Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.3

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like this a LOT. The texture is very runny, although the cream feels rich and is easy to spread on my face. It dries down really quickly though, and doesn't feel greasy at all. It's true that it's gritty, like a soft exfoliator. I read somewhere that a way to make it better is to mix it with hyaluronic acid (I use the one from the same brand). It dissolves the little "grains" and make it better. I use this on days where I'm staying at home; that's because vitamin C stops being active really quickly if it's mixed with other actives. For this reason, I think it's better to think of it as a mask that you would use as a cream and leave for several hours before washing it off. I think it's very effective, I can see that my pigmentation is fading, and it brightens my complexion a lot; my pores are a lot smaller, too. It's a great product, especially for the price point. I also use the 2% retinoid and the 10% lactic acid from the Ordinary, and my face has never been clearer- to the point where I feel okay going out without any foundation.

on 10/6/2017 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have no idea whether or not this product works, because I only used it a couple times before I gave up. The texture is hard to get used to. It's gritty, which I could get past, but it's also really greasy - which was the deal-breaker for me. It tastes like oranges if you get any on your lips.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

After reading several reviews I was concerned that this serum would be too much for my sensitive skin. Thankfully, I only felt a horrible burning sensation when I applied it on my neck. On my face, I only feel an intense tingling for a few minutes. The grit from the L-Ascorbic Acid powder doesn’t bother me I gently massage it in and the gritty texture dissipates within 10 to 15 minutes. The squalane that the vitamin C is suspended in, is hydrating and suitable for my dry but acne prone skin. I use it every morning under my Cotz Sensitive SPF 40, BareMinerals Original Foundation, and NARS RCC. As of this review I’ve only used it for the past 3 weeks so I have no significant changes in hyperpigmentation to report.

on 5/25/2017 8:01:00 AM

This is not my first experience with Vitamin C serums, although this is on the higher % end of the spectrum I previously used. I used this for a few nights and experienced terrible chemical burns around my nose and beneath my eyes. The grittiness and oily texture just made this an uncomfortable product to use, let alone that it burned my skin off. If you have sensitive skin, I highly recommend trying something else. I heard someone else say they use this as a mask and wash it off after a few minutes, which might be a way to just use it up instead of tossing it, but I think I'll use it on my hands at night instead.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm a generally a fan of these products, the price means I can experiment and try out things I haven't tried before. This was my first time using a Vitamin C product so I don't have a previous frame of reference! I am very used to topical acids and even though my skin is prone to acne it's not that sensitive these days so I was surprised by how unbearable this felt. I know it warns of tingling but my reaction was a consistent burning and because of the greasy suspension it was really difficult to remove. I'm not sure if my skin is sensitised from using other products or if this is just too brutal for me but I'm not putting it near my face again.

on 5/11/2017 11:37:00 PM

I am really sad to say that I dont think I can use this product. I dont use many products, never tried Vit C before, or any other lightening or retinoid or anything like that, but I was hoping to use this for melasma and just general fading of sun marks etc. (im 31). About 2 years ago I finished up with Roaccutane and perhaps now my skin is more sensitive - but roaccutane saved my life from adult cystic pimples - and not I just use a gentle cleanser twice a day, have barely ever any pimples any more, and my once extremely oily clogged pore skin is now relatively even and not too oily and I use a nice thick moisturiser with Niacinamide at night and a low chemical moisturiser in the day - thats really it.

I used this Vit C cleam in the PM as directed - also putting the Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 first (which I also started at the same time - ordered together). 3 days in my face has come out in teeny tiny little bumps and my face where I put the cream - even more prominantly on my cheeks are really red, like I have wind or a bit of sun burn - which I definitely dont (sunscreen always, plus hat and been mostly inside last 3 days). So it might be too intense for my skin maybe, or Im allergic, or...I dont know.

Im going to stop it for now (and the Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5), wait for the redness to go away, then reintroduce Hyaluronic Acid on its own just to make sure that isnt the secret culprit). And then perhaps try again with the Vit C - maybe once a week - or once every 3 days or so and see how I go. I really want this to work because I dont want to pay $90 for a different Vit C serum to also find out I cant use it.

on 5/7/2017 6:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I'm going to try and keep this short as other reviews have explained the consistency and how difficult of a product this is to use.

Okay, my experience. 1st use....felt the hot prickling itchiness and skin went red, wasn't pleasant at all. Next day 2nd use...didn't feel what I felt the 1st day so was 🙂. Next day 3rd use...OMG felt the same as 1st use but much worser that I had to sit in front of my fan to cool my face down, it burnt my skin in small patches next day the skin was dry and peeling so It would have been very silly to use it the 4th night!!!

I had to heal my skin until it was back to normal again by moisturising a lot and removing the dead skin gently with a warm damp cloth...I stopped using all serums until skin was totally healed, only took a week. Once healed I tried it again but this time I spritz my skin with claudalie grape water after cleansing before applying the the vit c.....felt very minor stinging. Then I didnt apply again for another 5 day and again only felt minor stinging which subsided within a few mins. I will use this once per week to let my skin adapt to it and slowly build it up and use it only at night and only on nights when its not a retin a(tretinion) / acid / niacinamide night....as you must not mix either of these on the same night.

Secret is to spritz face before you apply this.
Start off once per week and build up.
Listen to your skin, don't keep applying if face is sore as you will cause more damage than good.

Great item, will buy again. I use on my face, neck, chest and back of hands... night only. Daytime I use the 12% ascorbyl glycoside from the ordinary but I'm finding this too sticky for my liking so am on search of another vit c for the day but I really want my skin to get used to the 23% as it a great product that does no oxidise and go bad and is cheap as hell...you just can't go wrong with this for night time use as ideally you do not want to apply vit c in the morning as it oxidises with light.

I also use the hylamide, matrixyl, buffet and niacinamide from the ordinary. I have a regime where I incorporate all these products on different days and nights.

I hope this helps. Sorry wasn't kept short lol

on 4/24/2017 1:39:00 PM

This product does work, but to be honest it's not very nice to use and I wouldn't buy it again. The gritty texture means it's impossible to layer during the day, even just under sunscreen.

I know they do say on the website that this product stings, but it's still deeply uncomfortable for me an hour after applying it, which rules out using it at night as well. Man it burns- it literally keeps me awake at night! For context it's worse than some light doctor administered peels I've had, so approach with caution!
Yes it's effective at the price point but for me it's a miserable experience to use.

on 4/15/2017 2:46:00 PM

I'm a big fan of The Ordinary (both their products and their philosophy) but this is one product that, simply put - is not pleasant to use.

EDIT: 9 July 2017:
This stuff can really REALLY REALLY sting on first application but I've found there is a very simple, easy solution that stops it IMMEDIATELY. I am amazed (stunned really) that one simple step could make such a massive difference. In the beginning I didn't know if I was going to be able to bear this product. Now I can look forward to it. Who knew?!!!

Here's the history;

Night 1: 15 April 2017
Being a hefty 23% the formula stings on first application and, for me, continued to sting for 20 minutes until I damped it down with a moisturizer. Even after that I could still feel it for another 15 minutes. It wasn't completely unbearable, but I'd liken it to the sting you feel if you've manually exfoliated then apply an AHA. But unlike that sensation - which goes away fairly quickly - this didn't. Still, I’d be willing to tolerate the prolonged sting if it eventually fully absorbed, but on me it didn't do that either. Even with a moisturizer applied 20 minutes afterward, an hour later it still felt grainy. Without it absorbing, I didn't feel it was doing its job properly and wasn't sure how much I was benefitting from it.

Other reviewers have stated two relevant things; (1) that if used regularly the stinging diminishes and (2) applying to a damp (or spritzed) face helps the granules to break down and absorb. I'll keep using it because I have faith in The Ordinary’s products, and will try the above suggestions.

Night 2: (two days later) 17 April 2017
Surprisingly after only a second application there is not much sting at all. After 10 minutes I don't know what I was complaining about!! (Was this a fluke or does skin really adjust that quickly??). I have dry (generally non-sensitive) skin but the difference between the first night's application and the second is night and day. (I would have persisted regardless but was preparing for an uncomfortable experience). Not so and I'm delighted.

NB:
It still felt grainy after 10 minutes (& admittedly I forgot to spritz my face beforehand) so I spritzed my face 10 minutes after application and strangely, with the addition of H2O, that brought the sting back big time (note to self: remember to spritz FIRST!!!). Did it help with absorption? Definitely! No grainy texture (but the water has also added sting where there was none before). It subsided within 10 minutes so, while uncomfortable, still better than Night 1.
I should also add that despite any prolonged sting, (on Night 1 or 2) I didn't have any redness or peeling at all in the following days.

EDIT - 1 July 2017
I hadn't actually used this again until tonight, so (hoping to help with absorption) I smoothed on a layer of The Ordinary’s Hyaluronic Acid first, then before it dried immediately put the C23 over the top. (It already contains HA so they're compatible). I felt the familiar stinging start but was hoping it'd be gone in 10 minutes. I checked the clock but needn't have bothered. Stinging GONE COMPLETELY within 10 seconds!! AMAZING. Especially compared to Night 1 where it went on for a painful 20 minutes (it was intense, and maybe why I haven't gone back to it).
So I've found my solution. The additional HA layer was absolute *magic*. Even the gritty-ness felt much reduced as I was applying it. Hallelujah!!
I also read somewhere that Vitamin C serums should be followed with a Vitamin E containing moisturizer so I did that and there was absolutely no residual gritty texture at all afterwards.This method worked like a charm and I've been using it often now that it's a more comfortable experience.

Also, a few weeks on and I've read a lot of articles and reviews.
(This one at the following link was one of the best and assesses all 4 of The Ordinary’s Vit C offerings).

FINAL UPDATE - 10 August 2017
I've been able to comfortably use this product 6 or 7 times now since adding the extra Hyaluronic Acid. But began to wonder if my extra layer was impeding my skin’s ability to get accustomed to this high a dose of Vitamin C. So tonight, just out of curiosity, I tried it without, and I'm happy to report that my skin has fully acclimatised and it felt just as comfortable as it had WITH the HA layer.
So I'd say to anyone thinking they're going to have to give up on this product because it's too hard to initially tolerate - the addition of extra hyaluronic acid at first will ease the transition until your skin gets used to it.

I'd also suggest only using this at night so you can just wait for it to absorb instead of trying to rub it in. The gritty texture is going to act like an exfoliant which (in an already-powerful product) will likely become an irritant pretty quickly and may inflame your skin. Once you wait 20 or 30 minutes I find the addition of a moisturizer seems to assist with the final stages of absorption (of both products. And again, just let them both sink in - don't rub).

Just on a separate note:-
The Ordinary have been criticised for not having a complete range and for having “single-ingredient” products but that's exactly why I like them. With my home pharmacy of little bottles I can turn any moisturiser or serum into an anti-ageing powerhouse. I benefit from the latest proven ingredients and don't have to throw away or waste an otherwise perfectly good product. They've filled a niche no-one else has and of course their prices are why this brand has achieved such high visibility in record time. (Note to other Manufacturers: you'll see higher profits by selling MORE products at vastly reduced prices than by being greedy and trying to sell a FEW products at inflated prices. You'll also get more return business. Women are sick of being ripped off, which is why The Ordinary is such a welcome breath of fresh air).

on 4/3/2017 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I've been using this off and on for a little over a month, I'd say... and I have some opinions about it:

What I like about this product is that it's hella cheap, the packaging is nice and easy to use (you don't have to worry about it breaking or getting messy), and it feels effective. My face always feels really smooth and nice around 2 or 3 hours after applying it.

What I DON'T like about this product is essentially just that the texture is absolutely terrible. My gripes are pretty consistent with everyone else's, but if you're interested in this product you NEED TO KNOW!! The granular feel as you apply it to your skin feels like you're rubbing dirt on yourself, and then on top of that it's also extremely greasy. After applying it I always feel disgusting, which is the OPPOSITE of how I want to feel after I've finished my skincare routine. Applying moisturizer afterwards helps a little bit, but it only goes so far. Additionally, it makes my face burn, but that's to be expected with such a high concentration of Vit C.

All in all, I haven't really noticed any long-term effects of using this, but admittedly I haven't been using it consistently enough for anything to happen. The smooth feeling my face has hours after I've applied this and it's finally soaked into my skin is very nice and promising, however the disgusting texture during and directly after application are enough of a deterrent for me to just skip this step in my routine more nights than not. Also, I've heard that vitamin C is best applied in the morning rather than at night, but there's NO WAY that that's happening with this product. I haven't tried applying makeup on top of it but I'm sure it would be an absolute disaster.