Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

2.7

on 2/25/2016 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

This was my first Drunk Elephant purchase. I purchased the serum because the message behind the company appealed to me. It is a new company that incorporates both natural and synthetic ingredients that are cutting-edge and effective. The company believes that today's regulations allow companies in both the natural and synthetic categories to use harmful, toxic ingredients. I started going a more natural route in my skincare routine to avoid some irritating synthetic ingredients. However, in my quest, I found there to be just as much skin irritants in some natural products as the synthetic products. This company stands out to me because of how nit picky they are over each ingredient they use in their products. So the message is great, but does the product work?

Packaging: This is the BEST packaging I've seen for a vitamin C serum. It doesn't look as fancy as others but it is very smart. They use an airless pump bottle. This helps to keep the Vitamin C serum stable. A lot of other Vitamin C serums use a bottle and dropper package that exposes the Vitamin C to air every time you open it. Vitamin C is highly unstable. I've read some complaints about the packaging; however, this is about the old packaging of the product. The new packaging solves the complaints about the liquid spilling out too fast, etc. Make sure you get the new packaging if you buy from a third party vendor. It should look like what you currently see on their website. The bottle pumps out the perfect amount of product. The bottle is an opaque plastic, keeping light from making the Vitamin C unstable. I prefer the plastic to glass because it is easier for traveling. The downside is you can't tell how much product you have left. But I will take that downside knowing I don't have to worry about my Vitamin C expiring before I use it all.

Product: I wanted a product that was good for aging and fading pigmentation, which is what Vitamin C is good for. Drunk Elephant's serums have been highly praised so I was excited to try out one of their serums. I didn't notice any results the first few days. However, it didn't cause any bad side effects so I persisted. My skin doesn't have active acne on it (thanks to past Accutane and my current Differin use), but it still is extremely acne-prone to a lot of products. This product did not break me out. It took about 4 weeks before I noticed results from it. My overall skin tone has definitely improved! :)

Note: The first week I had to use it every other morning. My face though was very sensitive from my retinoid gel. I had just built up using my retinoid gel every night without irritation. If using a Retinoid/Retinol, AHA/BHA, and Vitamin C serum for the first time, make sure you don't start using them all for the first time at once. Build up a tolerance slowly to your Retinoid or AHA/BHA before incorporating a Vitamin C serum. Use the Vitamin C serum in the morning if you are using a Retinoid/Retinol product at night. Even if you're not using a Retinoid/Retinol or AHA/BHA, allow your skin to build a tolerance to a Vitamin C serum. If your skin gets dry, give it whatever time it needs to recover. Some people are able to start using a Vitamin C serum everyday right away, others are not. Listen to your skin. It should always look good or better, not worse.

Overall I LOVE the product! A month later, my skin is brighter and healthier looking! My fiancee even made a comment about my skin looking great lately! It is also helping to fade stubborn pigmentation from past acne spots! I wait a few minutes before I apply my moisturizer/sunscreen. The initial tackiness goes away by then and absorbs into my skin. It wears well under makeup. It is expensive but it is HALF the price of the patented beloved Skinceuticals C EF serum! Out of curiosity, I compared it to a cheaper dupe of Skinceuticals and Drunk Elephant was so much better. I am curious though on how it performs compare to the actual Skinceuticals version, but I refuse to spend that amount. Drunk Elephant serum's pH is 3.3-3.5, which is in the effective 2.0-3.5 range for Vitamin C. Plus Drunk Elephant added a whole bunch of other antioxidants that are amazing for the skin!

on 3/22/2017 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

A little bit about myself:
-oily/combination skin but wait there is more - also sensitive
-mid 20's
-olive skin
-I live in the tropics so my makeup/skincare not only has to adapt to the insane heat + humidity but also to the office AC as well

To be honest this is only the 2nd vitamin C serum I`ve used thus far, the other one being Glossier`s one which is just not very good - peep my review for that one in its section. This was my first Vitamin C serum and I kind of wish I stuck with it rather than looking for another one - my sister noticed this *glow* in my face after she visited (thats a real thing apparently) I had only been using this for about 2-3 months.

Pros:
-You get a glow
-It improved the dark spots I had from neglecting suncreen these past few years
-Takes a sec to sink in but does not leave you feeling oily
-Mosturizer goes on easyyyy afterwards
-Drunk Elephant is made from ingredients that are safe on the skin - I noticed no irritation whatsoever which made this product perfect for my first vitamin c serum
-Safe to use with other products too - I used it with the Shiseido Serum sometimes and Luna retinol (the blue one)

Cons:
-The smell is F O U L but you`ll get over it, its worth it, after a while you don`t notice it

Protip: Don`t forget the sunscreen! If you do decide to use this in the morning + retinol at night invest in a good mosturizing cream since the combination might make your skin a bit dry.

on 4/1/2017 1:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

It smells of rotting oranges and it leaves the skin with a sticky kind of feeling. Really disliked it!

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

The emperor has no clothes! This smells like a bucket of fish heads ALL day, my grandmother even noticed the smell a few feet away after hours of wear. It also leaves an orange residue on the skin and it broke me out every time I used it, which isn't a mystery since marula oil has a comedogenic rating of 3-4! It failed on every level for me. This brand have a great social media ad campaign, that's about it.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I just don't get the hype with this brand. C Firma Day Cream did nothing for me! I've had better, "glowing" results with lot cheaper less cutesy company names. I wonder if people are drawn the "drunk elephant" name and somehow they can bypass the poor quality of their products. this stuff turned orange in few weeks, which is a bad sign for vit C product, and this happened despite the airtight packaging. I continued to use it until finished with it, but it did absolutely nothing. Right now I'm using Protini Polypeptide Cream, which is also showing no results whatsoever. So hence my negativity to the whole brand...have had no results from 2 products so my decision is made.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I received this in a holiday package set and love all of the drunk elephant products since they are made of simple ingredients. I did not see any positive or negative results from this, which is great since it is keeping my skin consistent. I would not repurchase just because the benefits did not match the expensive price.