It felt extremely dry soon after: thirsty like never before. For reference, I'm usually super duper oily. I made sure not to use a very rich cream (they're usually too occlusive and therefore pore-clogging), but instead I started layering a hydrating serum and a face oil/ a nice moisturizer which I know doesn't clog my pores, like MV Oxygen Moisturizer. I did a lot of moisturizing masks, made sure to drink a lot, used mists and sprays, and stopped using oil-free foundations in favor of richer complexion products that were usually too dewy, like Cle Cosmetics CCC cream, or Zelens Youth Glow. Always use SPF- either replace the moisturizer/ oil with a good SPF Cream, apply some on top of it, or make sure your complexion product has SPF in it.

After a full month, I started appreciating the effects of this product. I now use it every other night. I wake up to a smooth, clearer, brighter complexion. I'm still a bit dry but not flakey, and never irritated. Also, I had to stop using AHAs so much, I now do around once a week on nights where I don't use the Advanced Retinoid 2%. I make sure to moisturize well on other nights, taking time to re-build my skin's barrier.

All in all, I think this is worth it. I have some discoloration that I hope will fade completely. I'll probably start using the Vit C cream from the same brand in the morning for added brightening benefits, and I'll try a more potent retinol product such as Shani Darden's when I'm finished with this.

on 10/22/2017 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

I love the way my skin feels the morning after I apply it. I get absolutely no irritation, even under the eyes, unless I use it every day.

I am not seeing a DRAMATIC difference in my skin, but it might be because I already use a lot of actives. Maybe I should get the 5% strength.
I doubt any of them will actually improve my acne scarring (mild ice pick), but it does help with healing fresh pimples.

I have been reading a lot about this brand and I was so eager to try it. Among other products that I bought from them, I also included this one. My skin is sometimes dry, sometimes acne-prone, sometimes just dull and you can see all the motherhood and the daily stress on it. Of course, the fine lines are knocking on my door, ya know! So I bought it thinking it would give that kind of glow and to ease my transition into the world of anti aging regimens. I usually use it before I exfoliate my face with the Lactic Acid 5% + HA 2% from the brand, a night before, then I apply the Retinoid 2% and I end up using the Buffet Serum.

Tbh I was expecting to see a stronger reaction of my face (flakiness and all that) but nope...I do wake up with a brighter, smoother skin and I also feel it helps with my sometimes sent from Hell acne. I find it kinda difficult to do "layering" with it, with all their products actually, but maybe it's just because I am a newbie to it :)

I find it suitable for someone who isn't that accustomed to retinoids and the price is such a great deal! I'd buy again this product but I would also like to try something more stronger.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have normal/dry skin and I am 30. My skin had no major issues except it looks unhealthy, dull and uneven due to pimple marks, freckles etc. This is my first retinoid product.

I bought this together with Alpha-H Liquid gold since everybody is raving about the LG. My skin improved drastically in a few weeks with daily LG and twice a week of this product. No sensitivity, no peeling. I just looked glowing and healthy. I assumed this was due to LG because it had so many good reviews and cost three times as much as The Ordinary. It should work, right? Also, I was expecting some kind of horrible peel with my very first retinoid and it just never happened. After 3-4 weeks makeup wasn't settling on my face though, mostly whatever I put on my face just looked flakey and like above my skin, not on my skin. So I bought a daily scrub and that fixed it completely. But it has never peeled as it was described to me so I assumed the retinoid must be useless, and I should get one of the better ones.

Then I went on a month-long summer trip and left the retinoid behind because I heard sunlight and retinoids don't mix. I kept using the LG daily.

My oh my, my face looked awful when I got back. It just looked sick. So I started using it again, two weeks in and wow I'm getting so many compliments on my glowing skin.

As some other reviewers said, the texture feels like it's difficult to absorb but just put it on your face 15 minutes before you go to bed and you'll be fine. This stuff is the bomb!