Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

Deciem The Ordinary Vitamin C Suspension 23% + HA Spheres 2%

3.4

on 3/18/2019 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This stuff was SUPER OILY and just doesn't seem to sink into my skin - regardless if it was layered first or last. I've got oily skin and this was definitely not the product for such skin types. Also, I live in the tropics where humidity is like 99% during the day and 85% during the night. I think this could be really moisturizing in lower humidity climates (because of the squalane), but the closer you get to the equator, the more you'll look like an oil rig - unless you've got air conditioning on all day.

on 3/11/2019 3:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Firstly, I'm impressed, but I don't use it on my face. Sometimes I use it on my neck, and it's very irritating if I use it too many days in a row-- causes burning, redness, and intense itching. I've been using this on my arms and chest (mixed with a HA serum or just some water) in the PM. It has really helped improve texture and sun damage. Effective and affordable!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I have been using Timeless 20% for almost two years, and wanted to try something cheaper. I didn’t experience the burn people talk about with this, and I think it’s because my skin is used to a high concentration of Vitamin C, nor did I experience any grittiness, but it just seems like this stuff never sinks in! I don’t use a large amount, but this is driving me crazy. I’m going to reorder my Timeless, and stick with what works for me.

on 2/24/2019 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I really like this product. Everyone seems to be saying its ‘gritty’ and I thought I must have received my tube from a different batch as mine was not gritty at all. Well I just received my second tube and openend it just to check - no, exactly the same texture. For me, its not gritty, at all. It - did- however sting a bit when I first started using it, these days no more and I almost kind of miss the stinging as for me it was a ‘proof’ that it was working (!). Like with all The Ordinary products its excellent value for money and my skin seems to like it. Not having quite finished up my first tube I can’t yet tell how deep the changes are but I use mine at night and my skin seems bright and plump in the morning. Will continue with this one. I also got the ascobic acid pure powder to mix with a moisturiser but I prefer this one. So far so good.

on 1/18/2019 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Yes I love it!

on 12/31/2018 10:19:00 PM

Like summerseabreeze said, it had a gritty fell and the stuff made my face sting. Overnight, it burned a hole on my chin and triggered a dermatitis rash on my forehead. I was able to return it to the store for a refund.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Now I have to admit I'm definitely no stranger to Vit C serums (GOW 23% for example) and so I thought nothing could possibly go wrong with The Ordinary's 23% concentration... but boy was I wrong. Within 60 seconds of applying this gritty and very oily-feeling product I could no longer stand the tingling (for want of a better word) sensation and washed this off with tepid water and a washcloth. I'd love to say that was it but the redness and uncomfortable sensation remained for at least 30 minutes afterwards. Didn't attempt using this again on my face.

It's a shame as this could have been a very cost effective substitute for some of the fancier Vit C serums I use. If you're normal to dry and not overly sensitive then give this a try. It's pretty inexpensive for a Vit C product and won't leave you out of pocket if it doesn't agree with you.

Turns out there is some way to salvage this, at least in my case. Have used very lightly mixed with a dab of Aveeno lotion and applied to elbows and knees. No difference so far (7th night) but promisingly no reaction either so will continue until used up.

Selena x

~ My HG list ~

1. Hair Loss Treatment: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Hair Oil
2. Lip Balm: 'Nuxe' - Reve De Miel Lip Balm
4. Cleanser: 'Paula's Choice' - Skin Balancing Cleanser
5. Concealer: ‘Mac’ - Studio Finish Concealer
6. Lash Growth Serum: ‘Divine Herbal’ - Divinelash
7. Foundation/SPF: ‘Juice Beauty’ - Stem Cellular Repair (warm glow)
8. Foot File/Callus/Heel Treatment - 'Microplane' - Colossal Pedicure Rasp Foot File
9. Moisturizer: ‘Antipodes' - Rejoice Light Day Cream
10. Hand Cream: 'Origins' - Make A Difference Rejuvenating Hand Treatment

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I am 51 with modest wrinkles starting, horizontal wrinkles, vertical wrinkles due to sagging skin and lack of moisture wrinkles that I've always had. My regular skincare was Asian (actually Chinese, cheaper than Korean but same effects). I have used a combination of Ordinary products for over a month. It did absolutely nothing for me. If at all my skin looks worse because its not hydrated enough. Non of my wrinkles have improved not even the lack of moisture ones which usually improve with even the cheapest moisturizer. Back to my much beloved Asian skincare.

What I have used: Matrixyl 10%, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate and Natural Moisturizing factors + Ha. I have also used the Vitamin C Suspension 23% and the Caffeine eye treatment but I binned those right away because the Caffeine made my eyes look worse and the C suspension smells like plastic and is even more uncomfortable on the skin than the other stuff.

on 11/13/2018 12:16:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

In my search of a vitamin C serum, I came across this. What drew me to this: price, 23% vitamin C. hyaluronic acid, and squalane, my favourite oil.

I apply this either as a serum or a mask in the morning.
- If I have time, I will do the mask: few drops of toner on my face to help with absorption > mix 1-2 part emulsion (in this case cerave PM) with 2 parts Vit C suspension > wait 15 min. > micellar water swipe > rest of my routine. (The vit C mask was inspired by Lixir vitamin C wash off mask.)
- If I'm in a rush: cleanse > few drops of toner > mix 1-2 part emulsion with 2 parts Vit C suspension > rest of routine.

Application
-When applying it, it feels like a light cream.
-My skin is familiar with acids, so I don't feel anything. It stings a lot on open wounds though.
-I don't feel much grittiness either when I use it full strength. I only felt 1 - 3 tiny granules when I rub it in - no big deal. Maybe the formulation has improved?
-It leaves a slightly waxy feel and shine on skin. No stickiness. I don't know why others were complaining about the greasiness.
-It has a smell, hard to describe, but I don't mind
-Do note that if you leave it on your face, when you wash your face at night, you may find a light orange brown stain on your towel. It didn't leave a noticeable tint on my face. This usually happens when I'm outdoors for a few hours. I currently live in a highly polluted area where the AQI can exceed 100 during working hours. It didn't happen when I stay indoors.

Results
-I've been neglecting my skin for a while, so there were a couple of acne pigmentation on my face. This helped fade the marks fast. I see results after five days - I was pleasantly surprised to see a red post acne scab disappear completely leaving no marks behind. Note that it's a very recent acne scar. I find that vitamin C takes a longer time to heal old acne scars.
-Update (2019/1/12): However, even after I diluted this with a toner, this makes my skin slightly red and tight. I suppose oiliness + highly acidic doesn't work with my skin

Pros:
-Cheap
-Squalane
-hyaluronic acid - the proper sodium one, not some fancy crosspolymer that's not found in skin
-23% vitamin C, a proven ingredient for lightening hyperpigmentation, boosting collagen and providing high antioxidant activity
-good texture, little grittiness, no tackiness, sinks into skin, slight waxy shine

Cons
-Hmmm ... you unluckily received a highly gritty product?
-Update (2019/1/12): Makes my skin slightly red. I avoid anything that does that because skin inflammation is damaging to skin. Two lippies off. I won't be repurchasing this.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Yes, I agree that it is gritty, that it smells funny and that the oily liquid texture is prone to leaking out of the tube, but this single treatment is the one I ordered over 5 bottles of and have gifted them to friends. It works, as simple as that. DECIEM tells you that you can mix this with the hydrators (AAC is water soluble but not stable once in contact with water) to smoothen out the texture and it works! Try adding a couple of drops of any of their watery serum to your VC next time, it turns into a gel-cream texture that is very easy to smooth on. After using only two nights, my redness and recent breakouts have calmed down dramatically. I also woke up to brighter, more even-looking skin that needed less foundation! Do use more sunscreen than usual since you have to protect your skin as well as maintaining it with actives. I recommend this product to anyone looking to keeping their collagen level intact and who have dull looking skin.