Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.4

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Now I have to admit I'm definitely no stranger to Vit C serums (GOW 23% for example) and so I thought nothing could possibly go wrong with The Ordinary's 23% concentration... but boy was I wrong. Within 60 seconds of applying this gritty and very oily-feeling product I could no longer stand the tingling (for want of a better word) sensation and washed this off with tepid water and a washcloth. I'd love to say that was it but the redness and uncomfortable sensation remained for at least 30 minutes afterwards. Didn't attempt using this again on my face.

It's a shame as this could have been a very cost effective substitute for some of the fancier Vit C serums I use. If you're normal to dry and not overly sensitive then give this a try. It's pretty inexpensive for a Vit C product and won't leave you out of pocket if it doesn't agree with you.

Turns out there is some way to salvage this, at least in my case. Have used very lightly mixed with a dab of Aveeno lotion and applied to elbows and knees. No difference so far (7th night) but promisingly no reaction either so will continue until used up.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am 51 with modest wrinkles starting, horizontal wrinkles, vertical wrinkles due to sagging skin and lack of moisture wrinkles that I've always had. My regular skincare was Asian (actually Chinese, cheaper than Korean but same effects). I have used a combination of Ordinary products for over a month. It did absolutely nothing for me. If at all my skin looks worse because its not hydrated enough. Non of my wrinkles have improved not even the lack of moisture ones which usually improve with even the cheapest moisturizer. Back to my much beloved Asian skincare.

What I have used: Matrixyl 10%, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate and Natural Moisturizing factors + Ha. I have also used the Vitamin C Suspension 23% and the Caffeine eye treatment but I binned those right away because the Caffeine made my eyes look worse and the C suspension smells like plastic and is even more uncomfortable on the skin than the other stuff.

on 11/13/2018 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

In my search of a vitamin C serum, I came across this. What drew me to this: price, 23% vitamin C. hyaluronic acid, and squalane, my favourite oil.

I apply this either as a serum or a mask in the morning.
- If I have time, I will do the mask: few drops of toner on my face to help with absorption > mix 1 part toner with 2 parts Vit C suspension > wait 15 min. > cleanser > rest of my routine. (The vit C mask was inspired by Lixir vitamin C wash off mask.)
- If I'm in a rush: cleanse > few drops of toner > mix 1 part toner with 2 parts Vit C suspension > rest of routine.

Application
-When applying it, it feels like a light cream.
-My skin is familiar with acids, so I don't feel anything. It stings a lot on open wounds though.
-I don't feel much grittiness either when I use it full strength. I only felt 1 - 3 tiny granules when I rub it in - no big deal. Maybe the formulation has improved?
-It leaves a slightly waxy feel and shine on skin. No stickiness. I don't know why others were complaining about the greasiness.
-Do note that if you leave it on your face, when you wash your face at night, you may find a light orange brown stain on your towel. It didn't leave a noticeable tint on my face. This usually happens when I'm outdoors for a few hours. I currently live in a highly polluted area where the AQI can exceed 100 during working hours. It didn't happen when I stay indoors.

Results
-I've been neglecting my skin for a while, so there were a couple of acne pigmentation on my face. This helped fade the marks fast. I see results after five days - I was pleasantly surprised to see a red post acne scab disappear completely leaving no marks behind. Note that it's a very recent acne scar. I find that vitamin C takes a longer time to heal old acne scars.

Pros:
-Cheap
-Squalane
-hyaluronic acid - the proper sodium one, not some fancy crosspolymer that's not found in skin
-23% vitamin C, a proven ingredient for lightening hyperpigmentation, boosting collagen and providing high antioxidant activity
-good texture, little grittiness, no tackiness, sinks into skin, slight waxy shine

Cons
-Hmmm ... you unluckily received a highly gritty product?

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Yes, I agree that it is gritty, that it smells funny and that the oily liquid texture is prone to leaking out of the tube, but this single treatment is the one I ordered over 5 bottles of and have gifted them to friends. It works, as simple as that. DECIEM tells you that you can mix this with the hydrators (AAC is water soluble but not stable once in contact with water) to smoothen out the texture and it works! Try adding a couple of drops of any of their watery serum to your VC next time, it turns into a gel-cream texture that is very easy to smooth on. After using only two nights, my redness and recent breakouts have calmed down dramatically. I also woke up to brighter, more even-looking skin that needed less foundation! Do use more sunscreen than usual since you have to protect your skin as well as maintaining it with actives. I recommend this product to anyone looking to keeping their collagen level intact and who have dull looking skin.

on 10/25/2018 4:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I just can't get on with this product.
The grits feel really unpleasant and I can't see any difference in my skin - if anything my blocked pores seem to have gotten worse?
I will try one of the ascorbic acid serums instead.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This product really cannot be worn under makeup,or even at night,for me.
It remains sticky and gritty and I cannot possibly see putting anything over it
without it being a disaster,and it would rub off onto my pillowcase if I used it
at night.

That said,I have found a use for it. If I am home during the day,I will put it on as
a mask and leave on for as long as I can....I figure my skin will get some of the Vit C
benefits,so it's not a total loss.

Will not repurchase this,but looking forward to trying the Vit C powder,as I love
the Philosophy one.

No big deal in trying this,it's cheap enough

on 9/5/2018 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I jumped on the Ordinary bandwagon and just went crazy. By far, this brand is one of the best skincare finds of the century. Most of the products worked well for me and considering the price, I really don't have any complaints. However, as always, some products work better than others.

This one falls to the bottom of the pack for me, for the same reason as the Alpha Lipoic Acid. It works but it's just too unpleasant to use. The grainy bits disappear when I use it with a moisturiser but even then, it stings and it sits heavily on the skin for quite a long time, not really absorbing.

on 8/28/2018 8:40:00 PM

This is wonderful ,what it contains and for THAT price!!!
Yes;i have skipped Paulas Choice& im ceratnly not the obly one!,they are not the old slogan company that claimed :Everyone should afford good skincare company.
But enough about them.
I have very dry skin.
I mix the buffe serum %matrixyl serum and put it on my face.I then i blend a mix of TO oils and mix it with this amazing mosituraizer.
I let the cream get little vaem in my hand first.
Im so happy for the ordinary(for me they ate pc now).

on 8/25/2018 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I would not repurchase. This is a mediocre product at best. It's gritty, can sting, and doesn't mix well with other products. I used an entire tube and it had no impact on my skin. I love vitamin C serums for brightening, but much prefer other brands. I've tried a number of The Ordinary's products and none have worked for me. Maybe this line just isn't for me.

Well, despite being powerful, most of the Ordinary products are not elegant looking on the skin, including this one. It applies shiny and sticky and catches your hair. Also, it transfers everywhere. I mix it with Avene skin recovery cream to dilute it and to avoid the gritty-ness. In this way, it doesn't really tingle. Sometimes I mix it with the Ordinary 0.5% retinoid. It doesn't tingle but feels gritty. But I think I would try something lighter later on to cut down the greasiness. The package is not smart as the product keeps leaking out. But I guess the suspension form combining the package does help to stop vitamin C from oxidising because the product I squeeze out is white but the residue around the opening hole has turned yellow. And this is important for a VC product! I've only used it on and off for a month so I am not sure about the effect. But I might update.