Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

3.9

on 2/20/2018 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is so overpriced. The biggest problems with vitamin C serum are smell and feel on the skin—and this is no better than other high-concentration serums I've tried, despite costing a lot more. There is no getting around vitamin C feeling tacky and gross on the skin, apparently. If this felt better on the skin that similar cheaper serums it might be worth the $$. But it isn't so it's not. I'd rather just get something from The Ordinary...even if it doesn't feel the greatest, at least I didn't spend like $100 on it!

on 9/15/2017 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I wanted to love this! But it broke me out on my cheeks where I normally don't get acne, I got little white heads the next day after using this and it was the only product I changed in my routine. I also didn't like the texture it was oily yet not easy to spread over the face. My skin felt smothered with this on. The scent is not desirable but I don't care as long as the product works for me. If you have acne prone sensitive clog prone skin like mine please use caution. I am going to try mad hippie vitamin c serum next and see how that goes.

on 5/20/2017 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

So far I've tried three DE products and this is the only one I will for sure be repurchasing. My skin is dry and sensitive so I worried that I wouldn't be able to tolerate this, but it has been completely fine. My skin drinks it in and it's easy to wear under moisturizers, foundations, SPF, whatever - it doesn't seem to conflict with anything. The packaging keeps the ingredients stable and although the price is a little high, a little goes a long way so I think it's a good value. The smell is unusual (in skincare at least. i think it smells like a jar of vitamins...definitely not a fragrance type of odor) but not terribly strong. I know the benefits of a vitamin C serum are more long term, but I swear I think my skin is slightly brighter and more even in tone and texture. The only other vitamin C serum I have tried was by Ole Henrikson and while that didn't irritate my skin I didn't notice any change, but with this I do see more of a benefit.
UPDATE: bumping it up to 5 lippies. My skin just loves this. My complexion is smooth and this seems to really prep my skin to get the most out of moisturizers. I've completely gotten accustomed to the smell so I don't even notice it anymore.

on 3/18/2017 6:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I was very curious to try DE after the positive reviews and the C Firma Day Serum seemed like a good choice as I was also looking for another vit C and ferulic acid combo (I was a fan of Skinceuticals). It's a thin and runny serum that sinks/dries quickly on the skin - definitely not rich enough to use on its own. I had great success using this in combination with Sunday Riley's Juno face oil, my face practically glowed and I could skip foundation if I wanted to. The packaging is simple and travel friendly but some of the product does seem to seep out of the pump so it was a bit annoying to have to wipe off the oxidized serum. I would definitely repurchase this over Skinceuticals and despite the hefty price tag, to me it's money well spent. However, I'm trying Deciem The Ordinary next as they've got a variety of vit c serums that you can mix and match with others and a fraction of the price of most beauty lines. Will see how that goes!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I was surprised by how much I liked this product. I've tried several vitamin c serums in the past, only to be disappointed. They were, at best, ineffective, or at worst, they broke me out. To be honest, I was pretty ready to give up on vitamin c serums altogether, but then I received a deluxe sample of DE's Framboos AHA serum and liked it so much I decided to give this product a try as well, and I'm Glad I did! This one is great! It really does make a difference in the tone and clarity of my skin. It's hella expensive and smells a little off putting (like all vitamin c treatments do) but I'm willing to look past that because the difference it makes in my complexion is undeniable. The packaging is ideal -- the pump only lets out a small amount at a time, so one pump is just enough to cover the face. I will absolutely repurchase and/or recommend this product to others. If you're looking for a vitamin c serum and you've been having trouble finding one that works for you, try to get a mini version to try it out. You might be surprised!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I got a travel-sized bottle of this in the DE Dayglow set during the Sephora VIB sale. I wanted to try it before committing to the full-sized version -- this stuff is not cheap. One week in, I am really liking this product. It hasn't irritated my super-sensitive, acne-prone, rosacean skin at all and is making it amazingly smooth and soft as baby's you know what. Here are the negatives: it's expensive, smells horrible (like burnt hot dogs - exactly like Skinceuticals CE Ferulic), and leaves my face sticky. But for gorgeous skin, I'm willing to sacrifice. I will be getting the full-sized bottle just as soon as I work my way through my current bottle of Replenix CF Cream.

on 7/5/2016 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This stuff is fantabulous! I def think its hit HG status already - and its only been a couple weeks of use, every other day. My skin is much smoother, my dry patches are virtually non existent, and my pores are cleaned out and refined (less visible). My makeup goes on smoothly and although I am using a couple different nighttime products which I know are working in conjunction with this, I def credit DE's C serum as a major workhorse within that mix.

To address the smell people are discussing... I don't know where all these meat byproducts are entering in here (hot dogs, bacon, etc) but that's cracking me up - its also not true LOL. This straight up smells like all vitamin C products do, which is slightly metallic. I used to make my own C serums and the C powder also had this distinctive smell. While its far from aromatherapy, its not too terrible and it dissipates pretty quick.

For ages I swore by Timeless ($24) and still do, which is a lot cheaper than DE's C and Ferulic mixture ($80), but I was caught in this cycle wherein no matter how well I stored Timeless, the product went bad before I ever even got a quarter into the bottle. So when I read DE's version was much more stable and didn't expire for (I think it is) a year, I was sold. Given all above, I figured the prices btw the two products eventually evened out. So I went for it and am so glad I did!

Update Aug 2017: Although I still love this product, I have come to find this is quite difficult to wear under makeup, so I can only use it on down days where I do not go out. Likewise, its sooooo sticky and shiny that I have to use it more like a mask; I can handle it on for a few hrs but then I need to wash it off bc it gets pretty annoying... Has this effected the way I feel about this product? Well, yes and no - I still love it and its HG, plus the fact that Vita C can't technically be washed off (I am only washing away the stickiness and the VC has basically soaked in) and also stays in the skin up to 3 days (ergo no need to deal with the annoyance on the daily), I am not too distraught. Still, I wish this could be worn under makeup for additional protection, but it doesn't play nice, so I have removed 1 star from my original 6 star rating.

on 1/29/2016 12:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This brand is worth every penny since you are really getting the product the company says it's giving you. And without fillers and preservatives. I've been using C serums for years and years, combing the labels looking for the real deal. This is at 15% and it means business.
I love this line. I have 2 other products to review. And soon the SPF :)
Don't you go anywhere Drunk Elephant!!

Video Reviews & Tutorials