Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

2.9

on 6/25/2018 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am trying the whole Dunk Elephant line. I have been using it for about a month. My skin has improved remarkably. The C-Firma has helped even my skin-tone and glow.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm on the fence with this vitamin C serum.

This product is so hyped up (and still unavailable in UK) that it was on the TOP of my shopping list when I went to US last November. Even the girl at the Sephora in Seattle checkout commented how excellent it is (I knew it, I watched/read enough reviews) and my husband winced at the price ($80!).

I have started using it straight away, every second day (the vitamin C in it is supposed to work inside the skin for 72 hours) two pumps - one for the face, one for the neck and décolletée whatever remained - rubbed into the tops of my hands. I'm no fit C serums newbe, I have been using it for years. Two weeks in, I can see this product is effective - my skin is brighter, dare I say even firmer? I decided to keep it in the fridge (like all the vit C serums although DE says it is not necessary, well...) and I'll use my bottle up asap as we all know, these people want to earn money, they cannot quite be trusted especially with the stability vs colour issue - it is supposed to be stable, but IS IT?!

My one does not smell repulsive at all (my rule of thumb is if it smells bad it is not good for me) - kind of fruity, sweet (not the 'Luisiana sweet rot') and delicate. It is however the light orange colour that baffles me. I understand it has ferulic acid and pumpkin enzyme in it and product with ferulic often have a light yellow colour and funky smell. I have not felt any tingling, just a delicate warming sensation for the first one or two times I used it. It glides on the skin easily and I just put on a little bit of hyaluronic acid serum on top and I'm good to go (or apply some sunscreen) as the serum stops being sticky.

The colour of the freshly opened bottle (there is no expiry date/shelf life on the product's packaging) was translucent orange so normally I would treat any other vit C as oxidised and chuck it in the bin. However Drunk Elephant states that if it is DARK orange or brown then it has oxidised. Personally I think it is unfair towards the consumer so when I finish this bottle (apparently I have 3-4 months to do so after the opening) I will buy a different serum or even the powder form of ascorbic acid from The Ordinary and mix my own serum which I know will be fresh and not oxidised. With this one - I simply don't know if it is effective (for $80 I kind of wish IT IS), so I will not repurchase.

Btw, this blog has a great explanation of the serum's colour: https://nothingserious.blog/2017/06/15/drunk-elephant-c-firma-review/
I have chucked the excessive cardboard packaging (seriously WAY TOO MUCH packaging! Although the main twist up pump idea is rather cute) into recycling so I have emailed the brand with the encrypted code that I've managed to find on the bottom of the bottle. Let's see what their reply is going to be and I'll update my review.

UPDATE: The DE company replied really swiftly to my email and here is what they said: 'Thank you for contacting us! L-ascorbic acid naturally darkens over time. If you notice this happening, even if it is that dark from the start, it does not necessarily mean that the serum is oxidized - it's just the normal reaction!

The batch code indicates that your serum has a shelf life through June 2018. C-Firma has a 1 year shelf life, however, we recommend finishing a bottle within 4-5 months from the day you opened it. This doesn't necessarily mean that your product is bad or ineffective. It's just our tip on how to get the most out of your product. '

So... I still don't know. The DE comes to Space NK in UK in the Autumn 2018 so I will have a look at the colour of it in the bottle in the shop.

on 12/3/2017 10:08:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I had quiet a awful acne scar due to breakout during Australian summer 3 years ago, and never really fade until today. So when I moved to Canada, I looked up this product at Sephora and it claims to even out skin texture, includinf heal the scars. I decided to give it a try despite the steep price. I’ve been using it for roughly three weeks now every morning, and I started to see the result. My old acne scars really fade! And it helps to heal newer acne scars as well. I will finish this product, however if my scars are all gone and there’s no new scars, I don’t have to repurchase coz it’s the only thing this product can do, at least for me.

on 9/15/2017 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I wanted to love this! But it broke me out on my cheeks where I normally don't get acne, I got little white heads the next day after using this and it was the only product I changed in my routine. I also didn't like the texture it was oily yet not easy to spread over the face. My skin felt smothered with this on. The scent is not desirable but I don't care as long as the product works for me. If you have acne prone sensitive clog prone skin like mine please use caution. I am going to try mad hippie vitamin c serum next and see how that goes.

on 7/26/2017 5:53:00 PM

I use this a few times a week. I think it might do a little something for brightening, but not sure. It does smell terrible (like hot dogs), and my face feels sticky for a few hours after I've put it on.

The packaging is genius. I love how the top twists and turns into a pump.

While I checked that I would repurchase it, it's more of a "maybe" I'll repurchase it. I think I may like to try some other vitamin C products first. It is pretty expensive.

on 4/3/2017 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This is my first Vit C serum, so I have nothing to compare it to. After doing some internet research, I came to the conclusion that Vitamin C was too unstable to realistically make a DIY serum, and choosing the right formula was essential. Drunk Elephant seemed to consistently be among the best rated and had all the right ingredients, although very pricey.

I've only been using for a couple of weeks every other day (will update my review as I go) so I haven't noticed any positive effects yet. But it hasn't broken me out or irritated my skin, so it's a good start.

I love the pump system, fancy AF. You only need a tiny amount of product, one pump covers my whole face. It feels like a light oil when you pump it out, but it dries like a thin shiny plastic layer which is a bit weird. I really don't like how it feels on my skin to be honest, it doesn't feel like it's penetrating. I tried 2 pumps once but the product was too thick on my skin and it felt so weird and looked way too shiny. Alone it makes skin feel tacky even with only one pump, so after it dries I put a thin moisturizer or SS over to soften it up. It smells like sawdust, like a carpenters workshop or a camp fire, which is an unusual but not necessarily unpleasant smell.

EDIT: The serum turned dark orange within a few weeks. It expired and I think I have over half the bottle left. There is no expiry or best before date anywhere on the box or the bottle, so how are you supposed to know the shelf life?!! Waste of 100$ in my opinion. It didn't do anything, it never felt like it was penetrating, it just sat there and made me super orange and shiny. My facecloth would be super orange after washing my face the next morning (I could also use at night due to shininess). Would not buy again, would not recommend.

on 3/21/2017 10:30:00 PM

I just love this serum. Three drops all over the face + B Hydra in the AM. You are all set!

on 11/3/2016 4:23:00 PM

This is quite a simple no frills product with vitamin C, sinks in well but this isn't anything special. I usually buy the same concentration vitamin c serum from amazon that has other antixodiants that work in conjunction with the vitamin c for around $20. I felt there was more of a difference but was curious to see what a high end vitamin c was like. There was nothing adverse but I just didn't feel it made as big a difference as when theres other goodies such as Vitamin c, ferulic, resveratrol, green tea, etc. This is a well packaged but I would not purchase again since there is no value for money.

on 5/20/2016 11:28:00 PM

I really wanted to like this product, but ultimately I returned it. I found it broke me out. I also could not get past the funky smell. I have used other vitamin C serums in the past that smell odd when the are "past" but this one is something else. The nice cashier at Sephora suggested that the strength of the vitamin C might've been what broke me out, but I am suspect of the "pumpkin extracts" and all the other stuff in there. I have used other high concentrations of vitamin C without problems.

The packing of this product is outstanding and exactly what all other vitamin Cs should be: completely enclosed and opaque so light cannot enter.

I'm surprised I'm the first to review this, so I'll include some more information.

I haven't been able to find a vitamin c product that I've liked which is frustrating because I want the benefits. They either are ineffective or irritate my skin. I found this while looking for options at Sephora and it had great reviews. Paula B also gave this a very high rating.

The line is based off marula oil, which is new to me. Oils can be iffy on my skin and so far I've had no problems.

I have been using it for about two weeks and here's my initial thoughts (I'll update it after I've used the whole jar)
- Consistency: watery with a slight viscous gel feeling. It would definitely spill all over or slip through you fingers if you aren't careful.
- Smell: earthy, non-chemical or processed. I don't love it but I don't hate it. It dissipates quickly. My skin is sensitive to fragrance, so I appreciate this.
- Packaging: It's cute and it is in a PUMP thank you! The packaging is not substantial though. It feels light and easily breakable. It is also opaque which is nice given the vitamin c, but you can't tell how much is in there and as I mentioned, it feels very light.
- Application: I squirt two squirts in my hand and then use the other hand to apply because it's watery. The two squirts cover my face and neck. I noticed that in some areas it stung a bit right off the bat which means it's got some potent stuff in there. That also dissipated quickly. It's easy to rub in, has an orange tint to the gel and sinks in. I wait 5-10 minutes then follow up with my moisturizer. When I remember, I use another squirt for my chest.
-Price: I want to say this was around $80 which is not cheap, but is supposed to be Skinceuticals' rival which is twice the cost. If it really works as effectively, bonus!

Overall I've been pleased. I haven't seen anything dramatic yet, but I use alot of products so if you're starting from scratch this may make a more immediate impact. My skin does glow and I've had no adverse reactions.

Ingredients (from their website):
1 FL. OZ
-Potent Antioxidant Complex (15% L-Ascorbic Acid, Ferulic Acid, Vitamin E (1%): Promotes collagen synthesis and protects against damaging UV rays to better prevent visible signs of aging.

-Pumpkin Ferment Extract and Pomegranate Enzyme: Both Improve cellular renewal and work to enzymatically digest surface dead skin cells and decongest pores.

-Vinis Vinifera (Grape Juice): Potent antioxidant and UV absorber that helps treat fine lines and discoloration.

-Licorice Root Extract: Brightens, lightens and de-puffs the skin.

-Indian Gooseberry: An antioxidant-rich super fruit that helps to prevent oxidative stress and degradation of skin proteins, while promoting firmness.

-Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer: Able to penetrate the skin to hydrate and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while promoting collagen formation.

-Chronocyclin: An anti-aging chronopeptide that biotransforms into Vitamin D and mimics sun exposure activation of the circadian genes. It optimizes skin physiological activities of defense and cells regeneration. Helps prevent signs of aging and sun damage.

-Virgin Marula Oil: Hydrating oil that protects, heals and rejuvenates the skin. High in Antioxidants and Omegas 6 & 9.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Ethoxydiglycol, Ascorbic Acid, Glycerin, Laureth-23, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Seed Oil, Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Algae Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Ferment Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice Extract, Phyllanthus Emblica (Indian Gooseberry) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Tocopherol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Acetyl Glucosamine, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Glutamylamidoethyl Imidazole, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tetrahydro Curcuminoids, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Glycine, Sucrose, Maltodextrin, Propanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan gum, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 60

Cruelty-Free. Gluten-Free. Recycle for Earth's Sake. Supporter of IEF (International Elephant Foundation).

Video Reviews & Tutorials