Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.6

on 12/2/2017 9:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Worked well for me. I've been using Vitamin C serums for the years so I wasn't expecting any miracles but more for maintenance. I love both SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic and Drunk Elephant's C-Firma but hate their prices, plus I have to rely on visitors returning from abroad to get my hands on them, which makes it difficult. The Ordinary was very hard to resist with its attractive price point! Anyway despite my years of Vitamin C usage I did occasionally experience mild tingling with the product. It was very random so overall it didn't bother me. To my pleasant surprise I found that it did a great job of keeping my skin even toned and I dare say it did seem to help lighten a patch of pigmentation on my skin .Nothing dramatic but it was noticeably improved (and I imagine the only way to truly eliminate the patch would be a trip or two to the dr's). This was based on my twice a day usage of an AHA exfoliant, this, plus rosehip oil. The only reason I'm not giving it 5 lippies is because of the it's slightly gritty nature. First few uses it bothered the hell out of me until I learned to either combine it with my face oil or lessen the amount dispensed. Will be interested to try the 30% in silicone base to see if it's just as effective for me minus the grit.

on 9/23/2017 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

There's almost an equal amount of love/hate for this product. I'm firmly in the love camp: I feel like I'm getting the benefits of a peel without any of the peeling! I've been using Skinceuticals CE+Ferulic for years, and I've been paying the big money because I thought it was really protecting my skin from sun damage. However, since moving to the beach it's not working that well, even though I'm fanatical about wearing sunscreen, a hat & glasses. When the price went up to $165, I put my foot down. I'm tired of spending a fortune on skincare. My skin is dry. It used to be sensitive, but is now pretty strong from daily Vit. C and weekly glycolic acid.

I chose this suspension because it was the only one from The Ordinary that didn't have silicones. As suggested on the website's regimen guide, I'm using this at night. (I bought the Resveratrol + Ferulic for day, and I'll review that once I've been using it longer. It's taking a lot of discipline to try these products one at a time!)

I was planning to start with a patch test, but when I didn't experience any burning I ended up putting it all over. I shake the tube, squeeze out a pea-sized amount, and spread it across my fingertips. That covers my face, neck, and chest. Make sure your face is dry -- I think water may exacerbate the burning sensation. I expected to feel major grittiness, but honestly, the powder in the formula is super-fine and was barely noticeable. It is also odorless. I gently massage the product in, and it all absorbs into my skin rather quickly. Don't use too much. After it absorbs, I top it with hyaluronic acid and moisturizer. (Love the squalane!) The only times I've felt any tingling was when I had a scratch near my eyebrow, and one time when I spritzed water on my face after applying the serum.

Even after the first use, I saw a difference in the morning. My skin was bright and glowy. Every morning my brown spots are more faded, and my skin is soft and clear. There is no dryness or flakiness. I've purchased the Ordinary's alpha arbutin to deal with brown spots, but I haven't added it to my regimen yet. But I'm really amazed at the results I'm getting from this one, inexpensive serum. It's a winner in my book!

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I came out looking like I had burns all over my face. I only applied a pea size over my moisturised face. I should have washed it off as soon as my face started stinging but waited until my face started to blister. It's taken weeks for my skin to go back to normal. Wish I could see the same results as some of the other reviewers are seeing with this product.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've been wanting to try The Ordinary products for a while now so I was thrilled to find it at my local Ricky's, and even more thrilled to purchase 3 products for under 40 bucks. When does that ever happen?

I purchased this, the high adherence primer and the Buffet. This is the stand-out winner for me (the other products were good too but this really wowed me).

I should preface with this: my skin is not sensitive and doesn't break out. I know that's been an issue for others with this product.

I've always found vitamin c (topical) to be highly effective but it's so hard to find a successful vitamin c product due to it's instability. Even high end products fall short sometimes. Before finding this I was adding the powder (cosmetic grade) to my skin by mixing it with an HA serum at the time of application, but that's a pain in the ass, REALLY gritty and while effective not nearly as much so as this.

The texture of this takes some getting used to and yes it's got some grit to it but I like that because at least I know the C is in there and still stable. Also, and this might be a bad idea but those are the only kind of ideas I have, when I apply it I use firm circular strokes and it acts as an exfoliant which I like. I also love that it's unscented.

There's a slight tinge of sting but again my skin isn't sensitive so that doesn't concern me, as it's hardly noticeable and it doesn't last long.

Most importantly, there's a marked difference in how my skin looks and feels the next morning when I use this the night before. It's very soft and smooth and still dewy to the touch, even after a full 8 hours of sleep.

If this were more costly I would probably use this less often and supplement with my diy C serum but thank God I don't have to because I'm pretty lazy and always looking for products effective enough to facilitate that laziness.

In summary, effective, no BS vitamin C treatment at an incredible price provided it agrees with your skin.

on 8/12/2017 7:17:00 AM

These are excerpts from a more detailed review I did (on about Pg 5 or 6 under “Suez777”).

Yes this product is initially not pleasant to use. It's a “dry” (ie: waterless) formula which needs moisture to break down the Vitamin C crystals, hence the inclusion of moisture-attracting Hyaluronic Acid (among other things). Water in Vitamin C formulations is problematic because it can cause the product to oxidise, turning it yellow, deep orange or brown. Once this happens it chemically changes from an ANTI-oxidant, which will prevent free radicals from damaging the cells of your skin to a PRO-oxidant which, in short, *encourages* free radicals to damage your skin.

Being 23% this can REALLY sting on first application when your skin is not used to such a high concentration. But if you smooth on an additional layer of Hyaluronic Acid first (which The Ordinary stock, and which this product already contains) then, before it dries add the C23, it eliminates the stinging immediately - GONE within 10 seconds!
This method is far superior to applying to damp skin (which, on me, only lessened the sting a fraction) or mixing with a moisturiser (which will impede maximum absorption).

I've very comfortably been able to use this C23 six or seven times since adding the extra HA layer, and also found that it in no way interfered with my skin’s ability to get accustomed to this high a dose of Vitamin C. Out of curiosity, I recently tried it without, and I'm happy to report that my skin has fully acclimatised and it felt just as comfortable as it had WITH the HA layer.

So I'd say to anyone thinking they're going to have to give up on this product because it's too hard to initially tolerate - the addition of extra hyaluronic acid at first will ease the transition until your skin gets used to it.

And persistence will be rewarded - after only a few applications your skin will be noticeably brighter and more even-toned, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results after 3 months.

I'd also suggest only using this at night so you can just wait for it to absorb instead of trying to rub it in. The gritty texture is going to act like an exfoliant which (combined with an already-powerful product) will likely become an irritant pretty quickly and may inflame your skin.
Once you wait 20 or 30 minutes I find the addition of a moisturizer seems to assist with the final stages of absorption (of both products). And again, just let them both sink in (don't rub).

NB: I also find that a richer, thicker emollient moisturizer helps it all to soak in - sometimes even two coats of moisturizer if there are still a few granules yet to be absorbed. (And slather it on. Skin seems to drink up moisturizer after applying the C23).

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

In February I introduced Vitamin C into my routine in the morning to help brighten my complexion and fade my pigmentation from acne in the past. The first one I used was the Clique Fresh Pressed Vitamin C serum, then the Hylamide Vitamin C oil, followed by The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23 % and now I am trying Drunk Elephant C Firma.

I prefer to use Vitamin C in the morning because I use a AHA or BHA lotion at night. I use vitamin C after I have cleansed my face in the morning on bare clean skin. I do this mainly because I feel as if its having the best effect as the first step but that might not be scientifically correct. I then follow the Vitamin C with a hydrating serum and then a water based moisturizer for the morning followed by SPF. Done!

The Ordinary Vitamin C is a gritty Vitamin C powder suspended in a white "cream". It is suspended in the cream to make powder stable. Because of this it has a gritty texture. In my opinion the grit doesn't really go away and is very difficult to work it in to your skin. It feels like an exfoliation when you are rubbing it in. The rough texture plus the vitamin c means this can very easily aggravate sensitive skin or even skin that isn't particularly sensitive like mine. I usually don't get red from Vitamin C, but this one really stung and was made worse by the fact you have to rub it in a lot to get the grit to go down. This is why I have rated it soo low. I just can't get along with the texture.

At this point I cannot speak for the benefits of the Vitamin C on the fading of pigmentation or brightening because I have only used this 5 times. I did not see immediate brightening or fading. I can't keep using it because its too irritating due to the gritty texture. I like the squeezy package and it gets bonus points for being so affordable. However I would prefer to spend more (which I know is a privilege) for a formula that is easier to use and feels better.

Sorry Deciem! Love the Hyaluronic Acid thought :)

on 7/11/2017 9:18:00 AM

This is a great product. Deciem say it is their most powerful vit c formulation and the only one I've tried. The texture is weird like they all say, it's a little gritty going on, but not at all uncomfortable. It is oily-feeling right after application, which I like, I skip moisturizer. I use this last after my other serums and treatments, due to the texture, at night, probably 3 times a week. My skin is very soft afterward.

on 6/16/2017 7:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

My skin has been pretty good over the last few years but I decided I needed to up the ante on my skincare now that I've passed 30. Started with this and so far it's the only The Ordinary product I have but I am quite impressed and plan on making a proper regime out of their products. This one has a very light gritty feel, for me I feel like it goes on quite dry but absorbs into a more oily? texture. It's a hard one to describe. At first I definitely felt the tingling, it was like little sharp pricks of a needle in different areas of my face but it wasn't irritating. Like I said a hard one to describe :D I use this about 2-3 times a week. I had a somewhat rare bad skin day recently where I had small bumps form from a new cleanser, I applied this overnight and in the morning my skin was smooooooth. Overall I like it and will continue to use it.

I found the smell unbearable and I just couldn't wear this cream. It made my eyes sting and water and the product wasn't anywhere near them. I was hoping because it was in a cream base it would make this Vitamin C product bearable but unfortunately no.

I can't comment on the treatment value and what it does for your skin because I couldn't wear it long enough.

I love most of The Ordinary skin treatments and use about six in my skin regime, unfortunately this is not one of them.

on 4/22/2017 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I'm the weirdo that kind of likes the gritty texture of this stuff — it makes it feel like the product really means business, as indeed it does.

My skin concerns are dryness, wrinkles, a tendency to hyperpigmentation, a tendency towards sensitivity. I'm 56 years old, with decent but certainly not perfect skin. This treatment definitely makes my skin tingle when I use it, which I do twice a week on my face, 3 or 4 times a week on my decolletage to combat sun damage (which it has helped with a lot). The tingle is nothing too severe and it's worth it to me to put up with it because I noticed visible improvement in the radiance and texture of my skin after first use. Subsequent uses over the last four months invariably yield the same positive results.

I use another Vitamin C serum by Deciem as well, a higher-end Hylamide product (Booster C25), that I also love. Switching between the two products works really well for me but I had very satisfactory results with just The Ordinary product before incorporating the more expensive serum into my routine.

I have purchased this product twice and will repurchase again.