Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.4

on 4/15/2017 2:46:00 PM

I'm a big fan of The Ordinary (both their products and their philosophy) but this is one product that, simply put - is not pleasant to use.

EDIT: 9 July 2017:
This stuff can really REALLY REALLY sting on first application but I've found there is a very simple, easy solution that stops it IMMEDIATELY. I am amazed (stunned really) that one simple step could make such a massive difference. In the beginning I didn't know if I was going to be able to bear this product. Now I can look forward to it. Who knew?!!!

Here's the history;

Night 1: 15 April 2017
Being a hefty 23% the formula stings on first application and, for me, continued to sting for 20 minutes until I damped it down with a moisturizer. Even after that I could still feel it for another 15 minutes. It wasn't completely unbearable, but I'd liken it to the sting you feel if you've manually exfoliated then apply an AHA. But unlike that sensation - which goes away fairly quickly - this didn't. Still, I’d be willing to tolerate the prolonged sting if it eventually fully absorbed, but on me it didn't do that either. Even with a moisturizer applied 20 minutes afterward, an hour later it still felt grainy. Without it absorbing, I didn't feel it was doing its job properly and wasn't sure how much I was benefitting from it.

Other reviewers have stated two relevant things; (1) that if used regularly the stinging diminishes and (2) applying to a damp (or spritzed) face helps the granules to break down and absorb. I'll keep using it because I have faith in The Ordinary’s products, and will try the above suggestions.

Night 2: (two days later) 17 April 2017
Surprisingly after only a second application there is not much sting at all. After 10 minutes I don't know what I was complaining about!! (Was this a fluke or does skin really adjust that quickly??). I have dry (generally non-sensitive) skin but the difference between the first night's application and the second is night and day. (I would have persisted regardless but was preparing for an uncomfortable experience). Not so and I'm delighted.

NB:
It still felt grainy after 10 minutes (& admittedly I forgot to spritz my face beforehand) so I spritzed my face 10 minutes after application and strangely, with the addition of H2O, that brought the sting back big time (note to self: remember to spritz FIRST!!!). Did it help with absorption? Definitely! No grainy texture (but the water has also added sting where there was none before). It subsided within 10 minutes so, while uncomfortable, still better than Night 1.
I should also add that despite any prolonged sting, (on Night 1 or 2) I didn't have any redness or peeling at all in the following days.

EDIT - 1 July 2017
I hadn't actually used this again until tonight, so (hoping to help with absorption) I smoothed on a layer of The Ordinary’s Hyaluronic Acid first, then before it dried immediately put the C23 over the top. (It already contains HA so they're compatible). I felt the familiar stinging start but was hoping it'd be gone in 10 minutes. I checked the clock but needn't have bothered. Stinging GONE COMPLETELY within 10 seconds!! AMAZING. Especially compared to Night 1 where it went on for a painful 20 minutes (it was intense, and maybe why I haven't gone back to it).
So I've found my solution. The additional HA layer was absolute *magic*. Even the gritty-ness felt much reduced as I was applying it. Hallelujah!!
I also read somewhere that Vitamin C serums should be followed with a Vitamin E containing moisturizer so I did that and there was absolutely no residual gritty texture at all afterwards.This method worked like a charm and I've been using it often now that it's a more comfortable experience.

Also, a few weeks on and I've read a lot of articles and reviews.
(This one at the following link was one of the best and assesses all 4 of The Ordinary’s Vit C offerings).

FINAL UPDATE - 10 August 2017
I've been able to comfortably use this product 6 or 7 times now since adding the extra Hyaluronic Acid. But began to wonder if my extra layer was impeding my skin’s ability to get accustomed to this high a dose of Vitamin C. So tonight, just out of curiosity, I tried it without, and I'm happy to report that my skin has fully acclimatised and it felt just as comfortable as it had WITH the HA layer.
So I'd say to anyone thinking they're going to have to give up on this product because it's too hard to initially tolerate - the addition of extra hyaluronic acid at first will ease the transition until your skin gets used to it.

I'd also suggest only using this at night so you can just wait for it to absorb instead of trying to rub it in. The gritty texture is going to act like an exfoliant which (in an already-powerful product) will likely become an irritant pretty quickly and may inflame your skin. Once you wait 20 or 30 minutes I find the addition of a moisturizer seems to assist with the final stages of absorption (of both products. And again, just let them both sink in - don't rub).

Just on a separate note:-
The Ordinary have been criticised for not having a complete range and for having “single-ingredient” products but that's exactly why I like them. With my home pharmacy of little bottles I can turn any moisturiser or serum into an anti-ageing powerhouse. I benefit from the latest proven ingredients and don't have to throw away or waste an otherwise perfectly good product. They've filled a niche no-one else has and of course their prices are why this brand has achieved such high visibility in record time. (Note to other Manufacturers: you'll see higher profits by selling MORE products at vastly reduced prices than by being greedy and trying to sell a FEW products at inflated prices. You'll also get more return business. Women are sick of being ripped off, which is why The Ordinary is such a welcome breath of fresh air).

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: Woooo look at all the thumbs down after i said dont PM me about this. We have some real Einsteins on here!

11/6/2016: Please do not message me regarding this product...some of you don't understand what "dilute" means and I am scared for your skin's future. :\ :\ :\

------------
My face seems to hate plant based ingredients so I am trying to manipulate a way to use vitamin c on it. With that being said, I bought this for my body and lips. It was so good I actually bought 5 back ups on the next order after waiting a month for Deciem to restock it. The first time I ordered it was in a dropper bottle, this time around it is in a tube because people had issues getting the very last bit out. I didn't mind the original packaging but it is nice Deciem listens to complaints from customers.

Vitamin c is a powerful antioxidant. So it can reverse free radical damage on the skin along with UVA damage from the sun. Antioxidants help boost the efficiency of sun protection so I suggest wearing this during the daytime under sunscreen if possible. Additionally vitamin c is known for its ability to generate collagen synthesis, which is why I bother putting it on my lips. It's a great product to use on my body after dermarolling because it will aid in producing collagen and smoothing out my stretchmarks. It's also great for your hands and neck since they are usually the most neglected yet earliest to show signs of aging.

23% L-Aa is very strong. Studies have proven it only takes 10% to create results. Deciem created this product with the intention of customers diluting it in a base (such as your daily moisturizer). So if you feel it is stinging your face just dilute it. The stinging/burning sensation is even expected by Deciem/The Ordinary. It's just very strong. You'll get even more bang for your buck...on top of the fact the product is dirt cheap to begin with. If you are new to trying out vit c work your way up from 5% in strength until you know how your skin reacts.

The biggest reason The Ordinary's formulation gets my vote is they offer an anhydrous formula. Meaning it is water-free, and therefore a lot more stable than traditional vitamin c serums on the market. Vitamin c mixed with water is typically unstable and I've had plenty of $$$ vitamin c products turn before. Hell, my expensive Skinceuticals one oxidized before I could even use it.

Now for the cons... my biggest complaint by far is the fact they added coconut derivatives to the ingredient list. Most acne-prone skintypes will find the Coconut Alkanes and Coco-Caprylate/Caprate in this to be problematic. Since I only use this on my body and I don't tend to break out there, it's not a deal breaker for me. Squalane is also high up on the list, which is an oil. I'm not sure if Deciem is using a shark or olive based source but I'd just keep that in mind if you're prone to clogs from it.

I should note some people will hate the hyaluronic acid in this formulation, although most people find it to be a huge pro. Hyaluronic acid is known for it's ability to retain huge amounts of moisture BUT can potentially suck the moisture out of your skin if applied in the wrong conditions. With all skincare --- your mileage may vary.

I will repurchase for my body and lips.

---
Editing to add the ingredient list incase this helps anyone:

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

OK, so this is a complicated product, and my review is just my opinion. Some people may really like this product and I get it. So read through and if what I don't like about it doesn't bother you then definitely get it.

Cons:
The texture. And here's where I get scientific. Vitamin C is in powder form when it's added to cosmetics. The problem with it being in a water solution or a formula with water, is that it dissolves and oxidizes, limiting the shelf life and efficacy of the product. It requires other ingredients to be added to TRY and stabilize the vitamin C, enough to be effective. However water allows for better absorption.

This product is water-free, so it feels grainy- literally the powdered vitamin C added to the suspension. The problem is with application. 1. It sits on the surface, doesn't absorb well. It's dependent on the water in your skin to break it down and help absorb it. This means that though the formula is 23%, really probably only about 10-15% actually gets absorbed into the skin. 2. It's irritating. Label says mild tingling, but getting real, it stings and burns. While I did notice it helped with pigmentation on areas less sensitive (forehead, side of face), if left my cheeks red that didn't go away easily.

You can minimize both caveats by spritzing your face with hydrating water (Evian spray, Avene, rose water) and mixing it with a little moisturizer. That will help with the irritation/texture.

Pros: !t works, probably the best of all the vitamin C products I used, but at a cost. If you don't have particularly sensitive skin, then great this would work. Because it does work. It just takes some growing pains and creativity to get it on.

Also, it's cheap as hell!

So, I probably won't repurchase, because all of those cons are annoying. But I think this is definitely one of those products where your mileage may vary.

on 3/19/2017 11:17:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I am 52 with very dry skin and a lot of sun damage. Results from this, with 2 weeks use are simply amazing, although I am also using Hylamide serum and The Ordinary rosehip oil, so can't be sure if all the benefits are from this product. DRAMATIC reduction in pigmentation, fine lines plumped up and almost gone. Radiant skin - I have been getting unsolicited compliments.

I have in the last few days experimented usi g a small amount under makeup and and it stops me from drying out later in the day. This wouldn't be good under makeup if you have combination or oily skin. I apply very lightly under my makeup, and slather it on at night.

First few days the tingling was pretty intense but they tell you this will happen - it is powerful stuff - but my skin grew accustomed to it after a couple days use, and it is now a must-have.

The product doesn't look or feel that great going on. As everyone has stated, it is initially oily and gritty. With a light application, this goes away pretty quickly. I apply a LOT at night, so the unglamorous look doesn't matter so much when I can count on smooth, plump, glowing skin in the morning. I honestly can't wait to look in the mirror when I wake up, the results are so wonderful.

And it is cheap, cheap, cheap!

on 11/11/2016 12:40:00 PM

This stuff is fantastic. I have to thank Makeup Alley for pointing me toward this product when I was considering serums. I've bought five products from this line in the last month or so and will probably buy more. The prices in The Ordinary line are very low, too, which helps when you're trying new products.

The last person who gave me a facial told me my skin was pretty good, but I've always had issues with it—some acne, freckles and other sun damage, and a few persistent whiteheads which seemed destined only to grow with time—and I'm in my 40s, so soon wrinkles are going to join the "fun." As a general thing, the most I expect from skin care is to hold the line, as it were, and not make any of these things worse.

I've been using this treatment for about a month now, and the results have been amazing. All the things I mentioned above are getting visibly better, to the point that I've been using less foundation and even pulled the tinted moisturizer I was never confident enough to use from its place under the sink. (I've been using the vitamin C in conjunction with The Ordinary's rosehip seed oil, so I'm not sure the vitamin C can take all the credit!). Used regularly, this seems to be a legitimate route to better skin, and at a great price.

on 5/7/2017 6:57:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I'm going to try and keep this short as other reviews have explained the consistency and how difficult of a product this is to use.

Okay, my experience. 1st use....felt the hot prickling itchiness and skin went red, wasn't pleasant at all. Next day 2nd use...didn't feel what I felt the 1st day so was 🙂. Next day 3rd use...OMG felt the same as 1st use but much worser that I had to sit in front of my fan to cool my face down, it burnt my skin in small patches next day the skin was dry and peeling so It would have been very silly to use it the 4th night!!!

I had to heal my skin until it was back to normal again by moisturising a lot and removing the dead skin gently with a warm damp cloth...I stopped using all serums until skin was totally healed, only took a week. Once healed I tried it again but this time I spritz my skin with claudalie grape water after cleansing before applying the the vit c.....felt very minor stinging. Then I didnt apply again for another 5 day and again only felt minor stinging which subsided within a few mins. I will use this once per week to let my skin adapt to it and slowly build it up and use it only at night and only on nights when its not a retin a(tretinion) / acid / niacinamide night....as you must not mix either of these on the same night.

Secret is to spritz face before you apply this.
Start off once per week and build up.
Listen to your skin, don't keep applying if face is sore as you will cause more damage than good.

Great item, will buy again. I use on my face, neck, chest and back of hands... night only. Daytime I use the 12% ascorbyl glycoside from the ordinary but I'm finding this too sticky for my liking so am on search of another vit c for the day but I really want my skin to get used to the 23% as it a great product that does no oxidise and go bad and is cheap as hell...you just can't go wrong with this for night time use as ideally you do not want to apply vit c in the morning as it oxidises with light.

I also use the hylamide, matrixyl, buffet and niacinamide from the ordinary. I have a regime where I incorporate all these products on different days and nights.

I hope this helps. Sorry wasn't kept short lol

on 4/29/2017 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

This is a weird product and I hated it the first few times I tried it. I have melasma (hyperpigmentation) on my upper lip, which looks like a mustache and I have tried everything to lighten it with no results (or just light fading). I got this product and kept trying to figure out how to wear it under sunscreen in the am like you are supposed to do with a vitamin c product, it didn't rub in, it pulled horribly and I felt like I was just rubbing it all off. I watched a video where the lady said that anything with this high of a vitamin c should be worn at night as the formula can't be elegant due to the high amount of vitamin c. I use it at night every other night for 2 nights now and I have never seen such a lightening effect from a product and so fast! I've used it twice now this way and it still pulls like crazy but I just throw an oil on afterwards and pat it in trying to keep as much product on my skin as possible. If a product can be life changing then this is it but you may hate it at first until you figure out how to make it work for you.

on 4/22/2017 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I'm the weirdo that kind of likes the gritty texture of this stuff — it makes it feel like the product really means business, as indeed it does.

My skin concerns are dryness, wrinkles, a tendency to hyperpigmentation, a tendency towards sensitivity. I'm 56 years old, with decent but certainly not perfect skin. This treatment definitely makes my skin tingle when I use it, which I do twice a week on my face, 3 or 4 times a week on my decolletage to combat sun damage (which it has helped with a lot). The tingle is nothing too severe and it's worth it to me to put up with it because I noticed visible improvement in the radiance and texture of my skin after first use. Subsequent uses over the last four months invariably yield the same positive results.

I use another Vitamin C serum by Deciem as well, a higher-end Hylamide product (Booster C25), that I also love. Switching between the two products works really well for me but I had very satisfactory results with just The Ordinary product before incorporating the more expensive serum into my routine.

I have purchased this product twice and will repurchase again.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

OMG, yes!! Okay, the texture kind of sucks; it's a little greasy and gritty. It might cause some itching when first applied, but holy hell! I noticed a difference after 2 nights. My skin looked smoother and more even-toned. Truthfully, because this is a non-aqueous vitamin C suspension, I don't think they could change the formula to be more elegant and comfortable without sacrificing efficacy. I am ok with that. If you want a silky, milky, sweet-smelling spa treat, don't let me dissuade you from looking elsewhere. But, if you want the "Big Guns" and don't mind slathering on a less-than-elegant feeling treatment as long as it gets the job done (and at an amazing price to boot!) get this. Notes: I wouldn't recommend using directly after deep exfoliation. Probably not ideal for super sensitive skin- at least not full-strength. For more gradual absorption of the vitamin c, use on dry skin, not while still damp after cleansing. Some film-forming products will pill if applied over this.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I think I figured out how to make this product work.

Okay, first off, this product burned like f***. I just needed to vent, k?

The first three nights were unbearable and I couldn't deal with it. I've had to figure out how to apply this properly and adjust my routine around it.

1. This is, so far, not a good product for daytime, as the grease never seems to wear away. I recommend Silk Natural's serums as far as that goes, or Timeless, if you don't want to shell out the big bucks for Skinceuticals.

2. I wear this every other night, and try to use products that are more soothing otherwise, such as Niacinamide, and repairing, like peptides. I try to lay off the acids otherwise.

3. A dime sized amount is all you need, and I mix it in with a little lotion to add to my face. Bam. Grit that everyone is complaining about is gone. It seems to work better as a "booster" than a serum.

I need to test this a little longer to see if it's really superior, but for the price, not bad.

Note: This supposedly contains coconut derivatives which are comedogenic for some. I've had a few pimples but I'm waiting around to see if my skin gets used to it. Also, I've read that c needs vitamin e to work better, and I'm not sure this has that in it. Might want to wear it mixed in with a vitamin E moisturizer. CVS has a nice generic one that's about $5.

NOTE: This form of vitamin C clashes with Niacinamide!!! Don't use them together.