Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.0

on 5/2/2017 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

this product gave me cystic acne. It felt the same as using powdered vitamin C, which I can use and not get cystic acne.

on 4/3/2017 2:17:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

I've been using this off and on for a little over a month, I'd say... and I have some opinions about it:

What I like about this product is that it's hella cheap, the packaging is nice and easy to use (you don't have to worry about it breaking or getting messy), and it feels effective. My face always feels really smooth and nice around 2 or 3 hours after applying it.

What I DON'T like about this product is essentially just that the texture is absolutely terrible. My gripes are pretty consistent with everyone else's, but if you're interested in this product you NEED TO KNOW!! The granular feel as you apply it to your skin feels like you're rubbing dirt on yourself, and then on top of that it's also extremely greasy. After applying it I always feel disgusting, which is the OPPOSITE of how I want to feel after I've finished my skincare routine. Applying moisturizer afterwards helps a little bit, but it only goes so far. Additionally, it makes my face burn, but that's to be expected with such a high concentration of Vit C.

All in all, I haven't really noticed any long-term effects of using this, but admittedly I haven't been using it consistently enough for anything to happen. The smooth feeling my face has hours after I've applied this and it's finally soaked into my skin is very nice and promising, however the disgusting texture during and directly after application are enough of a deterrent for me to just skip this step in my routine more nights than not. Also, I've heard that vitamin C is best applied in the morning rather than at night, but there's NO WAY that that's happening with this product. I haven't tried applying makeup on top of it but I'm sure it would be an absolute disaster.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: Woooo look at all the thumbs down after i said dont PM me about this. We have some real Einsteins on here!

11/6/2016: Please do not message me regarding this product...some of you don't understand what "dilute" means and I am scared for your skin's future. :\ :\ :\

------------
My face seems to hate plant based ingredients so I am trying to manipulate a way to use vitamin c on it. With that being said, I bought this for my body and lips. It was so good I actually bought 5 back ups on the next order after waiting a month for Deciem to restock it. The first time I ordered it was in a dropper bottle, this time around it is in a tube because people had issues getting the very last bit out. I didn't mind the original packaging but it is nice Deciem listens to complaints from customers.

Vitamin c is a powerful antioxidant. So it can reverse free radical damage on the skin along with UVA damage from the sun. Antioxidants help boost the efficiency of sun protection so I suggest wearing this during the daytime under sunscreen if possible. Additionally vitamin c is known for its ability to generate collagen synthesis, which is why I bother putting it on my lips. It's a great product to use on my body after dermarolling because it will aid in producing collagen and smoothing out my stretchmarks. It's also great for your hands and neck since they are usually the most neglected yet earliest to show signs of aging.

23% L-Aa is very strong. Studies have proven it only takes 10% to create results. Deciem created this product with the intention of customers diluting it in a base (such as your daily moisturizer). So if you feel it is stinging your face just dilute it. The stinging/burning sensation is even expected by Deciem/The Ordinary. It's just very strong. You'll get even more bang for your buck...on top of the fact the product is dirt cheap to begin with. If you are new to trying out vit c work your way up from 5% in strength until you know how your skin reacts.

The biggest reason The Ordinary's formulation gets my vote is they offer an anhydrous formula. Meaning it is water-free, and therefore a lot more stable than traditional vitamin c serums on the market. Vitamin c mixed with water is typically unstable and I've had plenty of $$$ vitamin c products turn before. Hell, my expensive Skinceuticals one oxidized before I could even use it.

Now for the cons... my biggest complaint by far is the fact they added coconut derivatives to the ingredient list. Most acne-prone skintypes will find the Coconut Alkanes and Coco-Caprylate/Caprate in this to be problematic. Since I only use this on my body and I don't tend to break out there, it's not a deal breaker for me. Squalane is also high up on the list, which is an oil. I'm not sure if Deciem is using a shark or olive based source but I'd just keep that in mind if you're prone to clogs from it.

I should note some people will hate the hyaluronic acid in this formulation, although most people find it to be a huge pro. Hyaluronic acid is known for it's ability to retain huge amounts of moisture BUT can potentially suck the moisture out of your skin if applied in the wrong conditions. With all skincare --- your mileage may vary.

I will repurchase for my body and lips.

---
Editing to add the ingredient list incase this helps anyone: