Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Filtered by eye Color : Green
Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.6

I really like this product and actually think the brightening effects are more noticeable than with The Ordinary Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate (a vitamin C derivative), which surprised me because the latter is more pricey and has much better reviews on MUA. So far, I think I'd be more likely to repurchase the Vitamin C Suspension because I simply think it works better for me.

For the cons, this product is indeed gritty, and it is a little unpleasant to apply for that reason. I definitely would not want to use this product during the day. I don't wash my face in the morning, and I can report that by the morning the grittiness isn't the slightest bit noticeable, and it doesn't affect my makeup application at all. I'm only really aware of it when I first apply it. It would be a problem for me if in the morning I still felt the little grains on my face, but this isn't the case.

This product also feels kind of intense, your face feels kind of warm when you first apply it, as other reviewers have said. I also notice stinging under my nose - but only there, for some reason - so those with very sensitive skin might not be able to use this one.

Bottom line, this product is a bit uncomfortable to apply. I understand that complaint from other reviewers.

But aside from that, as I said before I really think it works, and I notice my skin feeling healthier and looking brighter and more even the next day.

Another thing I really like is that it's actually super moisturizing. I wait for a while after applying serums to moisturize because I've heard you should let it dry/absorb a bit. I usually hate this part as someone prone to dry skin, because I want to apply moisturizer ASAP after cleansing and toner, and during the waiting period I feel like my skin is going to turn into a flaky mess.

But the Vitamin C Suspension itself feels like a moisturizer, so waiting to apply my real moisturizer is much easier. Last night I nearly forgot to moisturize because my skin felt like I already had. This is a huge plus for me.

The other thing I like is the plastic packaging. I'm fine with glass bottles, but when I travel this is the serum I always take with me because I don't have to worry about it breaking in my suitcase.

I tried so hard to like it, but that feeling of rubbing sand into the skin...

on 1/10/2018 8:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

Well I did not know how much I needed a bit of vitamin C other than taking it twice a day everyday, Whatever was I thinking? I fell upon this interesting line of very incredible, well priced, facial treatments and I have been completely surprised!
I found my fav online beauty store started carrying them and so I looked them up and in doing so found out that this company did with these ingredients what others have done but not at a price that makes one need to put a second mortgage on their home to buy the product. Oh happiness!! Luxury products...CHEAP!! I digress, sorry. :-) LOL
This has a bit of a gritty texture which is fine with me. If used alone it does sting (you're using vitamin C on your face whaddya expect) before using moisturizer. I use this first a very thin application (yes it stings) but I follow with a facial oil I've been using (not of the ordinary), then I use "The Ordinary" natural moisturizer and follow that with a heavier cream for nighttime and I'm off to bed. When I wake up I have the smoothest skin, the red is fading, my freckles are going away, not having break outs of psoriasis spots, My husband stroking my face telling me how soft my cheek is, this is really good stuff. Oh Yay! I'm using Luxury and getting benefits and its not breaking my budget CHEAP! WOOEFFINHOO! LMAO
This is helping me and my facial issues (not that all my issues are solved with a face cream either, I wish......LMAO) and being very good at it as well. I like this product and I do recommend it but I recommend that you use it sparingly and with other moisturizers to reduce the stinging and burning some get. I also recommend using at night before bed. Good luck.

on 1/1/2018 3:34:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

Ok, I will admit, this stings a bit, which is usually a sign of irritation for me. However, damn this makes my skin look nice. My skin concerns are dullness, hyper-pigmentation and aging, lets face it, I am 54 and my skin will never look ageless; but I want to take care of it the best that I can so I can put off the 1-time face-lift for as long as possible. I love this product and use several other Deciem products as well. I am a smoker and tanned like a mad-woman until I hit my mid 30's. I am lucky to have been spared, I should have much more damage than I do. I have some age spots on the left side of my face from driving (I was a field agent for 10.5 years and drove 500-1000 miles weekly). Even with heavy duty sunscreen this is no surprise. When I sold my soul and took a management promotion I asked for an office with a north facing window. The sun has f**ked my skin up more than anything else in life but I will not stay indoors because the sun warms my soul. This product makes my skin tone appear way more even. I don't expect the age spots will go away without being zapped with some type of laser but this product makes it easier to conceal spots all day under makeup. My mother always preached the benefits of Vitamin C and as usual, she was right, God rest her soul. I wouldn't use this if I didn't wear major sunblock but I do, every day, even if it's just to get the mail. Sensitive types may want to mix this with a mild serum, but I am thick skinned and can take the sting. Spot test before using. I would recommend this product, it's cheap AF and delivers in spades.

on 10/20/2017 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Took me a while to warm up to this product. Definitely needed to ramp up to using it at full strength and, even now, I can only use it every other day or so. It tends to dry my skin out and make the corners of my mouth peel if I use it too frequently. As I have tret sensitive skin, I already have problems with peeling. All that being said, I think this is an excellent product. Not wonderfully elegant with the grit, but it doesn’t bother me too much - particularly as I use it at night. Has helped give a bit of a glow and improved texture issues. With how expensive Vit C formulas can be and the benefit if not having to worry about oxidation in the tube, this product is a winner to me. I’ve already bought a backup.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I want to be clear, I am NOT using this on my face and won't even try it with the ingredient list. I bought this to use on my neck, decolletage, and hands.

I am loving this on my decolletage & hands, but it was too strong on my neck. The skin on my hands is brighter & I'm happy I can put A+ ingredients on skin other than my face for an affordable price.

on 9/23/2017 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

There's almost an equal amount of love/hate for this product. I'm firmly in the love camp: I feel like I'm getting the benefits of a peel without any of the peeling! I've been using Skinceuticals CE+Ferulic for years, and I've been paying the big money because I thought it was really protecting my skin from sun damage. However, since moving to the beach it's not working that well, even though I'm fanatical about wearing sunscreen, a hat & glasses. When the price went up to $165, I put my foot down. I'm tired of spending a fortune on skincare. My skin is dry. It used to be sensitive, but is now pretty strong from daily Vit. C and weekly glycolic acid.

I chose this suspension because it was the only one from The Ordinary that didn't have silicones. As suggested on the website's regimen guide, I'm using this at night. (I bought the Resveratrol + Ferulic for day, and I'll review that once I've been using it longer. It's taking a lot of discipline to try these products one at a time!)

I was planning to start with a patch test, but when I didn't experience any burning I ended up putting it all over. I shake the tube, squeeze out a pea-sized amount, and spread it across my fingertips. That covers my face, neck, and chest. Make sure your face is dry -- I think water may exacerbate the burning sensation. I expected to feel major grittiness, but honestly, the powder in the formula is super-fine and was barely noticeable. It is also odorless. I gently massage the product in, and it all absorbs into my skin rather quickly. Don't use too much. After it absorbs, I top it with hyaluronic acid and moisturizer. (Love the squalane!) The only times I've felt any tingling was when I had a scratch near my eyebrow, and one time when I spritzed water on my face after applying the serum.

Even after the first use, I saw a difference in the morning. My skin was bright and glowy. Every morning my brown spots are more faded, and my skin is soft and clear. There is no dryness or flakiness. I've purchased the Ordinary's alpha arbutin to deal with brown spots, but I haven't added it to my regimen yet. But I'm really amazed at the results I'm getting from this one, inexpensive serum. It's a winner in my book!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Nope. No. Nah. This product is not for me. I gave it a good try. Two tries actually. The first time I used it for about 2 weeks only to have to stop due to a massive, painful breakout on my forehead. Since this was the newest introduction into my routine I stopped and waited to see if my skin would clear up. It did. For some reason I decided to give it another go for three nights a couple weeks later only to be left with irritated skin and huge pores, as well as a couple bumps on my forehead.

I really wanted to like this product. It's a great price with a high concentration of vitamin c but it just did not agree with my skin. I could have put up with the grainy texture, greasiness after application, and stinging if it had benefits but I never saw any. I gave it one lippie because it was the product that drew my attention to The Ordinary and led me to find some of their products that work amazing on my skin. Unfortunately this just isn't one of them.

on 8/12/2017 7:17:00 AM

These are excerpts from a more detailed review I did (on about Pg 5 or 6 under “Suez777”).

Yes this product is initially not pleasant to use. It's a “dry” (ie: waterless) formula which needs moisture to break down the Vitamin C crystals, hence the inclusion of moisture-attracting Hyaluronic Acid (among other things). Water in Vitamin C formulations is problematic because it can cause the product to oxidise, turning it yellow, deep orange or brown. Once this happens it chemically changes from an ANTI-oxidant, which will prevent free radicals from damaging the cells of your skin to a PRO-oxidant which, in short, *encourages* free radicals to damage your skin.

Being 23% this can REALLY sting on first application when your skin is not used to such a high concentration. But if you smooth on an additional layer of Hyaluronic Acid first (which The Ordinary stock, and which this product already contains) then, before it dries add the C23, it eliminates the stinging immediately - GONE within 10 seconds!
This method is far superior to applying to damp skin (which, on me, only lessened the sting a fraction) or mixing with a moisturiser (which will impede maximum absorption).

I've very comfortably been able to use this C23 six or seven times since adding the extra HA layer, and also found that it in no way interfered with my skin’s ability to get accustomed to this high a dose of Vitamin C. Out of curiosity, I recently tried it without, and I'm happy to report that my skin has fully acclimatised and it felt just as comfortable as it had WITH the HA layer.

So I'd say to anyone thinking they're going to have to give up on this product because it's too hard to initially tolerate - the addition of extra hyaluronic acid at first will ease the transition until your skin gets used to it.

And persistence will be rewarded - after only a few applications your skin will be noticeably brighter and more even-toned, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results after 3 months.

I'd also suggest only using this at night so you can just wait for it to absorb instead of trying to rub it in. The gritty texture is going to act like an exfoliant which (combined with an already-powerful product) will likely become an irritant pretty quickly and may inflame your skin.
Once you wait 20 or 30 minutes I find the addition of a moisturizer seems to assist with the final stages of absorption (of both products). And again, just let them both sink in (don't rub).

NB: I also find that a richer, thicker emollient moisturizer helps it all to soak in - sometimes even two coats of moisturizer if there are still a few granules yet to be absorbed. (And slather it on. Skin seems to drink up moisturizer after applying the C23).

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

In February I introduced Vitamin C into my routine in the morning to help brighten my complexion and fade my pigmentation from acne in the past. The first one I used was the Clique Fresh Pressed Vitamin C serum, then the Hylamide Vitamin C oil, followed by The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23 % and now I am trying Drunk Elephant C Firma.

I prefer to use Vitamin C in the morning because I use a AHA or BHA lotion at night. I use vitamin C after I have cleansed my face in the morning on bare clean skin. I do this mainly because I feel as if its having the best effect as the first step but that might not be scientifically correct. I then follow the Vitamin C with a hydrating serum and then a water based moisturizer for the morning followed by SPF. Done!

The Ordinary Vitamin C is a gritty Vitamin C powder suspended in a white "cream". It is suspended in the cream to make powder stable. Because of this it has a gritty texture. In my opinion the grit doesn't really go away and is very difficult to work it in to your skin. It feels like an exfoliation when you are rubbing it in. The rough texture plus the vitamin c means this can very easily aggravate sensitive skin or even skin that isn't particularly sensitive like mine. I usually don't get red from Vitamin C, but this one really stung and was made worse by the fact you have to rub it in a lot to get the grit to go down. This is why I have rated it soo low. I just can't get along with the texture.

At this point I cannot speak for the benefits of the Vitamin C on the fading of pigmentation or brightening because I have only used this 5 times. I did not see immediate brightening or fading. I can't keep using it because its too irritating due to the gritty texture. I like the squeezy package and it gets bonus points for being so affordable. However I would prefer to spend more (which I know is a privilege) for a formula that is easier to use and feels better.

Sorry Deciem! Love the Hyaluronic Acid thought :)