Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.5

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

OK, so this is a complicated product, and my review is just my opinion. Some people may really like this product and I get it. So read through and if what I don't like about it doesn't bother you then definitely get it.

Cons:
The texture. And here's where I get scientific. Vitamin C is in powder form when it's added to cosmetics. The problem with it being in a water solution or a formula with water, is that it dissolves and oxidizes, limiting the shelf life and efficacy of the product. It requires other ingredients to be added to TRY and stabilize the vitamin C, enough to be effective. However water allows for better absorption.

This product is water-free, so it feels grainy- literally the powdered vitamin C added to the suspension. The problem is with application. 1. It sits on the surface, doesn't absorb well. It's dependent on the water in your skin to break it down and help absorb it. This means that though the formula is 23%, really probably only about 10-15% actually gets absorbed into the skin. 2. It's irritating. Label says mild tingling, but getting real, it stings and burns. While I did notice it helped with pigmentation on areas less sensitive (forehead, side of face), if left my cheeks red that didn't go away easily.

You can minimize both caveats by spritzing your face with hydrating water (Evian spray, Avene, rose water) and mixing it with a little moisturizer. That will help with the irritation/texture.

Pros: !t works, probably the best of all the vitamin C products I used, but at a cost. If you don't have particularly sensitive skin, then great this would work. Because it does work. It just takes some growing pains and creativity to get it on.

Also, it's cheap as hell!

So, I probably won't repurchase, because all of those cons are annoying. But I think this is definitely one of those products where your mileage may vary.

on 4/22/2017 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I'm the weirdo that kind of likes the gritty texture of this stuff — it makes it feel like the product really means business, as indeed it does.

My skin concerns are dryness, wrinkles, a tendency to hyperpigmentation, a tendency towards sensitivity. I'm 56 years old, with decent but certainly not perfect skin. This treatment definitely makes my skin tingle when I use it, which I do twice a week on my face, 3 or 4 times a week on my decolletage to combat sun damage (which it has helped with a lot). The tingle is nothing too severe and it's worth it to me to put up with it because I noticed visible improvement in the radiance and texture of my skin after first use. Subsequent uses over the last four months invariably yield the same positive results.

I use another Vitamin C serum by Deciem as well, a higher-end Hylamide product (Booster C25), that I also love. Switching between the two products works really well for me but I had very satisfactory results with just The Ordinary product before incorporating the more expensive serum into my routine.

I have purchased this product twice and will repurchase again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

OMG, yes!! Okay, the texture kind of sucks; it's a little greasy and gritty. It might cause some itching when first applied, but holy hell! I noticed a difference after 2 nights. My skin looked smoother and more even-toned. Truthfully, because this is a non-aqueous vitamin C suspension, I don't think they could change the formula to be more elegant and comfortable without sacrificing efficacy. I am ok with that. If you want a silky, milky, sweet-smelling spa treat, don't let me dissuade you from looking elsewhere. But, if you want the "Big Guns" and don't mind slathering on a less-than-elegant feeling treatment as long as it gets the job done (and at an amazing price to boot!) get this. Notes: I wouldn't recommend using directly after deep exfoliation. Probably not ideal for super sensitive skin- at least not full-strength. For more gradual absorption of the vitamin c, use on dry skin, not while still damp after cleansing. Some film-forming products will pill if applied over this.

After reading reviews about this I decided to try it out as it is cheap and I knew to be cautious about initial discomfort. I have used other vitamin c serums before in various strengths so I am familiar with the effects.
My God! Discomfort!?! Burning like someone threw acid in my face. I tried it in microscopic amounts, before and after moisturiser and every other soothing carrier I could think of. Agony, redness, lumps. I looked like I had aged 10 years overnight.
If I wanted to look and feel this bad I could just go and stay with my mother in law who, according to my daughter,is so evil she drinks unicorn blood to survive.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This actually works! I'm on my 2nd tube.

I have tried a lot of different Vit C serums. No matter how many months of use I never saw any results. I honestly wasn't expecting much from this either, but for the price point, the strength and how stable this is (no water) I had to try it.

I am blown away. I had 1 spot on my face that has never faded. After 2-3 weeks of using this, every other night, the spot is easily 50% lighter. That is incredible.

Yes, when you apply it you'll feel the tiny grits in it - which is the vitamin c powder. This is also why this formula is so stable (no water) and your getting close to the actual %. Most products will state their %, but it is actually far lower because it's diluted with ingredients that make the texture/consistency more cosmetically elegant and not stable. I had already read about the texture so I was expecting it. The texture of it doesn't bother me any though. I apply it over my clean face before bed. It sinks in.

I'm looking for results from products, how they feel or the consistency of it, is of no concern to me.

If you just can't stand how the formula feels, put it on damp skin, that will immediately release the vit c powder. If it's irritating to your skin you can use it with a bit of plain moisturizer to help buffer your skin. I personally had zero irritation from this. But I've been using various acids, retnoids, etc for years. So my skin is accustomed to it, and, I don't have sensitive skin to begin with.

The tube is small, which I like. But it is mighty. I use this on my face, neck, chest and hands. 1 tube lasts me a couple of months.

I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone. If you just can't get over the consistency of this formula on your face, you can use it on your hands, chest, shoulders, anywhere. I think it it definitely worth buying to see what you think.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have purchased 5 items in this range. This was the first item I purchased from the range and I was so impressed that I have purchased the 1% retinol, the caffeine 5% solution and the natural moisturising factor. Let me styart by saying the feel of this product is grainy and not very nice. It does not improve when it goes on the skin as you can still feel the grains. It is fairly easy to apply and has enough slip to get a good coverage on the face whilst still using a small amount of product. I use a pea size to do my entire face. Unlike some people, I do not get any reaction such as tingling or redness, but I am a long time user of retinol and vitamin C, so perhaps my skin is just used to it.

Anyway, this stuff works!!! I was using LRP Redermic C prior to this and this is better! It is also one third of the price of the LRP product. My skin was looking better within a couple of days using this. I should clarify that my skin is very clear for my age (51). You can see in my profile picture that I am very fair skinned, but I still saw a difference after using this. I am about a month into this product now and I can't see myself ever returning to the pricier brands. I think the expensive skincare brands are going to have to pay attention to this company. They are producing a better product at a fraction of the price.

Edit 14th April 2017

I had a reaction when I used this after Neutrogena Pore Refining Exfoliating Cleanser. I don't know whether it was because my face was freshly exfoliated, but the stinging was quite intense when I applied the Vitamin C serum. Just urging a bit of caution. I still love this product, but it was quite uncomfortable applying it after exfoliation.

on 1/11/2017 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Just started using this a few days ago so it's a bit early to see results. Will update on results in about 30 days. Right now I'm just reviewing on formula, packaging and price.

First I like tube that it comes in. It's safe from light exposure and no messy dropper. Second I like that there is very little scent and whatever scent there is seems to be the natural odor of the ingredients so no added perfumes or fragrances. It's sort of like a thick serum and it does take quite awhile to absorb so for that reason I would probably use this in the evening as I don't have time to sit around waiting for something to absorb in the morning.

There is a noticeable sting when it is first applied but contrary to what a previous reviewer says, Deciem DID NOT create this serum with intention that it be diluted. Here is what they actually say on their website:

1) A very strong tingling but non-irritating sensation is expected during the first 1-2 weeks of use until the skin's tolerance to such high exposure is elevated;

2) The powder exposure to the skin disallows the formula to feel like a serum, lotion or cream and each application requires a few seconds to feel absorbed by the skin. If desired, this formula can be diluted in a cream base per application to allow the skin to build tolerance over time.

So basically there will be stinging but it's shouldn't be irritating so using it full strength directly from the tube is perfectly safe. However if it stings too much or takes too long to absorb then you can dilute it. If not diluting then remember that a little goes a long way. I used too much the first time and 30 minutes later my skin still felt oily and tacky.

All of the ingredients are listed on the box that the tube comes in and the price is amazing. As long as I don't have any adverse reactions to this product I can't think of any reason to not repurchase.

Edit 15/06/17

I've pretty much stopped using this and I'm not sure if I will repurchase. I can't get used to the way it just sits on my face. Using it in the morning is out of the question because it just doesn't absorb and I can't put cosmetics on top of it. I don't like using it in the evening because that's when I apply my other active products. I get that by not using water or silicone as a base the product remains stable and retains it's strength but I just can't get used to it. I have gone back to using my old vit c serums. I might try this again after the summer as I do like the price.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Many people have had problems with stinging and even severe irritation, but that hasn't been a problem for me. I think some of the problem may be that people who have never used a Vitamin C product before have used this instead of starting with something less potent. For them I would suggest trying one of the other formulas that The Ordinary has that are milder.
I have used Vitamin C products before this, so it wasn't such a shock for my skin. But I can honestly say that it was a shock to me when I looked in the mirror the morning after my first application of this and saw the incredible difference just one use had made! My skin was brighter, appeared more luminous and even toned than it had been the night before. There was such a difference that I kept checking my face in the mirror just to be sure I wasn't going crazy. I have never, ever had a skincare product that produced such fantastic results in just one application. I have been using it every other night, and my skin continues to improve in appearance. On the nights that I don't use this, I use the Azelaic Acid by The Ordinary which also works to even and brighten skin tone.
I honestly can't recommend this highly enough. It is a miracle in a,tube (the packaging was changed from the bottle to a tube). The only caveat is that I recommend trying a less potent form first before trying this. It's better to start with a lesser strength and work your way up, rather than jumping straight to this and running the risk of a severe reaction. For me, though, this is the holy grail of vitamin C serums.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Broken record... it's gritty. It's a little greasy. But if you can live with that...it's dirt cheap and it works. I find if I place The Ordinary moisturizing Factor product over this. The granules melt almost immediately. The formulation just CANNOT be used under makeup :-(

I have used PC C15 since it came out and it's pretty potent yet no stinging. First time applying The Ordinary I felt slight tingle. Used for about 2 weeks and some days I'd feel a tingle for a moment - some days no tingle. Nothing bad and website states clearly that it will have tingling. Well then I started Retin-A. My plan was to use Retin-A one night and this C23 next night. I guess the Retin-a on previous night sensitized my skin (no visible signs) but the next night when I applied C23 it BURNED. I finally had to wash it off my face. Beware to sensitive people.

My skin loves Vit C. It's one of the few products where I can see a difference the next day. So happy to have found something so good to my face and my wallet.

Struggled between 4-5 lippies. It's really a shame this can't be used under makeup. Vit C boosts sun protection.

on 4/2/2017 10:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Edit: I didn't use it for the full 4 weeks. It's just too grainy. I've started mixing it half and half with Hada Labo's Premium HA. It works like a dream as a face mask. I use it in the a.m. when I get up for about an hour and rinse off in the shower.

Pros:

1. Good level of Vitamin C
2. Dirt cheap
3. I like the tube packaging way better than droppers
4. It's not going to go bad and oxidize quickly like 99% of C serums I see on the shelves
5. After two or three nights in a row it doesn't sting, even around my lips (edit: it started to around my nose)

Cons:

1. The grit. I just accept it and wait 20 minutes or so and it's gone
2. It's fairly greasy and stays that way until morning
3. It's waaaaay too strong to use on my neck and chest, even when diluted to 1/4 strength or less
4. It makes my chin break out terribly - to be fair, all exfoliating products do - so I have to skip that area

I haven't used it consistently but will start this week, so I'm not sure if it's effective. A decent percent of people do not respond to Vitamin C and from using even good C serums in the past I think I'm one of them, unfortunately.

I can throw a Japanese hyaluronic acid serum over this and seal it in with some CeraVe cream if I'm not too lazy and it feels better and less greasy, so that's an option of you don't want to head to bed with a shiny face.

I will update after using it for four weeks.