Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Filtered by hair type : Wavy
Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.6

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: Woooo look at all the thumbs down after i said dont PM me about this. We have some real Einsteins on here!

11/6/2016: Please do not message me regarding this product...some of you don't understand what "dilute" means and I am scared for your skin's future. :\ :\ :\

------------
My face seems to hate plant based ingredients so I am trying to manipulate a way to use vitamin c on it. With that being said, I bought this for my body and lips. It was so good I actually bought 5 back ups on the next order after waiting a month for Deciem to restock it. The first time I ordered it was in a dropper bottle, this time around it is in a tube because people had issues getting the very last bit out. I didn't mind the original packaging but it is nice Deciem listens to complaints from customers.

Vitamin c is a powerful antioxidant. So it can reverse free radical damage on the skin along with UVA damage from the sun. Antioxidants help boost the efficiency of sun protection so I suggest wearing this during the daytime under sunscreen if possible. Additionally vitamin c is known for its ability to generate collagen synthesis, which is why I bother putting it on my lips. It's a great product to use on my body after dermarolling because it will aid in producing collagen and smoothing out my stretchmarks. It's also great for your hands and neck since they are usually the most neglected yet earliest to show signs of aging.

23% L-Aa is very strong. Studies have proven it only takes 10% to create results. Deciem created this product with the intention of customers diluting it in a base (such as your daily moisturizer). So if you feel it is stinging your face just dilute it. The stinging/burning sensation is even expected by Deciem/The Ordinary. It's just very strong. You'll get even more bang for your buck...on top of the fact the product is dirt cheap to begin with. If you are new to trying out vit c work your way up from 5% in strength until you know how your skin reacts.

The biggest reason The Ordinary's formulation gets my vote is they offer an anhydrous formula. Meaning it is water-free, and therefore a lot more stable than traditional vitamin c serums on the market. Vitamin c mixed with water is typically unstable and I've had plenty of $$$ vitamin c products turn before. Hell, my expensive Skinceuticals one oxidized before I could even use it.

Now for the cons... my biggest complaint by far is the fact they added coconut derivatives to the ingredient list. Most acne-prone skintypes will find the Coconut Alkanes and Coco-Caprylate/Caprate in this to be problematic. Since I only use this on my body and I don't tend to break out there, it's not a deal breaker for me. Squalane is also high up on the list, which is an oil. I'm not sure if Deciem is using a shark or olive based source but I'd just keep that in mind if you're prone to clogs from it.

I should note some people will hate the hyaluronic acid in this formulation, although most people find it to be a huge pro. Hyaluronic acid is known for it's ability to retain huge amounts of moisture BUT can potentially suck the moisture out of your skin if applied in the wrong conditions. With all skincare --- your mileage may vary.

I will repurchase for my body and lips.

---
Editing to add the ingredient list incase this helps anyone:

on 5/2/2017 8:50:00 PM

Another stellar formula from the Ordinary. I have been using Vitamin C products for around 20 years(!!). I can honestly say that my skin looks brighter and firmer after a month of use.

This stuff is strong! But that's why it's so effective.If you are new to Vit C products or want to take it slow, try adding some of the Ordinary Hyaluronic serum to a very small amount of the Vit C and apply to mostly dry skin. Customer service at Deciem says this will not effect the Vit C's ability to absorb into the skin. This will also make it feel less grainy going on.

I'm honestly not sure why people are complaining about the texture, as they are very upfront about this in the description of the product, and the reason they decided to make it this way ( it's 100% stable and potent) The grainy texture goes away pretty quickly after application, and I found a little goes a long way, using less also makes it absorb more quickly.

I can use this during the day, although my oily T zone skin does look more oily than normal. For this reason, and to keep things less complicated I'll continue to use every other night, more or less.

Overall I love it!

on 3/16/2017 10:01:00 AM

This is the shit. Dirt cheap and insanely effective. Please be careful if you have sensitive skin or aren't used to Vit C products. My skin is super inured to crazy things being slapped upon its surface, and even I experience semi-uncomfortable tingling/itching when I apply this. The texture is problematic and it's not pleasurable to use. But this is doing WORK on my hyperpigmentation, clarity, and texture. And that's what I want. I have used at least 5 different kinds of Vit C serums in the past, including Skinceuticals, and not only has this been the most bang for my buck, it has honestly been the most effective.

I use this at night, as my last step. Most of the time I don't use moisturizer over it, since putting literally anything over it is texture hell. But the hyaluronic acid keeps my skin moist. It does take a little while to absorb and you won't look great, but hey, if you use it before bed, it'll be dark right?

The coconut derivatives haven't broken me out in this formulation, and coconut stuff has broken me out in the past.

Seriously recommend if you think your skin can handle it.

on 2/28/2017 10:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I have used this suspension for almost a month now, at least three times a week, on my retinol nights off. All I have to say is that this stuff is brilliant. Yes, it has a gritty texture (I don't mind). Yes it leaves an oily film on the skin (I actually love it on my dry skin). And Yes it works and it is as cheap as chips!!

I am delighted with the results on the areas where my sun pigmentation was more visible like side of the cheeks and the chest but I am even more impressed by the upper lip area. This is where this suspension has really worked its magic on pigmentation. The skin is now pretty much clear. Very impressed.

As for skin irritation, I haven't had any issue. On some nights (not at the start) I have noticed a very mild tingling but nothing like burning or stinging. I don't have sensitive skin so of course this has been just my personal reaction to this suspension and you might want to be careful and maybe "buffer" it with your usual moisturiser if you are worried about it. For me this is a night treat that deserves to work on the skin without any interference from other actives. It is pretty powerful on its own and the formula very concentrated so better be cautious.
Overall, my skintone is much more even and brighter. For the price, I believe I will always have a tube around to fill my spare night routines. I have seen a true difference and I am sticking with it because it would be foolish not to.
Edit: I now use a tiny bit in the morning after my hyaluronic lotion and before moisturizer and SPF. Just dab it , no rubbing or spreading. Already repurchased. It works as a treat. Love it.

on 4/3/2017 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I've been using this off and on for a little over a month, I'd say... and I have some opinions about it:

What I like about this product is that it's hella cheap, the packaging is nice and easy to use (you don't have to worry about it breaking or getting messy), and it feels effective. My face always feels really smooth and nice around 2 or 3 hours after applying it.

What I DON'T like about this product is essentially just that the texture is absolutely terrible. My gripes are pretty consistent with everyone else's, but if you're interested in this product you NEED TO KNOW!! The granular feel as you apply it to your skin feels like you're rubbing dirt on yourself, and then on top of that it's also extremely greasy. After applying it I always feel disgusting, which is the OPPOSITE of how I want to feel after I've finished my skincare routine. Applying moisturizer afterwards helps a little bit, but it only goes so far. Additionally, it makes my face burn, but that's to be expected with such a high concentration of Vit C.

All in all, I haven't really noticed any long-term effects of using this, but admittedly I haven't been using it consistently enough for anything to happen. The smooth feeling my face has hours after I've applied this and it's finally soaked into my skin is very nice and promising, however the disgusting texture during and directly after application are enough of a deterrent for me to just skip this step in my routine more nights than not. Also, I've heard that vitamin C is best applied in the morning rather than at night, but there's NO WAY that that's happening with this product. I haven't tried applying makeup on top of it but I'm sure it would be an absolute disaster.

on 3/12/2017 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

OMG I have used this product for only a week and I can't believe how good my skin looks - I keep staring at it lol. Yes it's grainy when applied but these granules disappear when massaged in. Yes it's quite greasy, but again this absorbs into the skin after 30 mins or so; for this reason it must be used at night as makeup will not apply over it. I was sceptical when buying this as the reviews are mixed, but I thought I'd give it a try as its so cheap. I'm so glad I did - my skin is looking so smooth and revitalised and bumps that have sat on my skin for years are diminishing. An absolute dream of a product imho. Definite repurchase for me.

on 9/23/2017 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

There's almost an equal amount of love/hate for this product. I'm firmly in the love camp: I feel like I'm getting the benefits of a peel without any of the peeling! I've been using Skinceuticals CE+Ferulic for years, and I've been paying the big money because I thought it was really protecting my skin from sun damage. However, since moving to the beach it's not working that well, even though I'm fanatical about wearing sunscreen, a hat & glasses. When the price went up to $165, I put my foot down. I'm tired of spending a fortune on skincare. My skin is dry. It used to be sensitive, but is now pretty strong from daily Vit. C and weekly glycolic acid.

I chose this suspension because it was the only one from The Ordinary that didn't have silicones. As suggested on the website's regimen guide, I'm using this at night. (I bought the Resveratrol + Ferulic for day, and I'll review that once I've been using it longer. It's taking a lot of discipline to try these products one at a time!)

I was planning to start with a patch test, but when I didn't experience any burning I ended up putting it all over. I shake the tube, squeeze out a pea-sized amount, and spread it across my fingertips. That covers my face, neck, and chest. Make sure your face is dry -- I think water may exacerbate the burning sensation. I expected to feel major grittiness, but honestly, the powder in the formula is super-fine and was barely noticeable. It is also odorless. I gently massage the product in, and it all absorbs into my skin rather quickly. Don't use too much. After it absorbs, I top it with hyaluronic acid and moisturizer. (Love the squalane!) The only times I've felt any tingling was when I had a scratch near my eyebrow, and one time when I spritzed water on my face after applying the serum.

Even after the first use, I saw a difference in the morning. My skin was bright and glowy. Every morning my brown spots are more faded, and my skin is soft and clear. There is no dryness or flakiness. I've purchased the Ordinary's alpha arbutin to deal with brown spots, but I haven't added it to my regimen yet. But I'm really amazed at the results I'm getting from this one, inexpensive serum. It's a winner in my book!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like this a LOT. The texture is very runny, although the cream feels rich and is easy to spread on my face. It dries down really quickly though, and doesn't feel greasy at all. It's true that it's gritty, like a soft exfoliator. I read somewhere that a way to make it better is to mix it with hyaluronic acid (I use the one from the same brand). It dissolves the little "grains" and make it better. I use this on days where I'm staying at home; that's because vitamin C stops being active really quickly if it's mixed with other actives. For this reason, I think it's better to think of it as a mask that you would use as a cream and leave for several hours before washing it off. I think it's very effective, I can see that my pigmentation is fading, and it brightens my complexion a lot; my pores are a lot smaller, too. It's a great product, especially for the price point. I also use the 2% retinoid and the 10% lactic acid from the Ordinary, and my face has never been clearer- to the point where I feel okay going out without any foundation.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've been wanting to try The Ordinary products for a while now so I was thrilled to find it at my local Ricky's, and even more thrilled to purchase 3 products for under 40 bucks. When does that ever happen?

I purchased this, the high adherence primer and the Buffet. This is the stand-out winner for me (the other products were good too but this really wowed me).

I should preface with this: my skin is not sensitive and doesn't break out. I know that's been an issue for others with this product.

I've always found vitamin c (topical) to be highly effective but it's so hard to find a successful vitamin c product due to it's instability. Even high end products fall short sometimes. Before finding this I was adding the powder (cosmetic grade) to my skin by mixing it with an HA serum at the time of application, but that's a pain in the ass, REALLY gritty and while effective not nearly as much so as this.

The texture of this takes some getting used to and yes it's got some grit to it but I like that because at least I know the C is in there and still stable. Also, and this might be a bad idea but those are the only kind of ideas I have, when I apply it I use firm circular strokes and it acts as an exfoliant which I like. I also love that it's unscented.

There's a slight tinge of sting but again my skin isn't sensitive so that doesn't concern me, as it's hardly noticeable and it doesn't last long.

Most importantly, there's a marked difference in how my skin looks and feels the next morning when I use this the night before. It's very soft and smooth and still dewy to the touch, even after a full 8 hours of sleep.

If this were more costly I would probably use this less often and supplement with my diy C serum but thank God I don't have to because I'm pretty lazy and always looking for products effective enough to facilitate that laziness.

In summary, effective, no BS vitamin C treatment at an incredible price provided it agrees with your skin.

on 2/25/2018 4:32:00 AM

I so wanted this to work for me! I stuck out through 2 tubes (bought 2 assuming it’d be fine!), but noticed no improvement.

As others have said, this STINGS. It’s so uncomfortable to use, and I find unlike a lot of acids that I’ve used, the stinging takes a long time to subside.

I have also noticed an odd scent to my skin- I even started washing my hands with a nail brush to scrub it away but would still be able to smell it at work the next day- stopped using this and that odd scent went away too. Not only that, but my pillow covers are ruined.

I did not notice any benefit to my skin despite these things, so I’m afraid I do not recommend this product, which is a shame because the price point (like other The Ordinary products) is incredible.