Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.3

on 8/8/2018 4:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I've had perfect-looking (if dry) skin naturally until relatively recently, because I'm 40 now and time stops for no-one. This product has had the most visible effect on my skin once I started using it daily - twice a week did nothing for me. It looks better than it has in +15 years and I even got compliments again. No foundation would ever make it look this good (and I feel zero need to wear one now).

"Brighter" is such a weird term that I never know what it really means, we're not light-bulbs, but I don't know how else to explain it either... more even toned and less textured? Try it! if it works for you it'll be great. Full disclosure, I've also been using a retinoid (TO 2% emulsion), but I did see the big difference once I started using this product *daily*. So this, the retinoid, +50 sunscreen on sunny days (I don't sunbathe and stay in the shadow) a BHA a 3 or 4 times a week, and moisturizer twice daily, and the result is better than I could ever hope at my age.

I don't have a problem with the grittiness, why is this a problem? the grains are not visible, and after a bit not to be felt either. My skin seems to have gotten used to the stinging. I apply on bare skin in the morning (had serums balling up otherwise), 1cm diameter drop, then moisturiser (TO NMF or some other) right afterwards and I find this helps it absorb much faster. Sunscreen (a Korean one that is a bit drying for me, so I need that moisturiser beforehand), and I'm set.

Price so can't be beat! I haven't been using a ton of skincare throughout my life because I felt we were being conned with the crazy prices for small bottles and huge claims, and here you have it, we were...

on 6/30/2018 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product has a rough, gritty texture that doesn't play nicely with other layers. And maybe I haven't been using it consistently enough, but I have yet to notice a difference in my skin -- no brightening, no quicker PIH fading, no help with acne, nothing. Now I don't mind weird textures or tingling/stinging feelings as long as a treatment is going to do something to improve my appearance, but this never did. I think vitamin C just isn't for me. Oh, well -- at least I found out trying something cheap!

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This was my absolute favorite product from the ordinary for a white, it’s instantly incredibly brightening & I noticed a lot of improvement in my skin, HOWEVER, I have really struggled to layer this product with other elements of my skincare without piling or a ‘greasy’ looking finish. I am now trying to use the 12% vitamin C water-based product from the ordinary as I find this layers much better. Having said that I find this was by far the most visibly brightening between the two so hopefully if I go back to this product and use a very small amount I will be able to make it work for me. Strong pros but strong cons.

on 6/17/2018 9:37:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I've been using this in combination with the buffet for about 2 months. I don't know which product is doing the "work" but some new (yay middle age) broken capillaries have faded significantly with daily use. In March/early April, a bright red mark stood out even after makeup and concealer (I'm sure no one else could really see it, but I could). Now, it's barely visible with tinted moisturizer. For $6 you can't go wrong. It does sting a bit, and it takes some time for the vitamin c granules to absorb, but it's really been helpful in minimizing sun/age spots and these dang capillaries.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Everything about this is just.....no. The texture feels gritty like everyone says but it’s literally like rubbing a face scrub on your dry skin. So irritating and annoying. Why are there even HA spheres in this to begin with? It did not sting or make my face red, but to be honest I just did not want to fool with this weird gritty product and ended up returning it to Sephora. Price and packaging are both great, and it might be an effective product, but I’m so turned off by everything about this.....whatever this is. I think I’m just more of a serum/essence kinda girl!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like this a LOT. The texture is very runny, although the cream feels rich and is easy to spread on my face. It dries down really quickly though, and doesn't feel greasy at all. It's true that it's gritty, like a soft exfoliator. I read somewhere that a way to make it better is to mix it with hyaluronic acid (I use the one from the same brand). It dissolves the little "grains" and make it better. I use this on days where I'm staying at home; that's because vitamin C stops being active really quickly if it's mixed with other actives. For this reason, I think it's better to think of it as a mask that you would use as a cream and leave for several hours before washing it off. I think it's very effective, I can see that my pigmentation is fading, and it brightens my complexion a lot; my pores are a lot smaller, too. It's a great product, especially for the price point. I also use the 2% retinoid and the 10% lactic acid from the Ordinary, and my face has never been clearer- to the point where I feel okay going out without any foundation.

on 10/6/2017 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have no idea whether or not this product works, because I only used it a couple times before I gave up. The texture is hard to get used to. It's gritty, which I could get past, but it's also really greasy - which was the deal-breaker for me. It tastes like oranges if you get any on your lips.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

After reading several reviews I was concerned that this serum would be too much for my sensitive skin. Thankfully, I only felt a horrible burning sensation when I applied it on my neck. On my face, I only feel an intense tingling for a few minutes. The grit from the L-Ascorbic Acid powder doesn’t bother me I gently massage it in and the gritty texture dissipates within 10 to 15 minutes. The squalane that the vitamin C is suspended in, is hydrating and suitable for my dry but acne prone skin. I use it every morning under my Cotz Sensitive SPF 40, BareMinerals Original Foundation, and NARS RCC. As of this review I’ve only used it for the past 3 weeks so I have no significant changes in hyperpigmentation to report.

Update: After using up a bottle I decided to try the Timeless vitamin C serum. While I still think this is a great product for the price I prefer the Timeless one which has a thin consistency that allows me to layer other serums. A tube lasted me just over 3 months of daily use and never oxidized during that time. I may repurchase for application on my hands since it's so much cheaper than the Timeless serum.

on 5/25/2017 8:01:00 AM

This is not my first experience with Vitamin C serums, although this is on the higher % end of the spectrum I previously used. I used this for a few nights and experienced terrible chemical burns around my nose and beneath my eyes. The grittiness and oily texture just made this an uncomfortable product to use, let alone that it burned my skin off. If you have sensitive skin, I highly recommend trying something else. I heard someone else say they use this as a mask and wash it off after a few minutes, which might be a way to just use it up instead of tossing it, but I think I'll use it on my hands at night instead.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm a generally a fan of these products, the price means I can experiment and try out things I haven't tried before. This was my first time using a Vitamin C product so I don't have a previous frame of reference! I am very used to topical acids and even though my skin is prone to acne it's not that sensitive these days so I was surprised by how unbearable this felt. I know it warns of tingling but my reaction was a consistent burning and because of the greasy suspension it was really difficult to remove. I'm not sure if my skin is sensitised from using other products or if this is just too brutal for me but I'm not putting it near my face again.