Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.1

on 10/16/2017 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I've been using this for a few days now, and I just can't get past the texture. It's gritty and feels more like a facial scrub than a serum. Plus it's very oily, it makes my face extremely greasy. I've developed a few small pimples on my forehead this week and I'm sure it's from this. Wish I could give it a better rating, but the texture is just too weird for me.

on 10/1/2017 12:43:00 AM

I really don't mind the "gritty" feel of this product if it was easier to use, and didn't burn my neck. I find that the only way I can use this is in the a.m., but normally it just doesn't look good under makeup. On days I work at home, I wear it around the house in the morning. One other problem is that if it drip s down on my neck, or gets mixed in with a moisturizer that goes on my neck- I end up with terrible burns. My poor neck looked like I had burned it with a curling iron. The only thing that seemed to help is the Aquaphor Healing Ointment, which I slathered on several times a day. Finally the scabs feel off, but now I have very red skin to cover up. I hope 30% product will suit me better!

So! after being really angry with this product for the weird gritty texture, i finally worked out how to use it! i squeeze a little bit in between the palms of my hands and warm it up, like you woyld do with an oilserum... the grits dissapear and than i do put it on my face by patting it softly... like that i can use the cream in the morning before my la roche anthelios KA spf50+ . So instead of using it in the evening i use it now in the morning, and that's great so i can use The ordinary Retinoid in the night!! So happy with this discovery because i love what it does for my skin, it gives a nice glow and keeps my skin blemish free... if the brightning effect is working im not sure, i will have to use it longer to see the result...but for now really happy!

on 9/23/2017 12:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

There's almost an equal amount of love/hate for this product. I'm firmly in the love camp: I feel like I'm getting the benefits of a peel without any of the peeling! I've been using Skinceuticals CE+Ferulic for years, and I've been paying the big money because I thought it was really protecting my skin from sun damage. However, since moving to the beach it's not working that well, even though I'm fanatical about wearing sunscreen, a hat & glasses. When the price went up to $165, I put my foot down. I'm tired of spending a fortune on skincare. My skin is dry. It used to be sensitive, but is now pretty strong from daily Vit. C and weekly glycolic acid.

I chose this suspension because it was the only one from The Ordinary that didn't have silicones. As suggested on the website's regimen guide, I'm using this at night. (I bought the Resveratrol + Ferulic for day, and I'll review that once I've been using it longer. It's taking a lot of discipline to try these products one at a time!)

I was planning to start with a patch test, but when I didn't experience any burning I ended up putting it all over. I shake the tube, squeeze out a pea-sized amount, and spread it across my fingertips. That covers my face, neck, and chest. Make sure your face is dry -- I think water may exacerbate the burning sensation. I expected to feel major grittiness, but honestly, the powder in the formula is super-fine and was barely noticeable. It is also odorless. I gently massage the product in, and it all absorbs into my skin rather quickly. Don't use too much. After it absorbs, I top it with hyaluronic acid and moisturizer. (Love the squalane!) The only times I've felt any tingling was when I had a scratch near my eyebrow, and one time when I spritzed water on my face after applying the serum.

Even after the first use, I saw a difference in the morning. My skin was bright and glowy. Every morning my brown spots are more faded, and my skin is soft and clear. There is no dryness or flakiness. I've purchased the Ordinary's alpha arbutin to deal with brown spots, but I haven't added it to my regimen yet. But I'm really amazed at the results I'm getting from this one, inexpensive serum. It's a winner in my book!

After reading reviews about this I decided to try it out as it is cheap and I knew to be cautious about initial discomfort. I have used other vitamin c serums before in various strengths so I am familiar with the effects.
My God! Discomfort!?! Burning like someone threw acid in my face. I tried it in microscopic amounts, before and after moisturiser and every other soothing carrier I could think of. Agony, redness, lumps. I looked like I had aged 10 years overnight.
If I wanted to look and feel this bad I could just go and stay with my mother in law who, according to my daughter,is so evil she drinks unicorn blood to survive.

on 6/12/2017 9:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have used vitamin-c and retin-a for a year, so I know how to use these properly and safely. I decided to try the ordinary 23% vit c. Should have washed it off when the BURNING sensation started but I thought I'd endure it as it would surely subside. It didn't. Finally washed it off but the damage was done. Chemical burns--very bad on jawline, chin and cheek areas. Be careful and if it seriously stings or burns, rinse thoroughly and wash it off! It's been almost two months and I'm still dealing with dry, peeling skin, itching, and rough, ugly skin texture in areas. Only using cerave cleanser for dry skin and food grade coconut oil to cleanse, and for moisturizing a 2% colloidal oatmeal cream by skintastic, Avene thermal water spray, and a b5 serum from timeless skincare. I hope the day will come that I can get back to my original regime. It was working. I shouldn't have tried the 23% vitamin c!

on 5/28/2017 11:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Horrible smell and bad breakouts. I think this is complete hype.. Definitely a pass for me. Will not buy again

I found the smell unbearable and I just couldn't wear this cream. It made my eyes sting and water and the product wasn't anywhere near them. I was hoping because it was in a cream base it would make this Vitamin C product bearable but unfortunately no.

I can't comment on the treatment value and what it does for your skin because I couldn't wear it long enough.

I love most of The Ordinary skin treatments and use about six in my skin regime, unfortunately this is not one of them.

on 5/2/2017 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

this product gave me cystic acne. It felt the same as using powdered vitamin C, which I can use and not get cystic acne.

on 4/15/2017 2:46:00 PM

I'm a big fan of The Ordinary (both their products and their philosophy) but this is one product that, simply put - is not pleasant to use.

EDIT: 9 July 2017:
This stuff can really REALLY REALLY sting on first application but I've found there is a very simple, easy solution that stops it IMMEDIATELY. I am amazed (stunned really) that one simple step could make such a massive difference. In the beginning I didn't know if I was going to be able to bear this product. Now I can look forward to it. Who knew?!!!

Here's the history;

Night 1: 15 April 2017
Being a hefty 23% the formula stings on first application and, for me, continued to sting for 20 minutes until I damped it down with a moisturizer. Even after that I could still feel it for another 15 minutes. It wasn't completely unbearable, but I'd liken it to the sting you feel if you've manually exfoliated then apply an AHA. But unlike that sensation - which goes away fairly quickly - this didn't. Still, I’d be willing to tolerate the prolonged sting if it eventually fully absorbed, but on me it didn't do that either. Even with a moisturizer applied 20 minutes afterward, an hour later it still felt grainy. Without it absorbing, I didn't feel it was doing its job properly and wasn't sure how much I was benefitting from it.

Other reviewers have stated two relevant things; (1) that if used regularly the stinging diminishes and (2) applying to a damp (or spritzed) face helps the granules to break down and absorb. I'll keep using it because I have faith in The Ordinary’s products, and will try the above suggestions.

Night 2: (two days later) 17 April 2017
Surprisingly after only a second application there is not much sting at all. After 10 minutes I don't know what I was complaining about!! (Was this a fluke or does skin really adjust that quickly??). I have dry (generally non-sensitive) skin but the difference between the first night's application and the second is night and day. (I would have persisted regardless but was preparing for an uncomfortable experience). Not so and I'm delighted.

NB:
It still felt grainy after 10 minutes (& admittedly I forgot to spritz my face beforehand) so I spritzed my face 10 minutes after application and strangely, with the addition of H2O, that brought the sting back big time (note to self: remember to spritz FIRST!!!). Did it help with absorption? Definitely! No grainy texture (but the water has also added sting where there was none before). It subsided within 10 minutes so, while uncomfortable, still better than Night 1.
I should also add that despite any prolonged sting, (on Night 1 or 2) I didn't have any redness or peeling at all in the following days.

EDIT - 1 July 2017
I hadn't actually used this again until tonight, so (hoping to help with absorption) I smoothed on a layer of The Ordinary’s Hyaluronic Acid first, then before it dried immediately put the C23 over the top. (It already contains HA so they're compatible). I felt the familiar stinging start but was hoping it'd be gone in 10 minutes. I checked the clock but needn't have bothered. Stinging GONE COMPLETELY within 10 seconds!! AMAZING. Especially compared to Night 1 where it went on for a painful 20 minutes (it was intense, and maybe why I haven't gone back to it).
So I've found my solution. The additional HA layer was absolute *magic*. Even the gritty-ness felt much reduced as I was applying it. Hallelujah!!
I also read somewhere that Vitamin C serums should be followed with a Vitamin E containing moisturizer so I did that and there was absolutely no residual gritty texture at all afterwards.This method worked like a charm and I've been using it often now that it's a more comfortable experience.

Also, a few weeks on and I've read a lot of articles and reviews.
(This one at the following link was one of the best and assesses all 4 of The Ordinary’s Vit C offerings).

FINAL UPDATE - 10 August 2017
I've been able to comfortably use this product 6 or 7 times now since adding the extra Hyaluronic Acid. But began to wonder if my extra layer was impeding my skin’s ability to get accustomed to this high a dose of Vitamin C. So tonight, just out of curiosity, I tried it without, and I'm happy to report that my skin has fully acclimatised and it felt just as comfortable as it had WITH the HA layer.
So I'd say to anyone thinking they're going to have to give up on this product because it's too hard to initially tolerate - the addition of extra hyaluronic acid at first will ease the transition until your skin gets used to it.

I'd also suggest only using this at night so you can just wait for it to absorb instead of trying to rub it in. The gritty texture is going to act like an exfoliant which (in an already-powerful product) will likely become an irritant pretty quickly and may inflame your skin. Once you wait 20 or 30 minutes I find the addition of a moisturizer seems to assist with the final stages of absorption (of both products. And again, just let them both sink in - don't rub).

Just on a separate note:-
The Ordinary have been criticised for not having a complete range and for having “single-ingredient” products but that's exactly why I like them. With my home pharmacy of little bottles I can turn any moisturiser or serum into an anti-ageing powerhouse. I benefit from the latest proven ingredients and don't have to throw away or waste an otherwise perfectly good product. They've filled a niche no-one else has and of course their prices are why this brand has achieved such high visibility in record time. (Note to other Manufacturers: you'll see higher profits by selling MORE products at vastly reduced prices than by being greedy and trying to sell a FEW products at inflated prices. You'll also get more return business. Women are sick of being ripped off, which is why The Ordinary is such a welcome breath of fresh air).