Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.8

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Why oh why does this stuff smell like bacon? While I love the effect of its use, and the vitamin C boost it gives my skin, the smell is just awful! Since I do love the how soft and smooth my skin is after use, I will keep using it. I typically follow up its use with another moisturizer which helps to mask the smell. I also occasionally use it in my hair to give it too, the extra boost. It's really made a difference in my skin, I have received many compliments.

on 7/5/2016 11:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This stuff is fantabulous! I def think its hit HG status already - and its only been a couple weeks of use, every other day. My skin is much smoother, my dry patches are virtually non existent, and my pores are cleaned out and refined (less visible). My makeup goes on smoothly and although I am using a couple different nighttime products which I know are working in conjunction with this, I def credit DE's C serum as a major workhorse within that mix.

To address the smell people are discussing... I don't know where all these meat byproducts are entering in here (hot dogs, bacon, etc) but that's cracking me up - its also not true LOL. This straight up smells like all vitamin C products do, which is slightly metallic. I used to make my own C serums and the C powder also had this distinctive smell. While its far from aromatherapy, its not too terrible and it dissipates pretty quick.

For ages I swore by Timeless ($24) and still do, which is a lot cheaper than DE's C and Ferulic mixture ($80), but I was caught in this cycle wherein no matter how well I stored Timeless, the product went bad before I ever even got a quarter into the bottle. So when I read DE's version was much more stable and didn't expire for (I think it is) a year, I was sold. Given all above, I figured the prices btw the two products eventually evened out. So I went for it and am so glad I did!

Update Aug 2017: Although I still love this product, I have come to find this is quite difficult to wear under makeup, so I can only use it on down days where I do not go out. Likewise, its sooooo sticky and shiny that I have to use it more like a mask; I can handle it on for a few hrs but then I need to wash it off bc it gets pretty annoying... Has this effected the way I feel about this product? Well, yes and no - I still love it and its HG, plus the fact that Vita C can't technically be washed off (I am only washing away the stickiness and the VC has basically soaked in) and also stays in the skin up to 3 days (ergo no need to deal with the annoyance on the daily), I am not too distraught. Still, I wish this could be worn under makeup for additional protection, but it doesn't play nice, so I have removed 1 star from my original 6 star rating.

on 2/9/2017 11:07:00 AM

This product is why I looked at the Drunk Elephant line in the first place.

Price: I have been reading a lot lately about the benefits of using Vitamin C on the skin, so I turned to Beautypedia to get some recommendations. I was a little surprised to see that all 5-star rated products in the Vitamin C category are all relatively expensive, so it took me a while to come to terms with that. I first got this as a sample in the All Glowy Kit from Sephora, then bought the standard size bottle.

Packaging: The bottle is opaque plastic with an airless pump inside that dispenses every drop. (For reference, I took the bottle apart when I finished their Framboos, which has the same delivery system, and the interior bottle was bone dry).

Product: While the pump is airless, I would not say it's 100% dripless. This serum has a runny texture, and residue will collect on the applicator over time. I have read reviews of this that stated issues with the serum leaving an orange case on skin; I have not had this experience on either my hands or face. I like this product and think I made an excellent choice for my first attempt at using a Vitamin C product, especially given that the packaging keeps this serum stable (I've read that Vitamin C in clear glass droppers will sometimes go rancid due to light exposure or will need to be kept refrigerated, which would guarantee that I would never use it). I don't find it to have an irritating smell. I put it on after showering in the morning and follow up with my HG moisturizer (CeraVe cream). I like that it is easy to dispense and apply.

Overall, I've had HG-level results from this DR product and their Framboos, to the point where I am now slightly afraid to go off-brand in an attempt to save money, especially considering that most of the other Vitamin C products I looked at cost as much as this or more. I think if I can commit to using Vitamin C in my routine as I have with other products, this will be my staple.

on 3/18/2017 6:33:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I was very curious to try DE after the positive reviews and the C Firma Day Serum seemed like a good choice as I was also looking for another vit C and ferulic acid combo (I was a fan of Skinceuticals). It's a thin and runny serum that sinks/dries quickly on the skin - definitely not rich enough to use on its own. I had great success using this in combination with Sunday Riley's Juno face oil, my face practically glowed and I could skip foundation if I wanted to. The packaging is simple and travel friendly but some of the product does seem to seep out of the pump so it was a bit annoying to have to wipe off the oxidized serum. I would definitely repurchase this over Skinceuticals and despite the hefty price tag, to me it's money well spent. However, I'm trying Deciem The Ordinary next as they've got a variety of vit c serums that you can mix and match with others and a fraction of the price of most beauty lines. Will see how that goes!

on 8/20/2017 12:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is quite pricey. But I feel like it has been doing a great job in giving me a glow in the mornings and improving my skin texture and lightening my sun damage. The packaging is great, ensures the vitamin C doesn't oxidise quickly.

The Drunk Elephant C Firma Day Serum is a great vitamin c serum that you can apply in the morning before products that contain sunscreen to give your face an antioxidant boost as well as protection from free radicals. This serum is super light and absorbs quickly. Better than that is the fact that it is fragrance free and packaged in a manner that protects the beneficial ingredients from light and air. This is definitely a more expensive Vitamin C serum, but if you don't mind the price this is one of the better options out there. Vitamin C is a great brightening antioxidant that should be a part of everyone's skin care regimen, especially if you suffer from hyperpigmentation.

If you are thinking of purchasing right now the set Come C About Me gives you the full size serum plus the Jelly Beste Cleanser, B Hydra Serum, and the Umbra Sheer Tinte Sunscreen in deluxe sample sizes for almost the same price as the C-Firma Serum alone.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I'm on the fence with this vitamin C serum.

This product is so hyped up (and still unavailable in UK) that it was on the TOP of my shopping list when I went to US last November. Even the girl at the Sephora in Seattle checkout commented how excellent it is (I knew it, I watched/read enough reviews) and my husband winced at the price ($80!).

I have started using it straight away, every second day (the vitamin C in it is supposed to work inside the skin for 72 hours) two pumps - one for the face, one for the neck and décolletée whatever remained - rubbed into the tops of my hands. I'm no fit C serums newbe, I have been using it for years. Two weeks in, I can see this product is effective - my skin is brighter, dare I say even firmer? I decided to keep it in the fridge (like all the vit C serums although DE says it is not necessary, well...) and I'll use my bottle up asap as we all know, these people want to earn money, they cannot quite be trusted especially with the stability vs colour issue - it is supposed to be stable, but IS IT?!

My one does not smell repulsive at all (my rule of thumb is if it smells bad it is not good for me) - kind of fruity, sweet (not the 'Luisiana sweet rot') and delicate. It is however the light orange colour that baffles me. I understand it has ferulic acid and pumpkin enzyme in it and product with ferulic often have a light yellow colour and funky smell. I have not felt any tingling, just a delicate warming sensation for the first one or two times I used it. It glides on the skin easily and I just put on a little bit of hyaluronic acid serum on top and I'm good to go (or apply some sunscreen) as the serum stops being sticky.

The colour of the freshly opened bottle (there is no expiry date/shelf life on the product's packaging) was translucent orange so normally I would treat any other vit C as oxidised and chuck it in the bin. However Drunk Elephant states that if it is DARK orange or brown then it has oxidised. Personally I think it is unfair towards the consumer so when I finish this bottle (apparently I have 3-4 months to do so after the opening) I will buy a different serum or even the powder form of ascorbic acid from The Ordinary and mix my own serum which I know will be fresh and not oxidised. With this one - I simply don't know if it is effective (for $80 I kind of wish IT IS), so I will not repurchase.

Btw, this blog has a great explanation of the serum's colour: https://nothingserious.blog/2017/06/15/drunk-elephant-c-firma-review/
I have chucked the excessive cardboard packaging (seriously WAY TOO MUCH packaging! Although the main twist up pump idea is rather cute) into recycling so I have emailed the brand with the encrypted code that I've managed to find on the bottom of the bottle. Let's see what their reply is going to be and I'll update my review.

UPDATE: The DE company replied really swiftly to my email and here is what they said: 'Thank you for contacting us! L-ascorbic acid naturally darkens over time. If you notice this happening, even if it is that dark from the start, it does not necessarily mean that the serum is oxidized - it's just the normal reaction!

The batch code indicates that your serum has a shelf life through June 2018. C-Firma has a 1 year shelf life, however, we recommend finishing a bottle within 4-5 months from the day you opened it. This doesn't necessarily mean that your product is bad or ineffective. It's just our tip on how to get the most out of your product. '

So... I still don't know. The DE comes to Space NK in UK in the Autumn 2018 so I will have a look at the colour of it in the bottle in the shop.

on 4/22/2018 4:46:00 AM

It is a well formulated vitamin C serum with good ingredients and nice packaging, BUT (as with every single product in the Drunk Elephant range) you can find WAY cheaper products that are just as effective as this for like half the price. So while not saying it's a bad product, having purchased the entire Drunk Elephant range I haven't seen the slightest improvement in my skin vs. my previous skincare routine (which was mainly based on Paula's Choice and Trilogy sensitive range) so I won't repurchase any of their products.

on 6/25/2018 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I am trying the whole Dunk Elephant line. I have been using it for about a month. My skin has improved remarkably. The C-Firma has helped even my skin-tone and glow.

on 3/11/2019 9:04:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

Eyes: Violet

So, if you know anything about Vitamin C, you know it’s HIGHLY unstable (particularly in the L-AA form). It oxidizes quickly and loses efficacy. Additionally, some studies show that oxidized product can be bad for your skin. Adding ferulic acid helps stabilize Vit C products, but it’s still not something you should stockpile.

Drunk Elephant’s C-Firma has a reputation for oxidizing quickly, but mine (the Little size) arrived oxidized. It was a very orange color, and I immediately knew what that meant. I mentioned it to DE founder/CEO, Tiffany Masterson, on Instagram (kudos to her for being accessible and responsive that way), and her reply was that it’s ok for it to be oxidized because, “we did the testing.”

OK, first of all, do a quick search online and you can see DE’s pat response to anyone who emails about this problem is that they did the testing. (They do provide their stats, as well.) In-house testing is great - if backed by independent studies that confirm it. Second of all, for the money DE charges for its stuff, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a product to be fresh upon purchase.

Sephora (love them) sent me a replacement, but that also arrived oxidized. I give up. I’m sticking with my original brand.

I really love DE’s Lala Retro, but this experience is making me very wary of the brand, as a whole.