Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%
The Ordinary Advanced Retinoid 2%

4.3

on 5/10/2018 12:09:00 AM

This diffinitely beats out the Neutrogena antiwrinkle creams I've used in the past. It's so light and easily absorbed, I love it! It doesn't irritate my skin, but between this and the ordinary's vitamin c serum every morning, my skin has never looked or felt better. If you've tried retinol creams before and didn't like them, I encourage you to try this out. Plus, the price is HALF of what I used to pay for Neutrogena.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

I've been using it for 2 weeks daily (yet my skin isn't irritated) and I feel ready to write a review because I'm seeing results already!! It retails for 6£ and is probably the cheapest retinoid product in the market especially with such high potency. I really love this, my skin feels glowy and even toned. My light scarring and discoloration are slowly fading away. I wake up in the morning with a much smoother and fresher complexion. I keep my skincare routine very minimal, I use a face wash and toner daily, exfoliate 3 times a week, apply this serum daily and add a moisturizer on top, that is all. TO is making a huge difference on my skin texture. I've tried other Retinol products such as the much raved about LRP Redermic R who had zero results on me and even irritated my skin (check my full review) so I'm happy I found TO which actually works and is 5 times cheaper. I've ordered a 2nd bottle.

on 4/27/2018 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Eyyyy, Deciem is really on their game with bringing affordable, high-performance products to the game!

I didn't know TO had a huge cult following behind it when I bought this, I really bought it for the retinol concentration. Retinol has literally performed miracles on my skin, I used to have deep acne scarring that I thought I couldn't get rid of from my life! My skin is prone to discoloration, scarring, etc. Recently the texture of my skin had been getting bumpy, so I pulled this out and tried it.

It comes in a tinted glass bottle with a dropper, and it's really thin and serum-y. This is very unlike other retinols I've used which were usually thick creams or lotions. It dries to a sticky, tacky film that has a bit of shine. I recommend applying it before you go to sleep so you wake up to bright, even toned skin! For less than $10, this is probably the most affordable way of getting the results of a visit to the aesthetician at home!

Was having problematic skin and didn’t know what product to turn to. This is coming from someone who had the clearest of skins. People used to come up close to check my face as to how clear it was. I used to wear minimal make up too. A few years down the line, I noticed my skin started to look off. It was dull and I somehow developed these small under skin bumps. No idea where they came from. It covered well with make up, however, it just wasn’t good enough for me. I had to look into different skin care products to get rid of these bumps. I did a chemical peel and that helped somewhat. But not enough. I changed my skin care routine completely. I decided to try a few The Ordinary products. They were reasonably priced so I didn’t have much to lose. I purchased the Retinol, AHA peel and the Buffet. AHA I do every 10 days as it will be too harsh to use frequently as it’s an exfoliant. I also purchased a hyaluronic acid serum from another brand which I use everyday. All of these products seems to have helped my skin look more alive and glowy. Bumps have gone and I can feel my complexion getting better every day. Finally I found a few products that’s working and getting my good skin back! I read another review in regards to Retinol thinning the skin down the line. Decided to skip the Retinol every night and use it once or twice a week. I also use Vitamin E oil on top of my Hyaluronic acid serum. They all seem to work wonders on skin. Will continue to use the Retinol but not every night. I always use SPF50 but apparently, it’s just not enough to prevent skin damage when using Retinol. I don’t really want to wear a hat everyday either. Loving The Ordinary range.

on 3/22/2018 10:44:00 AM

I don't know why but it works. My skin has not been happy with the majority of The Ordinary's products: they break me out and I find them difficult to apply - they either make my skin uncomfortably sticky, form a film on my skin or just peel off. This product has been a pleasant surprise. I use it at night, after cleansing and toning. I usually don't put anything on top or use some light oil if my skin is flaky. It really helps me to calm any inflammations and heal up my acne. I am not sure if it's retinol or any other ingredient in the formula, but it works and significantly improves overall skin texture. I hope they don't reformulate it.

on 3/15/2018 3:15:00 PM

I think this retinoid is largely responsible for my quickly clearing skin. My acne started from a combination of taking and stopping birth control pills and eating too many nuts and nut butters (nuts are very high in omega 6 fatty acids, which cause internal inflammation). I would keep getting 3-4 new pimples everyday for the past two years.

I started with my internal problems: First I completely quit birth control pills and nuts about two months ago; Second, I started taking Pantothenic Acid supplements (vitamin B5) with every meal. Then I changed my topical products. I've been using this product for about one month now, along with these products:

Morning:
Clindamycin phosphate gel (prescription)
Neutrogena On the Spot 2.5 % benzoyl peroxide

Evening:
Clindamycin phosphate gel
The Ordinary Granactive Retinoid 2%

These products are clarifying and smoothing my bumpy cheeks and forehead. At first, I used this retinoid only 2x a week and gradually built up to 5-6 times per week. I skip this on the days I use glycolic acid products (Herbivore Blue Tansy Resurfacing Mask or CosRx AHA 7 Whitehead Power Liquid). Three drops of the milky serum covers my entire face after toning and left slightly damp. It leaves my skin dewy and balanced, even if I don't layer moisturizer on top. In the morning, my face looks 50% more glow-y and smoother than the night before.

My skin isn't perfect because I have hyperpigmentation from healing acne, but now my face is smoother and almost bump free. I can live with that! Now I can just wear concealer to work and skip a full face of make up on casual days.

on 2/15/2018 1:58:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I tried Retin a once and it made my skin burn and peel, I’m scared to use it again because it made me breakout as well. I tried this retinoid 3 nights in a row and didn’t have any peeling or burning and my skin did feel smoother and looked more even.
This is an amazing product for the price (around 10.00 cdn) considering most retinol products are at least three times the cost. I love the sleek packaging and will continuing using considering it has improved my skin in such a short time.

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

It has changed my skin, evening out the discoloration. Nothing beats retinol! The Ordinary sells Retinol 2%. That has made the most impact on my skin feeling smoother, and definitely and quickly decreasing freckles, discoloration, and hyperpigmentation. It's done this in two weeks, but I am able to use it nightly. Can't recommend enough! The bottle with the dropper works great. Looks great with all my face oils (I buy jojoba, sweet almond, and especially argan oil from Amazon for a steal). The dark bottle protects the ingredients from oxidizing. Many, many products at ten times the price have not had the impact that this does at $10. I have sensitive skin, and even I can use it every night (because of the squalene in it probably).

FavoriteIs this review helpful? YesNo

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wrote a review before but had to rewrite it as the effects of this product changed for the better. This review will be useful to those acne-prone who don't want to have all the retinoid uglies at once, and need to minimize the effects of this product, which is well-tolerated by a majority of people but will cause problems if you tend to break out a lot, or are sensitive to retinoids because you never used any before.

The first time I started using it, I applied it every other night, which is too much if you have never used retinol or retinoids before. Within days, my skin had become a very sensitive mess, and my face was covered with small, painful pimples. I wasn't too pleased and I knew I had to stick to it for several weeks, but I didn't have the time or courage to go through this. I went back to my AHAs and serums with a sigh of relief and stored this in a bag with a bunch of stuff I don't want to use/ consider to give away.

A few months later, I was PMSing and starting to get really tired of my hormonal acne, which was still bad (I don't use any specific long-term treatment). It comes and goes and makes life difficult, especially because I teach to students who are slightly younger than me and still have better skin than I do. Also, the anti-aging benefits sound very appealing. Although I don't need them right now, I'm sure I'll appreciate being preventive when I'm in my 30s. So I decided to re-introduce this product this very progressively in my nighttime routine. This is my retinoid timeline:

Week 1: 1 time /week
Weeks 2-3-4: 2 times/week
Weeks 5-6: 3 times/ week
Week 7 and after: Every other night.

3/4 drops will suffice first; you can add more after the 5th week. (I now use as much as I do a regular serum.)

At the beginning, my skin was sensitive and felt irritated. I got a few pimples, but nothing too crazy or noticeable: I just used a full coverage foundation, or heavy-duty concealer.

It felt extremely dry soon after: thirsty like never before. For reference, I'm usually super duper oily. I made sure not to use a very rich cream (they're usually too occlusive and therefore pore-clogging), but instead I started layering a hydrating serum and a face oil/ a nice moisturizer which I know doesn't clog my pores, like MV Oxygen Moisturizer. I did a lot of moisturizing masks, made sure to drink a lot, used mists and sprays, and stopped using oil-free foundations in favor of richer complexion products that were usually too dewy, like Cle Cosmetics CCC cream, or Zelens Youth Glow. Always use SPF- either replace the moisturizer/ oil with a good SPF Cream, apply some on top of it, or make sure your complexion product has SPF in it.

After a full month, I started appreciating the effects of this product. I now use it every other night. I wake up to a smooth, clearer, brighter complexion. I'm still a bit dry but not flakey, and never irritated. Also, I had to stop using AHAs so much, I now do around once a week on nights where I don't use the Advanced Retinoid 2%. I make sure to moisturize well on other nights, taking time to re-build my skin's barrier.

All in all, I think this is worth it. I have some discoloration that I hope will fade completely. I'll probably start using the Vit C cream from the same brand in the morning for added brightening benefits, and I'll try a more potent retinol product such as Shani Darden's when I'm finished with this.

on 10/31/2017 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

There really isn't any reason not to try this.