Giorgio Armani Eccentrico Mascara

Giorgio Armani Eccentrico Mascara

3.3

on 9/18/2017 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

I purchased this mascara based on a rave in NYMag and was sorely disappointed. I've purchased GA EtK mascara in both the regular and waterproof formulas in the past, and this didn't seem to be much better than those in delivering thicker, longer, lashes. The formula was on the wet side and the brush was good at separating at lengthening, but not at delivering volume. I was hoping this would be my new favorite to replace Chanel Le Volume but it was nowhere close.

on 4/27/2017 1:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

At first, I thought I like!! I never thought I would (the brush made me think about the Chanel-volume, which I do not like, but the Armani one is less wet and thus buildable).

Does not clump or flake, gives volume and length. So far, so good.

No curl though (and I refuse to use an eyelash curler). And as the day passes buy, I see my lashes pointing down...

Will not repurchase. Good but not super.

on 11/14/2016 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Eccentrico Mascara debuted in 2016 and I chose it as one of my three mascaras during Nordstrom's Mascara Madness, so I essentially got it for free. Normally it retails for $32. It comes in a sleek red-and-black tube and the red cap is easy to spot among all my other makeup in the morning. This mascara performed really well for me, but it isn’t waterproof, so I won’t be wearing it to a beach party or water park. However, for average days at the office, it holds up exceptionally well and gives me longer, thicker lashes. The elastomer brush is designed to prevent clumping.

PROS:

1) No noticeable fragrance (fragrance has a tendency to irritate my eyes).
2) The clump-resistant brush makes this easy to apply without making a huge mess on the eyelids or under the eyes.
3) Without lash primer, I was able to build ample length and volume.
4) With lash primer, I was able to build more volume.
5) The red-and-black packaging looks a lot more elegant than L'Oreal's drugstore offerings. (If they are going to charge $32, the tube should look more posh than something from Maybelline, and it does.)
6) Comes off easily when I wash with First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser. No need for special makeup remover.
7) No smudging or flaking.
8) Holds a curl, though not as well as Urban Decay Cannonball.
9) Fragrance free
10) I bought this in Obsidian Black, which is dark enough, even when I do a smoky eye, but it does come in brown, too, for people who prefer a lighter color.

CONS:

1) Expensive. L’Oreal owns Giorgio Armani (and a long list of other brands). So when you buy an expensive brand like this, it’s worth mentioning that the same corporation also manufactures and sells much cheaper drugstore mascaras under the brand names Maybelline and L’Oreal. We are paying for the name and pretty packaging, but not necessarily a better formula in all cases.

2) This is a minor point, but I’m accustomed to being able to re-apply another coat of Charlotte Tilbury’s Full Fat Lashes after it’s dried, and I can’t really do the same thing with this. I can build Eccentrico up a lot when it’s wet, but once it’s dried, that’s it. Eccentrico becomes slightly stiff and doesn’t handle additional coats well.

3) Armani is not a cruelty free brand, so my dear friend who is vegan won't consider it. I plan to review Pacifica Stellar Gaze or Aquarian Gaze next.

Summary:

I've tried several department store mascaras this year, and Eccentrico is one of the best new mascaras I've tried. I am giving this a high rating even though there are good drugstore mascaras you can buy for a fraction of the cost. I personally prefer Full Fat Lashes because I like the way the brush fans out my lashes, and I can add another coat after it dries. However, Eccentrico has a lot going for it. The elastomer wand resists clumps and the formula doesn't smudge or flake. It's not waterproof, so it removes easily with face cleanser and water at the end of the day.