Essence Pure Nude Highlighter

Essence Pure Nude Highlighter

4.5

This is a lovely natural glow from within highlighter but it caused irritation and a rosacea flare for me. Looking at the ingredients, it was most likely the sunflower seed oil. Some plant oils can irritate my rosacea but this was quite cheap at least.

I don't get the hype for this product. I really wanted to like it but I could not. It is too dark for my skin tone. I am not fair. Asian with a tan so I am pretty dark. It is not fluttering on my skin tone at all. I now use it on my shoulders and knees. Don't want to waste the money. The powder is pretty finely milled. That's a good thing.

I bought this because it was a heavily hyped product on youtube. It gives off a more subtle sheen, but not as subtle as Reserve Your Cabana from Wet 'n Wild. I found myself kind of disappointed with this. I feel the effect of the finger swatch was not being replicated on my face, and I was just getting a slightly-peach toned blur. I don't get the hype with this one.

This does have a nice non-glittery glow to it but unfortunately the shade is much too dark for my pale skin. SO sad, they need to offer other shades in this and it would be perfect!

on 8/29/2017 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I wanted to love this so bad, after hearing all of the good reviews about it. However, it just didn't work on my skin tone. This pulled really warm and orange on me. It was a super noticeable stripe on my face rather than a natural looking highlight, as I wanted.

I have very pale, cool olive skin, and makeup colors often seem to pull oddly on me. However, the formula of this was really very good, and the price is great. If this works for your skin tone, then go for it. It doesn't work on everyone though.

on 8/1/2017 5:18:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Other

i wanted to keep this with me so bad! i bought it because of the awesome reviews. i have fair skin, and i kinda expected it to be a little too dark for my face but i still had hopes about making it work as i've read from others that you CAN make it work for fair skin, but upon using it, i figured it just can't work for my skintone and unfortunately had to return it. i love how it looked, it wasn't crazy shimmery and just perfect for someone who wants a natural glow! i haven't used it enough to know if it's buildable, but i am sure you can. if they had more shades i'd definitely buy it again!

on 5/26/2017 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

Bought this based on what I had seen here and on youtube, and it's not bad. For the price (around $5), it's certainly worth trying - the packaging is sturdy and there's ample product. But it's not my favorite Ulta/drugstore highlighter. For me it isn't quite light enough - I'm pretty pale and it doesn't really brighten or highlight for me. It doesn't look terrible but it just doesn't achieve what a highlighter should. It doesn't really add a glow; if anything it's a little closer to a bronzer. I suspect that it's meant to be subtle, so for the right skin tone this might be a great day-to-day product for a natural sort of glow, but on me it's just another layer of powdered product which I fear runs the risk of emphasizing flaws, dulling my complexion, etc. In this price range, I am a bigger fan of Makeup Revolution's baked highlighter, which is available in multiple shades.

This product looked muddled on my face, instead of making my skin look dewy or glowing. I have huge pores, and this emphasized them. It was a pretty color, with plenty of product for the low price. It does look FABULOUS on my decollete! Give it a powerful all-over glow that I love in the summertime!

on 1/6/2017 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

My HG highlighter is from elf and I think it's discontinued (Pinktastic baked blush) so I was on the hunt for a new highlight under $10 !! I'm an NC15 and I thought this would be too dark, but with the tiniest amount you can't even tell that it's way too dark for my skin. For pale people, I would recommend the lightest usage possible. For those who can use it across the entire face, it might be comparable to the hourglass ambient lighting powders. It has a soft sheen, almost no glitter and is just SUPER beautiful

EDIT:

I would honestly rather used E.L.F's moonlight pearls over this now because it's just too orange. I want to love it but it's like a shimmer bronzer, and it doesn't even look good as an eyeshadow.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I've been having a hard time with highlighters. It is really very difficult to find one light enough to actually LOOK like a highlight on me. I'm fair yellow/olive with nearly black hair and grey eyes.

This is a soft, glowy powder in a peachy/champagne color, but it's too dark for my skin. It looks more like a subtle-peachy bronzer or blush topper on me, but is too dark for highlighting. On light-medium and darker skin ones this would look really pretty.

This also does accentuate pores if I apply it above my eyebrows.

I can only see myself using it lightly dusted on high spots like an all over bronzer/luminous finishing powder. I wasn't really looking for that kind of product though, so I won't be repurchasing.