Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Filtered by eye Color : Blue
Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.1

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

OK, so this is a complicated product, and my review is just my opinion. Some people may really like this product and I get it. So read through and if what I don't like about it doesn't bother you then definitely get it.

Cons:
The texture. And here's where I get scientific. Vitamin C is in powder form when it's added to cosmetics. The problem with it being in a water solution or a formula with water, is that it dissolves and oxidizes, limiting the shelf life and efficacy of the product. It requires other ingredients to be added to TRY and stabilize the vitamin C, enough to be effective. However water allows for better absorption.

This product is water-free, so it feels grainy- literally the powdered vitamin C added to the suspension. The problem is with application. 1. It sits on the surface, doesn't absorb well. It's dependent on the water in your skin to break it down and help absorb it. This means that though the formula is 23%, really probably only about 10-15% actually gets absorbed into the skin. 2. It's irritating. Label says mild tingling, but getting real, it stings and burns. While I did notice it helped with pigmentation on areas less sensitive (forehead, side of face), if left my cheeks red that didn't go away easily.

You can minimize both caveats by spritzing your face with hydrating water (Evian spray, Avene, rose water) and mixing it with a little moisturizer. That will help with the irritation/texture.

Pros: !t works, probably the best of all the vitamin C products I used, but at a cost. If you don't have particularly sensitive skin, then great this would work. Because it does work. It just takes some growing pains and creativity to get it on.

Also, it's cheap as hell!

So, I probably won't repurchase, because all of those cons are annoying. But I think this is definitely one of those products where your mileage may vary.

on 4/22/2017 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I'm the weirdo that kind of likes the gritty texture of this stuff — it makes it feel like the product really means business, as indeed it does.

My skin concerns are dryness, wrinkles, a tendency to hyperpigmentation, a tendency towards sensitivity. I'm 56 years old, with decent but certainly not perfect skin. This treatment definitely makes my skin tingle when I use it, which I do twice a week on my face, 3 or 4 times a week on my decolletage to combat sun damage (which it has helped with a lot). The tingle is nothing too severe and it's worth it to me to put up with it because I noticed visible improvement in the radiance and texture of my skin after first use. Subsequent uses over the last four months invariably yield the same positive results.

I use another Vitamin C serum by Deciem as well, a higher-end Hylamide product (Booster C25), that I also love. Switching between the two products works really well for me but I had very satisfactory results with just The Ordinary product before incorporating the more expensive serum into my routine.

I have purchased this product twice and will repurchase again.

After reading reviews about this I decided to try it out as it is cheap and I knew to be cautious about initial discomfort. I have used other vitamin c serums before in various strengths so I am familiar with the effects.
My God! Discomfort!?! Burning like someone threw acid in my face. I tried it in microscopic amounts, before and after moisturiser and every other soothing carrier I could think of. Agony, redness, lumps. I looked like I had aged 10 years overnight.
If I wanted to look and feel this bad I could just go and stay with my mother in law who, according to my daughter,is so evil she drinks unicorn blood to survive.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This actually works! I'm on my 2nd tube.

I have tried a lot of different Vit C serums. No matter how many months of use I never saw any results. I honestly wasn't expecting much from this either, but for the price point, the strength and how stable this is (no water) I had to try it.

I am blown away. I had 1 spot on my face that has never faded. After 2-3 weeks of using this, every other night, the spot is easily 50% lighter. That is incredible.

Yes, when you apply it you'll feel the tiny grits in it - which is the vitamin c powder. This is also why this formula is so stable (no water) and your getting close to the actual %. Most products will state their %, but it is actually far lower because it's diluted with ingredients that make the texture/consistency more cosmetically elegant and not stable. I had already read about the texture so I was expecting it. The texture of it doesn't bother me any though. I apply it over my clean face before bed. It sinks in.

I'm looking for results from products, how they feel or the consistency of it, is of no concern to me.

If you just can't stand how the formula feels, put it on damp skin, that will immediately release the vit c powder. If it's irritating to your skin you can use it with a bit of plain moisturizer to help buffer your skin. I personally had zero irritation from this. But I've been using various acids, retnoids, etc for years. So my skin is accustomed to it, and, I don't have sensitive skin to begin with.

The tube is small, which I like. But it is mighty. I use this on my face, neck, chest and hands. 1 tube lasts me a couple of months.

I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone. If you just can't get over the consistency of this formula on your face, you can use it on your hands, chest, shoulders, anywhere. I think it it definitely worth buying to see what you think.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have purchased 5 items in this range. This was the first item I purchased from the range and I was so impressed that I have purchased the 1% retinol, the caffeine 5% solution and the natural moisturising factor. Let me styart by saying the feel of this product is grainy and not very nice. It does not improve when it goes on the skin as you can still feel the grains. It is fairly easy to apply and has enough slip to get a good coverage on the face whilst still using a small amount of product. I use a pea size to do my entire face. Unlike some people, I do not get any reaction such as tingling or redness, but I am a long time user of retinol and vitamin C, so perhaps my skin is just used to it.

Anyway, this stuff works!!! I was using LRP Redermic C prior to this and this is better! It is also one third of the price of the LRP product. My skin was looking better within a couple of days using this. I should clarify that my skin is very clear for my age (51). You can see in my profile picture that I am very fair skinned, but I still saw a difference after using this. I am about a month into this product now and I can't see myself ever returning to the pricier brands. I think the expensive skincare brands are going to have to pay attention to this company. They are producing a better product at a fraction of the price.

Edit 14th April 2017

I had a reaction when I used this after Neutrogena Pore Refining Exfoliating Cleanser. I don't know whether it was because my face was freshly exfoliated, but the stinging was quite intense when I applied the Vitamin C serum. Just urging a bit of caution. I still love this product, but it was quite uncomfortable applying it after exfoliation.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Many people have had problems with stinging and even severe irritation, but that hasn't been a problem for me. I think some of the problem may be that people who have never used a Vitamin C product before have used this instead of starting with something less potent. For them I would suggest trying one of the other formulas that The Ordinary has that are milder.
I have used Vitamin C products before this, so it wasn't such a shock for my skin. But I can honestly say that it was a shock to me when I looked in the mirror the morning after my first application of this and saw the incredible difference just one use had made! My skin was brighter, appeared more luminous and even toned than it had been the night before. There was such a difference that I kept checking my face in the mirror just to be sure I wasn't going crazy. I have never, ever had a skincare product that produced such fantastic results in just one application. I have been using it every other night, and my skin continues to improve in appearance. On the nights that I don't use this, I use the Azelaic Acid by The Ordinary which also works to even and brighten skin tone.
I honestly can't recommend this highly enough. It is a miracle in a,tube (the packaging was changed from the bottle to a tube). The only caveat is that I recommend trying a less potent form first before trying this. It's better to start with a lesser strength and work your way up, rather than jumping straight to this and running the risk of a severe reaction. For me, though, this is the holy grail of vitamin C serums.

on 6/12/2017 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have used vitamin-c and retin-a for a year, so I know how to use these properly and safely. I decided to try the ordinary 23% vit c. Should have washed it off when the BURNING sensation started but I thought I'd endure it as it would surely subside. It didn't. Finally washed it off but the damage was done. Chemical burns--very bad on jawline, chin and cheek areas. Be careful and if it seriously stings or burns, rinse thoroughly and wash it off! It's been almost two months and I'm still dealing with dry, peeling skin, itching, and rough, ugly skin texture in areas. Only using cerave cleanser for dry skin and food grade coconut oil to cleanse, and for moisturizing a 2% colloidal oatmeal cream by skintastic, Avene thermal water spray, and a b5 serum from timeless skincare. I hope the day will come that I can get back to my original regime. It was working. I shouldn't have tried the 23% vitamin c!

on 7/22/2018 6:22:00 AM

I like this, yes its a little gritty when you first apply it, but put your moisturiser over the top of it and the grittiness goes away and its fine. I've been using this every 4th night for the past 6 months and am really happy with how my skin looks. I introduced a few products from The Ordinary into my skincare routine, I'm all about the affordable skincare products and this stuff suits the bill.

I am in my late 40s, have always had a very simple routine, my skin is getting drier as I approach menopause, sun damage is my biggest concern. I have discolouration because i wasn't always consistent when I was younger with wearing hats and sunscreen and I regret that.

This time last year when i introduced the Ordinary products into my skincare routine my concerns were sundamage, wrinkles under my eyes, pigmentation and texture on my cheekbones. Within 3 months i noticed differences and in the last 6 months I have been really happy with how healthy my skin looks. The texture is gone, there are still age spots but they aren't as pronounced, my skin looks radiant and healthy. I get compliments on how healthy my skin is. I'm wearing sheerer and sheerer foundations because of this confidence in my skin.

This product can feel a little uncomfortable for the first few moments, but it doesn't burn my skin and once i apply a moisturiser and rosehip oil over the top it feels fine. It looks great, no dry patches, doesn't look dry, skin is 'normal' type all over now with no texture issues. This is a very affordable product and as such i just can't bring myself to pay high prices for stuff like Sunday Riley or Drunk Elephant or Clinique or countless other very expensive vitamin c products, i'll keep using this cheap and cheerful thank you very much. Its cheap. It works. Its easy to use. What else can i ask?

on 11/22/2017 8:25:00 AM

If you are on the shelf about getting this product - I say BUY IT. NOW. Especially if you are considering this or a $100+ vitamin c serum.

I actually have never reviewed a product before, but this has visibly reduced my pigmentation in 2 weeks. I had my skin analysed at a spa 2 weeks ago, just before I started using this product - I had not introduced anything else new - and when I went in this week for follow up images there was a very noticeable different in my skin! Like crazy. The girl was like - what have you been using?? And I didn't even want to tell her because here they are hawking $160 serums and my $9.80 brand came through with the goods.

Most negative reviews here (that nearly scared me off from buying this! damn you! evil spawns of satan!) are based on either irritation or consistenty of product, not actual results (obviously irritation makes it hard to get results cause you have to stop - so i'll give you that). Anyway here was my experience:

Irritation: I have sensitive (yes, truly sensitive - dermatitis prone) fair skin and blue eyes and did not find this irritating at all which is surprising. It DOES tingle, a lot, which freaked me out on first application - but I have not experienced any irritation. I was going to spot test it but I'm impatient so thankgod that worked out or it would not have been pretty.

Consistency: I was expecting the worst and happily surprised. It's a milky emulsion that is oil based, with small vitamin c particles in it which does give the product a slightly gritty texture. As for the grittiness - I apply this to slightly damp skin, and don't even notice. I think the damp skin helps, but have used it dry and it was fine.

Finish: Oooh is this oily. It does leave the skin shiny and since it is an oil based product (squalene) it takes ~20 minutes to absorb in, but if that's a big problem then I say just stick to using it in the PM. I use mine AM too but I don't use foundation, just a sunscreen after. I can see how with foundation on top this could all get to be a little too shiny.

ALL UP - if you have visible pigmentation (freckles or blemish scars) you want to reduce - get it.
If you don't have this, then maybe it's not for you, but it's 9.80AU so get it anyway.

on 3/12/2017 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

OMG I have used this product for only a week and I can't believe how good my skin looks - I keep staring at it lol. Yes it's grainy when applied but these granules disappear when massaged in. Yes it's quite greasy, but again this absorbs into the skin after 30 mins or so; for this reason it must be used at night as makeup will not apply over it. I was sceptical when buying this as the reviews are mixed, but I thought I'd give it a try as its so cheap. I'm so glad I did - my skin is looking so smooth and revitalised and bumps that have sat on my skin for years are diminishing. An absolute dream of a product imho. Definite repurchase for me.