Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Filtered by eye Color : Black
Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.3

on 6/16/2017 6:21:00 AM

edit: changed my rating from a 5 to a 3 on this one because I noticed that this will burn and itch my skin when it's drier than usual (I'm combo skin but my skin gets dry in winter). I prefer the new vit c in silicone and I wouldn't repurchase this one. I read quite mixed reviews about this vitamin C so I was quite nervous to try it out. The main problems seemed to be the grainy texture, burning on the skin and makeup not sitting properly or balling up on top of this.

I want to start off by saying that I love this vitamin C. I have combination skin, used to be quite acne prone but I have that under control for the most part. Here's my experience -

Because of the way some reviews described the grainy texture, I was actually expecting this to feel like a sugar scrub. It actually feels like super fine sand mixed with lotion. I don't think even that description is quite accurate because this dissolved when applied to my skin and slightly rubbed in, but it didn't feel harsh, like I was exfoliating with sand. I understand the reasons that they have this vitamin C in suspension form, so am happy to use it this way.

I had no issues with burning. I did feel a slight heating up on my face, but no tingling. I have used vitamin C products, retinol and chemical exfoliatants so maybe my skin is accustomed. I used to have sensitive skin so was expecting major burning, but this was a pleasant experience.

As for makeup, I let the vitamin C sit for about 2 minutes before applying the silicone primer by the Ordinary. The I used my loreal infallible makeup. I didn't notice any balling up at all. I also love the way the makeup looked over that primer.

As for the product performance, I have noticed an overall brightening of my skin and more even tone overall. I'm hoping that it helps to fade some of my older pigmentation but time will tell.

Will definitely be repurchasing this product and i'm extremely happy overall.

on 9/5/2018 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I jumped on the Ordinary bandwagon and just went crazy. By far, this brand is one of the best skincare finds of the century. Most of the products worked well for me and considering the price, I really don't have any complaints. However, as always, some products work better than others.

This one falls to the bottom of the pack for me, for the same reason as the Alpha Lipoic Acid. It works but it's just too unpleasant to use. The grainy bits disappear when I use it with a moisturiser but even then, it stings and it sits heavily on the skin for quite a long time, not really absorbing.

on 6/22/2017 10:13:00 PM

This stuff burns so bad. I couldn't stand it after the 3rd night. What a waste. It broke me out causing me to have a couple of large pimples on my cheeks. I had high hopes.

on 2/26/2018 12:24:00 AM

Gave this a try since I was looking for a Vitamin C product.

Similar to what was shared before, this item has a metallic smell and scent.

I tried using it many ways before finding the one that worked for me.

For me, it works best when a pea-sized drop is mixed into my moisturiser.
It doesn't feel so oily, and doesn't burn. There is just a warming feeling upon application.
So far have just used it at night and my skin looks ok in the morning.
Haven't used it long enough to see much results.

Also works for me when I use a very small amount of it after saturating my face with one of those thick Korean/ Japanese toners (called "skin" or "lotion" or "softener")

What didn't work for me
- using it on its own on dry skin
- using it on its own after a quick spritz with thermal water
- using it as the first layer before adding moisturiser
- using it in the am before foundation (caused pilling - flakes)

(Update: Used this product over a "lotion" - L'oreal mask-in-lotion, over a week just at night, and my face looks a whole lot brighter. It must be this product that is causing the radiance and clarity of the skin, since the mask-in-lotion did not give such a result when used alone or with other products. Great not to have to splurge to achieve radiance! The only problem is the oiliness and smell of this product for me. )

(Another update: Bought The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA to try,. Mixed it with this Vitamin C product and the oiliness is reduced. There is no gritty feeling too. Going to continue using it this way and see how it goes. If possible I'll rather mix products from the same brand since there is usually a lesser chance of it piling)

on 2/5/2018 9:40:00 PM

I wanted to try a stronger formula of Vitamin C, and although the review of this product made me backed down a bit, I settled that I've always had a resilient skin so why not try, it's very affordable anyway.

I think this is the very first skincare that has ever made my skin sting like HELL and I started developing pimple here and there-not much, but it's visible. At first, I used it twice a day; morning and evening. So I thought maybe that's why it's too harsh for me (despite my thick skin) so I reduced it to morning use only (I live in tropical country and I spent approximately 2 hours everyday outside so I need a good anti-oxidant). I still can't bear the stinging sensation, especially because I have to layer it with sunscreen and make up. Finally, I switched it to evening use only and it works BEST.

Yes this is not an easy product to get along with, but with its amazing ingredient and crazy, cheap price, I think we must do the extra work to fit in with this product :)

Just be careful with the tube though, it always made me spill out too many product in the beginning.

This product is a no-go for me. I bought it because I was drawn by the fact that it has 23% vitamin c and there's no water in the formulation. The science and explanation behind making a stable L-ascorbic acid product really intrigued me. Sadly, the texture of this is strange as heck. It's gritty and I feel like I'm sandpapering my face everytime this goes on. I'm used to high percentage vitamin c products so I'm not complaining about the stinging that everyone feels, but the texture was just not elegant. I'm not going to lie, the way a product applies really makes or breaks whether I will stick to using it or not. I tried mixing this with the Hydating Factors serum, and that took the grittiness away but the entire formulation was still extremely greasy. Not to mention, this pills HORRIBLY. I can't use it under makeup, and even when I gently pat moisturiser or sunscreen on top, it balls up into bits that really annoy me. I'm going to find a way to use this tube up, but I'm never repurchasing. 2 lippies only for the idea and science behind it and the belief that it would actually work wonders if I could get it to stay on my skin!

on 5/4/2017 8:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

smooths out all the little bumps on my skin!!
i had no idea what this was, the words were too complicated for me but i got it for the price and the rave reviews about the brand..
i have super oily skin and blackhead prone
this helps

My skin is dry and a bit dull. So I just started using this at night after Alpa Arbutin, (toner, Alpa Arbutin, then vit c). Everything was good and i love this product, even the texture is rough and does tingly my face, it means this product works, however today is the day 5th and i can see my face looks so much brighter, i didn’t know that those product actualy give me that fast result, but on the 6th day of using this, i dont know whether it’s the Vit C or the Alpa Aburtin, the areas around my eyes shown bumps like little acnes. I guest im not gonna using this Vit C product everynight just 2-3 night per time.

on 6/14/2018 7:55:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Grey, Curly, Fine

I have been using this for 2 months. Have honestly yet to see any fading of my PIH and discoloration. However I did notice an overall glow up to my complexion, but it is not drastic enough for me to want to continue purchasing this product.

First reaction : It stung a lot. And the packaging is not ideal, it is quite a runny liquid so I would have preferred a pump. Then the stinging sensation faded after 1 minute and the rest of the times I used it, there were no more stinging reactions. It is quite a heavy layer on the skin, I had to wait close to 30 minutes for it to be absorbed by my skin. Definitely a night time product. It has also an almost oily consistency, with small spherical granules.

All in all, if you want your complexion to brighten a little, give it a whirl. I would recommend sticking to other formulations though.

on 5/18/2017 12:14:00 AM

I'm in my early 30's and have sensitive, acne-prone, combination skin. I have tried other vitamin C treatments before but at much lower concentrations. I find that my skin does not respond well to vitamin C.

I applied it after cleansing and noticed the "tingling". This turned into itching and some redness. 8 hours later, I had red spots on my cheeks and the itching around my mouth did not go away. I quickly washed it off and noticed the rash it left around my mouth.

I do not react this badly to any other product, including chemical exfoliants and peels...so it may be specific to vitamin C.

I like the packaging and love the price. However this goes on oily and gritty...I can't imagine it working under makeup. Sorry I could not comment on the long term benefits.