Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.6

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: Woooo look at all the thumbs down after i said dont PM me about this. We have some real Einsteins on here!

11/6/2016: Please do not message me regarding this product...some of you don't understand what "dilute" means and I am scared for your skin's future. :\ :\ :\

------------
My face seems to hate plant based ingredients so I am trying to manipulate a way to use vitamin c on it. With that being said, I bought this for my body and lips. It was so good I actually bought 5 back ups on the next order after waiting a month for Deciem to restock it. The first time I ordered it was in a dropper bottle, this time around it is in a tube because people had issues getting the very last bit out. I didn't mind the original packaging but it is nice Deciem listens to complaints from customers.

Vitamin c is a powerful antioxidant. So it can reverse free radical damage on the skin along with UVA damage from the sun. Antioxidants help boost the efficiency of sun protection so I suggest wearing this during the daytime under sunscreen if possible. Additionally vitamin c is known for its ability to generate collagen synthesis, which is why I bother putting it on my lips. It's a great product to use on my body after dermarolling because it will aid in producing collagen and smoothing out my stretchmarks. It's also great for your hands and neck since they are usually the most neglected yet earliest to show signs of aging.

23% L-Aa is very strong. Studies have proven it only takes 10% to create results. Deciem created this product with the intention of customers diluting it in a base (such as your daily moisturizer). So if you feel it is stinging your face just dilute it. The stinging/burning sensation is even expected by Deciem/The Ordinary. It's just very strong. You'll get even more bang for your buck...on top of the fact the product is dirt cheap to begin with. If you are new to trying out vit c work your way up from 5% in strength until you know how your skin reacts.

The biggest reason The Ordinary's formulation gets my vote is they offer an anhydrous formula. Meaning it is water-free, and therefore a lot more stable than traditional vitamin c serums on the market. Vitamin c mixed with water is typically unstable and I've had plenty of $$$ vitamin c products turn before. Hell, my expensive Skinceuticals one oxidized before I could even use it.

Now for the cons... my biggest complaint by far is the fact they added coconut derivatives to the ingredient list. Most acne-prone skintypes will find the Coconut Alkanes and Coco-Caprylate/Caprate in this to be problematic. Since I only use this on my body and I don't tend to break out there, it's not a deal breaker for me. Squalane is also high up on the list, which is an oil. I'm not sure if Deciem is using a shark or olive based source but I'd just keep that in mind if you're prone to clogs from it.

I should note some people will hate the hyaluronic acid in this formulation, although most people find it to be a huge pro. Hyaluronic acid is known for it's ability to retain huge amounts of moisture BUT can potentially suck the moisture out of your skin if applied in the wrong conditions. With all skincare --- your mileage may vary.

I will repurchase for my body and lips.

---
Editing to add the ingredient list incase this helps anyone:

on 11/11/2016 12:40:00 PM

This stuff is fantastic. I have to thank Makeup Alley for pointing me toward this product when I was considering serums. I've bought five products from this line in the last month or so and will probably buy more. The prices in The Ordinary line are very low, too, which helps when you're trying new products.

The last person who gave me a facial told me my skin was pretty good, but I've always had issues with it—some acne, freckles and other sun damage, and a few persistent whiteheads which seemed destined only to grow with time—and I'm in my 40s, so soon wrinkles are going to join the "fun." As a general thing, the most I expect from skin care is to hold the line, as it were, and not make any of these things worse.

I've been using this treatment for about a month now, and the results have been amazing. All the things I mentioned above are getting visibly better, to the point that I've been using less foundation and even pulled the tinted moisturizer I was never confident enough to use from its place under the sink. (I've been using the vitamin C in conjunction with The Ordinary's rosehip seed oil, so I'm not sure the vitamin C can take all the credit!). Used regularly, this seems to be a legitimate route to better skin, and at a great price.

on 8/12/2017 7:17:00 AM

These are excerpts from a more detailed review I did (on about Pg 5 or 6 under “Suez777”).

Yes this product is initially not pleasant to use. It's a “dry” (ie: waterless) formula which needs moisture to break down the Vitamin C crystals, hence the inclusion of moisture-attracting Hyaluronic Acid (among other things). Water in Vitamin C formulations is problematic because it can cause the product to oxidise, turning it yellow, deep orange or brown. Once this happens it chemically changes from an ANTI-oxidant, which will prevent free radicals from damaging the cells of your skin to a PRO-oxidant which, in short, *encourages* free radicals to damage your skin.

Being 23% this can REALLY sting on first application when your skin is not used to such a high concentration. But if you smooth on an additional layer of Hyaluronic Acid first (which The Ordinary stock, and which this product already contains) then, before it dries add the C23, it eliminates the stinging immediately - GONE within 10 seconds!
This method is far superior to applying to damp skin (which, on me, only lessened the sting a fraction) or mixing with a moisturiser (which will impede maximum absorption).

I've very comfortably been able to use this C23 six or seven times since adding the extra HA layer, and also found that it in no way interfered with my skin’s ability to get accustomed to this high a dose of Vitamin C. Out of curiosity, I recently tried it without, and I'm happy to report that my skin has fully acclimatised and it felt just as comfortable as it had WITH the HA layer.

So I'd say to anyone thinking they're going to have to give up on this product because it's too hard to initially tolerate - the addition of extra hyaluronic acid at first will ease the transition until your skin gets used to it.

And persistence will be rewarded - after only a few applications your skin will be noticeably brighter and more even-toned, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results after 3 months.

I'd also suggest only using this at night so you can just wait for it to absorb instead of trying to rub it in. The gritty texture is going to act like an exfoliant which (combined with an already-powerful product) will likely become an irritant pretty quickly and may inflame your skin.
Once you wait 20 or 30 minutes I find the addition of a moisturizer seems to assist with the final stages of absorption (of both products). And again, just let them both sink in (don't rub).

NB: I also find that a richer, thicker emollient moisturizer helps it all to soak in - sometimes even two coats of moisturizer if there are still a few granules yet to be absorbed. (And slather it on. Skin seems to drink up moisturizer after applying the C23).

on 1/1/2018 3:34:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Ok, I will admit, this stings a bit, which is usually a sign of irritation for me. However, damn this makes my skin look nice. My skin concerns are dullness, hyper-pigmentation and aging, lets face it, I am 54 and my skin will never look ageless; but I want to take care of it the best that I can so I can put off the 1-time face-lift for as long as possible. I love this product and use several other Deciem products as well. I am a smoker and tanned like a mad-woman until I hit my mid 30's. I am lucky to have been spared, I should have much more damage than I do. I have some age spots on the left side of my face from driving (I was a field agent for 10.5 years and drove 500-1000 miles weekly). Even with heavy duty sunscreen this is no surprise. When I sold my soul and took a management promotion I asked for an office with a north facing window. The sun has f**ked my skin up more than anything else in life but I will not stay indoors because the sun warms my soul. This product makes my skin tone appear way more even. I don't expect the age spots will go away without being zapped with some type of laser but this product makes it easier to conceal spots all day under makeup. My mother always preached the benefits of Vitamin C and as usual, she was right, God rest her soul. I wouldn't use this if I didn't wear major sunblock but I do, every day, even if it's just to get the mail. Sensitive types may want to mix this with a mild serum, but I am thick skinned and can take the sting. Spot test before using. I would recommend this product, it's cheap AF and delivers in spades.

on 5/2/2017 8:50:00 PM

Another stellar formula from the Ordinary. I have been using Vitamin C products for around 20 years(!!). I can honestly say that my skin looks brighter and firmer after a month of use.

This stuff is strong! But that's why it's so effective.If you are new to Vit C products or want to take it slow, try adding some of the Ordinary Hyaluronic serum to a very small amount of the Vit C and apply to mostly dry skin. Customer service at Deciem says this will not effect the Vit C's ability to absorb into the skin. This will also make it feel less grainy going on.

I'm honestly not sure why people are complaining about the texture, as they are very upfront about this in the description of the product, and the reason they decided to make it this way ( it's 100% stable and potent) The grainy texture goes away pretty quickly after application, and I found a little goes a long way, using less also makes it absorb more quickly.

I can use this during the day, although my oily T zone skin does look more oily than normal. For this reason, and to keep things less complicated I'll continue to use every other night, more or less.

Overall I love it!

on 3/8/2017 1:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

First of all this is a highly concentrated form of vitamin C and Hylaronic Acid. This means that if your skin can tolerate it then it will work extremely well. This is the only vitamin C that I have used that has had noticeable positive effects on my skin!

I have an extremely oily T zone and normal cheeks and I use this all over my face on most nights im not being lazy. I dont have sensitive skin so I only felt and extremely light tingle around my nose area but there was no sting and this only happened on maybe the first 4 days. If you have sensitive skin then mix some into your moisturiser just before you put in on your face and you can also spritz your face with water or even better some thermal water if you have it. This is suitable for all skin types only extremely sensitive people should probably stay away.

Ok so for starters, Vitamin C in its natural form is a powder. Yes this means it is gritty, yes this will pill if not used correctly and it will also be oily as powder will take longer to sink into the skin. Although in saying this the grit is very mild (not like a physical exfoliant level). For it not to pill you need to make sure you are layering your other products around it correctly and that you are allowing enough time inbetween each item for them to sink in and not be on top of your skin. For these reasons I will only use this at night or if I am hanging at home for a few hours. Only water based very light products can be used before this e.g. Essence, Toner, and I use The Ordinary Buffet peptide serum. Before putting the vitamin C on make sure you wait about 10 minutes if using these products before hand.

Now onto application. Less is absolutely more with this product. Open it upside down so that a heap doesnt fall out when you squeeze it as its very runny. You'll probably want less than a 5 cent piece. If you use more than this then it will be extremely greasy and take FOREVER to sink into the skin. If you use this small amount then your skin should look shiny although not have a smooth oily texture. It will be gritty to touch if applied properly. Now you also cannot rub it in! This will pill because its powder, makes sense right! Gently push it into your skin quickly, this will ensure no pill.

After half an hour the vitamin C will have melted into your skin through its own water content and then you can apply your oil or moisturiser as per normal pill free.

When I wake up of a morning my face is noticeably brighter, plumper, smoother and more even toned. This really is a miricle product even if it cost over $100 to buy I would still probably buy it. I costs $9.90 AUD though so you may as well give it a go to see if it does work for you. I am going to purchase another 3 bottle's to have on stand buy incase for some reason I am unable to get it again. Please use it as I have described above as some of the other comments I can see that people are not using it correctly. This is HOLY GRAIL!

on 4/2/2017 10:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Edit: I didn't use it for the full 4 weeks. It's just too grainy. I've started mixing it half and half with Hada Labo's Premium HA. It works like a dream as a face mask. I use it in the a.m. when I get up for about an hour and rinse off in the shower.

Pros:

1. Good level of Vitamin C
2. Dirt cheap
3. I like the tube packaging way better than droppers
4. It's not going to go bad and oxidize quickly like 99% of C serums I see on the shelves
5. After two or three nights in a row it doesn't sting, even around my lips (edit: it started to around my nose)

Cons:

1. The grit. I just accept it and wait 20 minutes or so and it's gone
2. It's fairly greasy and stays that way until morning
3. It's waaaaay too strong to use on my neck and chest, even when diluted to 1/4 strength or less
4. It makes my chin break out terribly - to be fair, all exfoliating products do - so I have to skip that area

I haven't used it consistently but will start this week, so I'm not sure if it's effective. A decent percent of people do not respond to Vitamin C and from using even good C serums in the past I think I'm one of them, unfortunately.

I can throw a Japanese hyaluronic acid serum over this and seal it in with some CeraVe cream if I'm not too lazy and it feels better and less greasy, so that's an option of you don't want to head to bed with a shiny face.

I will update after using it for four weeks.

on 9/23/2017 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

There's almost an equal amount of love/hate for this product. I'm firmly in the love camp: I feel like I'm getting the benefits of a peel without any of the peeling! I've been using Skinceuticals CE+Ferulic for years, and I've been paying the big money because I thought it was really protecting my skin from sun damage. However, since moving to the beach it's not working that well, even though I'm fanatical about wearing sunscreen, a hat & glasses. When the price went up to $165, I put my foot down. I'm tired of spending a fortune on skincare. My skin is dry. It used to be sensitive, but is now pretty strong from daily Vit. C and weekly glycolic acid.

I chose this suspension because it was the only one from The Ordinary that didn't have silicones. As suggested on the website's regimen guide, I'm using this at night. (I bought the Resveratrol + Ferulic for day, and I'll review that once I've been using it longer. It's taking a lot of discipline to try these products one at a time!)

I was planning to start with a patch test, but when I didn't experience any burning I ended up putting it all over. I shake the tube, squeeze out a pea-sized amount, and spread it across my fingertips. That covers my face, neck, and chest. Make sure your face is dry -- I think water may exacerbate the burning sensation. I expected to feel major grittiness, but honestly, the powder in the formula is super-fine and was barely noticeable. It is also odorless. I gently massage the product in, and it all absorbs into my skin rather quickly. Don't use too much. After it absorbs, I top it with hyaluronic acid and moisturizer. (Love the squalane!) The only times I've felt any tingling was when I had a scratch near my eyebrow, and one time when I spritzed water on my face after applying the serum.

Even after the first use, I saw a difference in the morning. My skin was bright and glowy. Every morning my brown spots are more faded, and my skin is soft and clear. There is no dryness or flakiness. I've purchased the Ordinary's alpha arbutin to deal with brown spots, but I haven't added it to my regimen yet. But I'm really amazed at the results I'm getting from this one, inexpensive serum. It's a winner in my book!

on 3/10/2017 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I'm on my second bottle of this. it's an excellent certain value. As you should with anything new, patch test and work your way up slowly. Don't let the price tag fool you: This is powerful stuff! I've found it to be very effective. The only reason I give it 4/5 instead of 5 is because it leaves a greasy film, so I can only use it at night unless I don't mind walking around looking like a greaseball during the day. It definitely has a gritty texture, byt I like it enough to get used to that. I'm Caucasian with normal, acne-prone, sensitive skin, and I'm 39 years old.

on 6/10/2017 3:45:00 AM

This is a HG for me. After only a few uses removed my pigmentations. My skin looks very young, healthy and glowy. This is an amazing product at a ridiculous price. I Love this stuff! Thank you so much DECIEM