Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

Filtered by age: 30-35
Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.0

I'm surprised I'm the first to review this, so I'll include some more information.

I haven't been able to find a vitamin c product that I've liked which is frustrating because I want the benefits. They either are ineffective or irritate my skin. I found this while looking for options at Sephora and it had great reviews. Paula B also gave this a very high rating.

The line is based off marula oil, which is new to me. Oils can be iffy on my skin and so far I've had no problems.

I have been using it for about two weeks and here's my initial thoughts (I'll update it after I've used the whole jar)
- Consistency: watery with a slight viscous gel feeling. It would definitely spill all over or slip through you fingers if you aren't careful.
- Smell: earthy, non-chemical or processed. I don't love it but I don't hate it. It dissipates quickly. My skin is sensitive to fragrance, so I appreciate this.
- Packaging: It's cute and it is in a PUMP thank you! The packaging is not substantial though. It feels light and easily breakable. It is also opaque which is nice given the vitamin c, but you can't tell how much is in there and as I mentioned, it feels very light.
- Application: I squirt two squirts in my hand and then use the other hand to apply because it's watery. The two squirts cover my face and neck. I noticed that in some areas it stung a bit right off the bat which means it's got some potent stuff in there. That also dissipated quickly. It's easy to rub in, has an orange tint to the gel and sinks in. I wait 5-10 minutes then follow up with my moisturizer. When I remember, I use another squirt for my chest.
-Price: I want to say this was around $80 which is not cheap, but is supposed to be Skinceuticals' rival which is twice the cost. If it really works as effectively, bonus!

Overall I've been pleased. I haven't seen anything dramatic yet, but I use alot of products so if you're starting from scratch this may make a more immediate impact. My skin does glow and I've had no adverse reactions.

Ingredients (from their website):
1 FL. OZ
-Potent Antioxidant Complex (15% L-Ascorbic Acid, Ferulic Acid, Vitamin E (1%): Promotes collagen synthesis and protects against damaging UV rays to better prevent visible signs of aging.

-Pumpkin Ferment Extract and Pomegranate Enzyme: Both Improve cellular renewal and work to enzymatically digest surface dead skin cells and decongest pores.

-Vinis Vinifera (Grape Juice): Potent antioxidant and UV absorber that helps treat fine lines and discoloration.

-Licorice Root Extract: Brightens, lightens and de-puffs the skin.

-Indian Gooseberry: An antioxidant-rich super fruit that helps to prevent oxidative stress and degradation of skin proteins, while promoting firmness.

-Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer: Able to penetrate the skin to hydrate and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while promoting collagen formation.

-Chronocyclin: An anti-aging chronopeptide that biotransforms into Vitamin D and mimics sun exposure activation of the circadian genes. It optimizes skin physiological activities of defense and cells regeneration. Helps prevent signs of aging and sun damage.

-Virgin Marula Oil: Hydrating oil that protects, heals and rejuvenates the skin. High in Antioxidants and Omegas 6 & 9.

Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Ethoxydiglycol, Ascorbic Acid, Glycerin, Laureth-23, Lactobacillus/Pumpkin Ferment Extract, Sclerocarya Birrea (Marula) Seed Oil, Ferulic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Algae Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Lactobacillus/Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Fruit Ferment Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Juice Extract, Phyllanthus Emblica (Indian Gooseberry) Fruit Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Tocopherol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Acetyl Glucosamine, Hydrolyzed Quinoa, Glutamylamidoethyl Imidazole, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Tetrahydro Curcuminoids, Sodium Hyaluronate Crosspolymer, Glycine, Sucrose, Maltodextrin, Propanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Xanthan gum, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Polysorbate 60

Cruelty-Free. Gluten-Free. Recycle for Earth's Sake. Supporter of IEF (International Elephant Foundation).

on 11/25/2017 9:14:00 PM

I've used 2 bottles of this stuff and will not repurchase. I understand that you're looking for a cumulative effect as opposed to overnight results, but I didn't see any change in my skin after using this for over a year. Each bottle lasted about 6 months. I used once daily under sunscreen often mixing with the BHydra or the Marula oil. Packaging is supposed to keep air out. As the product is colored orange it's difficult to tell if it went off or not. Not worth the heavy price tag in my opinion. I will try another vitamin C serum.

I've purchased maybe four bottles of this stuff. Initially I was persuaded by the great review on Beautypedia (Paula Begoun's website) and what I heard in the blogsphere about it being a cheaper replacement for Skinceuticals vitamin C +E + Ferulic serum. Now, after maybe 18 months of continuous use, I'm not convinced. I don't think it did any damage, but I don't think it's really helped my skin that much. Plus, I'm skeptical of DE's claims that the yellowing of the serum is due to the tumeric included in the formula and not the vitamin C oxidizing. Not that I ever got that far past three months of use with each bottle---I think each bottle lasted me somewhere between 3-6 months. And because the bottle is opaque (good for limited exposure to antioxidants) I couldn't tell when the product was nearing empty. One morning I go to put it on and BAM! it's gone. Not a huge deal (I'd rather have the antioxidants stable) but it's a bit annoying. Also adding to my skepticism about the oxidation claims is the fact that my face felt a bit tighter and brighter at the beginning of each bottle, and less so towards the end. I would immediately repurchase (no lapse beyond 48 hours) between bottles, but yet the new bottle would feel noticeably more active on my skin. Made me think the product was degrading quite quickly.

Bottom line: Good, but not great.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

The emperor has no clothes! This smells like a bucket of fish heads ALL day, my grandmother even noticed the smell a few feet away after hours of wear. It also leaves an orange residue on the skin and it broke me out every time I used it, which isn't a mystery since marula oil has a comedogenic rating of 3-4! It failed on every level for me. This brand have a great social media ad campaign, that's about it.

on 3/24/2018 6:54:00 PM

This burned the ever-loving hell out of my face. It also smelled like carrots and was orange. Like the serum itself was orange. Is that what vitamin c serum is supposed to look like? Either way, I am scared of trying any vitamin c- based product ever again. So, bla!

on 10/12/2017 9:37:00 PM

This is a terrible C serum. I have nothing against Drunk Elephant and some of their products are my HG's (Lala Retro, B hydra), but man this C serum is garbage. I always keep my L-AA serums in the fridge so they don't turn before I can use them up and I have a bottle of Timeless C+E Ferulic that's been in my fridge for over 6 months and it's still crystal clear. Well I purchased a bottle of C Firma a month ago and it's been in the fridge since the day I got it and it's turned brown. Not golden or even orangish, it's totally an ugly oxidized brown. Like WTF. It's also super oily and at this point I'm not going to put it on my skin because it's so oxidized what would be the point. I'm glad I have my bottle of Timeless and I will be sticking with that since I've had great results, no oxidization and it's really inexpensive.

on 11/3/2016 4:23:00 PM

This is quite a simple no frills product with vitamin C, sinks in well but this isn't anything special. I usually buy the same concentration vitamin c serum from amazon that has other antixodiants that work in conjunction with the vitamin c for around $20. I felt there was more of a difference but was curious to see what a high end vitamin c was like. There was nothing adverse but I just didn't feel it made as big a difference as when theres other goodies such as Vitamin c, ferulic, resveratrol, green tea, etc. This is a well packaged but I would not purchase again since there is no value for money.

on 2/20/2018 7:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This is so overpriced. The biggest problems with vitamin C serum are smell and feel on the skin—and this is no better than other high-concentration serums I've tried, despite costing a lot more. There is no getting around vitamin C feeling tacky and gross on the skin, apparently. If this felt better on the skin that similar cheaper serums it might be worth the $$. But it isn't so it's not. I'd rather just get something from The Ordinary...even if it doesn't feel the greatest, at least I didn't spend like $100 on it!

on 6/27/2018 2:15:00 PM

I've used this product for over a year. I feel like it does a good job in keeping my skin hydrated but I didnt notice any difference in my skin looking more brighter and renewed. I felt like I was adding serum to my skin routine without the benefits vitamin c would because I didnt see a difference in my skin. I also felt like it oxidized quickly. The color is a dead giveaway. From what I've learned from research, vitamin c is supposed to colorless. I'm not a chemist or anything, but if the product is orange and turns into a darker brown overtime, then I believe it oxidized so for $100 CAD what was I putting on my face? I've used it for over a year as I believed its marketing claims, but learned so much more as I researched and have come to realize that I may have wasted money on a hydrating serum. Now I'm using a topical vitamin c powder and I definitely see a difference in brightening and my face looks renewed - overall, my face looks healthy. I do not recommend this product.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is an awesome new(ish) brand, I'm loving all their products so much that I bought the whole line. It's a small line so far, but I think it will grow even more, as the products really are amazing. There is a lot of consideration from Drunk Elephant on every single ingredient they put into their products, more so than most companies. This serum has absolutely excellent ingredients and feels lightweight and slightly moisturizing. It's hydrating, but those with dry skin will still need a moisturizer afterwards. I have normal to dry skin & I always use a moisturizer after this. I can see the difference in my skin after using this for 2 weeks. My face looks brighter, more radiant and even toned. The red marks I had from a PMS breakout have faded quickly. It's pricey, but money well spent, as this actually works, which is more than I can say for most products, sadly!

Popular Face Skincare Products