Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.6

on 4/29/2017 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is a weird product and I hated it the first few times I tried it. I have melasma (hyperpigmentation) on my upper lip, which looks like a mustache and I have tried everything to lighten it with no results (or just light fading). I got this product and kept trying to figure out how to wear it under sunscreen in the am like you are supposed to do with a vitamin c product, it didn't rub in, it pulled horribly and I felt like I was just rubbing it all off. I watched a video where the lady said that anything with this high of a vitamin c should be worn at night as the formula can't be elegant due to the high amount of vitamin c. I use it at night every other night for 2 nights now and I have never seen such a lightening effect from a product and so fast! I've used it twice now this way and it still pulls like crazy but I just throw an oil on afterwards and pat it in trying to keep as much product on my skin as possible. If a product can be life changing then this is it but you may hate it at first until you figure out how to make it work for you.

on 3/16/2017 10:01:00 AM

This is the shit. Dirt cheap and insanely effective. Please be careful if you have sensitive skin or aren't used to Vit C products. My skin is super inured to crazy things being slapped upon its surface, and even I experience semi-uncomfortable tingling/itching when I apply this. The texture is problematic and it's not pleasurable to use. But this is doing WORK on my hyperpigmentation, clarity, and texture. And that's what I want. I have used at least 5 different kinds of Vit C serums in the past, including Skinceuticals, and not only has this been the most bang for my buck, it has honestly been the most effective.

I use this at night, as my last step. Most of the time I don't use moisturizer over it, since putting literally anything over it is texture hell. But the hyaluronic acid keeps my skin moist. It does take a little while to absorb and you won't look great, but hey, if you use it before bed, it'll be dark right?

The coconut derivatives haven't broken me out in this formulation, and coconut stuff has broken me out in the past.

Seriously recommend if you think your skin can handle it.

on 1/11/2017 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Just started using this a few days ago so it's a bit early to see results. Will update on results in about 30 days. Right now I'm just reviewing on formula, packaging and price.

First I like tube that it comes in. It's safe from light exposure and no messy dropper. Second I like that there is very little scent and whatever scent there is seems to be the natural odor of the ingredients so no added perfumes or fragrances. It's sort of like a thick serum and it does take quite awhile to absorb so for that reason I would probably use this in the evening as I don't have time to sit around waiting for something to absorb in the morning.

There is a noticeable sting when it is first applied but contrary to what a previous reviewer says, Deciem DID NOT create this serum with intention that it be diluted. Here is what they actually say on their website:

1) A very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin's tolerance to such high exposure is elevated;

2) The powder exposure to the skin disallows the formula to feel like a serum, lotion or cream and each application requires a few seconds to feel absorbed by the skin. If desired, this formula can be diluted in a cream base per application to allow the skin to build tolerance over time.

So basically there will be stinging but it's shouldn't be irritating so using it full strength directly from the tube is perfectly safe. However if it stings too much or takes too long to absorb then you can dilute it. If not diluting then remember that a little goes a long way. I used too much the first time and 30 minutes later my skin still felt oily and tacky.

All of the ingredients are listed on the box that the tube comes in and the price is amazing. As long as I don't have any adverse reactions to this product I can't think of any reason to not repurchase.

Edit 15/06/17

I've pretty much stopped using this and I'm not sure if I will repurchase. I can't get used to the way it just sits on my face. Using it in the morning is out of the question because it just doesn't absorb and I can't put cosmetics on top of it. I don't like using it in the evening because that's when I apply my other active products. I get that by not using water or silicone as a base the product remains stable and retains it's strength but I just can't get used to it. I have gone back to using my old vit c serums. I might try this again after the summer as I do like the price.

on 6/16/2017 6:21:00 AM

edit: changed my rating from a 5 to a 3 on this one because I noticed that this will burn and itch my skin when it's drier than usual (I'm combo skin but my skin gets dry in winter). I prefer the new vit c in silicone and I wouldn't repurchase this one. I read quite mixed reviews about this vitamin C so I was quite nervous to try it out. The main problems seemed to be the grainy texture, burning on the skin and makeup not sitting properly or balling up on top of this.

I want to start off by saying that I love this vitamin C. I have combination skin, used to be quite acne prone but I have that under control for the most part. Here's my experience -

Because of the way some reviews described the grainy texture, I was actually expecting this to feel like a sugar scrub. It actually feels like super fine sand mixed with lotion. I don't think even that description is quite accurate because this dissolved when applied to my skin and slightly rubbed in, but it didn't feel harsh, like I was exfoliating with sand. I understand the reasons that they have this vitamin C in suspension form, so am happy to use it this way.

I had no issues with burning. I did feel a slight heating up on my face, but no tingling. I have used vitamin C products, retinol and chemical exfoliatants so maybe my skin is accustomed. I used to have sensitive skin so was expecting major burning, but this was a pleasant experience.

As for makeup, I let the vitamin C sit for about 2 minutes before applying the silicone primer by the Ordinary. The I used my loreal infallible makeup. I didn't notice any balling up at all. I also love the way the makeup looked over that primer.

As for the product performance, I have noticed an overall brightening of my skin and more even tone overall. I'm hoping that it helps to fade some of my older pigmentation but time will tell.

Will definitely be repurchasing this product and i'm extremely happy overall.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

I wanted so badly for this product to help with my acne scarring and pigmentation but alas it has been over a month and I'm not seeing much change, on top of that the gritty texture of the formulation doesn't help its cause.

For those who love the product and are seeing results, I've read that it helps to have your skin super hydrated before applying the Vitamin C (toner beforehand) and another tip was to mix it with a Hyaluronic acid product, apparently that helps with the absorption as well (this tip was provided by someone who works at The Ordinary to a beauty blogger). But basically the grittiness was on purpose as it's a more powerful dose for our skin.

Good luck to those seeing results! Will not be repurchasing this one.

on 6/22/2017 10:13:00 PM

This stuff burns so bad. I couldn't stand it after the 3rd night. What a waste. It broke me out causing me to have a couple of large pimples on my cheeks. I had high hopes.

on 6/4/2018 3:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

This was my first product of this brand. I just love it because it is so effective. It also contains squalane which does wonders to my skin. I wear this at night because of its oily grainy texture which needs quite some time to absorb.
Whenever I have a huge breakout this is a godsend. Next morning I either have no blemishes at all or everything is soo much better and calmer. It brightens the skin like no other product I've ever used.
I will most surely repurchace

on 2/15/2018 1:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

Ugh I wanted to love this. Good Vitamin C serums are usually so expensive and oxidize like crazy. Right off the bat I hated the texture and how it went on my skin. Look I go to bed coated with Aquaphor some nights, so I don't mind being greasy while I sleep or even if I'm at home during the day time. But the greasiness of this was annoying for some reason, and gritty. I also had an uncomfortable tingling sensation the first few times I put this on, but I had expected that. But hey, if it worked in the long run, who cares right? Immediately something was amiss. Just a few hours after I put this on I had beginnings of an inflamed pimple, which I hadn't in a while. Okay, maybe it was something else in my routine. I soldiered on for a while and eventually gave up to focus on my new pimples that were popping up. They subsided. I think I even threw the tube away. But a year or so later, I was tempted again again by some really good reviews and thought maybe I hadn't given this a fair chance. Stupid me buys this exact same thing again (I must say this is not the first time I've gone to products which were probably/most definitely breaking me out. I don't know why I still haven't learned my lesson). Anyway, this time I started slow. I started mixing this with a moisturizer and used it every third day. Yup, same thing again. Oh well, I guess an inexpensive Vitamin C serum isn't in my cards.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I like this stuff. A lot. I know the texture is grainy, and the packaging not great, but the cost and how it make my skin look is more than worth it. It is recommended to use this as a night treatment anyway so I have no issues with how it looks under makeup. I put this on a clean face, and the first few times I used it it was very tingly - almost uncomfortably so. It's a similar feeling to the green apple Peel if you have ever used that. If you fan you face for a few minutes tho it's fine. The next morning my skin looks amazing. Clear, glowing and even. The change in my skin since switching to The Original regime has been remarkable.

on 8/14/2017 4:25:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Initially, the texture of this product turn me off. Then I tried applying it with a slightly damp face or when I had just applied a moisturizing toner. This helps break up the grit and help it sink into your skin. I still only use this at night but I definitely see results.