Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.4

on 11/13/2018 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

In my search of a vitamin C serum, I came across this. What drew me to this: price, 23% vitamin C. hyaluronic acid, and squalane, my favourite oil.

I apply this either as a serum or a mask in the morning.
- If I have time, I will do the mask: few drops of toner on my face to help with absorption > mix 1 part toner with 2 parts Vit C suspension > wait 15 min. > cleanser > rest of my routine. (The vit C mask was inspired by Lixir vitamin C wash off mask.)
- If I'm in a rush: cleanse > few drops of toner > mix 1 part toner with 2 parts Vit C suspension > rest of routine.

Application
-When applying it, it feels like a light cream.
-My skin is familiar with acids, so I don't feel anything. It stings a lot on open wounds though.
-I don't feel much grittiness either when I use it full strength. I only felt 3 - 5 tiny granules when I rub it in - no big deal. Maybe the formulation has improved?
-It leaves a slightly waxy feel and shine on skin. No stickiness. I don't know why others were complaining about the greasiness.
-Do note that if you leave it on your face, when you wash your face at night, you may find a light orange brown stain on your towel. It didn't leave a noticeable tint on my face. This usually happens when I'm outdoors for a few hours. I currently live in a highly polluted area where the AQI can exceed 100 during working hours. It didn't happen when I stay indoors.

Results
-I've been neglecting my skin for a while, so there were a couple of acne pigmentation on my face. This helped fade the marks fast. I see results after five days - I was pleasantly surprised to see a red post acne scab disappear completely leaving no marks behind. Note that it's a very recent acne scar. I find that vitamin C takes a longer time to heal old acne scars.

Pros:
-Cheap
-Squalane
-hyaluronic acid - the proper sodium one, not some fancy crosspolymer that's not found in skin
-23% vitamin C, a proven ingredient for lightening hyperpigmentation, boosting collagen and providing high antioxidant activity
-good texture, little grittiness, no tackiness, sinks into skin, slight waxy shine

Cons
-Hmmm ... you unluckily received a highly gritty product?

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Yes, I agree that it is gritty, that it smells funny and that the oily liquid texture is prone to leaking out of the tube, but this single treatment is the one I ordered over 5 bottles of and have gifted them to friends. It works, as simple as that. DECIEM tells you that you can mix this with the hydrators (AAC is water soluble but not stable once in contact with water) to smoothen out the texture and it works! Try adding a couple of drops of any of their watery serum to your VC next time, it turns into a gel-cream texture that is very easy to smooth on. After using only two nights, my redness and recent breakouts have calmed down dramatically. I also woke up to brighter, more even-looking skin that needed less foundation! Do use more sunscreen than usual since you have to protect your skin as well as maintaining it with actives. I recommend this product to anyone looking to keeping their collagen level intact and who have dull looking skin.

on 10/25/2018 4:35:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I just can't get on with this product.
The grits feel really unpleasant and I can't see any difference in my skin - if anything my blocked pores seem to have gotten worse?
I will try one of the ascorbic acid serums instead.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This product really cannot be worn under makeup,or even at night,for me.
It remains sticky and gritty and I cannot possibly see putting anything over it
without it being a disaster,and it would rub off onto my pillowcase if I used it
at night.

That said,I have found a use for it. If I am home during the day,I will put it on as
a mask and leave on for as long as I can....I figure my skin will get some of the Vit C
benefits,so it's not a total loss.

Will not repurchase this,but looking forward to trying the Vit C powder,as I love
the Philosophy one.

No big deal in trying this,it's cheap enough

on 9/5/2018 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

So I jumped on the Ordinary bandwagon and just went crazy. By far, this brand is one of the best skincare finds of the century. Most of the products worked well for me and considering the price, I really don't have any complaints. However, as always, some products work better than others.

This one falls to the bottom of the pack for me, for the same reason as the Alpha Lipoic Acid. It works but it's just too unpleasant to use. The grainy bits disappear when I use it with a moisturiser but even then, it stings and it sits heavily on the skin for quite a long time, not really absorbing.

on 8/28/2018 8:40:00 PM

This is wonderful ,what it contains and for THAT price!!!
Yes;i have skipped Paulas Choice& im ceratnly not the obly one!,they are not the old slogan company that claimed :Everyone should afford good skincare company.
But enough about them.
I have very dry skin.
I mix the buffe serum %matrixyl serum and put it on my face.I then i blend a mix of TO oils and mix it with this amazing mosituraizer.
I let the cream get little vaem in my hand first.
Im so happy for the ordinary(for me they ate pc now).

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Holy moley what did I apply on my skin last night? Being no stranger to Vit C serums (GOW 23% for example) I thought nothing could possibly go wrong with The Ordinary's 23% concentration. Boy was I wrong. Within 60 seconds of applying this gritty and very oily-feeling product I could no longer stand the tingling (for want of a better word) sensation and washed this off with tepid water and a washcloth. I'd love to say that was it but the redness and uncomfortable sensation remained for hours until I got out of my bed and applied some Hydrocortisone cream at about 2AM.

Its a shame I had such an adverse reaction as this could have been a very cost effective substitute for some of the fancier Vit C serums I use. If you're normal to dry and not overly sensitive then give this a try. It is inexpensive for a Vit C product and won't leave you out of pocket if it doesn't agree with you.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Face Scrub: ‘Sisley' - Botanical Gentle Buffing Cream
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

on 8/25/2018 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I would not repurchase. This is a mediocre product at best. It's gritty, can sting, and doesn't mix well with other products. I used an entire tube and it had no impact on my skin. I love vitamin C serums for brightening, but much prefer other brands. I've tried a number of The Ordinary's products and none have worked for me. Maybe this line just isn't for me.

Well, despite being powerful, most of the Ordinary products are not elegant looking on the skin, including this one. It applies shiny and sticky and catches your hair. Also, it transfers everywhere. I mix it with Avene skin recovery cream to dilute it and to avoid the gritty-ness. In this way, it doesn't really tingle. Sometimes I mix it with the Ordinary 0.5% retinoid. It doesn't tingle but feels gritty. But I think I would try something lighter later on to cut down the greasiness. The package is not smart as the product keeps leaking out. But I guess the suspension form combining the package does help to stop vitamin C from oxidising because the product I squeeze out is white but the residue around the opening hole has turned yellow. And this is important for a VC product! I've only used it on and off for a month so I am not sure about the effect. But I might update.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I would consider this a mediocre product like an overall 6.5/10.
I have oily skin type with occasional breakouts and this formula
runs on the "oilier-grittier side". Apply too much product at once
and the "skin boogers" appear as you apply it in a circular motion..
if you know what I mean :'( On the package, it says you are
supposed to apply a little product after heavier creams since it's
more on the emollient side. Hence, I cannot apply this in the morning,
otherwise, I will become a grease ball by the end of the day.

*** Also, as with many concentrated products, many 1st time users may experience a "skin purging"
which happened to me. I definitely got acne flares on places of application. For sure, start slow and
gradually increase the product.