Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.7

on 4/29/2017 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is a weird product and I hated it the first few times I tried it. I have melasma (hyperpigmentation) on my upper lip, which looks like a mustache and I have tried everything to lighten it with no results (or just light fading). I got this product and kept trying to figure out how to wear it under sunscreen in the am like you are supposed to do with a vitamin c product, it didn't rub in, it pulled horribly and I felt like I was just rubbing it all off. I watched a video where the lady said that anything with this high of a vitamin c should be worn at night as the formula can't be elegant due to the high amount of vitamin c. I use it at night every other night for 2 nights now and I have never seen such a lightening effect from a product and so fast! I've used it twice now this way and it still pulls like crazy but I just throw an oil on afterwards and pat it in trying to keep as much product on my skin as possible. If a product can be life changing then this is it but you may hate it at first until you figure out how to make it work for you.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I have purchased 5 items in this range. This was the first item I purchased from the range and I was so impressed that I have purchased the 1% retinol, the caffeine 5% solution and the natural moisturising factor. Let me styart by saying the feel of this product is grainy and not very nice. It does not improve when it goes on the skin as you can still feel the grains. It is fairly easy to apply and has enough slip to get a good coverage on the face whilst still using a small amount of product. I use a pea size to do my entire face. Unlike some people, I do not get any reaction such as tingling or redness, but I am a long time user of retinol and vitamin C, so perhaps my skin is just used to it.

Anyway, this stuff works!!! I was using LRP Redermic C prior to this and this is better! It is also one third of the price of the LRP product. My skin was looking better within a couple of days using this. I should clarify that my skin is very clear for my age (51). You can see in my profile picture that I am very fair skinned, but I still saw a difference after using this. I am about a month into this product now and I can't see myself ever returning to the pricier brands. I think the expensive skincare brands are going to have to pay attention to this company. They are producing a better product at a fraction of the price.

Edit 14th April 2017

I had a reaction when I used this after Neutrogena Pore Refining Exfoliating Cleanser. I don't know whether it was because my face was freshly exfoliated, but the stinging was quite intense when I applied the Vitamin C serum. Just urging a bit of caution. I still love this product, but it was quite uncomfortable applying it after exfoliation.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Many people have had problems with stinging and even severe irritation, but that hasn't been a problem for me. I think some of the problem may be that people who have never used a Vitamin C product before have used this instead of starting with something less potent. For them I would suggest trying one of the other formulas that The Ordinary has that are milder.
I have used Vitamin C products before this, so it wasn't such a shock for my skin. But I can honestly say that it was a shock to me when I looked in the mirror the morning after my first application of this and saw the incredible difference just one use had made! My skin was brighter, appeared more luminous and even toned than it had been the night before. There was such a difference that I kept checking my face in the mirror just to be sure I wasn't going crazy. I have never, ever had a skincare product that produced such fantastic results in just one application. I have been using it every other night, and my skin continues to improve in appearance. On the nights that I don't use this, I use the Azelaic Acid by The Ordinary which also works to even and brighten skin tone.
I honestly can't recommend this highly enough. It is a miracle in a,tube (the packaging was changed from the bottle to a tube). The only caveat is that I recommend trying a less potent form first before trying this. It's better to start with a lesser strength and work your way up, rather than jumping straight to this and running the risk of a severe reaction. For me, though, this is the holy grail of vitamin C serums.

on 10/23/2017 6:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I’m afraid that while there’s no denying this product is excellent value for money and provides a solution to the instability of vitamin c, I would not purchase again. The cons just out weigh the pros. I understand the science behind why it’s gritty but I find rubbing it into my face irritating, for some reason the taste always ends up in my mouth and lastly, for me a vit c product is for the mornings so retinols may be used at night. This just doesn’t work under make up particularly if you’re in a hurry. If you’re able to leave it for ages it’s not too bad but I find it balls and is gritty under the make up if doing a normal morning for work make up. I will try the newer one and see if it’s any better

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I did not enjoy this product. The grittiness of the HA spheres was too much for me to bear. Effects similar to other vitamin C products.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I like this stuff. A lot. I know the texture is grainy, and the packaging not great, but the cost and how it make my skin look is more than worth it. It is recommended to use this as a night treatment anyway so I have no issues with how it looks under makeup. I put this on a clean face, and the first few times I used it it was very tingly - almost uncomfortably so. It's a similar feeling to the green apple Peel if you have ever used that. If you fan you face for a few minutes tho it's fine. The next morning my skin looks amazing. Clear, glowing and even. The change in my skin since switching to The Original regime has been remarkable.

on 5/19/2017 11:10:00 PM

I'm not usually one to write a review but after reading the reviews on this one I had to.
I have skin that is sometimes oily sometimes dry. So combination I would say
I'm the type of person with a good skin care routine and uses very active products.
I use Paula's choice products, and alpha H gycolic acid already.
I wanted to use a vitamin C once or twice a week (when not using my gycolic acid product) for the benifits, so I purchased this product.
I found this really beneficial for my skin to use just after cleansing once a week (considering it's so cheats but has great ingredient). It's slightly oily but i just left it on with no moisturizer over night... I woke up with such a nice glow and soft skin. I didn't get the tingling or irritation but I feel as if this is because my skin is use to really active products, so if your not one with a good skin care routine or already active ingredients, it might take a while to get use to!
Hope this helps some people

My dermatologist recommended Vitamin C and I'm on my second tube of this one, having started with ZO Medical Vitamin C. I use it in the daytime over a serum and under an SPF moisturiser (as I use The Ordinary's Retinoid 1% at night) .

Initially, I used it at night but it stained my pillows and bed clothes. It also sits in my pores which were previously pretty much invisible and now are noticeably stained orange (if you look close-up). Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not really sure what it's supposed to be doing - certainly not brightening my complexion!

on 3/5/2017 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I make my own Vitamin C toner but ideally I've wanted to find something I can trust (more than my recipe, no matter how exacting I am), and is not expensive. Enter The Ordinary.

I wanted to like this, I really did! But I've compromised:

- Texture: the grit is horrible for faces. I wear VitC in the am as I wear other exfoliates in the pm, so I will be putting moisturizer/sunscreen/makeup on top. The grit will collect on other products and pill horribly.

- Greasiness: it's greasy, there is no other way to say it.

- Effectiveness: I believe it works well. The backs of my hands look remarkable, pigmentation has nearly disappeared after a month of use.

So my compromise is: I use this only on my throat and back of hands, because I only top with CeraVe AM moist/sunscreen. It is so darn cheap and lasts and is effective, for me it will be a great, inexpensive item for those areas. I might splurge a "little" for the face, like the Timeless, which seems to get good reviews here and on Amazon (and Fakespot).

on 11/13/2018 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

In my search of a vitamin C serum, I came across this. What drew me to this: price, 23% vitamin C. hyaluronic acid, and squalane, my favourite oil.

I apply this either as a serum or a mask in the morning.
- If I have time, I will do the mask: few drops of toner on my face to help with absorption > mix 1 part toner with 2 parts Vit C suspension > wait 15 min. > cleanser > rest of my routine. (The vit C mask was inspired by Lixir vitamin C wash off mask.)
- If I'm in a rush: cleanse > few drops of toner > mix 1 part toner with 2 parts Vit C suspension > rest of routine.

Application
-When applying it, it feels like a light cream.
-My skin is familiar with acids, so I don't feel anything. It stings a lot on open wounds though.
-I don't feel much grittiness either when I use it full strength. I only felt 3 - 5 tiny granules when I rub it in - no big deal. Maybe the formulation has improved?
-It leaves a slightly waxy feel and shine on skin. No stickiness. I don't know why others were complaining about the greasiness.
-Do note that if you leave it on your face, when you wash your face at night, you may find a light orange brown stain on your towel. It didn't leave a noticeable tint on my face. This usually happens when I'm outdoors for a few hours. I currently live in a highly polluted area where the AQI can exceed 100 during working hours. It didn't happen when I stay indoors.

Results
-I've been neglecting my skin for a while, so there were a couple of acne pigmentation on my face. This helped fade the marks fast. I see results after five days - I was pleasantly surprised to see a red post acne scab disappear completely leaving no marks behind. Note that it's a very recent acne scar. I find that vitamin C takes a longer time to heal old acne scars.

Pros:
-Cheap
-Squalane
-hyaluronic acid - the proper sodium one, not some fancy crosspolymer that's not found in skin
-23% vitamin C, a proven ingredient for lightening hyperpigmentation, boosting collagen and providing high antioxidant activity
-good texture, little grittiness, no tackiness, sinks into skin, slight waxy shine

Cons
-Hmmm ... you unluckily received a highly gritty product?