Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

2.9

on 3/26/2017 2:32:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This product packs a punch at 23% L-Ascorbic Acid powder. I recommend for use, to wait until any other skin products have dried completely. It's very gritty and any rubbing will cause it to pill. I found it worked best when I would tap it on. I found that by the 2nd hour (!) whatever granules that were going to dissolve, had dissolved by then. There would be ongoing grittiness on my face. It's also extremely oily and I would look like this even in the morning. Because of the poor absorption, I've had to resort to using a towel on my pillow every night. I found it slightly stung on some areas of the face (which would go away) but that it really irritated my neck (I think the product would gather at the creases). I do think for those with sensitive skin, they should dilute this down. The morning after use, there would be a luminosity to the skin from the vitamin c.

The reasons that I'm giving it 2 lippies is that 1. I really didn't think the grittiness/oiliness would bother me that much until after I used this. I feel my night time routine has become a task I really dislike 2. I broke out in painful cystic acne from day 2-3 of use. I do have combo/oily, acne prone skin but it was quite clear before I started this. Squalane (second ingredient) is comedogenic. There are also 2 coconut derivatives (coconut is very comedogenic for me).

I will probably use this up by diluting this down and applying it on my body. I recommend caution if you are acne prone and using this product.

Ingredients: Ascorbic Acid, Squalane, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Coconut Alkanes, Ethylene/Propylene/Styrene Copolymer, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glucomannan, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Butylene/Ethylene/Styrene Copolymer, Acrylates/Ethylhexyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Trihydroxystearin, BHT

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is the first Vitamin C product I've bought where I've seen results. My post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation can take anywhere between 2-5 months to fade naturally but after using this for two weeks my new PIH is more than half gone and the older PIH is gone completely. My face is noticeably brighter while using this.

It is important to remember that Vit C (especially in such high concentrations) can be irritating. I used too much of this at first and it started to burn when I applied it and I got some nasty cysts. I scaled back my usage to once every other evening and am doing well.

The texture is a little unpleasant. It's quite runny and I have to make sure I open the tube facing upwards otherwise product spills out, and it's also a little gritty (barely, though) which is due to the L-ascorbic acid powder. I like patting it into my skin so it doesn't feel gritty. My face is pretty greasy after using this, but at such an affordable price and with visible results, I am sure to repurchase.

EDIT: I ran out of this while it was out of stock and started getting noticeably fewer breakouts, so I probably have a sensitivity to the coconut alkanes in it. However, if this doesn't break you out, wetting your face before using it counteracts the grittiness and most of the greasiness.

on 3/10/2017 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I'm on my second bottle of this. it's an excellent certain value. As you should with anything new, patch test and work your way up slowly. Don't let the price tag fool you: This is powerful stuff! I've found it to be very effective. The only reason I give it 4/5 instead of 5 is because it leaves a greasy film, so I can only use it at night unless I don't mind walking around looking like a greaseball during the day. It definitely has a gritty texture, byt I like it enough to get used to that. I'm Caucasian with normal, acne-prone, sensitive skin, and I'm 39 years old.

on 11/22/2017 2:37:00 PM

I used this inly a couple of times. The second time i used it my face was on fire. I tried to sit through it thinking the active ingredient was giod for me. But couldn't take it anymore! Had to wash it off. I woke up the next day with huge welt like patches where it hadnt been fully washed off (near my neck). And its still burning. Along with the gritty texture i would give the a 0. Will be throwing this one out!

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Despite this product not really liked by many people, I really love this product.

L-Ascorbic Acid is the main ingredient in this product. Known as pure form of vitamin c, this LAA really unstable in water form so I really understand why The Ordinary make this product waterless and silicone free and it haves gritty texture. I saw many people complain the strong tingling even experienced burning. If this product used alone, it will become too strong for skin and causes reactions. Best mix this with moisturizer, it reduces tingling sensation and works better on my skin.

With gritty, milky white runny texture, and weird chemical smells, this product really win my heart. I mixed this with my moisturizer and I woke up with smoother, brighter and glowing. I really saw my acne scars reduced and my pores smaller.

I only dislike the packaging. It makes me always accidentally poured products too much.

Definitely going to purchase again if I run out of my current suspension.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

EDIT: I've had to discontinue use after a few months of daily application, due to the significant skin irritation I've had, including a case of angular cheilitis that sent me to my doctor, along with peeling and a neck rash. This stuff is just too hard to tolerate, and I speak as someone using 1% Retin A and 20% azelaic acid with no problems at all. It breaks my heart to say it because it's so cheap! I will use it up mixed in with my body moisturiser and I'm now trying out the Timeless product--skin has calmed down almost immediately.

I think I might be the only person that doesn't have problems using this in the morning, under makeup. Vitamin C is best used in the morning, when it can help mop up UV damage. For me, this doesn't ball up. It doesn't sink in instantly like water based serums do, but the film on the skin is perfectly manageable if you leave it a few minutes. It does tingle but so do all good vitamin C products. The question for me is, how effective is it? How much penetrates the skin and is it enough? It hasn't been clinically tested, unlike Obagi or Skinceuticals, so we don't know, basically. But the Obagi is now £100 and this is £4.90, so it's a risk I'm willing to take!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

This product absolutely blew my mind. It's cheap first of all. The packaging is nice and silky. And oh my God the things it does to your skin. People were complaining about the gritty texture so I expected it to be big grits like a face wash. It isn't like that.. the grits are more like a fine sand. But like honestly, what do I care? As long as it works I couldn't care less about the texture. And boy does this stuff work! It burns a bit but my sensitive, redness prone skin LOVES it. I woke up in shock over how much it had reduced my redness, and even seemingly had already got to work on my acne scars and sun spots. I literally want to talk to everyone about this brand after my experience with this product and I'm going to back try some of their other stuff asap

on 2/25/2018 4:32:00 AM

I so wanted this to work for me! I stuck out through 2 tubes (bought 2 assuming it’d be fine!), but noticed no improvement.

As others have said, this STINGS. It’s so uncomfortable to use, and I find unlike a lot of acids that I’ve used, the stinging takes a long time to subside.

I have also noticed an odd scent to my skin- I even started washing my hands with a nail brush to scrub it away but would still be able to smell it at work the next day- stopped using this and that odd scent went away too. Not only that, but my pillow covers are ruined.

I did not notice any benefit to my skin despite these things, so I’m afraid I do not recommend this product, which is a shame because the price point (like other The Ordinary products) is incredible.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I dont feel as though the other posters were given enough information when purchasing this product.
It feels gritty because its little chunks of concentrated vitamin C. By gently working this onto the skin it should not be like exfoliating - should be using gentle hands while apply products to the face anyways!! If you are completely against the grittiness even though it contributes to its strength and effectiveness - the ordinary offers a silicone base one that is more like a serum and is not gritty. For the price and effectiveness of this product, its a steal!!

on 5/4/2017 8:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

smooths out all the little bumps on my skin!!
i had no idea what this was, the words were too complicated for me but i got it for the price and the rave reviews about the brand..
i have super oily skin and blackhead prone
this helps