Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.4

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like this a LOT. The texture is very runny, although the cream feels rich and is easy to spread on my face. It dries down really quickly though, and doesn't feel greasy at all. It's true that it's gritty, like a soft exfoliator. I read somewhere that a way to make it better is to mix it with hyaluronic acid (I use the one from the same brand). It dissolves the little "grains" and make it better. I use this on days where I'm staying at home; that's because vitamin C stops being active really quickly if it's mixed with other actives. For this reason, I think it's better to think of it as a mask that you would use as a cream and leave for several hours before washing it off. I think it's very effective, I can see that my pigmentation is fading, and it brightens my complexion a lot; my pores are a lot smaller, too. It's a great product, especially for the price point. I also use the 2% retinoid and the 10% lactic acid from the Ordinary, and my face has never been clearer- to the point where I feel okay going out without any foundation.

So! after being really angry with this product for the weird gritty texture, i finally worked out how to use it! i squeeze a little bit in between the palms of my hands and warm it up, like you woyld do with an oilserum... the grits dissapear and than i do put it on my face by patting it softly... like that i can use the cream in the morning before my la roche anthelios KA spf50+ . So instead of using it in the evening i use it now in the morning, and that's great so i can use The ordinary Retinoid in the night!! So happy with this discovery because i love what it does for my skin, it gives a nice glow and keeps my skin blemish free... if the brightning effect is working im not sure, i will have to use it longer to see the result...but for now really happy!

on 9/23/2017 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

There's almost an equal amount of love/hate for this product. I'm firmly in the love camp: I feel like I'm getting the benefits of a peel without any of the peeling! I've been using Skinceuticals CE+Ferulic for years, and I've been paying the big money because I thought it was really protecting my skin from sun damage. However, since moving to the beach it's not working that well, even though I'm fanatical about wearing sunscreen, a hat & glasses. When the price went up to $165, I put my foot down. I'm tired of spending a fortune on skincare. My skin is dry. It used to be sensitive, but is now pretty strong from daily Vit. C and weekly glycolic acid.

I chose this suspension because it was the only one from The Ordinary that didn't have silicones. As suggested on the website's regimen guide, I'm using this at night. (I bought the Resveratrol + Ferulic for day, and I'll review that once I've been using it longer. It's taking a lot of discipline to try these products one at a time!)

I was planning to start with a patch test, but when I didn't experience any burning I ended up putting it all over. I shake the tube, squeeze out a pea-sized amount, and spread it across my fingertips. That covers my face, neck, and chest. Make sure your face is dry -- I think water may exacerbate the burning sensation. I expected to feel major grittiness, but honestly, the powder in the formula is super-fine and was barely noticeable. It is also odorless. I gently massage the product in, and it all absorbs into my skin rather quickly. Don't use too much. After it absorbs, I top it with hyaluronic acid and moisturizer. (Love the squalane!) The only times I've felt any tingling was when I had a scratch near my eyebrow, and one time when I spritzed water on my face after applying the serum.

Even after the first use, I saw a difference in the morning. My skin was bright and glowy. Every morning my brown spots are more faded, and my skin is soft and clear. There is no dryness or flakiness. I've purchased the Ordinary's alpha arbutin to deal with brown spots, but I haven't added it to my regimen yet. But I'm really amazed at the results I'm getting from this one, inexpensive serum. It's a winner in my book!

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

This is honestly a life saver. My skin used to be very oily, i had a lot of pimples and blackheads, The Ordinary's vitamin c serum changed my skin completely!

I use it once a day, let it soak in for a few minutes (usually 15minutes or so), and ever since I started using this, I started seeing major changes in my skin.
It's no longer oily, i barely get any pimples now days, my pores aren't as visable as they used to be, and i barely have any blackheads at all. My skin is bright and naturally sheer. It's also soft and looks yound and not the teenage nightmare it used to be.
I recently bought the vitamin c 30% suspension in silicone and it's texture is a lot better than this one (so I'll be repurchasing the 30% and not the 23%), the 30% is very smooth while the 23% feels oily and gritty.

This product is definetly the best I've ever tried, the price is super affoardable and when using this on a daily basis with other The Ordinary products my skin feels and looks heavenly.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Many people have had problems with stinging and even severe irritation, but that hasn't been a problem for me. I think some of the problem may be that people who have never used a Vitamin C product before have used this instead of starting with something less potent. For them I would suggest trying one of the other formulas that The Ordinary has that are milder.
I have used Vitamin C products before this, so it wasn't such a shock for my skin. But I can honestly say that it was a shock to me when I looked in the mirror the morning after my first application of this and saw the incredible difference just one use had made! My skin was brighter, appeared more luminous and even toned than it had been the night before. There was such a difference that I kept checking my face in the mirror just to be sure I wasn't going crazy. I have never, ever had a skincare product that produced such fantastic results in just one application. I have been using it every other night, and my skin continues to improve in appearance. On the nights that I don't use this, I use the Azelaic Acid by The Ordinary which also works to even and brighten skin tone.
I honestly can't recommend this highly enough. It is a miracle in a,tube (the packaging was changed from the bottle to a tube). The only caveat is that I recommend trying a less potent form first before trying this. It's better to start with a lesser strength and work your way up, rather than jumping straight to this and running the risk of a severe reaction. For me, though, this is the holy grail of vitamin C serums.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

After reading several reviews I was concerned that this serum would be too much for my sensitive skin. Thankfully, I only felt a horrible burning sensation when I applied it on my neck. On my face, I only feel an intense tingling for a few minutes. The grit from the L-Ascorbic Acid powder doesn’t bother me I gently massage it in and the gritty texture dissipates within 10 to 15 minutes. The squalane that the vitamin C is suspended in, is hydrating and suitable for my dry but acne prone skin. I use it every morning under my Cotz Sensitive SPF 40, BareMinerals Original Foundation, and NARS RCC. As of this review I’ve only used it for the past 3 weeks so I have no significant changes in hyperpigmentation to report.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've been wanting to try The Ordinary products for a while now so I was thrilled to find it at my local Ricky's, and even more thrilled to purchase 3 products for under 40 bucks. When does that ever happen?

I purchased this, the high adherence primer and the Buffet. This is the stand-out winner for me (the other products were good too but this really wowed me).

I should preface with this: my skin is not sensitive and doesn't break out. I know that's been an issue for others with this product.

I've always found vitamin c (topical) to be highly effective but it's so hard to find a successful vitamin c product due to it's instability. Even high end products fall short sometimes. Before finding this I was adding the powder (cosmetic grade) to my skin by mixing it with an HA serum at the time of application, but that's a pain in the ass, REALLY gritty and while effective not nearly as much so as this.

The texture of this takes some getting used to and yes it's got some grit to it but I like that because at least I know the C is in there and still stable. Also, and this might be a bad idea but those are the only kind of ideas I have, when I apply it I use firm circular strokes and it acts as an exfoliant which I like. I also love that it's unscented.

There's a slight tinge of sting but again my skin isn't sensitive so that doesn't concern me, as it's hardly noticeable and it doesn't last long.

Most importantly, there's a marked difference in how my skin looks and feels the next morning when I use this the night before. It's very soft and smooth and still dewy to the touch, even after a full 8 hours of sleep.

If this were more costly I would probably use this less often and supplement with my diy C serum but thank God I don't have to because I'm pretty lazy and always looking for products effective enough to facilitate that laziness.

In summary, effective, no BS vitamin C treatment at an incredible price provided it agrees with your skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This actually works! I'm on my 2nd tube.

I have tried a lot of different Vit C serums. No matter how many months of use I never saw any results. I honestly wasn't expecting much from this either, but for the price point, the strength and how stable this is (no water) I had to try it.

I am blown away. I had 1 spot on my face that has never faded. After 2-3 weeks of using this, every other night, the spot is easily 50% lighter. That is incredible.

Yes, when you apply it you'll feel the tiny grits in it - which is the vitamin c powder. This is also why this formula is so stable (no water) and your getting close to the actual %. Most products will state their %, but it is actually far lower because it's diluted with ingredients that make the texture/consistency more cosmetically elegant and not stable. I had already read about the texture so I was expecting it. The texture of it doesn't bother me any though. I apply it over my clean face before bed. It sinks in.

I'm looking for results from products, how they feel or the consistency of it, is of no concern to me.

If you just can't stand how the formula feels, put it on damp skin, that will immediately release the vit c powder. If it's irritating to your skin you can use it with a bit of plain moisturizer to help buffer your skin. I personally had zero irritation from this. But I've been using various acids, retnoids, etc for years. So my skin is accustomed to it, and, I don't have sensitive skin to begin with.

The tube is small, which I like. But it is mighty. I use this on my face, neck, chest and hands. 1 tube lasts me a couple of months.

I would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone. If you just can't get over the consistency of this formula on your face, you can use it on your hands, chest, shoulders, anywhere. I think it it definitely worth buying to see what you think.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is my first product review, but I had to do it because I love love love this product. Yes, it's unpleasant to apply. It's gritty as all out, and especially in the beginning, and ESPECIALLY if you've never used a vit C product before, this is going to sting like the dickens. I've found that a tip below, to apply it immediately after a hyurlonic acid product (I use Hado Labo, but I know the Ordinary has its own) reduces both the grittiness and the sting. I would also encourage you to shake the bottle well before application. Yes, it makes my face a bit greasy feeling (and this coming from someone dry as the Sahara), and it takes time for it to sink in. I find that if I wait 5-10 minutes, and then top with a 'dry" oil, like the squalane product from the Ordinary, or any number of my other favorite facial oils, it sinks in faster and I can get on with my life. Finally, the most important part: results! I've used several vit C products over the course of several years, of various concentrations and costs. None have been as effective as this one. After patch testing, I tried this out one evening. The very next day, I noticed a startling difference in texture, brightness, eveness, and tone, and I thought I had pretty good skin to start with . I suffered a bad reaction to a product last summer that has left me with some stubborn PIH that no other product(s) have been able to really reduce. This stuff has virtually wiped it out withing a few weeks. Especially for the cost, this product cannot be beat. My one gripe would be the packaging. While I appreciate the Ordinary's dedication to making sure you can get every last drop, it's easy to dispense far too much product. However, at less than $10 a bottle, I'm not going to cry if a little is wasted here and there. Bottom line, YMMV, but for me, this is an HG product.

on 8/12/2017 7:17:00 AM

These are excerpts from a more detailed review I did (on about Pg 5 or 6 under “Suez777”).

Yes this product is initially not pleasant to use. It's a “dry” (ie: waterless) formula which needs moisture to break down the Vitamin C crystals, hence the inclusion of moisture-attracting Hyaluronic Acid (among other things). Water in Vitamin C formulations is problematic because it can cause the product to oxidise, turning it yellow, deep orange or brown. Once this happens it chemically changes from an ANTI-oxidant, which will prevent free radicals from damaging the cells of your skin to a PRO-oxidant which, in short, *encourages* free radicals to damage your skin.

Being 23% this can REALLY sting on first application when your skin is not used to such a high concentration. But if you smooth on an additional layer of Hyaluronic Acid first (which The Ordinary stock, and which this product already contains) then, before it dries add the C23, it eliminates the stinging immediately - GONE within 10 seconds!
This method is far superior to applying to damp skin (which, on me, only lessened the sting a fraction) or mixing with a moisturiser (which will impede maximum absorption).

I've very comfortably been able to use this C23 six or seven times since adding the extra HA layer, and also found that it in no way interfered with my skin’s ability to get accustomed to this high a dose of Vitamin C. Out of curiosity, I recently tried it without, and I'm happy to report that my skin has fully acclimatised and it felt just as comfortable as it had WITH the HA layer.

So I'd say to anyone thinking they're going to have to give up on this product because it's too hard to initially tolerate - the addition of extra hyaluronic acid at first will ease the transition until your skin gets used to it.

And persistence will be rewarded - after only a few applications your skin will be noticeably brighter and more even-toned, and I'm looking forward to seeing the results after 3 months.

I'd also suggest only using this at night so you can just wait for it to absorb instead of trying to rub it in. The gritty texture is going to act like an exfoliant which (combined with an already-powerful product) will likely become an irritant pretty quickly and may inflame your skin.
Once you wait 20 or 30 minutes I find the addition of a moisturizer seems to assist with the final stages of absorption (of both products). And again, just let them both sink in (don't rub).

NB: I also find that a richer, thicker emollient moisturizer helps it all to soak in - sometimes even two coats of moisturizer if there are still a few granules yet to be absorbed. (And slather it on. Skin seems to drink up moisturizer after applying the C23).