Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum

Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum
C-Firma Day SerumC-Firma Day Serum

3.6

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I bought into the DE hype and decided to try this serum along with a couple of other DE products. I say save your money and skip this one. I've used several Vitamin C serums and this is my least favorite. I haven't had any negative reactions to it, but due to the fact that this is oil based it makes my skin very shiny and a bit sticky. I also don't love the packaging. When I spend this much I want packaging that looks and feels elegant and this looks and feels like it's for children. The pump doesn't even work that well and causes a bit of a mess. There are water based serums at the same concentrations available for much less that work better for me. As far as the scent, this smells the same as every other vitamin C serum I've tried. All Vitamin C seems to smell a bit funky, but it goes away once dried.

on 11/8/2018 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Unfortunately, this did not work for me. It did absolutely nothing for my skin, and oxidized to a dark amber color within 2 weeks (!) This serum also smells horrible and left a lingering unpleasant odor on my skin during the day. Would not recommend.

Pros:
none

Cons:
No visible change in my skin
Crazy fast oxidation
Smells terrible IMO (and leaves a lingering scent)
Price

on 4/25/2018 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I recently repurchased this for the 3rd time. The new packaging is much better than the old packaging. Now it's a twist top pump which I find it much more convenient & neater than how it was previously. The product itself is easily my favorite part of my skincare routine.

A thin orange serum packed full of vitamin c + other great skincare ingredients. While the $80 price tag for 1fl oz is pretty steep, there's nothing on the ingredients list that I find questionable. My skin drinks this stuff up. I love how it makes my face appear brighter. I've been using this in conjunction with the Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer SPF 47 in the morning & my skin went from terrible to good within a week. I've heard so many people say that this product helped fade old acne scarring. It's helping me in that department too.

This product gets so much hate because it's expensive. Sure there are cheaper vitamin C serums out there. But people opt to buy pricier things all the time even though there are more affordable alternatives. If you're able & willing, there's nothing wrong with treating yourself. If you can't then that's absolutely understandable. If you wish you could... you'll get there one day! If you can afford high-end skincare but don't want to spend your money on it... fantastic! That doesn't change the fact that this is an excellent serum.

on 4/12/2017 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first skincare item I've ever spent over $50 on and I have no regrets.

People's main gripe about this product seems to be the price and that you can find similar vitamin C serums for a lower cost. To some people, the $80.00 price tag on this is outrageous; while others would spend double that or more on skincare items without batting an eye. I'm one of those people who is in the middle. Will I ever buy a skincare item that costs over $100? I doubt it. But I was able to pull the trigger on this one and see myself repurchasing. Why?

I use two pumps of this product on my face every 2-3 mornings, after cleansing and before going in with any other skincare. The results I see justify the price tag for me. My complexion is noticeably brighter. I've heard that this is one of the best vitamin C serums on the market for increasing collagen production. I appreciate the fact that a good vitamin C serum increases the efficacy of any SPF applied over the top. It feels like my skin drinks this stuff right up. I'm almost done with my first bottle and it's lasted me almost 6 months, which is much longer than I expected. There's no ingredients on this product's ingredients list that make me uncomfortable or that I feel iffy about putting on my face.

Another big gripe in the reviews is the scent... I think I'm a freak of nature because I actually like the smell of this serum. Sort of fishy, sort of metallic, sort of citrus-y. Skincare isn't supposed to smell good though it's like taking a shot of wheatgrass or taking fish oil supplements. You do it for the health of your body not because you want it to taste good.

I bought a sample of this and was sold after 3 uses. I suggest trying out a few different samples of vitamin C serums before sealing the deal and buying a full-sized bottle.

on 10/6/2016 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the first high end skincare product I've ever tried. I looked through the ingredients list of this serum and couldn't find a single thing I didn't like. That's amazing for me, as I've grown extremely picky about the ingredients in my skincare products. Now, this product is $80.00 for 1fl oz. Pretty steep but after trying a sample I loved it and with much trepidation I purchased it. The longer I use this serum, the more my uncertainties over whether this is worth the price or not continue to diminish. It's like a glass of orange juice for your face! (an expensive glass of orange juice.)

The ingredients in this serum stay active after application for 72 hours. Even if you wash your face every day you'll continue getting the skincare benefits for at least 3 days, thanks to the presence of Sodium Hyaluranate Crosspolymer (which evidently makes this stuff so easily absorbed into the skin that it remains active underneath the skin long after the face is cleansed.) So to make it last, I only apply this once every three days. Two pumps in the palm of my hand, then I use my fingers to spread this all over my face and pat/rub it in.

The serum itself is the consistency of water. On the Sephora website it says the consistency has been thickened slightly to "improve the overall user experience". Maybe I got one that wasn't reformulated yet but either way, the thinness of the liquid isn't bothersome. The color is bright orange and some people have reported that it leaves their skin orange, but I'm very fair-complected and once it sinks in it doesn't leave any discoloration.

The scent is hard to put a finger on... it's mildly unpleasant. I tried a sample of the Ole Henricksen Truth Serum once and it smelled like rotting fish. This kind of smells similar, but the fishy smell is way less toned down to the point of being virtually unnoticeable. I feel like what I can smell most is the Vitamin C... if you've ever taken Vitamin C tablets (especially sugar-free ones) you know they have a distinct smell/taste. It's not the best, but skincare isn't always necessarily going to smell the best, so that's okay with me.

The claims of this product are as follows:
- protects against free-radicals.
- replenishes lipids to reduce wrinkles, firm, and brighten skin.
- pumpkin ferment and pomegranate enzymes gently dissolve unwanted skin cells.
- anti-aging.
- supports natural collagen production and cell regeneration.
- pH level of 3.3 to 3.5.

In my experience, using it in the morning 2-3 times per week, this serum has singlehandedly made my skin more luminous and radiant. I haven't noticed any reduction in wrinkles but that's not really what I'm after when it comes to this particular product. I'm more interested in the long-term benefits and protection. Not to mention the immediate benefits: my skin looks and feels better overall. If I go without this product for a week or so, I can tell that my face doesn't look as good as it does when I'm using it regularly. I always follow up with my Josie Maran Argan mosturizer with SPF 47 and the combo has been doing me well. NO BREAKOUTS!! No adverse reactions. I've also heard that using a vitamin c serum increases the efficacy of your SPF, which is pretty awesome.

The last thing I want to talk about is the packaging. I haven't had any problems with the pump. I've noticed that if I try to dispense it with the bottle standing up, some of the serum gets on the side of the pump. But that's just because it's running down the side due to being so thin, not because the pump or packaging is broken (although it looks like it's leaking, it's not.) To avoid this I hold the bottle in the air but on it's side and pump the product so that it dispenses downward into my palm. I like that the packaging is completely airtight, which protects and preserves the product as long as possible. I kind of don't like that the packaging isn't clear because you can't tell how much is left in it, but I know what the benefits of an opaque packaging far outweigh the minor nuisance of not being able to put a finger on exactly how much product is left. Aesthetically, the packaging is pleasing. That doesn't matter if the quality of the product inside is terrible, but when the quality of the product is great pretty packaging is an added bonus.

I will continue to repurchase. My skincare routine in the morning consists of cleansing, toning, this Vitamin C serum, and a high SPF/moisturizing combo. Since I'm using so few products, I'm okay with splurging on ones that I can tell really make a difference in the quality of my complexion.

Popular Face Skincare Products