Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.6

on 4/29/2017 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is a weird product and I hated it the first few times I tried it. I have melasma (hyperpigmentation) on my upper lip, which looks like a mustache and I have tried everything to lighten it with no results (or just light fading). I got this product and kept trying to figure out how to wear it under sunscreen in the am like you are supposed to do with a vitamin c product, it didn't rub in, it pulled horribly and I felt like I was just rubbing it all off. I watched a video where the lady said that anything with this high of a vitamin c should be worn at night as the formula can't be elegant due to the high amount of vitamin c. I use it at night every other night for 2 nights now and I have never seen such a lightening effect from a product and so fast! I've used it twice now this way and it still pulls like crazy but I just throw an oil on afterwards and pat it in trying to keep as much product on my skin as possible. If a product can be life changing then this is it but you may hate it at first until you figure out how to make it work for you.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

OMG, yes!! Okay, the texture kind of sucks; it's a little greasy and gritty. It might cause some itching when first applied, but holy hell! I noticed a difference after 2 nights. My skin looked smoother and more even-toned. Truthfully, because this is a non-aqueous vitamin C suspension, I don't think they could change the formula to be more elegant and comfortable without sacrificing efficacy. I am ok with that. If you want a silky, milky, sweet-smelling spa treat, don't let me dissuade you from looking elsewhere. But, if you want the "Big Guns" and don't mind slathering on a less-than-elegant feeling treatment as long as it gets the job done (and at an amazing price to boot!) get this. Notes: I wouldn't recommend using directly after deep exfoliation. Probably not ideal for super sensitive skin- at least not full-strength. For more gradual absorption of the vitamin c, use on dry skin, not while still damp after cleansing. Some film-forming products will pill if applied over this.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I think I figured out how to make this product work.

Okay, first off, this product burned like f***. I just needed to vent, k?

The first three nights were unbearable and I couldn't deal with it. I've had to figure out how to apply this properly and adjust my routine around it.

1. This is, so far, not a good product for daytime, as the grease never seems to wear away. I recommend Silk Natural's serums as far as that goes, or Timeless, if you don't want to shell out the big bucks for Skinceuticals.

2. I wear this every other night, and try to use products that are more soothing otherwise, such as Niacinamide, and repairing, like peptides. I try to lay off the acids otherwise.

3. A dime sized amount is all you need, and I mix it in with a little lotion to add to my face. Bam. Grit that everyone is complaining about is gone. It seems to work better as a "booster" than a serum.

I need to test this a little longer to see if it's really superior, but for the price, not bad.

Note: This supposedly contains coconut derivatives which are comedogenic for some. I've had a few pimples but I'm waiting around to see if my skin gets used to it. Also, I've read that c needs vitamin e to work better, and I'm not sure this has that in it. Might want to wear it mixed in with a vitamin E moisturizer. CVS has a nice generic one that's about $5.

NOTE: This form of vitamin C clashes with Niacinamide!!! Don't use them together.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is my first product review, but I had to do it because I love love love this product. Yes, it's unpleasant to apply. It's gritty as all out, and especially in the beginning, and ESPECIALLY if you've never used a vit C product before, this is going to sting like the dickens. I've found that a tip below, to apply it immediately after a hyurlonic acid product (I use Hado Labo, but I know the Ordinary has its own) reduces both the grittiness and the sting. I would also encourage you to shake the bottle well before application. Yes, it makes my face a bit greasy feeling (and this coming from someone dry as the Sahara), and it takes time for it to sink in. I find that if I wait 5-10 minutes, and then top with a 'dry" oil, like the squalane product from the Ordinary, or any number of my other favorite facial oils, it sinks in faster and I can get on with my life. Finally, the most important part: results! I've used several vit C products over the course of several years, of various concentrations and costs. None have been as effective as this one. After patch testing, I tried this out one evening. The very next day, I noticed a startling difference in texture, brightness, eveness, and tone, and I thought I had pretty good skin to start with . I suffered a bad reaction to a product last summer that has left me with some stubborn PIH that no other product(s) have been able to really reduce. This stuff has virtually wiped it out withing a few weeks. Especially for the cost, this product cannot be beat. My one gripe would be the packaging. While I appreciate the Ordinary's dedication to making sure you can get every last drop, it's easy to dispense far too much product. However, at less than $10 a bottle, I'm not going to cry if a little is wasted here and there. Bottom line, YMMV, but for me, this is an HG product.

on 3/16/2017 10:01:00 AM

This is the shit. Dirt cheap and insanely effective. Please be careful if you have sensitive skin or aren't used to Vit C products. My skin is super inured to crazy things being slapped upon its surface, and even I experience semi-uncomfortable tingling/itching when I apply this. The texture is problematic and it's not pleasurable to use. But this is doing WORK on my hyperpigmentation, clarity, and texture. And that's what I want. I have used at least 5 different kinds of Vit C serums in the past, including Skinceuticals, and not only has this been the most bang for my buck, it has honestly been the most effective.

I use this at night, as my last step. Most of the time I don't use moisturizer over it, since putting literally anything over it is texture hell. But the hyaluronic acid keeps my skin moist. It does take a little while to absorb and you won't look great, but hey, if you use it before bed, it'll be dark right?

The coconut derivatives haven't broken me out in this formulation, and coconut stuff has broken me out in the past.

Seriously recommend if you think your skin can handle it.

on 1/11/2017 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Just started using this a few days ago so it's a bit early to see results. Will update on results in about 30 days. Right now I'm just reviewing on formula, packaging and price.

First I like tube that it comes in. It's safe from light exposure and no messy dropper. Second I like that there is very little scent and whatever scent there is seems to be the natural odor of the ingredients so no added perfumes or fragrances. It's sort of like a thick serum and it does take quite awhile to absorb so for that reason I would probably use this in the evening as I don't have time to sit around waiting for something to absorb in the morning.

There is a noticeable sting when it is first applied but contrary to what a previous reviewer says, Deciem DID NOT create this serum with intention that it be diluted. Here is what they actually say on their website:

1) A very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin's tolerance to such high exposure is elevated;

2) The powder exposure to the skin disallows the formula to feel like a serum, lotion or cream and each application requires a few seconds to feel absorbed by the skin. If desired, this formula can be diluted in a cream base per application to allow the skin to build tolerance over time.

So basically there will be stinging but it's shouldn't be irritating so using it full strength directly from the tube is perfectly safe. However if it stings too much or takes too long to absorb then you can dilute it. If not diluting then remember that a little goes a long way. I used too much the first time and 30 minutes later my skin still felt oily and tacky.

All of the ingredients are listed on the box that the tube comes in and the price is amazing. As long as I don't have any adverse reactions to this product I can't think of any reason to not repurchase.

Edit 15/06/17

I've pretty much stopped using this and I'm not sure if I will repurchase. I can't get used to the way it just sits on my face. Using it in the morning is out of the question because it just doesn't absorb and I can't put cosmetics on top of it. I don't like using it in the evening because that's when I apply my other active products. I get that by not using water or silicone as a base the product remains stable and retains it's strength but I just can't get used to it. I have gone back to using my old vit c serums. I might try this again after the summer as I do like the price.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I used to make my own DIY vitamin c for months now , so my skin is not very sensitive anymore, this is a miracle serum if your skin can tolerate it , I apply it by bedtime to face and neck and just let it do its job , I don't try to make sure that every bit of vitamin c in it is absorbed into my skin, I just fall asleep .... In the next morning my face is glowing , actually its radiant . It fades out dark spots and brighten up my face , the result I get made me overcome the texture of the serum , and definitely I'll buy this again

Edit : this transformed the back of my hands too .. I apply this serum , then I layer any lotion over it to help it get obsorbed .. the results are immediate.. love

on 3/26/2017 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This product packs a punch at 23% L-Ascorbic Acid powder. I recommend for use, to wait until any other skin products have dried completely. It's very gritty and any rubbing will cause it to pill. I found it worked best when I would tap it on. I found that by the 2nd hour (!) whatever granules that were going to dissolve, had dissolved by then. There would be ongoing grittiness on my face. It's also extremely oily and I would look like this even in the morning. Because of the poor absorption, I've had to resort to using a towel on my pillow every night. I found it slightly stung on some areas of the face (which would go away) but that it really irritated my neck (I think the product would gather at the creases). I do think for those with sensitive skin, they should dilute this down. The morning after use, there would be a luminosity to the skin from the vitamin c.

The reasons that I'm giving it 2 lippies is that 1. I really didn't think the grittiness/oiliness would bother me that much until after I used this. I feel my night time routine has become a task I really dislike 2. I broke out in painful cystic acne from day 2-3 of use. I do have combo/oily, acne prone skin but it was quite clear before I started this. Squalane (second ingredient) is comedogenic. There are also 2 coconut derivatives (coconut is very comedogenic for me).

I will probably use this up by diluting this down and applying it on my body. I recommend caution if you are acne prone and using this product.

Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid, Squalane, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Coconut Alkanes, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glucomannan, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Acrylates/Ethylhexyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Trihydroxystearin, BHT

on 2/28/2017 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I have used this suspension for almost a month now, at least three times a week, on my retinol nights off. All I have to say is that this stuff is brilliant. Yes, it has a gritty texture (I don't mind). Yes it leaves an oily film on the skin (I actually love it on my dry skin). And Yes it works and it is as cheap as chips!!

I am delighted with the results on the areas where my sun pigmentation was more visible like side of the cheeks and the chest but I am even more impressed by the upper lip area. This is where this suspension has really worked its magic on pigmentation. The skin is now pretty much clear. Very impressed.

As for skin irritation, I haven't had any issue. On some nights (not at the start) I have noticed a very mild tingling but nothing like burning or stinging. I don't have sensitive skin so of course this has been just my personal reaction to this suspension and you might want to be careful and maybe "buffer" it with your usual moisturiser if you are worried about it. For me this is a night treat that deserves to work on the skin without any interference from other actives. It is pretty powerful on its own and the formula very concentrated so better be cautious.
Overall, my skintone is much more even and brighter. For the price, I believe I will always have a tube around to fill my spare night routines. I have seen a true difference and I am sticking with it because it would be foolish not to.
Edit: I now use a tiny bit in the morning after my hyaluronic lotion and before moisturizer and SPF. Just dab it , no rubbing or spreading. Already repurchased. It works as a treat. Love it.

on 3/1/2018 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have used DIY Vitamin C serums in the past, so I know my skin responds well to L-ascorbic acid. I've used a couple of vitamin C derivative products (Mad Hippie and Andalou Naturals) recently and discovered that I much prefer straight up L-ascorbic acid. This stuff is ok. The texture is weird, but it's to be expected, it's a suspended powder. I get around it by putting a less than pea-sized drop on my hand, adding 2-3 drops of The Ordinary's Resveratrol, and rubbing my hands together vigorously before patting it onto my skin. My skin tends to be sensitive and applying this way hasn't irritated me yet. I have a jar of L-ascorbic powder and will be DIYing my vitamin C serums for a while. But I would totally repurchase this. It's cheap, kinda-fussy-but-less-fussy-than-DIY, and very visibly improves my skin tone.