Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Filtered by age: 30-35
Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.3

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Holy moley what did I apply on my skin last night? Being no stranger to Vit C serums (GOW 23% for example) I thought nothing could possibly go wrong with The Ordinary's 23% concentration. Boy was I wrong. Within 60 seconds of applying this gritty and very oily-feeling product I could no longer stand the tingling (for want of a better word) sensation and washed this off with tepid water and a washcloth. I'd love to say that was it but the redness and uncomfortable sensation remained for hours until I got out of my bed and applied some Hydrocortisone cream at about 2AM.

Its a shame I had such an adverse reaction as this could have been a very cost effective substitute for some of the fancier Vit C serums I use. If you're normal to dry and not overly sensitive then give this a try. It is inexpensive for a Vit C product and won't leave you out of pocket if it doesn't agree with you.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

This was my absolute favorite product from the ordinary for a white, it’s instantly incredibly brightening & I noticed a lot of improvement in my skin, HOWEVER, I have really struggled to layer this product with other elements of my skincare without piling or a ‘greasy’ looking finish. I am now trying to use the 12% vitamin C water-based product from the ordinary as I find this layers much better. Having said that I find this was by far the most visibly brightening between the two so hopefully if I go back to this product and use a very small amount I will be able to make it work for me. Strong pros but strong cons.

on 6/19/2018 8:13:00 PM

I read a lot of reviews before trying this serum so I knew what I was getting. Frankly I was shopping for the price, because if I’m going to use a product very consistently I’d prefer it be inexpensive. This serum is a bit different than most Vit C serums I have tried. It feels more like a lotion, but goes on gritty and somehow also greasy at the same time. It definitely stung my skin and even after a week of daily application still tingles when I apply it. I don’t really mind that because it makes me feel like it’s working, but that’s just me. To help with the grittiness I apply the serum after splashing a bit of water on my face. It seems to break down the grit and helps with the stinging as well. It feels much more absorbed on the skin than application onto dry skin. All in all, great bang for your buck, if you’re not weirded out by strange textures. I’d prefer to be able to apply it twice per day, but I can only use during my PM routine because of the way it feels/looks on my face.

I used to use a different Vitamin C serum but I think they changed their formula and I didn't like it anymore so I bought this. I use the niacinimide in the morning and this at night. My main problem is hyper pigmentation and this seems to be helping, along with niacinimide. The grittiness doesn't bother me-- it seems to dissolve pretty easily.

I ran out of my usual vit c serum and decided to try this (it was easily available). It’s not something i will repurchase but I will use it up.
The major issue I have is the comfort of using this product, I absolutely hate the feeling on my face - so gritty. The stinging in comparison to other products is a lot stronger, this doesn’t bother me that much as it subsides quickly but it is noticeable.
Does it work? Yeah, just not as good as the other stuff I normally use, also this one i have to use at night only, it’s awful under my make up.
Doesn’t cause breakouts on me or any allergic reaction but i am used to vit c serums.

I really like this product and actually think the brightening effects are more noticeable than with The Ordinary Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate (a vitamin C derivative), which surprised me because the latter is more pricey and has much better reviews on MUA. So far, I think I'd be more likely to repurchase the Vitamin C Suspension because I simply think it works better for me.

For the cons, this product is indeed gritty, and it is a little unpleasant to apply for that reason. I definitely would not want to use this product during the day. I don't wash my face in the morning, and I can report that by the morning the grittiness isn't the slightest bit noticeable, and it doesn't affect my makeup application at all. I'm only really aware of it when I first apply it. It would be a problem for me if in the morning I still felt the little grains on my face, but this isn't the case.

This product also feels kind of intense, your face feels kind of warm when you first apply it, as other reviewers have said. I also notice stinging under my nose - but only there, for some reason - so those with very sensitive skin might not be able to use this one.

Bottom line, this product is a bit uncomfortable to apply. I understand that complaint from other reviewers.

But aside from that, as I said before I really think it works, and I notice my skin feeling healthier and looking brighter and more even the next day.

Another thing I really like is that it's actually super moisturizing. I wait for a while after applying serums to moisturize because I've heard you should let it dry/absorb a bit. I usually hate this part as someone prone to dry skin, because I want to apply moisturizer ASAP after cleansing and toner, and during the waiting period I feel like my skin is going to turn into a flaky mess.

But the Vitamin C Suspension itself feels like a moisturizer, so waiting to apply my real moisturizer is much easier. Last night I nearly forgot to moisturize because my skin felt like I already had. This is a huge plus for me.

The other thing I like is the plastic packaging. I'm fine with glass bottles, but when I travel this is the serum I always take with me because I don't have to worry about it breaking in my suitcase.

on 2/5/2018 9:40:00 PM

I wanted to try a stronger formula of Vitamin C, and although the review of this product made me backed down a bit, I settled that I've always had a resilient skin so why not try, it's very affordable anyway.

I think this is the very first skincare that has ever made my skin sting like HELL and I started developing pimple here and there-not much, but it's visible. At first, I used it twice a day; morning and evening. So I thought maybe that's why it's too harsh for me (despite my thick skin) so I reduced it to morning use only (I live in tropical country and I spent approximately 2 hours everyday outside so I need a good anti-oxidant). I still can't bear the stinging sensation, especially because I have to layer it with sunscreen and make up. Finally, I switched it to evening use only and it works BEST.

Yes this is not an easy product to get along with, but with its amazing ingredient and crazy, cheap price, I think we must do the extra work to fit in with this product :)

Just be careful with the tube though, it always made me spill out too many product in the beginning.

on 10/23/2017 6:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I’m afraid that while there’s no denying this product is excellent value for money and provides a solution to the instability of vitamin c, I would not purchase again. The cons just out weigh the pros. I understand the science behind why it’s gritty but I find rubbing it into my face irritating, for some reason the taste always ends up in my mouth and lastly, for me a vit c product is for the mornings so retinols may be used at night. This just doesn’t work under make up particularly if you’re in a hurry. If you’re able to leave it for ages it’s not too bad but I find it balls and is gritty under the make up if doing a normal morning for work make up. I will try the newer one and see if it’s any better

on 10/19/2017 11:37:00 PM

This product gave the worst BREAK OUT I've had in years! ... After using The Ordinary's Buffet and Niacinamide for over a month and noticing a nice improvement in my skin condition (way less dry patches and less noticeable pores), I decided to incorporate Vitamin C 23% along with Resveratrol 3% + Ferulic Acid 3% (like The Ordinary recommends on their site) I kept using Buffet+Niacinamide at am and did VitC+Resveratrol at pm. There was definitely tingling and there was definitely a gritty texture, I did not mind this at all, what I did mind was how oily this was. I woke up with my face still covered in 'grease'. I reduced the amount considerably the second time I used it (half a pea size of VitC and 2 drops of Resveratrol. The second day I woke up with two pimples/nodules. I kept using it in very tiny amount since I thought the pimples were stress/diet related. After 3 weeks I am now convinced this product caused my break out. I watched my diet and whiteheads and nodules just kept coming. It will take my skin months to recover and the marks on my skin are going to be way worse than before I started using this. This may have worked for some people but not for me. My face has not look like this since I was in high school. For the record, I have mature oily and dehydrated skin and an occasional pimple was never wierd (usually during stressful periods, like a pimple every 2 months or so) My skin was starting to get better before I introduced this product in my rutine.

on 10/6/2017 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I have no idea whether or not this product works, because I only used it a couple times before I gave up. The texture is hard to get used to. It's gritty, which I could get past, but it's also really greasy - which was the deal-breaker for me. It tastes like oranges if you get any on your lips.